Just wondering, are the people on here actually serious when they recommend Linux, or is it some kind of inside joke?

Just wondering, are the people on here actually serious when they recommend Linux, or is it some kind of inside joke?

I spent a few weeks trying to use Linux as my main OS, everything is just needlessly complicated compared to Windows 7, it has no where near as good software/hardware compatibility and I couldn't really see any benefits to using it at all. It seems like you spend ten times as long fiddling with your OS than you do actually being productive.

Linux, or GNU/Linux as I've come to calling it, is pretty much an OS for NEET's with way too much time on their hands. It's predominantly used by virgins to want to feel like hackers. There's really no reason to use it that I can think of, if you don't like Windows 10 being a botnet (tinfoil hat tier) just use 8.1 or 7.

if you know how to work using a terminal, you will be way more productive than on windows

freedom, security

Dumb frogposter.

serious

kill yourself retard

Dont worry too much. Linux users are just poor people who cant afforrd Windows, MAC, or Microsoft Office.

Use Windows 10 or MAC.

Botnet is a meme.

Linux's only use in the enterprise world is server side, otherwise it's good to code freetard trash or as NEET animu watching OS. If you're doing actual general computer work Windows is 10x better.

post frogdumber

NORMIES OUT

Linux literally has no value for anyone using it as a desktop OS.

when some of you fags will actually get a line of work in the tech industry, you'll understand why linux has its advantages over other bullshit
95% of Sup Forums users are fags that don't know shit.
Hopefully shitposting will decrease when summer ends

most of the time it's a joke, but some people are legitimately ignorant

in reality it's OpenBSD you want to use

shut the fuck up you motherfucker
Every linux distro are the same if you know how to configure.
STOP THIS USELESS DISTRO WAR

>BSD
>Linux distro
kys retard

BSDs are fully-fledged operating systems. They are not distros.

>spend a few weeks using a new operating system
>complain that it's harder to do things than in the operating system you have likely used for most of your life

Linux is great for some. But ultimately, if windows works for you there's no reason to switch.

If whatever you are using is already aesthetically pleasing and does everything you need, there is no reason to switch other than curiosity.

the freefag cult is relentless

Everything on Sup Forums is a joke mate

It works just as well if you actually know what you're doing. There's a learning curve as there is with all things in life, deal with it

Actually after using Linux I find difficulty using Windows.
>Tree structure file system
>nearly everything available from the command line
>install what you need from repos
What I lack is image editor software and decent office suite and fonts.

I spent less time and less bandwidth on Ubuntu than win10

what is research?
what is clustering?
what is machine learning?
And as you say what is security?
I can go on, but windows doesn't even have neither the infrastructure nor the fucking programs I need for my shit
Both of you
go pack to your pad os and gaymes
nix is for actual computing

>Microsoft Office.
spotted the non academic

NOBODY USES THAT FFS
What is LaTeX?
You only produce shit documents with that crap in corny unbearable formats. Your pad document maker for retards. Do you think people really write their report in office? Do you seriously think people write books in?
NO

Learn how to computer

How do I make a spreadsheet in Latex my friend?

>It seems like you spend ten times as long fiddling with your OS than you do actually being productive.

Welcome to Sup Forums

well you have other applications for that shitty economics crap. Excel too is pure cancer, but at least not as cancerous as (((office)))

You got tons of online crap for it even that can generate documents for you like pdf and so, so the plebs can open and read it without having to install a lot of crap

That's the output of LaTex too, you get a .pdf for the plebs so they don't have to buy anything and you can safely use it across platforms

>well you have other applications for that shitty economics crap
None of them can beat Excel. And it's not used just in "economics", my dear NEET.
>Excel too is pure cancer, but at least not as cancerous as (((office)))
Excel is Office.
>You got tons of online crap for it even that can generate documents for you like pdf and so, so the plebs can open and read it without having to install a lot of crap
What the fuck are you talking about now. We were talking about spreadsheets.
>That's the output of LaTex too, you get a .pdf for the plebs so they don't have to buy anything and you can safely use it across platforms
how does these plebs make quick changes or add comments to it? Because that's a pretty common use case in the enterprise, my dear NEET.

