wired.com/2015/09/whatsapp-serves-900-million-users-50-engineers/
github.com/hansihe/rustler
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So, why this language is not popular?

Rust

Bad marketing.

Rust

hurr durr we can't figure out green threads

rust is a sorta half funny joke not meant to be taken seriously except by pseudo-intellegent cucks
yes i know it's a joke

suck Joe Armstrong's fat cock

c#

Who wants green threads? Async I/O is soo much better (it's not)

Racket

Complicated bloat

>SBT

such blazing fast performance

That's not what erlang excels at. It's fantastic when you distribute stuff, because the virtual machine has a built-in mechanism for distribution. You can essentially spawn up 1000 machines, link them together, and treat them as a single VM.

Also, if you want to increase performance, use erjang VM which is erlang VM implemented on the JVM, which gives you huge performance bump in the "performance test" situations, because of the JVM's great optimization mechanisms.

Whatsapp was written in Erlang and they managed the whole thing with only 50 people

wired.com/2015/09/whatsapp-serves-900-million-users-50-engineers/

>believing any of Wired's articles

C#

Ehm...

>best language
The one I use
>worst language
The one you use (unless it's the one I use)

Fucking English

You misspelled Chinese.

Oh god you can't change the values of variables and you have to write loops recursively.

Other than that it's pretty cool actually. Would use if it were as popular/widely used at least as C.

Nihonjin desu~~~

*nihongo

Java

coffeescript is terrible dude

*chugoku

GOKUUUUUUU?
KAAAAAAMMMEEEEEEEHHAAAAAMMMEEEEEHHAAAAAAAA!!!!!

underage banned

looks like i have to make an entire new programming language based on dragonball to not get banned from Sup Forums

erlang+rust is better than both of them :^)
github.com/hansihe/rustler

see above

you need to try harder pajeet

whatsapp successfully using elixir for handling over one billion users is a much better benchmark than this one

>whatsapp successfully using elixir
not elixir. erlang.

>fucking your language harder than bill cosby on a friday night to be fast without actually having to have a fast compiler.

literally disregarded trash

this is true, and everything in that article is true

yeah that one is actually better

Most languages with static types. Dynamic typing is for brainlets and always has been.

50 people seems like a lot for the early versions of whatsapp. It was an incredibly simple app.

I watched a talk on this, and what's interesting about their setup is how quickly they put together the backend for their app, and how well it scaled. They put like 10% of the time into scaling their backend that other companies would have, and still process their messages on a fundamentally similar system. Erlang is built for problems like theirs.

Apparently, Facebook used erlang when they started Facebook Messenger, but moved away from it (to C++) only when they realized no engineers they had knew the language well enough.

Excellent taste.

anything that has strings at least

We should believe you. You know the real story

I am trying out RabbitMQ right now, had to install Erlang runtime(?) for it. Guess it is good for some stuff.

Thanks user.
Elixir is great. The syntax, functional nature, hell, even the name makes me think I'm pic related!

Crystal has great potential as well.

Erlang was created by Ericsson to solve communication problems.

I don't think so