Why are thinkpads so praised on Sup Forums ?

Why are thinkpads so praised on Sup Forums ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i9BNJrd70Wg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Keyboard,durability and performance.
> real reason Sup Forums buy cheap thinkpad from eBay

cuz they have amd cpu's

They're the BMWs of notebooks.

Because it has word "think" and brainlets thinks, that this word makes them smarter.

Poorfags need to compute, too

BMW is a shit car though.. parts are expesive and it has high gas consumption

>Why are thinkpads so praised on Sup Forums ?
Long time ago, they were good. Now that everyone's ditching them, those old models are being sold for cheap on various sites. If you need a cheap shitposting machine with an antiquated CPU and a shitty low-rez display. Thinkpad's for you.

Price/Performance and Reapair/Tweakability

I have a Mac Air with Devuan but have a thinkpad and some hdds in a safe in event of emp / nuclear war

Sup Forums is made up of underage poorfags and third worlders that can't afford a pot to piss in. Thinkpads are cheap and durable, so Sup Forums loves them.

there are old models (upwards 5 years) that still rund perfectly fine for shitposting and the parts to fix one are easy to come by. Also battery life is pretty good, great linux support (most distros you install them and everything just works) and they are built like fucking tanks.

the Honda Civics of laptops.
Cheap, Customizable, and it will get the job done.

>I have a Mac Air
give it back Deuvan Jackson!

>and it will get the job done.
if your job involves making presentation, writing word docs and shitposting on image boards.

>if your job involves making presentation, writing word docs and shitposting on image boards.

yep don't expect to be rendering 4k videos
or playing vidya without an eGpu

they send a certain message without saying a word, like macbooks whose polished look reminds people that this individual is either a huge scumback or in the sales/law/business team where the thinkpad sends a clear message that there will be a chit-chat about distros

Same reason Autism and Linux are both praised on here.

>presentation, writing word docs and shitposting
this is what 99% pc users do for living

.. or compiling large code bases. Or running Slack inside of a browser. Kek.

OP asked about Sup Forums... Sup Forums posters aren't normies. No one here does that shit for a living.

literal shills

>No one here does that shit for a living
>I do
Sup Forums != coders

say what ?

cycling with a thinkpad on your back is pain

cycling with a Mac Air is effortless

totally worth computing like a homosexual to avoid back pain

poorfags getting them cheap/stealing from work and collective groupthink of Sup Forums for 10 years and now the truth is chinkpads are god's gift to humanity. impervious to damage, simplest maintenance imaginable, and uses only the highest end components.

Just give it back Manjaro Brown!

Last time I checked, being called autistic wasn't a compliment. Maybe you just have it.

they r gud

id say they are the Civics or Accords of notebooks.

It's really just the cost. If Macbooks lost their resale value as dramatically, Sup Forums would shill them instead. Particularly apt analogy since new Thinkpads have always cost as much as new Macbooks (but don't tell Sup Forums this).

t. owner of T42, X220, W520

because we're elitist but poor.

so we buy stuff that is dirt cheap because nobody wants it and declare it's golden in order to hide our inferiority complex thru it's purchase.

at the same time we mock faple users that in reality do exactly the same with the difference that they actually spend a lot of money.

it's really pathetic.

-posted from my x120e

Wrong

Its the ford transit of laptops

>durable
>good linux compatibility because a lot of developers and FOSS nerds use it, so they write drivers for what they're using quickly
>unique, good looking design: not an aluminum macbook rip off, or worse, plastic painted to look like a macbook
>trackpoint, the best mobile input device full stop
>spill resistance
>can take falls much better than most laptops can
>god tier keyboard, chiclet keyboard sucks when compared to the pre-chiclet ones, but still the best on a laptop (no your gayming laptop with cherry switches that is practically as portable as your average desktop is shit)
>excellent port availability
>good warranty support (used to be excellent, but it looks like lenovo has taken over all thinkpad support, like a year or two ago IBM was still doing it, so they could be shit now)
>parts are readily available
>strong aftermarket parts market
>cheap on ebay, although Sup Forums has raised the price on them for shilling them
>good ventilation (besides i7 X220, pls delid dis)
>hipster cred
>the best hinges on a laptop, period
Lenovo has largely neutered the Thinkpad line, but some models are still good, like the P series line. Sandy bridge, and ivy bridge thinkpads still just werk too. I literally wish that my T520 and/or X220 would die so that I could finally justify upgrading.

