/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

rbt.asia/g/thread/61561761/#61567039
head-fi.org/f/threads/the-ultimate-hd600-vs-hd650-poll-closed-hd600-wins.698372/
aliexpress.com/store/product/electronic-2015-brand-3-5mm-Original-Genuine-TAKSTAR-HI2050-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Headphones-Music-Headset-studio/526268_32279127183.html
amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-PS4/dp/B00SAYCVTQ
monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Friendly reminder that the hd600s are lumpy mids, rolled of treble overpriced meme cans designed in the 90s typically recommended by weebs who don't actually listen to music, misinterpret evidence to fit their narrative of it being neutral, and refuse to make proper suggestions for good price/performance cans.

Hifiman he-400i and ath-ad1000x are both much better open back cans.

>Sennheiser - can't stump the mid lump

Ad1000x is nobass
400i is chink build quality

>No bass and shitty build quality
>Not Sennheiser

Headphone cup snapped off. It's plastic, any suggestions to fix it short of sending it back to the manufacturer? Memes

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

>Chink quality
>Implying shitheiser doesn't ship drivers for the headphone to China for final construction
>Implying the hd600s aren't famous for the snaptastic headband.

HD580

>Neutral

Friendly reminder that DiPolarDisorder is a shitposter who is unqualified to speak about headphones because he doesn't even understand the concept of HRTF and replies "you can't read" to anyone who conclusively proves him wrong: rbt.asia/g/thread/61561761/#61567039

Gas station $5 earbuds EQ'd to audeze lcd-2 levels of performance.

>Hifiman he-400i and ath-ad1000x

>frequency response with more peaks and dips than the Himalaya
>better than HD600s

Correct. Neutral.

Hi.
Will i hear a difference to my onbaord sound (ASROCK z270 extreme 4) if i buy a Amplifier or a DAC?
I have the Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones.

I read that for example a FiiO E10K makes your headphones only louder but will not give you a better sound.
Is this true?

What i have to buy to have a better sound than the onboard sound?

I am not really disstatisfied with the onboard sound but if it could be better i woudn't say no.

Friendly reminder that shillheiser faggots literally misinterpret their own citations, can't read fqr graphs, and will say anything that fits their mud lumpy 600s neutrality narrative.

Also friendly reminder that I pissed off a shillheiser faggot so bad that he feels the need to post this, and quite frankly I'm flattered.

Also friendly reminder that you still can't read or refuse to read.

>and replies "you can't read" to anyone who conclusively proves him wrong
That last thread was hilarious. He did this after being BTFO like three times.
400i's bigger problems are no upper mids and peaky treble.

>That shit tier driver matching in a $300 headphone

>be called a shitposter
>respond with "shillheiser" shitposting
Pottery.

>hurr X is unqualified according to my own interpretations
>Says user number 32159875635

>thinks that ear canal resonance at 3 kHz is a "treble spike"
>thinks that soundstage is solely a function of crossfeed and frequency response and not driver size and angle
Wow this tripfag is a fucking idiot.

/hpg/,

Should I sell my full-size headphones and buy a pair of in-ears?

Depends if you're using stuff on the go often, if that's the case then yes. I've tried using full sized cans in public and it's annoying to carry them around. Besides being bulky the isolation isn't ideal either. I have 2 sets of IEMs for the road, etymotic er4xr and heir audio 4ais. They're both great, sensitive enough to be driven by my Google pixel, and as long as you get a good seal they'll offer much better isolation.

Why do you even bother? I mean, look at this:
These faggots will always use just what supports their opinions and ignore everything else, hell, i bet most of them haven't even listened to the headphones they like talking about.

>buy DAC
>it's Optical only
>okay
>buy an Optical cable
>plug Optical cable into Motherboard
>there is red light coming out of the other end
>plug it into DAC
>turn DAC on
>no sound
>go into sound panel
>set "Optical Out" to default device
>restart computer
>no sound
Why the fuck can nothing ever work? I swear to god, NOTHING fucking works. It's a miracle that my 3.5 jack works, it truly fucking is.

Are you the guy who bought the smsl dac? I'm 90% sure those require you to download driver sets from their website.

Is this tripfag a false flag? I used to shit on HD600 shills cause they were so obnoxious but this tripfag is making me reconsider.

There are no drivers for this fucking SMSL DAC
I am never going to buy another fucking product with an optical port again in my life, I don't fucking care if it has USB/Coax/3.5 if it has an Optical port I am going to fucking boycott it until this garbage non-working obsolete fucking tech DIES.

Are you even surprised? Obnoxious generates obnoxious, i say let them argue to death.

>yfw

>People will pay a hundred more for shitty driver matching with less balanced FR AND DEFEND IT

What model is it? Are there two optical options in volume mixer? Genuinely trying to help out here.

>Samefagging and false flagging at the same time

:^)

Is this you?

