/pcbg/ - PC Building General - Doggo edition

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/XVcLRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/tpKDgL
pcpartpicker.com/product/7vX2FT/powercolor-radeon-rx-560-2gb-red-dragon-oc-v3-video-card-axrx-560-2gbd5-dhv3oc
asrock.com/mb/amd/AB350M/index.asp#Memory
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132989
amazon.es/dp/B06WWPDJ95/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_4HfEzbMA0RBNT
amazon.com/Dell-S2417DG-YNY1D-24-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B01IOO4SGK
s.aliexpress.com/yaQFFZnm
pcpartpicker.com/list/bZhw2R
pcpartpicker.com/list/gdMLxY
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZxgGbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/KhsJCJ
nordichardware.se/nyheter/radeon-rx-vega-prislapp-sverige.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sorry for the delay in getting a new thread up. I got caught up in an argument on /o/

pcpartpicker.com/list/XVcLRG
Just wanna play first person shooters like overwatch, doom, and call of duty
rate pls

Both the CPU and the GPU are overpowered for games like that. You could get away with a 1400 and an RX 560 and still be perfectly playable

what were you arguing about? was someone posting (((the image)))

pcpartpicker.com/list/tpKDgL
More RAM, ATX board, better PSU, more storage, SSD, fancier case
Get the 1050ti now and wait for the GPU market to go back to normal until you upgrade
280$ for a 1060 just isn't reasonable
You could get a slightly weaker card for a similar price almost 3 years ago
The 1050ti will do just fine for the next 2 years
The RX560 would be a weaker but cheaper option that will also do fine
pcpartpicker.com/product/7vX2FT/powercolor-radeon-rx-560-2gb-red-dragon-oc-v3-video-card-axrx-560-2gbd5-dhv3oc
Get yourself a mechanical keyboard and some decent 15$ mousepad

The parts in red will be transplanted from my current PC. Thoughts?

Some retard starting an argument that all small cars were death traps

If you're spending that much on the cooler, motherboard and memory, why not an 1800X?

ordering the gpu after the price is lower of course but thanks for the advice, also i plan on ordering the parts on different weeks and days so ill slowly build a pc

used R9 280x or new 1050 ti?

Because the 1800X is a meme? I need a lot of connectivity on the mobo for the next stage of my autism.

>he's never seen kei cars
you were right the whole time

>nex
if you want evga get a g2/g3 otherwise go seasonic

please rate quickly, itching to buy

full tower is a meme and you're spending too much on a motherboard.

swap the psu for a higher end corsair, seasonic, or evga unit. Everything else is alright.

ram won't reach 3000 mhz, ryzen is a bitch when it comes to ram

ok thanks!! i upgraded to a ryzen 7 1700, swapped the motherboard for an ASRock because i read that that gigabyte mobo wont boot linux (???), changed to 32gb ram also. still look good?

p.s. i'm cheaping out on the gfx card because i kind of want to wait until the next gen and either get a discounted 1080ti or a good new one.

i upgraded to a ryzen 7 1700 is that better?

looks good, just double check the QVL for the asrock board to make sure your ram is compatible at appropriate speeds.

not sure if trolling but a 1050ti is shit tier if you have the money to buy a seasonic prime and 32gb of ram get a better gpu first

I suggest less ram and get a slightly better mobo.

There is no point to more than 16 GB of RAM unless you need it for a specific purpose.

Also a better GPU. Less ram for sure though. I suggest either a GTX 1060, 1070, or a RX 580/570

see asrock.com/mb/amd/AB350M/index.asp#Memory

^ i dont know what the fuck any of this means, can you help?

Does R1600 have a protective film on it? Is thermal paste on the stock cooler enough for it?

Looked though it. I suggest dropping from 32GB to 16GB, also slightly lower speed. The speed differences are negligible unless you plan on doing something that uses up lots of ram and constantly requires ram usage.

this, but ryzen works well with higher frequency ram. 3000mhz is the sweetspot.

should i not get a better mobo then? can you suggest one?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132989
Thoughts?

All mobo listings should tell you what RAM speeds are supported.

Can you guys rate my setup?

I want to play dark souls series the most of any game.

Which one is better price/performance, a 6700k with a mobo that allows OC or a 7700 non k with a cheap mobo.

Still looking at prices and the performance I'm seeing the 1600-1700 seems like the way to go because the only games I need to run at 120-144fps+ are shit like OW that the ryzen does perfectly, triple AAA shit and normal games I'm fine with 60-72. But I also like to do a lot of old consoles emulation and some badly optimized single core games like KSP and Intel still win on those sadly. Only one I'm seeing ryzen flexing it's cores it's the ps3 emulator.

neither.
Ryzen 5 1600 on a B350 OC motherboard

thanks so much for your help guys. I decided to bite the bullet and go with the 1080ti, upgraded to a fucking 200 quid PSU, downgraded to 16gb ram, and chose a motherboard with bus speeds in the screenshot.
Only thing i'm not sure about is the motherboard. is this gonna be OK?