Keyboard is good, durable as shit, good specs, trackpoint is god-tier. Thinkpads are also good freedumb machines.

when u say 'we' who are you speaking for? are you speaking for the masses not on Sup Forums?

The Thinkpad is like buying heritage.

>Lenovo has largely neutered the Thinkpad line
I hope their Thinkpad Retro line actually isn't dog shit and is actually good and businesses lap it up like crazy so 5 years from now I can buy one off ebay for $100 like I did with my x220.

>trackpoint, the best mobile input device full stop
t. someone who has only ever used trackpads on Windows machines

This highlights the most obvious problem with the Thinkpad Retro, and the reason it will be a massive failure: the people petitioning Lenovo to bring back "classic" features WILL NOT BUY ONE NEW.

>the people petitioning Lenovo to bring back "classic" features WILL NOT BUY ONE NEW
Not necessarily. Lenovo used to have the niche market of those who fucking hate modern laptops on lockdown with the classic IBM design Thinkpads that were designed with usability and functionality first and looks and thickness second until Lenovo started shitting on IBM's design with their retarded design decisions. If the Thinkpad Retro is what everyone of those people in that niche market want I wouldn't doubt many of them will buy them new just so they can have the feel of their classic Thinkpad machines paired with modern cutting edge hardware.

>with an antiquated CPU
T420 with a quad core rivals ULV processors today
They're not that antiquated unless you go older than T410

If it has everything I want I probably will buy one new.
I'm not buying their other current laptops new because they don't have what I want.

They know it's going to be a niche product so they're not going to manufacture them at the same volume as their T/X/P series. If the market is full of people willing to put down thousands of dollars on a piece of shit that is the macbook, because of it's status as a fashion accessory, then it's bound to have people that are willing to put down thousands of dollars on a much better product that is also in many ways a fashion statement, or a sign of protest against the current trend of macbooks and their imitators.

>just so they can have the feel of their classic Thinkpad machines paired with modern cutting edge hardware.
If they want that they can just buy X62 or T70 for likely much cheaper than the TP Retro will be

>no dock or express support
Begone chink

>putting windows 10 on a freedom machine
fuck you

user, Thinkpad's "niche market" was banks and insurance companies and other corporate buyers in the 90s and early 00s.

The Venn Diagram of "Thinkpad enthusiasts" and "people who refuse to spend $400 on a laptop" is a perfect circle.

What's the thinnest used laptop I can get that like under 200 bucks?

Thinkpads are not cheap.

The clit mouse is the only reason. Its so you dont have to move your hands from the keyboard

Thinkpads are sleek but not anorexic, stylish but not pretentious, and function but not clunky.

>X62
Made my day.

>I hope their Thinkpad Retro line actually isn't dog shit
I just want them to put a halfway decent GPU in the thing. The gap between the CPU and GPU performance is wide as fuck. At least put an option for a 1050.

It has excellent hardware support on linux and coreboot/libreboot

Are you that guy who made a thread about what is the best homosexual laptop?

>x220
>8GB ram
>i5 2520m
>9cell battery, lasting for 7 hours of light use
>$150
>it's faster than any new laptop abundance of parts available for it but it's durable as fuck
>super easy to service
>express slot, card reader, 3 USB ports, msata slot, sata slot
>I have a 256GB SSD + 128GB msata SSD
>cool design

only issue with thinkpads is the god awful TN panels and the trackpad. the buttons are fine but IBM and Lenovo both make absolutely terrible trackpads.

It's more subtle than holding a flag saying "I have autism"

It wasn't always like that. My T43's trackpad is comfy AS FUCK. But my X220's trackpad should have been aborted during month 8.5.

Cheap used, well built, easily repaired and incredibly durable. Not perfect for everybody but they tick a lot of boxes.

>the market is full of people willing to put down thousands of dollars on a piece of shit that is the macbook, because of it's status as a fashion accessory

Do you live in Sup Forums memes from 2007 or have you just never used macOS before?

And soon to be supported by libreboot this December!

>But my X220's trackpad should have been aborted during month 8.5.
topkek, this is why I like my X200, non of that nasty trackpad shit.

>Americans thinking their cars are relevant

> cheap and durable

Annnnd, how is that a bad thing? Do you support planned obsolence?

Cheap while being good enough for anime, and shitposting.

E46 here. You are wrong.

post cheap thinkpads with intel cpus and good driver support for linux/bsd

Because they used to be good

Too bad they havent made a decent laptop in 6 years

>literal shills
>most people recommend older pre-2013 models
Whatever you say buddy.