The SMSL DAC works. It is not a problem with the DAC, I plugged it into my TV's Coax and lo and behold, sound.
So it's an issue with my garbage ASUS mobo (last time I ever buy an ASUS product) not working properly. The light is running through the cable and I've got the Optical Out set to default with a youtube video playing for sound in the background, I am hearing absolutely fucking nothing.

>i want only good sound
>i have to read houndreds of guides to choose good headphones and a dac
>i still don't know what i should get
Fuck you i want only good sound on my pc. Why is this shit so complicated?

Yeah, the optical port on my PC is completely utterly physically fucked, don't even know why it's lit up. It just physically does not work, I put sound through HDMI to my monitor then out through the monitor's coax. I have sound now, but there is an unlistenable amount of noise on the line so this isn't a solution.
Unbelievable, I am going to vent some serious rage on some stupid ASUS customer support rep in a few minutes.

It's not unless you are autistic enough to care about frequencies you will not hear.

Because everyone thinks a different sound is a good sound, you need to find the one that suits your needs.
You wouldn't go to a PC parts store and say "I only want a good PC" neither.

You don't put Tabasco sauce in your rigs? WTF is wrong with you

You fucked yourself over, congrats.
You won't need a DAC if you don't hear audible noise/static. You can try it with a USB Sabre DAC from HifimeDIY since those are pretty cheap.
>a FiiO E10K makes your headphones only louder but will not give you a better sound
An amplifier would do that unless your headphones weren't being powered properly or your onboard's noisy.
>What do I have to buy to have a better sound than onboard?
X2's are pretty sensitive so probably just a DAC.

If anyone needs cheap closed headphones then get the Akai Project 50x

Its price keeps dropping and is way worth the 20 bucks it's currently going for.

Top measurement clearly shows one channel sealing better than the other. Tyll's measurements exhibit sealing problems on a regular basis.

Before I give up completely, will one of these 3.5mm to Toslink adapters work from a PC 3.5mm jack to an Optical Input?

Just send the piece of shit back. If you want USB, the Fulla2's an option.

The Fulla 2 is ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY FUCKING DOLLARS
TWICE the fucking price.

>$160
It's $100 USD. The fuck are you, a leaf?

Thank you!

So i should test it with a cheap DAC first?
Wouldn't it be better to buy a more expensive one in the first place?

for example a
>M-Audio Transit Pro 32-Bit/384 KHz
or a
>JDS Labs Objective2+ODAC RevB

Or is this exaggerated?

I am sick of you obese fucking Americans having the entire world pander to you. If you live literally anywhere other than America you cannot buy 90% of anything for a reasonable price despite the fact it's all fucking made in China anyways.

should i get the HD650s or these for metalcore/post-fagcore?

currently have Shure SE215 and HD518

funnily enough the US gets cucked on HD650s, the most recommended headphone on Sup Forums or basically anywhere. glad to be UK fag

HD600 is more recommended than HD650 on Sup Forums and on the internet. head-fi.org/f/threads/the-ultimate-hd600-vs-hd650-poll-closed-hd600-wins.698372/

Get fucked faggot. You will never experience true freedom.

You should get the HD600.

>Transit Pro
That's retarded expensive for just a DAC.
>O2+ODAC
You can build one since the design is open source and be done for quite a bit cheaper. Most would go Schiit Stack (Magni2+Modi2), Fulla 2 (Compact baby version of a Schiit Stack that uses USB Power from the PC) for their "Audiophile Starter Pack"
Build an O2 or DAC X6, Silly Goose.
You're not quite wrong. 600/650's price is usually up the ass due to popularity. We're even more cucked on K712.
>SE215 and HD581
Both would be anemic to you honestly. 650's not much different than than the 600 which can be considered 'no bass' to some and your previous headphones. X2's lack sub bass extension. You might be better off with K712/K7XX. They're not near as bassy as your SE215 or 518 but they're clearer than X2 and have a pretty wide soundstage.

>just buy an O2
Yeah, because I have $5000 fucking dollars to spend
Jesus fucking christ I just wanted a budget option.
I'll just buy a Fiio, they're the one company that hasn't fucked me over yet. Obviously I can't fucking trust anyone else.

I refuse to buy AKG since Harman fucked up the company

>which can be considered 'no bass' to some
Some people have too much melanin.

I want to lick her feet...

>Most would go Schiit Stack (Magni2+Modi2), Fulla 2
Thank you very much.
Is the shiit stuff better than the O2+odac stuff?
I live in germany and i can't find a shiit reseller here in europe so i have to import the things and have to pay a lot of taxes :/

Hello, I'm looking for a new pair of headphones in the 50-60$ price range mainly for gaming and movies. I used my previous pair with my computer, I can't remember what they were called but they were made by Creative in the 30 or 40$ range, think they were part of a e-sport line up.
I found pic related. Are they any good?

>I can't read the word 'Build'. It's not part of my vocabulary
I also suggested the DAC X6.
>I can't trust anyone else
Check in with /r/headphones, they'll tell you about how good M50X's and 598C's are coming from cheap earbuds.
>Germany
Schiit stuff is more affordable with similar power output in the US than buying a prebuilt O2+ODAC. It can also be built since all the parts are 'Off the self' at a cheaper cost. The DAC X6 is also a recommended Amp/DAC Combo though should be avoided with low impedence headphones below 80 Ohms.

