Rust or Swift?

Rust or Swift?
Which language do you think is smarter and generally better.
inb4 apple/mozilla haters.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/F2V852x7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

> Rust or Swift
Pajeet detected.

Neither, I hate Java like the plague but it's still miles better than those two piles of shit.

Rust is far more versatile. Swift, albeit much better for productivity, is practically nonexistent outside Apple's platforms because the open source community doesn't care enough about it to write useful libraries.
That said, I still wouldn't use Rust in most cases. I'd rather write an equivalent Go program in 1/4 of the time.

I have never seen a Rust project or code snipet by my colleagues or friends

Rust is already dead, that's what you get for overhyping a meme language. And Swift is an okay language on it's own but it doesn't have clout outside of Apple.

Swift is generally better, but a true rustfag could probably make some good arguments for rust being smarter, if any still exist.

Why the fuck are you asking this dumbass question, user?

Python is the best for getting things done. Swft is the best on apple products. C++ (if used correctly) and presumably rust is best for performant applications

None of them are OOP. C++ is OOP

>Swift is not OOP

Well then, I stand corrected. C++ and Swift is OOP

Swift because it's contained to its shitty ecosystem.
Rust apologists are all like "OMG REPLACE C", ignoring that their shitty-ass language can't even pass all tests on FreeBSD or OpenBSD

this has to be some fucking epic bait
but WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU USE ANY OF THOSE LANGUAGES?

Rust fag here, why shouldn't I use it?

English not your 1st language?
Why are you using it?

>SJWift

English not your 1st language?
Why shouldn't I use it?

rust.

swift is dead

rust can run natively clientside or within the browser

redoxOS and Tor both use rust

rust can also be used to play games in the browser

>expunging same-sign pairs
If anything, that example shows it's anti-SJW :^)

projects using rust

Magic Pocket – Dropbox's file system that powers their Diskotech petabyte storage machines[46]
OpenDNS – used in two of its components[47][48][49]
Redox – a microkernel operating system[50]
Piston – a game engine (Official website)
OnePush – a notification delivery system developed by OneSignal[51]
REmacs – a port of Emacs to Rust[52]
MAIDsafe – P2P Internet project currently being developed by a team in Troon, Scotland. See: maidsafe.net
Lucidscape Mesh – a distributed real-time simulation engine for virtual reality.
Tor – an anonymity network.[53]
IOTA – a distributed ledger cryptocurrency.[54]
Pijul – a distributed version control system inspired by Darcs.[55]
Railcar – a container runtime by Oracle.[56]

most of the people here are crossposters that use apple or chrome and they have a personal vendeta against rust

dont expect any actual arguements from them

all those projects summed amount to no more than a dozen end-users

I saw a VMWare blog that they are using Rust for some of their internal VMWare client components

I don't really see the problem with this

I can't tell you how often I see students who decided to only ever use preincrement instead of postincrement because they thought they were the same thing and then later on down the line they try to use its return value and it doesn't do what they want and they have no idea why.

"return a value and then perform an operation" is an annoying concept in the first place, and "add one then return the value" is handled fine by +=1

Yes you can find a use for preincrement, but chances are you shouldn't.

>swift dead
what?

>Current state of Sup Forums

that's what I thought.
two shills have been deposited into your sjw account.
>fucking kill you're self

Swift is OOP and Protocol oriented.

>implying dropbox alone doesnt have more users than swift
>frogposting

Fuck see I accidentally swapped preincrement and postincrement in that post

How old are you?

whomst are you quoting, /r/The_Donald tourist?

Rust already won the 2017 survey.

sorry but windows and apple users are irrelevent here

>t. iToddler brainlet

Rustfags and swift fags are okay. There is no language fight in between.

Swift fags argue with Obj-C fags, Rust fags argue with C++ fags. They are not in the same field.

Get your facts straight, OP

This.

>98% of the world is irrelevant here

t. autistic nobody

Swift, people actually use it and it doesn't have a pile of crazed fanboys who try to shove it down everyone's throats.

Do all the projects follow the code of conduct though?

>personal vendeta

Rust isn't inherently shit, it's shit because Mozilla is incompetent at literally everything besides web browsers, and even then they're simply making the bad decisions on purpose instead. Nearly every update to the language can be summarized as "your program is broken again". No one gives a shit about these meme tools while even Rob "convenience is bad" Pike's pet project has some real users like Netflix and Docker.

If anything your examples are a perfect example of what we are talking about when we make fun of Rustfags: most of them are so overly ambitious that it's hard to believe they were serious projects. Another imaginary currency when Asspenny is the accepted de facto standard? A remake of Emacs, a project that is defined by the programming language it is already written in?

It's an overhyped language that is only popular with people who have nothing better to do than to constantly adjust their code.

Hell, even C is OO, you can inherit through aggregation and methods are just function pointers.

I can't think of a niche where they would overlap. Swift is for """app""" development for iOS and macOS, Rust is for back-ends, system programming, and other high-performance/high-reliability stuff. You wouldn't use Rust for your Flappy Bird clone, and you wouldn't use Swift for a high-perfomance network service, browser engine or an OS.

Oh, and the funniest thing about Swift - its compiler is written in C++.

>Hell, even C is OO, you can inherit through aggregation and methods are just function pointers.
You have to do some special stuff in order to handle virtual methods though.

Here's my C OOP implementation with support for inheritance.

pastebin.com/F2V852x7

>confusing
You must be a real dumbo if you find them confusing.

Rust has been "stable" since 1.0 in that if your code compiled with 1.0 it should still compile with 1.18 or whatever it's at now (I haven't verified this but that's what they claim). However they're adding new features left and right and there hasn't been time for best code practices to develop. As such everyone wants to make their code use as many of the new features as possible. Compound that with the fact that most of the actually useful language features (specialization, impl Trait, native async, pi types) are still in the experimental phase but can still be enabled in the compiler which is what actually leads to constantly changing code. I really want to like Rust but it's really not mature enough atm for much besides toying around.

>What are the best programming languages?

>assembly can be useful but its for autists only
>VHDL is better than Verilog but as every HDL it sucks ass

>At high level there is only C++ and Java

Fuck the rest. Trash.

>Oh, and the funniest thing about Swift - its compiler is written in C++.

To be fair, the entire compiler backend of Rust is also written in C++, as it's the same used by Swift (LLVM)

Also to be fair the backend us written in a very consistent style and has coding guidelines around it. True both languages use LLVM right now but that could change in the future easily for both.

Rust compiles into its own intermediate language now a days (MIR) and does a few optimizations on that. Not sure about Swift.

>rust or swift

white nigger detected

Swift is literally the successor to Objective-C

I was always interested in programming and gaym dev, I was also fascinated by technical side and optimisation, but I am too low of an IQ for that. However SWIFT looks like a nice thing to start with, graphical representation, auto filling and other shit. Is it a good language to start with for someone who wants to fuck around and have fun or I should look somewhere else?