Ereaders

What's the current state of ereaders?
I don't find reading from an LCD comfortable at all for long periods, so I've been strongly considering picking up an eink reader.
However, impressions have always seemed a bit mixed.

I have the opportunity to get a Kobo Aura HD for $100~, this model is a number of years old now, but the updates have only added things I don't care about like waterproofing. Is it otherwise still a good option?

Other urls found in this thread:

makeuseof.com/tag/dont-buy-e-reader-upcoming-technologies-kill-kindle/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you want it to just read books, your standard kindle paperwhite will do everything you want and last forever. Yes you can drag and drop pirated books. You can also email them to the Amazon service and they will sync the pirated books across your devices if you don't mind some botnet.
If you want to do other shit with it buy whatever comparable brand that is cheapest.

I came here to say basically this. Just get a paperwhite

The paperwhite is actually annoying in the fact that the new top of the line kindle looks sexy as fuck (but absurdly expensive), but I won't ever have to replace the paperwhite until I smash it or whatever.

I got a Kindle voyage, pretty happy with it but you dont really need the DPI. It comes in handy for small font pdfs though.

theres no A4 sized colour ereader and that makes me sad

i have a kindlewhite too
just dont try reading manga on it cause no sd card
otherwise its perfectly fine and pretty comfy

Thanks for the Kindle advice. I had wanted to stay away from Amazon since I have no interest in using any of their services and Kobo seems to be the better product feature wise, the lack of an SD card on the Kindles seems very annoying.
The Kindles also all appear to be 6" models, I had wanted to get something slightly larger, since 6" seems rather small.

However, if they're just as good in practice then I will take a look and reconsider. Thanks.

i have an ssh plugin for this exact reason, reading manga on the pw is just too comfy so i delete and copy more volumes from my phone.

If there are specific features or sizes on other models you want and you can get a good deal, go for it.

The kindle just does a really good job of what it's designed to do: replace a paperback book.
For most devices SD slot is a must for me but in this case it actually does not matter. You simply aren't going to require more than a few thousand books on the device at one time unless you use it for reading manga (which the device isn't great for).

Is PDF support still horrible?
What about PDFs that aren't just scans?

it's still really slow even if you jailbreak it for better support, I've always had better luck converting pdf's to mobi

how easy is it zooming in on a part of a document? sometimes I read scans and it's hard to make out what it says.

monitoring this thread for interest

PDFs are generally terrible.
Zooming is pretty slow.

You should look at these devices as really just doing one thing well: replacing books.
If you need to read PDF documents or Mangos you should use a tablet or large phone.
I dust off my Nexus 7 2012 every now and then for this exact reason.

Allow me to shill for Kobo for a bit. I've had two Kobo ereaders so far and I love them. Destroyed the first one, an Aura, because of my own stupidity and had to get a new one. Got a Glo because they didn't sell the Aura model I used to have any more. Get a proper cover or case, my screen broke after I put it in a weekend bag alongside a laptop. They work great, accept all ebook files, DRM or no DRM, unlike the Kindles. I believe they also accept cbr (comic book format, basically an archive file with image files). They have the screen size of a paperback book though, and zooming in on an image file is a pain in the arse. Kobos are cheap and have a frontlit screen, which makes reading in the dark pretty nice.

I have a Kobo Aura edition 2. all the botnet shit can be defeated in an hilariously easy manner (just plug it in and create a local account with sqlite)

honestly, I only bought it because I have a strict "Amazon and digital media don't mix" policy and I don't think it's worth the extra 50 bucks over the Paperwhite

Thanks, I think I will go with the Kobo after all.
I didn't realise that every single one of these things is infested with spyware. At least on the Kobo it seems trivial to replace the stock software with a free alternative.

What's the extent of the botnet with the Paperwhite?

21 centijews

lol

Any recommendation in regards to a decent tablet for pdfs?

I bought a pocketbook 614 and its perfect for my LNs and sci-fi/fantasy books

1. eink itself is a shitty meme. The distraction-free experience and battery life isn't. Frontlight is a must.
2. Kindle is a meme too, they are locked down and are centered on the social features now, not reading experience. Latest kobos are generally better and more open, especially with koreader.

I have one, good apart from the fact that 100 books in it stopped being able to search text.
Who the fuck thought that indexing fucking text (and disabling search of not indexed text) is a good idea?

>eink itself is a shitty meme
It looks nicer (subjective), works better in direct sunlight and gives you tens of hours of reading on one charge.

are you me? Also had 2 Kobos, an Aura HD which I dropped on the toilet because I was pissing and reading at the same time, and now I bought a Glo because the Aura HD isn't available anymore. My brother had a Kindle (not sure about the version) and in terms of layout, user friendliness, DRM bullshit and all that sort of thing, Kobo is much better than Amazon.

I have nothing bad to say about Kobo ereaders

All I want is a large ereader for manga and one that will take a SD card.

I'm thinking about the Kobo Aura now. I've been using a Kindle Keyboard I borrowed from my sis, it works OK and still connects to 3G but the UI sucks.
I remember looking into ereaders in 2015, I was hoping there'd be better/larger devices to handle PDF's by now. Some Chinese company or other, I forget.

I mean that if you're buying one purely for muh eyes, you got to be disappointed (or falling to placebo), because they are nowhere near a good book, especially due to glare, and people wasted their eyes on books for centuries. They are good for battery life and the feeling of a dedicated reading device though.

>I mean that if you're buying one purely for muh eyes
lrn2read you dum dum
>especially due to glare
you just have to angle it a bit to get rid of that
high sunlight contrast is nothing to scoff at though
>and the feeling of a dedicated reading device
was it autism?

Tablets are to e-readers what smart phones are to mp3 players

t. poorfag
Why not have both? Why are you so poor?

Is there any way to make PDFs doable on a paperwhite? I love my paperwhite and all but some books I just don't find in any format but pdf, and let's not get started on conversion.

>Is there any way to make PDFs doable on a paperwhite?
Yes, sell it and buy something bigger.

This. e-readers are legitimately the worst consumer technology available right now in value, performance, freedom, etc. They're fucking cancer.

I have a kindle paper white and the main point of e-readers is portability any bigger size than 6 inch might affect portability so paper white will be just fine. Also i was looking through my feed and found this article any thoughts-
makeuseof.com/tag/dont-buy-e-reader-upcoming-technologies-kill-kindle/

You can convert them to epub with calibre but the formatting is usually kinda fucked up.

Get rid of the bezels and you get 7 inches with the same size of the device.

They exist. Check out the Onyx Boox Max.

The only trouble is getting one for a non-ridiculous price.

Yes paper white has really big bezels but i always thought it was purposely so that the thumb does not cover screen on the front while holding it with one hand

I don't know how you hold it but I could comfortably use it with way smaller bezels.

i got one some years ago to carry my pdfs around

i dont know man i think an actual book made me enjoy more reading it than a pdf

I hold it with my thumb on the front and index finger almost all the time btw you read the article