Gaming headsets represent exceptionally poor value for money. Allow me to demonstrate:
aliexpress.com/store/product/electronic-2015-brand-3-5mm-Original-Genuine-TAKSTAR-HI2050-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Headphones-Music-Headset-studio/526268_32279127183.html $41 headphones
amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-PS4/dp/B00SAYCVTQ The same headphones with shittier earpads and a shitty mic for $97
Get a SHP9500S and a V-Moda BoomPro. This combination represents good sounding headphones and a quality microphone; excellent price to performance ratio.

>should be avoided with low impedence headphones below 80
ah crap i think the fidelio x2 have only 32 ohms :/
But thank you very much!! I will research how much taxes i would have to pay if i import the shiit things.
Maybe it's still cheaper than the O2+DAC even with taxes and shipping.

>build a DAC
Yeah, because I'm an electrical engineer with $200 worth of tools.

DAC X6 is prebuilt. It's a Monoprice Desktop Amp in a chink box. Cheap soldering kit does the job fine.
You could just buy the O2 with a cheap USB DAC like the ones off HifimeDIY. They won't sound better than a Modi2 or ODAC but they won't sound worse either.

So this piece of shit doesn't have a good DAC, does it?
monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567

It's fine. The only big flaw with it is the output impedence of 10 Ohms.

I'm looking to replace my portapros and it seems like I should either get the Koss KSC75 or the sportapros. I'm leaning towards the KSC75s since they seem easier to carry around but I'm worried they wont stay on my ears as well. Anyone have experience with the two?

So I need to buy a $300 DAC or there's no point even buying a DAC, right?

KCS75 is leaner in bass with more treble and the SportaPro clamps harder than Portas making them bassier and muddier than PortaPros already somewhat are.

Did you ever have issues with the KSC75s falling off or being uncomfortable after a while? I've had a few pairs in that style that were unwearable after an hour or so.

you have two optical out choices. that is not right. why not go into device manager, delete the devices and rescan. and possibly update your realtek driver. optical is good cuz electrical isolation so don't give up.

Too late, already processed a return.

how bad is my amp Sup Forums?

If i buy a dac and a ampf. seperatly how do i connect the things?

PC -> AMPF -> DAC -> Headphones?

And thanks for the tip. If it doesn't sound worse than i buy this combination

The clips work fine. If you find them too loose you can bend them to make it tighter.

I'm looking for some in ear wireless headphones with out a pairing cord.

Chinkshit, or proper.

What's the best solution for powering both speakers and headphones from the same device? I'm using an AV Receiver right now, it's completely functional except in the odd application having a "ghost" monitor because of the additional HDMI output coming from my card in addition to my main one causes problems. Is there a USB Headphone amp that powers speakers too?

>USB Headphone amp that powers speakers too
* speaker amp that powers headphones too

>He want bass
>HD 600

I have $200-$300 to spend on headphones. I travel a lot and am looking for something that is noise canceling/ reducing. I do not know much about headphones, but I feel like BOSE is a normie meme. Do you friendly guys know any good noise canceling headphones???

Also I am in the U.S. if that helps. I mainly listen to podcasts and 60s-70s rock.

I unironically find the DT 880 to be enjoyable to listen to.

Come at me /hpg/

Headphones are subjective. If you like your headphones, then you don't need shills telling you otherwise.

Get the X2 if you don't want to ever worry about getting an amp.

If the speakers are passive, emotiva has a really nice integrated amp with headphone amp, dac, and 50wpc to stereo speakers for $399.

woah...a reasonable reply to someone mentioning Beyerdynamics

Quite decent. The DAC is made by Texas Instruments.

Same here, never had a problem with them nor the HD600 to be honest, all this hate is just silly.

Need a cheap but decent pair of iems, was gonna go with either xiomi hybrid or KZ zts3 or KZ zts5, I'm leaning towards the zts3 bc they're only $8 but I'm worried that they'll be uncomfortable bc of the bulky size

What would /hpg/ do without shitposting? Recommend headphones?

i wouldn't be worried over $8. the cable for my shures cost more than that

Newfag here, lookin for some decent in-ears. Have the sennheiser momentum but realised to late that they are very poorly build. I´ve got a budget of about 100 Bucks and I am currently thinking about buying the bose soundsport if the sennheiser ones start to fail. If you know better ones, let me know. Cheers.

The shell on them is fairly light, it looks heavy but it isn't.

shure se215

Shure se215. Darker sounding but they have a detachable cable.

>Monoprice
It'll break.

>What would /hpg/ do without shitposting? Recommend headphones?
That would be madness i tell ya, MADNESS!
On a serious note though, /hpg/ could use some oc for a change, this recycled shitposting is getting boring.

Etymotic ER-4SR
They do not have active noise cancelling but measurements show they actually block 5-15 more dB than Bose QC35.