You can OC Ryzen to 4GHz with basically no effort at all, and then we're talking frankly unnoticeable framerate differences.

You don't need a platinum PSU desu. Gold is far and away enough for a nerd's gaming rig.

The supernova NEX is horrible

What the fuck

No need for such an overpriced PSU
Just get a Seasonic G

id rather not risk everything getting fried by the PSU if im buying a 700 quid graphics card tho

m.2 cooling is relatively new. having it under the gpu on the mobo doesn't help either.

Aren't these things rated for 60 degrees tops?

Get a case without a PSU, those usually suck ass
Get a Seasonic G 550 or 650W, those are cheap-ish and good
What speed is that RAM?
Get a Ryzen 1600 and drop the cooler

I've been using a Bronze PSU for over 4 years. The ratings denote efficiency, not reliability. Just stick to reputable brands and pick the highest rating that's reasonable for your budget, with Bronze as an ideal minimum rating.

already paid..

Of course, but the 80+ rating isn't too relevant
The Seasonic G would be perfectly fine
Super Flower Leadex Gold (also known as EVGA G2 and G3) would also be great

Yeah, looking at the benchmarks and shit out there It's hard to justify paying (at least here in spain) 200-240€ premium for the intel oc setup just because It will be somewhat better in 2-3 things. When at everything else I need the 1600 does as good or better. And looking at some CEMU/dolphin/pcsx2 benchs it will be an improvement over what I have and for rpcs3 ryzen's looking good.

Is pic related a solid choice? Will I be able to upgrade to ryzen+ or whatever is called for the extra ipc and clockspeed? Will I be able to oc this ram or is it better to pay the premium for 3000 ram?

>Will I be able to upgrade to ryzen+ or whatever is called for the extra ipc and clockspeed?
Yup. You'll just need to update the bios before upgrading

Faster RAM would be a good idea
And get an ATX board unless you really want that small form factor

are corsair PSUs not good then? i kind of need to buy on this website and I can't find any 750W PSUs that aren't either the seasonic titanium or corsair. could i get away with a 650W? I'm buying a 1080ti now so i'd rather be safe.

i am also at a loss as to which motherboard to pick. the ASRock looks fine, but it's pretty cheap. Someone suggested a "slightly better one". I need some examples because I'm pretty lost.

Man I'm not used to that kind of nice for the consumer practices. So many years with intel got me used to some bullshit. Last AMD cpu I ever had was the athlon x2 6000+.

Holy shit I'm checking ram prices and they are out of whack. What the fuck is going on? Also, what's the go to chipset for ryzen, b350? is this board good?
amazon.es/dp/B06WWPDJ95/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_4HfEzbMA0RBNT

Forgot to add on the mb shit. Since I have a windowless, simple looking case I don't mind how does it looks even if it has leds or gaming bs on them. As long as the price/performance/realibity is good I don't give a shit.

>could i get away with a 650W? I'm buying a 1080ti now so i'd rather be safe.
You could get away with 550W. The only time you really need to go over 600W is if you're getting a dual GPU system or something equally exotic.

Welcome to M2 SSDs, buy a cooper heatsink.
They are rated for 70°C before the thermal throttle kicks in.

I guess this is proper thread for my question.
Is it possible to find a decent 21-27 inch monitor for graphic design/3d modeling under 300 USD?

>are corsair PSUs not good then?
The Corsair AX is really good but also really expensive
Corsair CX are low end PSUs, avoid them
650W would also be fine
What site is this?

ebuyer.com
i realised my case was ATX and my mobo was mATX so i removed both and i'm taking suggestions.

just case and motherboard now!! getting there.

MSI B350 gaming pro carbon and the Krait are great
You can also get a gigabyte X370 gaming 5 if you want a fancy board and don't mind spending the money, I have one myself and I really like that board
And what Asrock?
The Pro4 is nice, the others are alright

>Also, what's the go to chipset for ryzen, b350?
Yes. B350 is the go to. It supports overclocking and crossfire, but not SLI. Nobody SLI'd anymore so that's fine.
>is this board good?
Yup. I'm personally getting the white version, the Tomahawk Arctic.

amazing, thanks so much. i heard gigabyte doesn't jive with linux very well and this is gonna be a dual boot so i went with the msi.

the final build:

What res? I use Asus MX239H (23") and MX259H (25") (both 1080p) and they're pretty damn good.

just realised i totally forgot about sound.
does anyone know of a reasonable mid-range sound card with some speakers to finish this build off?

Looks good to me
Depends on the headphones/speakers you want to use

eh, im plugging it into a TV for now so HDMI sound will have to do for the moment.

just about to click BUY, any final advice?? which type of hellman's should i put between the motherboard and the cpu?