>Excel
>Cancer
Pick one lul

>OS for NEET's
Those use windows so they can play the latest bethesda crap.

>everything is just needlessly complicated
you are an idiot
keep using windows

Linux is straight up a joke, I spent about 10 minutes laughing when I realised you can't navigate the folders in Linux with the back and forward buttons on your mouse. Not to mention it's shitty text rendering.

Why would you want to do that in a GUI?

You mean why would I want to press the buttons I already have my hand on rather than reach over to my keyboard and use the arrow keys? Or move my cursor to the back and forward on-screen buttons?

You're literally arguing for inconvenience just for inconveniences sake.

I meant
>Why would you want to that [navigating folders] in a GUI?
You are much faster using the terminal

>You are much faster using the terminal
>linuxturds actually believe this

cd [TAB][TAB]

all you hear from windows users is "lost my data" or "pc wont reboot" or "virused"

you don't hear anything from linux users because they've all been arrested for cp sooooooooo

found the retard

HOW WILL FREETARDS EVER RECOVER?

>install windows
>updates take over 1 hour
>up-do-date drivers crash for no reason
>older hardware doesn't work at all
>fixing a problem requires one to autistically dig through badly-designed control panel screens for hours to find the one setting to change

>install linux
>everything just werkz out of the box
>updates are extremely simple
>all my old hardware works instantly
>if anything needs to be changed, just add a line or two to a config file somewhere

b-but the t-terminal is too h-hard for me, user

>wintards think it's a matter of belief

dumb frogposter

If linux isn't a good fit for you nobody is forcing you to use it.

Yes. You're right.
I've been maining Arch Linux as my desktop for three years.
It's a valuable learning experience, but only if you have time.

Start with Ubuntu.
Unless you're getting into hardcore compsci or programming, you won't need anything else, and Ubuntu is a pretty user friendly alternative for people who just want the freedom, privacy, and security that Windows, Mac, Google, and Android don't provide.

I use it because I don't want to be microsoft's cockslave, and because I need it for work. I don't play too many gaymes nor do I do media creation, so I've never really needed anything else. Besides, windows is noticeably slower and more of a resource hog

>Splinter Cell

Botnet was backported to 7&8

Botnet is a meme.
If you unironically listen to Sup Forums whenever they call something a botnet, you wouldn't be posting here or using the internet outside of Stallman's autistic blog.

If you like the command line Linux is the only way.

Powershell is far more powerful than any nix shell though. Besides that it's pretty easy to use Bash or other shells in Windows.

No. No one is stupid enough to use an OS that doesn't let you do anything on it. Also, the windows botnet is a lie

Here in the US, in every single class from fifth grade up to my final class in college, we used Microsoft Office for our essays.

How so? To be honest I am new to command line so I don't really know what you mean by "powerful." I had trouble with windows because some of the programs I wanted to use didn't work.

It's one thing when it's online, it's a different thing when it spreads to my offline activity and personal files.

Go shit in the street

College and major?

Explain what's going to happen to your tentacle he-... "personal files"

Personal files should not be seen by third parties.

WWU, CS w/ minor in language TESOL

Stop spamming

My mother called me over pretty much every months cause something was fucked on her laptop and I needed to fix it.
Eventually I convinced her to just fucking use Arch, installed her everything she usually needs, made nice big shortcuts and everything and here I am 2 years later and she doesnt even have a problem with the printer.

Linux saved a lot of my nerves there.

Sorry but Linux isn't for brainlets.

suck my fuck nerd

>Arch
>2 years

Did you stop it from getting updates?

Oh look, it's this thread again.

Well yeah I cant be arsed to ssh into it every week to install em. The whole trick why this thing still works is her not knowing how to elevate her privileges.
Then again when she asked me last year to access her smartphone on it I had to download some updates and it fucked up the xserver a bit but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

>he uses a shitty terminal with no thumbnails and detailed information to navigate between folders
>he thinks any sane person would actually use explorer.exe
>he is against macros

>You mean why would I want to press the buttons I already have my hand on rather than reach over to my keyboard and use the arrow keys?
It's the other way around, my friend. I despise web browsers primarily because they have no good keyboard navigation so that I have to move my hand to the mouse.

