Buying a workstation for gaming

are workstations good for gaming ? i am planning on buying a Lenovo ThinkStation S20 workstation Intel Xeon W3550 (3.06GHz 1066MHz 8MB L2) are they good for gaming ?

Bump for interest

What graphics card? SSD?

i Guess if you throw a good GPU in that could do the trick but i'm not a fan.

>not gaming on a server
step it up, son

Why would you do that? To be unique and different?

Why would you spend more on a Server to use it for something it wasn't meant to?

Redditors I fucking swear.

>doesn't know the difference between a server and a workstation
>calling someone a redditor

you can get surplus workstations for cheap. The spend the rest of your budget on a gpu and have less invested then you would if you pieced it out.

if its dual socket, you are going to have a hard time utilizing the full capacity of you CPUS.

something stupid like 10 cores isn't really going to matter either.

slap a decent graphics card in there and you'll be fine tho.

the excess CPU capacity that you aren't using for gaming could help you run background tasks tho while you game tho so its not inherently a stupid idea if the price is good.

its shit for gaming.
w3550 is outdated, system probably either has no dedicated gpu or something like a quadro (drivers are not optimized for gaming). you might pay for things you don't need, i.e. ecc ram.
if you want gaming, just get a normal pc.

Let me use my brain for a moment because you can't use yours.
If we rephrase the question
>Can a CPU with a GPU play vidya?
Yes.
>How good?
Like most games, the GPU matters much more than the CPU. So "how good" depends on GPU more than CPU.

my S20 fulfills my needs fine with a 1050ti, even with a weak-ass E5507 in it, but I don't do much with 3D stuff, mostly just Rust and Space Engine anymore
>Redditors I fucking swear.
you don't even know the difference between servers and workstations and you're going to act like you aren't just another retard that only comes here for mindless brand sheep shitposting? fuck off and kill yourself you dumb nigger
none of that shit is expensive, and we don't live in the '90s anymore where that ancient workstation GPUs are shit for gaming meme came from, they might take a slight performance hit with the drivers but not enough to give a shit about and ultimately they're just a shitty value for the money as a new part

The W3550 is basically an i7 9xx series with some enterprise firmware.
You're basically buy a 1st gen i7 System.
Those have no aged terribly well.
Yeah, you can do some stuff on an old i7-960, but it's age is pretty apparent. Even an i5-2500k beats it handily in EVERY benchmark. And by wide margins, in most. And even then, Sandy Bridge is pretty old and outdated, itself. But for the money, someone's 6-year old "custom build gaming PC" for $300 on Craigslist with an i5-2500k would beat the pants off the S20.

Where, off ebay

>not gaming on a server OS

and why is dual xeons bad for gaming

It's usually an excellent deal. Don't go so old, though.

You would be better off purchasing a used dell optiplex 990 and putting a graphics card in it.

Because you're generally focused on single thread performance in games.

12 cores is great, but your bottleneck is going to be those slow (by today's standards) cores waiting for each other.
Multi core architectures are excellent for server applications, where many users are making relatively small requests.

Source sauce on pic.
looks super comfy desu.

>Games are generally focused on single core performance.
Noooo Ryzen stronk! I encode video all day so I need 8 cores! Games are for people who are not busy ricing i3 on their arch install with anime girls.

Make your own workstation

E5 1620 v4 qs
El cheapo x99 mobo with v4 qs compatability
3000 rbg rams
Buy a server atx case

ECC ddr3 is a lot cheaper than non-ECC, on the secondhand market at least.

No one really knows but my advice go for a Lenovo D20 or hp z600 with dual cpu and get some recent gpu + chinese ssd.

No.

Workstations sacrifice GOTTA GO FAST for (((ENTERPRISE))) RELIABILITY.

no those have already been through a few middle men and the price goes up with each pass. you got to go to the source. E-recyclers, schools, office complexes. problem is those places usually won't sell a single machine and prefer to sell in bulk. but you can get lucky.

i play the fuck out of hella games on a Pentium 4 thinkcentre bithc u think i give a fuck about you libtards lol.

>Sandy Bridge is pretty old and outdated
My 4.7Ghz 2500k would like a word with you. For 1080 it's still fantastic. The only time it falls behind is in pos early access shit, which runs terrible on everything.

Check fleabay and the govdeals websites. I picked up five i7 4790 systems with 16gb ram 256gb ssd with nvidia gtx 660s for 200 a pop in dec last year. Replaced those gtx660 with 7950s and some other amd cards since nvidia is dog shit unless itsbtheir best card