Wasn't this suppose to take over the world and usher the golden age of Linux dominance on the desktop? What happened?

Wasn't this suppose to take over the world and usher the golden age of Linux dominance on the desktop? What happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4QokOwvPxrE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because it's annoying and showed how much the screen teared.

systemd

>useless botnet instead of properly functioning and useful botnet

Install a real distribution for freedom or just stick to MS/Applel if you need proprietary software.

Ubuntu wins in nothing.

The golden age of Linux came. It's still happening. The whole desktop thing was something people were saying because they were the most common personal computing device people had a couple decades ago. Now, the most common personal computing devices people have are phones and tablets.

Despite how neckbeards imagined it, Android caused the golden age of Linux. The irony of a corporate-backed, walled garden edition of Linux creating the golden age of Linux is pretty amusing.

which is better, cubething or jiggleframes?
the grate debate

They weren't great with implementing an interface and left it to stagnate. The interface is very important. Now instead of removing Ubuntu/GNOME Software Center and replacing with Synaptic, they'll keep it and the Amazon shit for use with GNOME. It's as if they want an operating system intentionally to remain shit. GNOME is shit. There is no other option to macOS and Ubuntu. Windows is shit. I stay with Ubuntu in the hopes of 18.04 improving at a faster rate than has been previously experienced.

just waiting for Valve to come up with a replacement for direct x, or pay of nvidia and amd to get some decent fucking drivers to circumvent the issue. Linux wont get big until you can game on it. It's the only thing it's still missing.

>Android
It's not good.

I have a sandy bridge laptop which can play dolphin-emu at full speed thanks to linux drivers.
The amd drivers are good enough for me to play dota2, the min fps is higher but the max fps is slightly lower.

the real problem doesn't lie in the linux drivers anymore, it lies in the dogshit opengl drivers for intel and amd on windows.
Game developers don't want to make their games in opengl if it only gets good performance on nvidia on windows. Blizzard updated starcraft brood war to use opengl, for mac and windows, but had to make a dx9 version to get the game working on the broken as fuck intel windows drivers. Meanwhile the game worked in wine on the same hardware.

anyways, valve was pretty involved with the creation of vulkan.

i tought it was real until i saw the naruto shit on it

Screw desktops, Linux dominates mobile.

>gaymez
You're on the wrong board.

Omg, when are you gonna realize that Linux cant win because there is no professional specialized software for desktop/laptop use. There is nothing, no games, no content creation software, no specific science software. And YES im talking about proprietary software BUILD to function BEST at a specific thing. Desktop environments are irrelevant. Reverse that NEED for server/network utilities and Linux is the best.

>Omg
Stopped reading right there.
Fuck off and kill yourself.

>Linux dominates mobile.
Android developer cannot even interact with Linux subsystem. You can't even do basic Linux programming on Android. Google took all the benefits of Linux and got its users nothing in return for it.
They're working on a new OS now and will replace Linux and no one will even notice. Since nothing depends on Linux and 99% of users don't even know about Linux kernel.

Literally the only reason why Linux has taken over the world is because Windows is almost irrevocably entrenched in OEM sold computers and normies can't install a freaking ad blocker, let alone install an OS that didn't come with their computer.

Lol boy, i may kms but seems like you have more problems that i do.

>replacement for direct x
What is Vulkan.

>cubething
kek'd fucking hard. I remember that shit. it was the most ridiculous and retarded thing ever. having all your windows in a spinning cube... TOP KEK!

It is gnu/Linux.
No matter how beautiful or good.
All of the software and OS is written under the gnu license and thus are written by unpaid, unmotivated and mostly very negatively autistic community.
It's a device that can't betray it's roots, bend backwards, for the majority for these particular reason in principle.
Linux has a core use, just like bsd or Windows.
And it just doesn't speak to all these people who are living in a majorly proprietary society and economy.

Canonical tried and still tries to commercialize it in hopes that their distro gets interest among the common folk without realizing that windows with a Linux core is still Linux.
I am repeating myself but I need to stress this out again and again:
It is not Windows, neither does it have the backing of Windows.
This is not bad, but you mistake a knife for a hammer

user-kun try this desktop please.

youtube.com/watch?v=4QokOwvPxrE

>I am repeating myself but I need to stress this out again and again:
No, please stop.

Vaporware

Compositing helped GNU and is used on most desktops now, the whole lol wobbly windows was just a silly demo of that.

So, yes, it was, and it did. Because if you're not using GNU, you're a moron.

No.
You are deaf autistic self fellating autists.
If I scream loud enough, maybe you will acknowledge this, this time.

What? In what way is Vulkan vaporware?

dude seriously tho
I remember playing around with linux briefly when I was 14 ish. After I saw that listed as a 'feature' for linux desktops I quit fucking with linux and went back to windows

The desktop is killing Linux, keep it away please.

>falling for shuttlejew memes
ubuntu gnome is goat

>debian with a shitty DE

Just use fucking Debian

But user it's Debian unstable + eye cancer DE that Shuttlefuck finally decided to abort + tumor attached to apt known as PPAs + spyware (inb4 i-i-i-it's disabled by default!) + 2 or 3 shitty Canonicial-grown projects that does what 2 or 3 other solutions do but 2 or 3 times shittier, and will be aborted by Shuttlefuck at his whim.