>thumbnails
Spotted the one who only uses his computer for shitposting.

Powershell is a more universal useful language than the Unix shell, but if I wanted that, I'd use SBCL for my login shell. The Unix shell is good precisely because it is specialized in just the right way for shell tasks, and that's also what makes Powershell less useful for that purpose, in just the same way that general-purpose languages are pretty useless as shells.

Unix shells are based on text manipulation only, while Powershell is based on .NET and allows direct manipulation of objects. In other words you have access to the .NET framework directly from the command line, and commands can output rich objects (with distinct properties) instead of just a wall of text you need to parse manually.

Also Windows is more consistent when it comes to automating. In Windows there's one way to do it. For example, you manipulate the wifi networks probably through WMI. On Linux, you need to know first which network manager are you running (NetworkManager, netctl or whatever). This script wouldn't be portable to another Linux machine unless it's running the same network manager.

Powershell is specialized in being a shell, as its name implies.
>Powershell less useful for that purpose
How so? i've been using it as my main shell for a couple of months now and besides the initial learning curve I haven't found anything wrong.

>what is research?
>what is clustering?
>what is machine learning?
>And as you say what is security?
Things you can do on windows

Why didn't you just install Ubuntu or its derivatives?

Linux is great if you take the time to learn your distro and don't have any obscure hardware or hobby concerns.

I fucking loved Ubuntu in HS, but I gave in and installed XP back in 2009.

>security
>Windows

laughing whores.jpg

It is not as good as Windows, anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is delusional. The same thing applies to all free software and its' proprietary counterparts, even RMS will tell you this. The point is that you should be willing to sacrifice some convenience for the sake of your privacy. You shouldn't be sending a message to corporations that you're willing to be fucked in the ass for convenience's sake.

>what is research?
In research the general setup is that everyone gets a Linux workstation for everyday work, and then there's a few shared Windows boxes for whenever they're needed. This works because pretty much everything that needs to do can be done in Linux.
>what is clustering?
The Windows equivalents have never provided anywhere near the same level of stability and configurability as Linux.
Most of the deep learning software is still being developed, and tends to be developed in Linux.
>what is security?
pic related

Meh, I'll admit I haven't had much chance to use it (since I have no Windows systems), but my first impressions were that it was too general-purpose so that selection, filtering, processing, &c of information in pipelines became tediously verbose.

>For example, you manipulate the wifi networks probably through WMI. On Linux, you need to know first which network manager are you running (NetworkManager, netctl or whatever). This script wouldn't be portable to another Linux machine unless it's running the same network manager.
>variety and choice are bad things
Bet you would have loved to live in the USSR.

You really expect anyone to believe this bullshit story?

yea

Did it ever strike you that maybe some people feel the same about Windows?
If you move from America to Russia it's going to seem unusual, and also vice versa.

I guess one relevant difference is that I also know how to use Windows, so it's not a matter of ignorance but rather convenience.

Yes, we're all pretending, just like people on Sup Forums pretend to be racist and people on /r9k/ pretend to kill themselves.

I doubt it simply because of arch. If it was Debian or CentOS, maybe.
But giving computer illiterate people Linux over Windows is anything but a bad idea.

a fucking snake oil corpse dug up from the 60s

Not really. I converted my entire family to linux except the Muh Gaems brother. My siblings and parents use their PCs and Laptops as a Facebook machine and are extremely happy with the result.
Just switch them to Ubuntu or its derivatives and they will adapt to it like a fish to a water. Except father who can't into file formats so I taught him how to use Google docs and he is completely satisfied.

>variety and choice are awesome things
>conspicuous consumption is a sacrament
>t.business student who needs to have their consumption choices socially reaffirmed
>being this desperate to make other people like them
Pointless bourgeois affectations, the lot.

even using a gui fm i'm much faster using the keyboard to navigate
ctl+[shift]+tab to switch tabs
up/down to move between items (i use details view 99% of the time)
any letter/numbers typed limits selection to file with those characters in them
alt+left/right to move back/forward
alt+up to go to the parent folder
etc

Cd ""
Ls
Cd ""
Ls

HACKING
ACKING
CKING
KING