/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/webcam_setup
developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
w3schools.com/html/html5_semantic_elements.asp
findnerd.com/list/view/Non-Semantic-Elements-and-Semantic-Elements-in-HTML5/10153/
amazon.com/ASUS-VG278HV-1920x1080-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01DDR0FE2
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I feel like it's too late for me to learn how to program
I feel like everyone inevitably knows more than I do and I'll never be successful
how do I get over this feeling?

Thank you for using an anime image

I am in the same boat, python keeps kicking my ass and somehow during lessons things appear with no reason or explanation. My plan is to focus on creating something that I can find fun, so I am going into pygame. Plus I need to step back from codefights cause I already broke enough things yesterday.

I've got an old Dell Inspiron 1525. It needs some repairs (a hinge is broken, missing some bottom screws), but I am wondering if it worth upgrading.

Right now, it has a 250 GB HDD. I was thinking of getting a SDD to replace it, but the max RAM is 4 GB, so I don't know if it worth the trouble.

Is it possible to make a single slice of bread without making the rest of the loaf?

What do you want to use it for?

why THE FUCK is this normal behavior for windows 10?

Why does it need 20x connections open to Microsoft and Akamai at all times and a million listening ports when its doing nothing?

Is this the fabled win10 botnet?

what do other people's
netstat -a -n

look like? is this normal?

>What do you want to use it for?

I think it would mostly be used for web browsing and listening to music.

why the fuck does it communicate with amazon nonstop?

There is no amazon software even installed.

Welcome to the botnet.

my linux machines have no listening ports unless if I explicity install a service that listens on it.

Win10 is fugging amazing how much bot they try and fit in to a single operating system
10x connections to microsoft open at all times
10x connections to Akamai open at all times
1-2 amazon connections...

It should be fine, but I would install linux(any distro).

Can I install a persistent version of Linux onto a thumbdrive that doesn't lose all my settings and files when I turn off the PC? I've used a live USB version of Ubuntu before, so it should be easy, right?

how do you know which ones amazon?

Yeah, it isn't large though(4gb).

yes, perform a normal linux install onto the target thumbdrive.

this is different from flashing a live boot image.

whois queries.

the 52.0.0.0/11 block is amazon so is the 34.192.0.0/10 block

trying to compile a program to run, but they dont give instructions on how to compile it. when im using qmake and the file it should make, it give error Could not find a qt installation of ''

Pretty sure the server doesn't offer an IP before the client has requested one.

Is there a way to add multiple files to be replaced during runtime of a docker image? (currently only a folder gets mapped to inside of the docker container)

docker run -ti --rm -v ~/pdf:/pdf bwits/pdf2htmlex pdf2htmlEX --zoom 1.3 test.pdf

My grandma needs an antivirus for her notebook, which one is the most ironclad out of the free ones?

Have a pair of monoprice headphones. They work just fine but after extended usage (multiple hours on end) they start to really hurt the ears. I thought about buying the brainwavz hm5 replacement pads, but am not sure if I should or not. That would make the total spent on it come to $52, at that point I may as well have just bought the mdrv6 from sony to begin with. however, the benefit of the monoprice headphones is that they are unassuming and it is unlikely that someone would try to african american them, and they also could be very easily replaced.

thoughts?

it kinda does tho.

the client discovers, and then this image depicts
dhcpoffer, dhcprequest and dhcp ack

is it difficult to setup a webcam on Arch? or will it be as easy as plug and go? was thinking about buying logitech c920

thx op, i diddent know the next season was out already, gona watch it later

literally read the wiki
>wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/webcam_setup

Is the 4k TV tcl 55p607 capable of 120hz refresh rate at lower display resolutions (like 1080p)?

Is Midori browser a piece of buggy garbage that crashes all the time or am i the only one that experiences this ?

I have never had much success with it

I get dropped frames at the beginning of every video with MPC-HC+ madVR when in fullscreen mode. How do I fix it?

i'm really overwhelmed by all the linux distros. i have an kind of old macbook pro (2013 just 4gigs of ram) and use it for school, music and to watch stuff on.
i'm not a complete retard since i know ho to use google effectively.

my questions would be: will it run faster on linux? what kind should i install to meet my needs, i don't mind tinkering with stuff while setting it up. it just needs to be reliable after it's set up. thanks kind anons.

arch

openvpn --config /path/to/file.ovpn
This is nice and all, but how do I make it persistent?

setup a service file...

well, if you want fast and dont mind tinkering during install then run arch or gentoo... maybe Arch and follow its install guide. It can seem intimidating at first but just actually READ it and do what it says and install wont be an issue.

