ITT: Reasons we haven't moved to Linux

pic very much related

Other urls found in this thread:

autodesk.com/products/autocad/free-trial
google.se/search?q=photoshop torrent&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=oRN6WdXIIOGO8QeV5YaYCg
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
peppercarrot.com/
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE
sites.google.com/site/wwwlinuxiumcomau/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have a chink keyboard thats programming software is for windows and refuses to run in wine I have a shit ideapad s100 that I use solely for this software since that piece of shits bios is locked down tighter then a darpa blacksite.

Okay now open an AutoCad project that you are working on alongside a project in PS.

I'll wait

What's the problem? Can't your computer run more than one program at a time?

No, I'd like to see an example of you actually using the programs. For all we know you just pirated a bunch of Windows-only software in an attempt to "le ebin trollololol" Sup Forums

I don't feel like wasting my time installing programs to spoonfeed you on how to use programs on windows.
Even my granny knows how to open multiple programs.

>Normie Stuff
>Firefox
>Eve

You are truly autistic.

For the tech illiterate (You)(You)(You)
autodesk.com/products/autocad/free-trial

google.se/search?q=photoshop torrent&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=oRN6WdXIIOGO8QeV5YaYCg

Jope you manage to survive the day without getting brain damage.

Video games.

So you have no AutoCad projects and you have no PS projects.

Nice troll thread

every linux desktop looks like shit

This wasn't difficult.

I use Autocad daily, and PS for visualisation - pic related is something I'm working on in my spare time,

>google.se
stop shitposting muhammad

I see. Very interesting.

BTFO gg freetard

>what is vpn

That's not my name, Mc Burgerlardface, nor does it have any relevance to this thread.
You're just mad you can't use both programs as flawlessly proved here.

bahahahaha, rekt

>posting from vpn
reported

>implying I want to use shitty cracked programs to express my artiness like a 15 yo emo girl
wew lad

:^)

exclusive content
/thread

This pasta provides some suggestions for those who are interested into start experimenting with linux or that may need some replacements for certain software. It's just suggestions don't take it as someone trying to make people switch to linux.

Kicad
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
Natron
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
Blender
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
Lightworks
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
Kdenlive
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
Unity3D
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
Opentoonz
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
Godot engine
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
BricsCAD VS Autocad
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
Bricscad
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
Freecad Demo
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
Freecad BIM
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
Freecad & 3D printing
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
Gimp 2.10 features
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
How to install photoshop on wine
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
Digikam
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
Pixar Film Production
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
Linux art 1
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
Linux art 2
peppercarrot.com/
Davinci Resolve
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

Also, this pasta addresses common arguments regarding games:

Not him but the no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE

wsl is awful though

>exclusive content
Is exclusivity necessarily a good thing? at what point it becomes a dangerous lock-in? Honestly i prefer portability because i don't feel like getting married with an specific company. I respect if someone needs a very specific program that's available only in a specific platform, however that's not the same as implying that having that same program available on more platforms wouldn't be a good thing.

OP here:

>brics cad
As shown previously I'm in AEC, bric is completely lacking for this.

>blender
>krita
fair enough, but these are 'fun' tools and not really relevant

>FreeCAD BIM
I've actually tried this. Utterly lacking

What is completely unaddressed by your pasta:

>ETABS
>SAP2000
>Inventor
>Robot

There is nothing on linux that is remotely comparable to these that I know of.

If you know anything - definitely update the list.

>As shown previously I'm in AEC, bric is completely lacking for this.
Ok, in the pasta there's a comparison of features, depending on the use case someone may find it a good option.

>fair enough, but these are 'fun' tools and not really relevant
I politely disagree with your opinion, the evidence is there so each one can judge.

>I've actually tried this. Utterly lacking
ok. Freecad is still under heavy development right now but what it can do already is pretty impressive.

>What is completely unaddressed by your pasta
I didn't wrote it but if i find alternatives to those i would like to update the pasta at some point.