Because we have no money to buy macs

T420 with a dual core rivaled ulvs up to broadwell
T430 with a dual core beat fucking skylake
if you can get some meme magic mixing aka quad core, upgraded heatsink and over clock, you beat current gen mobile xeons

Correction: New Thinkpads are not cheap.

What models? I'm looking for a laptop to take with me when I leave home for a year that'll handle videos and old games, like Neverwinter Nights and shite. I'll probably dick around with Linux and try to learn programming too. Just to kill boredom really.

I have a w500 It can handle hd videos @ 60fps without a problem off the dedicated gpu.
As for games I only have point and clicks installed. No neverwinter Nights, but I can try some other similar titles in wine. Will report back later.

memes

>old games, like Neverwinter Nights and shite.

integrated gpu is fine on my t430 for stuff like that. You could always get one with a nvidia whip if you are really worried

T430 master race.
>based ivybridge
>fantastic keyboard still with dedicated volume buttons
>never had problems with linux
It just needs a FHD IPS screen

Best and the brightest engineers.
Reliable and robust machines to tackle any kind of problem.

Installed DeusEx in wine, and it was perfect until I upped the resotution to maximun. Froze, reset, and the laptop is way too hot. So maybe a newer one with a sandy/ivy bridge (t420/t430) is the one for you.

>not having IBM thinkpad as well as IBM server to take the number crunching tasks
Lulz

cause most people on Sup Forums are poor as fuck and can only afford used T420s
Then they need to compensate for having such shitty laptops and praise them for their "build quality"

>Particularly apt analogy since new Thinkpads have always cost as much as new Macbooks (but don't tell Sup Forums this).
At least Thinkpads are worth spending some money.

>new Thinkpads have always cost as much as new Macbooks
i almost bought a T470p with an i7 7820hq and WQHD screen for under 1450 USD. If it would have come with even a gtx 1050 or something I would have pulled the trigger, but it was limited to a 940mx

>cause most people on Sup Forums are poor as fuck and can only afford used T420s
True. Am poorfag, so I like to save where I can. I can't afford to buy the newest greatest hardware, so I make do with multiple thinkpads to mess around with.

>If it would have come with even a gtx 1050 or something I would have pulled the trigger

Why?

Its performance is already limited by thermal throttling.

I like to play some games.
Plus photo editing, but idk how gpu intensive that is.

Point is: just because something has more powerful chips doesn't make it faster:
youtube.com/watch?v=i9BNJrd70Wg

T470p just doesn't have the cooling capacity.
I have a T460p and it throttles just using the CPU alone.
Tiny body = poor cooling.

For games and photo editing I would seriously consider a P50 or P51.

>For games and photo editing I would seriously consider a P50 or P51.
The dimensions of my T430 is the max that will fit in my briefcase. Can't have anything larger.

The size of my backpack was also the reason I went for 14".

It does mean you (and I) can just forget about getting high performance.
Unless someone makes a super Thicc 14" laptop, which nobody will, or some kind of magical cooling solution there is simply no way to get more than mediocre performance.

Thanks I'll look into those.

>It does mean you (and I) can just forget about getting high performance.
an XPS 15 would just fit, and I considered buying one but I'm on the fence about the quality control and not a huge fan of the carbon fiber palmrests. I found one with the 4k screen and 512gb ssd at a microcenter for 1600 USD, which would cost ~2100 configured through dell, but I'm not 100% sold. It has good specs, and has a 1050, great screen, etc. but something is holding me back from buying.

Because I abuse mine constantly and it has never stopped performing well. Plus it has great Linux compatibility making it werk with no additional cost for the OS. Can't beat 150$ for the same performance and usefulness as a mac mini would be for me. Actually it works better since my x220 also has an Ethernet port.

>Unless someone makes a super Thicc 14" laptop
>what are rugged laptops

>some kind of magical cooling solution there is simply no way to get more than mediocre performance.
>how do they make rugged laptops able to withstand IP67

Just go somewhere else fag.

You're doing it wrong scholomo

t. Pic related

because you can install libreboot and free yourself from the botnet

Is it better to just get a W530 and skip the process of upgrading a T430's CPU and whatnot?

Yes, the T430 is a bit of a house fire by itself, upgrading the CPU will just make it worse

they're inexpensive, high quality make, and are aesthetic. i want to buy another t430 just because i like how they look so much

I would like to do the same. How?

>incredibly durable

Except for the fan grills and the track pad.