Visit Hacker News

>visit Hacker News
>most popular post is titled "Why I'm learning Perl 6"
>comments section full of people saying they're going to drop Go/Elixir for Perl 6 after just a month of learning the former, despite it being an order of magnitude slower than Python and filled with more gotchas than C++
have these dullards done anything productive in their lives?

Other urls found in this thread:

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14859740
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14856561
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't want to scare you, but I know of one senior engineer for a major financial institution who is currently updating the backend pools on their haproxy configs with perl. their entire infrastructure is also basically all special snowflakes and each node is a manual setup LOL.

go is worse

i thought perl was some kinda niche scripting/specialized task language like awk

wtf

it's called job security

>news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14859740
Reminder that destroying culture is OK as long as it isn't MY culture.

it sort of is. it was originally intended to do a lot of file manipulation and and walking filesystems.

only it's not. I got brought in to redo the whole thing with a proper service discovery layer. believe it or not writing obfuscated code isn't a good way to keep your job any more.

It is a full independently built language, but some selling points are language decomposition and working with filesystems.

Perl6 is a great language, but a lot needs to be done to moar vm before it takes hold of the programming landscape.

I thought that Radoku is the official implementation?

>despite it being an order of magnitude slower than Python
I thought it was the other way?

The longer I'm on HN the worse the comments get. I'm sure someone will chime in pointing out how they are so much better than you because they learnt lisp / implemented a scheme interpreter and how it revolutionised their thought processes.

I'm still waiting for the day someone actually posts something lisp related that actually links to actual fucking code they've written that isn't just SICP exercises.

no?

this is the same website who talked about GNU yes versus other implementations of yes.

like buffering output or using zero copy IO is some nextgen concept. though the freebsd faggots changed their yes after the fact.

Who wouldn't want an open source flash?

Don't forget they learned lisp AND they are feminist and they aren't bigots

>have these dullards done anything productive in their lives?
Have you?

CL can be a really is a fun way to try and tackle stuff but the community is definitely full of itself. Take for example Clojure. I myself am not a fan of the JVM at all, but if it's giving a modern platform (that can scale) for a lisp that is pretty cool I think--even if much of the language still needs to be figured out. I really hate lisp developers that dismiss it because they are shooting themselves in the foot. HN just seems like it's become a niche domain specific version of reddit and now it's all people trying to one up each other on a public stage. really gross, boring, and unproductive.

>implying perl isn't faster than python

just to make sure you're not a dunce, you do know that both perl and python libs are implemented in various languages, and there are cases in which a python library (lets say implemented in C) is faster than a perl library in some cases. there are also some perl libs faster than python libs. Just stop thinking in black and white and add some gradient to your life

>Perl 6
>literally the duke nukem forever of languages

people are actually using it? it only looked semi useful because of the whole grammar's and actions block, but most languages have some peg or ebnf generator.

hacker news these days is just full of wannabe entrepreneurs and whatever is left of hipster + sjw audience once they mix

there's still like one or two links a day that are interesting though. which sadly is more than what i can say for Sup Forums these days

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14856561
not even the best article today desu