>There is nothing on linux that is remotely comparable to these that I know of.
Yeah, there's some areas where linux is not a viable option. Not being viable for certain kind of works is not the same as being bad. There's more people than you, someone may find it useful and who knows, maybe it can give them the replacement they was looking for if they like linux more.

>If you know anything - definitely update the list.
Yeah.

Here's three reasons right here

Loonix cucks comprehensively BLOWN THE FUCK OUT

How is a good thing that those programs are not available on linux? wouldn't be a good thing to have an extra option? competition is good for users anyway.

>Ok, in the pasta there's a comparison of features, depending on the use case someone may find it a good option.
The Feature comparison has a red cross next to AEC. So maybe for others, not for me.

>I politely disagree with your opinion, the evidence is there so each one can judge.
As in, if 80% of the software you use isn't viable on loonix, then krita and blender aren't going to sway this.

>The Feature comparison has a red cross next to AEC. So maybe for others, not for me.
yes.

>As in, if 80% of the software you use isn't viable on loonix, then krita and blender aren't going to sway this.
I know, i never negated this. If linux is not viable for someone then there's not a lot it can be done. I consider it can be viable for a lot of other people tho. However that's not what you said, you clearly stated that "As in, if 80% of the software you use isn't viable on loonix, then krita and blender aren't going to sway this.", it's necessary to make clear that it may be the case for you but as it was shown it's not necessarily the case for other people.

Damn i screwed the post, wait a moment, what i wanted to quote is:
> these are 'fun' tools and not really relevant
instead of
>As in, if 80% of the software you use isn't viable on loonix, then krita and blender aren't going to sway this.

see:status:
told [x]
not told [ ]

Reasons (and by the way I hate the fact. I really would want to switch to a distro):

1. The best distro I found was openSUSE and there's one flaw: It does take a while longer to boot than other distros. That's because of wicked, but it seems the alternative is "worse".

2. AMD drivers. No way for me to get better performance that doesn't involve getting different hardware and I'm not spending more money. It's a great shame.

3. Yeah ok, lack of games maybe. At some point I feel like playing something that doesn't run too well over WINE and it is an actual chore to make the PS3 gamepad work well on linux (yeah it is, there's a lot of shit like unity games that don't really like it). Emulation wise it could be better too.

4. Lack of graphic design tools. I can live without photoshop. I can't live without Illustrator. No current alternative, not even Affinity Design (which isn't available on linux) can compare in my opinion. I also tried running the adobe suite CS6 on linux and sure, had Photoshop working alright, but I couldn't open Illustrator more than once.

5. I tried the GPU passthrough thing at it was a really painful process. I don't even think it's a good idea because the HD 4600 is just not good enough for my daily tasks, and I have noticed a few issues with desktop performance on that as well.

6. I/O schedulers and these optimized kernels and all that crap. I know I don't need them but they distracted me a lot giving me the illusion that I would get better performance, but really it seems more like I would need different hardware to notice the difference between them.

7. I see myself still using not so open source software anyways. Like Chromium. Firefox be slow, and I don't mean opening pages, I mean that scrolling is jerkier even after checking flags and such.

But hey, I -do- like the advances and I keep wanting to get into it. But it also pushes me away with all of these things and that there are things I cannot find a fix for after weeks.

Blame Adobe.

its not cute enough uwu

I'm not a big fan of tinkering with an OS on my Desktop. I've tried Linux in the past and since Android was based on it I hoped it would have the same level of efficient. However it was a bit underwhelming to say the least, as I ran into issues with Audio, Wifi-Connectivity on certain networks, etc. I was sort of surprised actually since Android seems to do it so well. Maybe I need to run Android on my Desktop??

>Comprehensive simple tasks like installing running and updating apps, tweaking configurations shouldn't be a hassle
>autodesk and adobe support
>drivers
Everything else is fiddling with the system wich would just be done for who want to do those things.