The hardest part of an arch install for newbies will likely just be getting the bootloader configured properly

If you want something thats less trouble to install and still stable and extensible I would suggest Fedora

enabling it as a service is the best option.

otherwise create a startup script that runs at boot

thanks a lot, i think i will try both.

arch is a meme, the easy way to start is with fedora or a debian

Yes

read the manual

try the headphone general

Microsoft Security Essentials is a traditional choice

what happen to calisto threads

I noticed this:

developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines

but I dont understand how portable the VM of W10 is, if I move it to another machine will it work?

Can I install windows normally on a seperate disk than linux, for dual boot, but then run windows in a VM if I booted into linux? That flexibility would be great if possible, so if I bork my linux, I have the windows drive.

A while ago I had to RMA my motherboard so I called Microsoft to transfer my old Windows license to my new motherboard, they were having trouble doing that so they just gave me a new license. Now, I upgraded to a new motherboard and I tried to uninstall my old license from my other old motherboard and activate it on this one, but it wouldn't let me. Anyways, now I'm ready to sell my old motherboard on eBay. Is there any reason at all that I shouldn't give the buyer of my motherboard the windows 10 license that's tied to my old motherboard? Or is it tied to my Microsoft account?

Why wont my keyboard and mouse work when I try installing windows 7?

fedora is still more bleeding edge like arch?

what might you recommend for a HTPC/NAS that I leave running for long periods?

Centos? Or Fedora? Ubuntu Server?

You can move VMs about just fine. As to running an OS installed on disk in a VM I dunno. Windows would probably complain about unregistered mobo though

>Windows would probably complain about unregistered mobo though
Good point

>You can move VMs about just fine.
This goes for W10 licensed VM as well?

So lets say I move the VM file from one machine to another, W10 wont complain? I assume Microsoft would block this otherwise I could run several W10 VMs?

How do I into service?

>Can I install windows normally on a seperate disk than linux, for dual boot, but then run windows in a VM if I booted into linux?
This may be possible.
create a blank virtual machine, no drives attached and using the VM manager mount the physical windows drive as it's primary HDD. The windows partition will require it's own bootloader.

arch wiki

Probably
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt

>what might you recommend for a HTPC/NAS that I leave running for long periods?
I would suggest a minimal CLI-only distro like arch or maybe debian minimal.

Fedora has no minimal but will work fine as a NAS server, it just has the overhead of a GUI

learn basic commands like cd (change directory) and ls (list ( whatever is on the currect directory)) and after that install arch .
you are gonna learn a shit ton of stuff about how computers work and you will end up with a very costumized for your needs and prefrences machine !

I use Debian buster. Would recommend.

Hi,
So basically my xbox 360 controller can't sync for shit with anything I own (console, adapter). Other controllers work fine. I fell on floor once what can be an issue?

Google doesn't give me any results, only retarded answers about pressing the sync button.

Pls halp

Did you press the sync button?

I hate you so much (I did)

a lil overhead is fine, and a GUI is welcome as a HTPC as well.

I'm putting my 4790k to work as a NAS which is a bit overkill.

im more worried of the "update my packages and my linux wont boot right anymore" stuff I hear about. Dont want that instability

I started learning HTML again recently and I realized that I'm being taught about non-semantic elements along with semantic elements. If non-semantic elements are heavily not recommended, why are they being still taught to newbies like me? Why not just never speak of them ever and teach only semantic elements to prevent any confusion?

My old phone was 4 years old and about to die, so I bought a Moto G5+ ti replace it.

I went and proceeded to download the WhatsApp backup form Drive to keep my business conversations, but I failed to realize that the last backup I had was nearly 1 month old, so there were plenty of messages that didn't appear on my phone. So I went back to the previous phone and renewed the backup to the most recent conversations stored on the phone. But I have a problem:

How the heck am I supposed to append the new backup to what I already have in WhatsApp?

Just load the new backup

Yes. You need two thumbdrives for that, though: One for the image, one where you install it on.

I suppose it would be the same problem with the VM being in different virtualized hardware if you used different VM software. Win 10 works fine without a license anyway.

What the fuck is a non semantic element?

But how? I go to

Settings>Chats>Chat Backups

But it doesn't give the option to LOAD a backup; only save.

Delete whats app and its data and load the latest backup

I need a greasemonkey script to remove "68." from a url and change "540" or "1280" to raw
Someone help I'm really fucking stupid.

So all of the HDDs at my local best buy are made in china...is this still a good deal? I'm only going to use this for video storage. Will I notice buffering while watching videos with the 128mb cache difference?

