/pcbg/ PC Building General

Old thread is autosaging so here we are.

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/3X8GTH
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZVBjVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/VHLXr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/Wy4cnn
pcpartpicker.com/list/YbWqzM
youtube.com/watch?v=IoR0RDETGZI
pcpartpicker.com/list/Cvz4f8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

pcpartpicker.com/list/3X8GTH

Using the Sugo SG13 case (going for something small)

The motherboard is the ITX version but its not listed on pcpartpicker

Is it worth going to a 1070?

>autosaging
it's called BUMP LIMIT.

For just 1920x1080 gaming probably not unless you can get a deal on one. Or you know you want to play some game that needs a 1070 to play on maximum quality. All the prices are still a bit fucked up due to crypto mining.

Kek
Llurk moar OP, you faggot

Questionable choice in RAM.

Thanks

What would you recommend?

Is using old server crap a good idea?

>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
You guys didn't even try did you?

No time to be accurate when you're racing to create the new thread to get your shilling in the OP.

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZVBjVY
Thoughts?

>mobo has dual channel support

Is it still worth the extra $30 or so to get 4x8gb of ram rather than 2x16?

Almost everything about this is stupid

What specifically is wrong with it?

No

2x16 wiil provide plenty enough bandwidth, better to max out slots and not have to rebuy ram if you decide to max out your system

Is this the "I have more money than knowledge about PC building" build?

Is this a joke?

Great meme I love memes. :)

Overpriced motherboard with a monoblock while there is already a cooler. Using stupidly tall RAM with a NH-D15. 2x8GB ram and not 2x16gb

Why would i need more than 16gb ram if its just for gaming?

Post your e-mail and pick which ones would you like to get.

So i can get a bunch of spam?

[email protected]

i7 7700k

because why the hell not? someone who is spending 4k+ on a system better have more than 16gb

But what would I use the extra 16gb for? Ive never heard of any game that uses more than that

I want the i7 7700k
[email protected]

Help
I have 2×4Gb 3000mhz lpx vengeance ram dual channel and i want to upgrade. If i add 2×8Gb 3000mhz lpx vengeance ram dual channel?
Looking at the mobo (pic related) the 4 ram slots are in 2 colors which means i can only run dual channel can these two dual channels have different kits?

You can run different sized kits in separate channels. I run a kingston 2x8 and a corsair 2x2 and dual channel still works

Are both at same speed?

Just bought a 7700k for 200 bucks through my work discount.

What LGA 1151 motherboard should I look at?

Hit me up with that i7 7700k please.
Email is in name field.

>Kingston - HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset

Which one should I get? Seems like they have pretty similar specs. Basically, which is best value? (and has the least chance of being DOA?)

yeah the kingston is at 1333mhz, the corsairs can run at 1600mhz with an XMP profile but there not stable so both kits are at 1333mhz.

need a budget ryzen mobo I am curently looking at Asus Prime B350M-A

>ASUS
they have shit customer service
>Gigabyte
shit if you dislike offset overclocking
>MSI
I have no idea, no personal experiences
>Biostar, asrock
Heard stories, not good ones

>they fell for it

it's the same thing

i've got a viii maximus. what i like about it

>lots of configuration between sound/CPU/RAM/GPU/etc. entirely too much for a noob like me
>reflash without a CPU
>no GPU sag
>built for a powerhouse of a computer. easy overclock for RAM and CPU. easy to configure fans, etc.

If you're in to the LED craze, the Maximus boards also have Aura which can control the LEDs right off of the board, just another plus.

>7700k
>$200

pcpartpicker.com/list/VHLXr7

does anyone else build put together parts lists for fun? just to think of what could be built?

i built my current PC with the best parts available (at the time) and now I'd like to build something with a theme of sorts

The real themeing coming from decorating your PC.

Eh, I only caught a few.
No, seriously. I've been waiting for months for this shit, and see what I got? A fucking card error and most of us are having the same issue. Hope Jewtel will fix this asap or else I'm going to burn their headquarters down with all of my rage.

i'm not the artsy type. if anything i'd put together some parts that had similar colors

Ok why dont you actually tell me how to improve it instead of
>le memes xdddd

wtf what website is that?

Just send them some i9s :^)

It's oblivously a joke build, nobody is going to waste their time with it.

Well what is a better headset for around $100?

>Tfw my purchase went through no issues first time

Intel retail edge, for employees of electronic stores. I work at Bestbuy and that's part of it but there's other stores that are eligible for it.

And yes working for Bestbuy sucks major cock.

Was Max autistic?

Given their history of forcing consumers to buy worse performing but more expensive chips, anti-competition behaviour/practices, and known bribery. How the fuck can anyone support Intel?

1. you're using a bunch of parts that aren't completely justified in their cost.

2. that motherboard is too big. ATX at most

3. change the M.2 to a 500gb. 1tb is actually unnecessary because the SSD is best for running boot and programs. Media should run off of an HDD

4. you only need a 750w power supply

5. Intel chips don't benefit from stupid high end RAM like the

pcpartpicker.com/list/Wy4cnn

I changed the motherboard, the RAM, the PSU, and the SSD and you save a lot of cash.

Also /pcbg/ doesn't take too well to flashy builds with LEDs and RGB whatever. So keep that in mind.