>just a wallpaper and another wallpaper
>this is what customization is to mac users

u dont need to waste time customizing when ur already using the most advanced cute OS in the world

>world's most advanced OS

>>Comprehensive simple tasks like installing running and updating apps, tweaking configurations shouldn't be a hassle
That's actually the reason to use linux.
Windows always was a hassle with everything thinking it should update when *it* wants to. And block resources and itself

>world's oldest picture that people are still posting even though it isn't relevant anymore

>world's oldest picture
>2014
good strawman

embarassing

I already switched to Linux as my main desktop OS over two years ago, after having it on my laptop for a few years.

I originally set up a Windows 7 partition and a Linux partition, but I've almost never booted into the Windows partition (only for one or two games; most of my gaming is done in Linux now), and only occasionally use a Windows virtual machine. When GPU passthrough becomes more well-supported, I'll have no reason to even keep a separate partition.

use virtualbox with windows and pass it through when you need the software

fuck these idiots.

YOU DON'T HAVE A MAC ONLY BECAUSE YOU'RE POOR.

ok

I could do without ableton but the lack of supported audio interfaces is pretty annoying, the documentation isn't really up to date too since it's too niche to be taken care of

please go back pablo, I bet you stole that mac from some tourist

That's portuguese.

H-games.
None of them work decent on Linux.
Hell, they can barely work on Windows sometimes due to japanese encoding fuckery.

photoshop works ok in wine, last time I had it installed there was an annoying mousebug though

I don't know about autocad tbqh

same thing

>not using classic shell

for what purpose?

Functionality.

I have a really nice router but its broadcom and wont work on kinux without a weekend of qll day hassle so i just have linux on my thinjpad that hardly gets used

Oh gee thanks, I'll get right on that.

retard.

>'fun' tools
Opinion discarded.

>he still uses desktops

because I am brainlet.

I moved to linux (xubuntu) 4 years ago. Comfy and don't give a shit about whatever (((reasons))) you have to shill that garbage 10.

No need to get triggered like if had I called your mom names.

truly ebin

I see shit like this and i ask myself what the fuck is this autist doing?

You're doing some incredibly shitty hobby drawing (akin to girls "getting into photography" in their teens) and then there's this nerd shit something about steal beems or something jesus christ you're not as smart as you think

Enjoy sitting with your gay lanovo on your lap and touchback you gay numale

>I don't give a shit about your reasons, which is why I came into this thread to respond to your thread
>see how little I care?

Some people have careers and hobbies friendo.

sorry about your life.

>i didn't have seen this thread 100 times already
>surprised some don't give a shit about microshills

>>i didn't have seen this thread 100 times already

>i didn't have seen this thread 100 times already
?

Literally the only reason is gaming

Inb4 but muh wine

Is English your third language?

OP is using windows my dude.

Also, freetards should probably take a look at what Microsoft is doing with Windows10 instead of always shitting on it without even knowing what it has become

THANK YOU!

> adobe products in general
> Maya
> games
also i don't want to fuck around half an hour in terminal just to get fucking printer working

Some guy managed to solve that issue:
sites.google.com/site/wwwlinuxiumcomau/

OP

I need you to stop wasting your life in EVE online, way too many 40 year old men already have

I play once a month.

for an hour

don't worry about it.

But muh million dollar space ship fights

How about you open up AutoCad. Or PS.

I'll wait.

what about drowning practice OP, ha?

haha nice

get the laptop off your lap it fries your balls and causes problems

sexy af

>virtual machines
>wine
there is no excuse not to switch

>what are virtual machines

Shit.

Games, drivers.

Apart from the fact that the analysis software in the OP doesn't work in WINE, and virtual machines don't handle heavy graphics well.

Idiot.

>switching to an os that i don't want to use, then running the os i want to use in a VM
>there is no reason not to switch

nice one my dude

you americans are retarded

-love from sweeden

I haven't moved to linux because I use both. Os's are not a pissing match superiority contest for me. I use what works best for me.

Hold my beer while I try to play a fucking video game on a virtual machine. Lmfao please don't tell me you thought that was a better choice than wine