Professional Hardware

I'm about to start a full-stack engineering role at a Series-A bay area startup. My company just sent me an email asking:

> I wanted to reach out and ask what you'd prefer for your machine and any peripherals.

> We've started using the touchbar macbook pros, and feel free to choose a monitor and any additional periphs you might need.

What would you request when given carte blanche?

a different laptop.

Tell them to install gentoo.

Acer Predator 21X

a windows machine

Full-stack here

I do all my work on a Raspberry Pi

>apple niggers have to put their homosexual notebooks onto a stand, so they can pretend that they have a desktop PC.

Three 4k monitors and a Topre keyboard

>get x220 laptop
>spend the rest of the budget on nendos

I want to fit in man.

I use Mint on my current machine, but I'm okay with using a Mac at work.

lel

I should have said "pic vaguely related"

MACTODDLERS BTFO

dual monitors, laptop dock, different laptop, a quiet mechanical keyboard

>What would you request when given carte blanche?
Symbolics Lisp machine, space cadet keyboard, and a Cray XMP as a seat

Don't forgot the mouse!

Or alternative get a ibm model m13.

>a quiet mechanical keyboard
>quiet
nu-male confirmed

It's called having respect for your colleagues, user. I know your mom doesn't mind the clicky sounds coming from the basement.

kode-with-klossy-tier workstation

Colleagues shouldn't respect you, they should fear you

Call them niggers and demand a ThinkPad.

full-stack-overflow driven engineer

Best comment. Gonna remember this

A nice keyboard and mouse, don't be an asshole, get something quiet.
>touchbar MacBook pros
A bunch of fucking dongles

I understand hating Apple's price-point, fanboys, limitations in the environment, etc.

But assuming you have another personal laptop, what would bother you about going to work and sitting in sublime on a mac you didn't pay for?

Just ask for whatever the standard set up is. Don't be retarded and demand too much or too little, you'll look pathetic

I used to have a job advising people like you on this exact question, and I still actually do - to a lesser extent.

Laptops are shit. Macbook Pros are arguably the best of the bad, but you are still giving up a lot for mobility.

Depends on your working style, but personally I'd ask for a workstation (pic related I just configured for you). Working mobile sucks, and personally I'm never near as effective mobile.

Peripherals are just as (even more) important. The 38 widescreen I selected on there is a good option. Make sure you get an Ergotron Workfit arm that lets you move easily from a sitting to a standing position. Get your keyboard and mouse of choice. Personally I'd go with something with MX blue switches and a Logitech G-series mouse - their highest end one (G90 proteus or something) is hard to beat. Get a nice chair and a floor mat for standing on too. Also a battery backup unit - get a high quality one and make sure you turn off the goddamned buzzer (connect it via USB and use the software to turn off the buzzer).

A Razer blade pro. If they won't spring for that ask for topare

If you're fine with MacBook hardware and don't see yourself doing any heavy load work on that machine then just go with that and dual boot Windows and a Linux distribution of your choice. Boot OSX as well if you need that for development or whatever. Otherwise spec out a workstation if you don't see yourself taking the laptop anywhere, or a similarly specced laptop if you do, but don't like MacBooks.

Get some sort of docking station for the MacBook and at least 2 monitors. Get a decent mech keyboard with brown or red switches so you aren't obnoxious. Comfortable non gaming mouse and perhaps a padded wrist rest.

Check out your coworkers stations to get an idea of what is somewhat normal to ask for.

The general faggotry of that life would bother me

MY MO... I MEAN, COLLEAGUES SHOULD FEAR THE FULL BARRAGE OF MACHINE GUN FIRE NOISE AS I FURIOUSLY TYPE ON MY MX BLUES.

i dont think a thinkpad could handle the weight of running several browser windows along with your shitty IDE

This, praise chinese overlords

just ask for 2 monitors and if you can bring your usb nerf missile launcher

Grab an imac with two monitors instead.

Oh my God, that huge ass in those short shorts. Fucking shit, you should warn me, man

even my x200 can handle that workload

2 monitors, mouse, keyboard and a USB dock for attaching everything at once

uh huh i meant without having to wait 10 seconds to switch between widows

Ask yourself these questions:
>is any of the software I will need on OSX?
>are there any linux alternatives? does it suck or no?

Why does Sara Conley, the largest of the female tech executives, not simply eat the other five?