At least 1080p.

What?

hellmans mayo??? which kind, does regular work or should i use low fat

Sound cards are a meme.

X370 Carbon Pro Y/N?

I want to buy a new gaming monitor, but I'm hesitating if I should go for 1440p 144hz or 1080 240hz. Is 240Hz worth it or is it just to expensive atm? Also is G-Sync worth the extra money.
I am currently looking at this monitor: amazon.com/Dell-S2417DG-YNY1D-24-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B01IOO4SGK
Any one have any experience with it?

144 is better, the extra pixels are not worth sacrificing

Sup

I got a new motherboard for my 4460 that has a fuckload of settings (a GA-Z97-HD3) to fiddle with. I noticed as of late that a few select tasks I did under the same exact conditions last year run slightly slower.

I noticed that there are many options for turbo boost, EIST and such. Would it be a terrible idea to disable these?

Can't find the RAM's product code in the qvl but pcpartpicker says it's compatible. Wat do?

pcpartpicker only cares about whether the RAM is DDR4, basically. It does not check the QVL list for the mobo or anything.

There's only a few modern games that can be pushed to 240fps on max settings with current hardware. Better to go for pixels.

40€ for 7 fans. Should I pull the trigger? I probably won't need that much and end giving two or three to a friend since I'll fit them in a phanteks evolv mid tower. I don't remember the exact same model.
s.aliexpress.com/yaQFFZnm

if buying these stuff from chink stores are totally avoid, what 120mm fans should I get?

thanks everyone. im also getting a keyboard and mouse off amazon. can you lot think of anything else I need? I'm hooking it up via hdmi to the 4k tv in my lounge for now

Well that sucks. Thanks for the help.

couple questions
apparently the armor card is bad and gets really hot. should i be worried about this?

2) why the fuck did i get a ryzen again? £50 more for a 20% performance bump if i'd gotten an intel?? what is it with you guys and your fucking AMD memes i'm gutted and my parts haven't even arrived yet

>2) why the fuck did i get a ryzen again? £50 more for a 20% performance bump if i'd gotten an intel?? what is it with you guys and your fucking AMD memes i'm gutted and my parts haven't even arrived yet
Because you're an idiot for getting 8-core CPU and only using it for single-threaded tasks? Because that's the only scenario where the 7700k is 20% faster and I have bad news for you, you should've just gotten an i3.

it hasn't arrived yet, but that's good to know

I tend to upgrade incrementally. I have my new CPU and Motherboard picked out and I'm upgrading to a larger SSD. Gonna wait a year or two to buy a new GPU since the 390 can still handle most things at 1080p and I don't want to buy a new monitor just yet.

Mostly stuck on what RAM to buy next. I'll be getting a Ryzen 5 and I've never purchased DDR4 RAM before. I use my PC for work, video editing, and a lot of gaming.

Any suggestions?

Can someone recommend a budget cpu cooler?

>40% faster clock
>20% faster speed
wew Intel sure knows their tech

A Netflix machine for My mom. Browsing photos and Fb, paying bills.

I have a HDD, dvd reader, case and possibly a PSU. There might even Be 1-2Gb Ram somewhere. I have extra keys for Windows 7.

Trying to keep it as cheap as possible. Is integrated graphics good enough or are they completely shit?

I'd just find a used pc off Craigslist. I see the Dell optiplex models on there all the time.

integrated graphics is good even for light gaming like low settings minecraft, mid settings portal/2, lol, ow, and I think a friend was playing some CoD that had zombies with the iGPU from an i5-6400

Because the 1700 is superior in everything that isn't single threaded
This includes modern vidya

pcpartpicker.com/list/bZhw2R
Looking to add an ssd to my laptop. Is there much of a difference in write speeds? Are larger ssd's faster/more reliable?
I only need around 200gb of space, but the price/gb is better on the 500gb so it's hard for my autism to justify a smaller one.

Integrated is fine
Just get a pentium G4560 or maybe some APU if you can find a good deal

As a side question, anyone ever use those hdd caddys to turn their disk drive into extra storage? I never use it and seems like a waste to not use the old hdd.

How about this?
pcpartpicker.com/list/gdMLxY
Cheaper:
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZxgGbj
Another as cheap as possible build:
pcpartpicker.com/list/KhsJCJ

>nordichardware.se/nyheter/radeon-rx-vega-prislapp-sverige.html
This is a fucking joke right?
Please. Someone tell me this is a fucking joke.

R U M O R S
U
M
O
R
S

My computer randomly power cycles. I updated the bios and that solved it for a bit, but it started doing it again.

Thanks in advance.

It better be. I have been waiting for fucking months.

Are there websites that do?

they are, a giant tiny penis truck is going to fare better in a car crash than a smart car or a compact hatchback

couple questions
why are you baiting on a anime imageboard?

why do you suck at it?