"Made in China: most likely 128MB cahce
Made in Thailand: most likely 256MB cache"

what's a good cbz file reader? I want to revisit some comics from my childhood, but the only decent solutions I could find are on android, one of the more popular ones "comic rack" didn't work out too well for me; it was too zoomed in, and I couldn't get it to zoom out.

I'm pretty sure there's gotta be a better way, but as long as it gets the job done...

Thanks anyways.

the hd in pic has a WD Red inside of it.
Just pull the hdd out of the case and use it as an internal.
Thaat drive is very well made and wont have problems(i have 6 of them)

What are some common alternative ports for SSH servers?
2222, 22222?

Anything above 1024,literally

ComicRack.
Might want to ask in Sup Forums.

Did a fresh arch install on x220, got I3, but for some reason alt and shift wont work together. Pressing shift first makes it not register alt at all, and vice-versa. What is going on and how can I fix it?

New PSU, old one failed
This case used to have little rubber pegs to stand on but they got lost in a move
I can't put the PSU flush against the floor, of course, but would it be really bad to place it facing up into the case? No, right?

My brother is using a 10 year old ~50" plasma screen as a monitor for his computer and it started having some sort of purple static that shows up after using the tv for a while. I've already tried updating drivers, swapping out cables, took off the back panel and cleaned out the dust. Are the circuit boards dying out? Anyone know what its called and point me towards more information on the subject?

Its a intake fan, there is no problem, actually is better for your case unless you have a GPU right next to it.

The GPU is above it
might blow warm air into the fan
probably not a problem
probably

The gas might be leaking or the TV might be dying. Any way you look at it, it's ten fucking years old, throw it out. You can get a damn 32 inch lcd for like 150 at Walmart anymore.

There is enough space between the 2, it will be ok.

thank you very much

Thanks for posting worst girl

Not the circuits, but the panel itself.
This was one huge problem with plasma before.

Ask for help in /diy/qtddtot

test

HDD prices are a fucking joke man. They rape you if you want a ten (10) TB drive, $340 @ newegg. Meanwhile two 5TB drives can be had for $125. WTF? Same total capacity (10TB) but at a savings of $90 if you grab the 5TB. I'm gonna grab a few 5TB drives later this year.

no, you can install it through a VM onto the flash drive (or any kind of drive) as well

Is there a Google Play services replacement for unrooted phones?

The bigger they are the harder they are to make without losing reliability.
They use more platters too.

I just noticed some strange lines on a part of my monitor Dell P2416D.
The lines are visible in the bottom right corner.
Can someone tell me what they are / how they could have appeared (it looks like burn in)?
Pic related if you watch closely you can see the lines.

looks like stuff was burned into it from the monitor being on to long at too high of a brightness

I actually turned up the brightness a week ago, but I didn't know burn in was still a big issue on IPS monitors.
The longest time a still image was on there is about 1-2 hours I guess.

Any suggestions on a gamepad to get for my laptop that i can sling in a backpack, wireless/bluetooth ideally.

Larger drives are new technology.Of course they are going to rape you on the price.They also use more platters,meaning more physical girth

I just tested my hard drive on a T420s, and it gave me pic related. It's much slower than my desktop. I'm wondering if this is why the boot up time is so shitty. Could it be the HDD's fault?

Non-semantic elements tell nothing about its content. e.g. : and
Whereas, semantic elements like and provide meaning to the information.
Sauces:
w3schools.com/html/html5_semantic_elements.asp
findnerd.com/list/view/Non-Semantic-Elements-and-Semantic-Elements-in-HTML5/10153/

>meaning more physical girth
O-Okay. So next time I want a flash drive I should go down to the computer shop and demand to be presented with their largest physical girth?

What benchmarking software can I use?

I just installed muh Ryzen 7 and I want to test the speed.

I need a CPU benchmarking tool.

Thanks.

Best PCIe SSD? Tried userbenchmarks but there's abunch of M.2 SSDs labeled in the PCIe label.

Needs to fit in a PCIe slot, mobo doesn't have Meme.2.

Hi Sup Forums, I need help with gaming monitors. I know that response time is a scam ("1ms" lag or whatever) and not related to actual input delay, or so I've been told. I want a monitor with the least amount of actual input delay as possible. Anyone have recommendations? Preferably a newer model, and 144hz. I've been looking at this "super fast 1ms" monitor amazon.com/ASUS-VG278HV-1920x1080-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01DDR0FE2 but apparently its actual input delay is like 16ms or so? Can we go lower?

Thanks a bunch

>test

Test Failed. Abort, Retry, Fail?