Debian Sid/Unstable

People are telling me that I shouldn't use it. Give me ONE reason why I SHOULDN'T use Debian Sid/Unstable.

Other urls found in this thread:

hastebin.com/raw/wemimocisa
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'd say give it a try. I've been using it for a while now with 0 issues, but you should at least be prepared to troubleshoot; it is the "unstable" release after all

This, but...

If you intend to just whine about bugs and breaks and you're unable to do anything without hand-holding, then you'd be better off with stable.

I've been using it for 3 years and I'm happy with it. Install apt-listbugs though.

If you're a regular user there's nothing "unstable" about it.

Excuse the dumb question, but is debian unstable not basically the same as a rolling release arch? I've had much less trouble with more or less bleeding edge distros than with ones where everything's outdated. Heck even on my servers.

hastebin.com/raw/wemimocisa

no security updates are a good reason to consider stable. Rolling release has stable and testing versions, while Sid is just unstable.

I see, thanks.

Debian just released their new stable branch, so you really shouldn't worry about the "ancient packages" meme. For now.

Where the fuck you'll download it now?

I will save you. Listen to my words carefully.
You have a sickness I had once.
The sickness is obsessing over newest packages or compiling from source etc. to have the "cutting edge". It is a real pathology, I am not kidding or exaggerating.
There are very FEW cases where that is a good idea.

You need to decide to cure yourself of that disease

I run Debian 9 STABLE now and it's SO comfy. Put some nice DE like XFCE on it, and enjoy the comfiest life possible. Secure and stable.

Get rid of that obsession. You don't need the newest packages unless there is a really RARE case but I am almost sure you don't have that case.

Only thing I can think of offhand that I would really want is the Mesa stack, because every release brings even better performance.

Right, maybe if you have that need.
But for most normal Linux users, it's 100% better to use a stable release instead of a meme rolling one.

"I compile newest from source with tags" etc. and they gain 0.1% performance for a lots of work and diminished security

It's not rational

What's the "diminished security" angle?

gentoo is fasterer

>diminished security
what
if anything it's added security since the attacker would need to know your cflags beforehand to know they have affected the code (for ROP)

until you accept whatever apt suggests for actions and end up removing crucial packages

Stable was frozen to new updates, barring bug fixes and security updates, six months before it was released.

> no security updates
Yeah, no security backports because those patches are in the normal update channel. They don't need to be cherry picked to be applied to the older packages.

You need to be a fucking faggot in order to use Gentoo.

Honest question: Old applications could be an open door for attackers? Like old version of the torrent client?

not using devuan the very least, giving at spin for the first time on this dedicated shitposting computer

bacause an idea of passive testing is cancer. Nobody reported bugs for a caople of weeks? It stable now!
Just use openSUSE Tumbleweed if you want stable rolling release (get ready to reinstall drivers after kernel update though) or Arch - if you one of thoose no-life crazies.

please stop taking tech advice from a japanimation website

> relying on users to test bugs.
Uh, what's the alternative? Because upstream already has test suites, or doesn't, but no distro adds them. Do they have an AI to test for bugs? Do they read about bugs in the morning horoscope?

Debian stable has a security update channel where security fixes are backported to the older versions. This it's dependant on the maintainer or security team (depending on the severity) being available to port the patch but I honestly haven't heard of a case of someone suffered because a maintainer was on holiday when a CVE was announced.

>Sid/Unstable.
>for-what-purpose.jpg
when there is testing?

for me it was gentoo

You don't download unstable. You install a minimal stable Debian, upgrade to Testing, upgrade to Unstable, then install what you want.

Yes, they do have an AI to test for bugs. It pushes random buttons (a LOT) and watches for unexpected behavior.

Testing gets new versions that fix vulnerabilities and bugs that are discovered with at least a 10 day delay. It's also the only release that isn't maintained by humans.

>decide on a distro known for its stability
>follow unstable release track

Why shouldn't you? Do it, but don't blame us afterwards.