Anything that doesn't have these meme words:
>gaming
>7.1
>Beats
>Bose

Its not a joke, i just thought that build was the best performance I could get in terms of gaming. Why dont you actually tell me what i need for the best performance

Probably, he wouldn't say shit, and would get upset at little things.

ok ya. nice delio sonny enjoy that new cpoo

what you need for best gaming performance is

1. a 7700k
2. a 1080ti (in SLI if possible)
3. a 1440p 144hz or 1080p 240hz monitor
4. a laser mouse with comfortable ergonomics
5. a razer orbweaver

okay that last one is arguable but the rest are pretty set in stone

It just werks.

>240hz
ok thats getting a bit ridiculous now

What would be the ideal amount of RAM for a media server? I've heard that FreeNAS/zfs would require at least a gig per TB. I plan for now having at least 32TB. But, I also see Synology prebuilts using 8GB with max caps of 150TB. Does it just depend on the software I use? Again it'd just be a box streaming shit via ethernet to a Kodi box.

nigga why would I spend 3 grand on all that shit
that's overkill.

hey it works for those CS:GO guys

only because of their monopoly. Intel doesn't innovate and has no intention of ever properly competing. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

nigga that dude said he wanted the best in gaming performance

read the replies blackskin

You don't need shitload of RAM just to stream

That's the best performing equipment *for gaming* on the market
If you want the best bang for the buck on gaming:

>AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU'
>AM4 platform B350 motherboard with good VRMs
>AMD RX 580 *note this is only recommended if at MSRP. Fucking miners have ruined the current market*
>1080p 120 hz monitor
>Logitech G403
>Corsair K68

Can you guys talk me out of this ? I already ordered a 144hz monitor and would feel its wasted if I dont get a 7700k. I only game anyway
pcpartpicker.com/list/YbWqzM

WHY THE FUCK DOESNT RYZEN 3 HAVE A GPU?
twll me, is it actually good? better than i3, pentium etc?

what games? Ryzen can meet 144 Hz on a number of games.

Im pretty sure that ill need 1tb of storage for games, but thanks for the advice. So if I get faster ram above ddr4 3000 it wont make a difference with an i7 7700k?

more like CS:FAGOS

>WHY THE FUCK DOESNT RYZEN 3 HAVE A GPU?
Because that's the territory of the upcoming Zen-based Raven Ridge APUs.
>tell me, is it actually good? better than i3, pentium etc?
stock, it puts up a good fight. But unlike the i3 and Pentium competition, the R3 can be overclocked. And when overclocked, performance is closer to an i5 than an i3.

>playing video game
>decide I want an upgrade in preformance
>upgrade video card
>cpu is now bottlenecking

I still have ddr3 ram so I'm kinda fucked for upgrading. I can afford a cpu+mobo but getting new ram pushes me over budget. Not to mention my gpu upgrade did squat so it was essentially money wasted. It helped with older games but turns out my main game is mostly cpu intensive. Glad I refunded that order though

>So if I get faster ram above ddr4 3000 it wont make a difference with an i7 7700k?
correct. It makes a HUGE difference on AMD Ryzen CPUs, but not on Intel CPUs. Different architectures

>bought mobo and cpu that can't overclock
>bought 3.5gb 970 card
>bought 1080 60Hz monitor
heh... I, uh... well...

sell your old GPU and put the money towards new DDR4 ram.

i dont get it though, i need cpu power, not gpu which means if i wanted ryzen id need another investment (so the price ends up being more). and raven ridge is looking to be shit tier hyper budget stuff.

Raven Ridge hasn't released yet user. They haven't even announced a release date.
Just grab a GTX 1030 or an RX 550 2GB on the cheap them.

Is there really a market for a radeon hd7870? Where am I supposed to sell it even, ebay?

Well DOOM and Prey,probably other new releases too

sell it on Craigslist or ebay. There's always a market for used parts. current ebay prices show it goes for $50 to $100, depending on which one, so you should be able to get new DDR4 ram for that price.

A Ryzen 5 1600 can peg the 200 FPS limiter in Doom. I'll assume similar for Prey. They'revery well optimized titles

is ryzen 3 worth it in Australia? the 1200 is $150 aud

No. 1600 or get the pentium. The ones in the caught in the middle is pretty shit.

Only if you OC

Here. From Australia. This should answer it for you.
youtube.com/watch?v=IoR0RDETGZI

I've got an old Radeon X800 GTO. Think this'll do for 2017 gaming?

no.

I live in a rural area so craiglist is out of the question, I guess I might try ebay. My original plan was to use my old parts to build my gf a computer so I can get her into gaming, but I'd rather have a good rig for myself.

I guess my next question if anyone cares, is there a worthwhile budget upgrade from an overclocked i5 3570k? Or should I just shell out the ~$300+ for a decent cpu/mobo combo. I don't care about anything above 1080p and 60fps currently, so I don't think I need top of the line products

If I crossfired it with a Radeon HD 5770, could it do some damage?

Alright thanks user, I actually already have a 1700x build ready. I just can't decide.

no

pcpartpicker.com/list/Cvz4f8
This is my first time building pc, i don't have any experience so I'm keeping the parts cheap
Any suggestions will be helpful

Bad power supply.
Don't need to buy windows. Pirate it, faggot. The chinese do.

1) You don't need that Hyper 212. Stock cooler runs fine
2) 8GB RAM is enough

I am going to pirate it, i just put it there to complete the build

A few questions.
1: Do you plan to upgrade later on?
2: If so, does upgrading while keeping the same motherboard and memory matter to you?
3: What games do you plan to play?
4: Do you want the best bang for the buck, or the cheapest usable for gaming?