/pcbg/ PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/tJKfzM
budgetgamingpc.wixsite.com/budgetgaming/builds-bronze
overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/781091-AMD-Ryzen-Win7-ISO-Guide
pcpartpicker.com/list/FrVMtJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/FZWhcc
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108065
pcpartpicker.com/list/9hj6tJ
anandtech.com/bench/product/1717?vs=1743
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

why do low iq people buy intel?

>threadripper isnt listed on pcpartpicker yet

fucking intel shills...

because marketing only works on low iq "people"

what are you implying? topkek you fucked up

threadripper isn't even released yet

hey OP, fix that r5 1400 description, the r3's are the cheapest quad cores available now

What can i build with 300$. new/used parts?

Finally got it working.

pcpartpicker.com/list/tJKfzM
Can I have some last minute critiques and advice before I finally buy my parts? Using my new PC for photo and video editing, streaming/gaming, and some vms.

get a good air cooler instead

do you absolutely need all the features on that asus board? If not there are many cheaper options.

gonna upgrade my 1600 to the 1950x when it comes out for no good reason.

still gonna use it to play vns and watch tv.

those use different boards

get 2 more ram sticks so you can make use of that sweet sweet quad channel ram

Ive never posted before but I f5'd for a while and no one was reposting so I did it. Im sure whoever normally does it will fix it next time.

>get 2 more ram sticks
getting 4 more for 64gb of sweet sweet ram

i know. probably gonna get the gigabyte x399 cause my current am4 board from them is pretty good

>ordered my 580 4gb
>didn't notice the fine print that said 10 days or more
>it's been 20 days
>no iGPU because ryzen

I just want to play vidya, I unironically support banker jews to shutdown the cryptomeme.

Anyone else gonna buy/pre order the new HAF as soon as they can? I just bought my p400 but it's the non tempered glass $59 one so I don't feel bad.
I think it's fucking gorgeous for a sub $150 case.

I was going to buy a DH15 but I'm worried that I won't have enough clearance in the case as well as the limited airflow.
Most of the x370 motherboards are similarly priced at my local hardware store. And I've had good experiences with ASUS BIOS and support in the past (especially community support, lots of people using the crosshair VI that update their performance when new updates roll around).

yeah, I hope those 200mm fans are pwm tho, if not i'll replace them with 3x 140mm

It doesn't have to be a DH-15, that thing could cool down a fucking fx 9590

any mid-high end air cooler will be better and last more time while not endangering your stuff

grab a 1050, 560, or 1050ti overnight from amazon a prime free trial and just return it when your 580 shows up?

Gtx 1050ti is pretty good for its price nowadays. I recommend it esp with the recent gpu supply shock

how do they mount a gaphics card like that? is there some kind of pci-e bridge i dont know about?

Any Brits here made a list of Gaming PC parts if your on a tight budget, all under £350 made a list of all the parts links are mostly all to amazon. budgetgamingpc.wixsite.com/budgetgaming/builds-bronze

probably a riser cable they built onto the case

Yes a bunch of cases use pci-e risers like the phanteks enthoo elite, the fractal node 202 and others.
The previous mac pro(silver one) had two riser cards for it's RAM which was really cool.

>worried my 1070 was going to depreciate fast when I bought my PC
>check some local sites for used ones
>even used it's worth more than back in october when I bought it
FeelsGoodMan

legit considering selling it now to get full value and getting a 1080ti since its price doesn't seem so inflated right now and I can swing the extra dough

Does this shit even work, does it even matter if the PCI won't even be able to maximize the use of all the GPUs ?

wooooooo my penis get hard

ugly

any case that isn't a rectangular box(or some completely off the wall unique design) is ugly imho

it's for miners, the PCIe bus is barely used for that.

Also i was using an external GPU (and external monitor) on my T530 over the PCIe 2.0 x1 lane of the smartcard slot, worked suprisingly good for gaymes as long as there wasn't to much that had to be loaded into the VRAM.

Or just get something like a 7 series card because you're just going to sell the 1050 anyways.

what? he bought a 580, taking forever for it to ship. he could just buy a cheap gpu now and return it for 100% of his money in a few weeks.
why would be buy a used 7 series?

I might as well just use the stock cooler for now then.

So I just installed my new Ryzen 5 1600 and Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 mobo and when I try to install windows 7 my mouse and keyboard just shut off. They work in the bios just fucking fine but when it goes into the install screen they just stop. Lights and everything. Tried both USB 2 and 3.

Please help I just want my shiny new clean PC fucking working and I cant get my fucking mouse to work and it's been 6 hours!

How does it not break?
Gpus weigh a fuckton.
Gpu sag would be fucking terrible, wouldnt it?

Would 16gb of DDR4 be sufficient for a build with a 1300x out should I get 8gb at a higher speed?

got a PS2 mouse/keyboard flying around? Chipset drivers dont seem to be installed. Had that same problem with my brothers H170 board last year.

Have you tried all USB ports? Some work without drivers sometimes

many GPUs got backplates nowadays, and two or three screws on the I/O cover.

also ~0.6+mm multi layer PCBs are suprisingly strong

>got a PS2 mouse/keyboard flying around?
no I dont
>Have you tried all USB ports? Some work without drivers sometimes
I have tried all the usb ports

that's odd. Also tried the case USB ports connected to the headers on the board? But i doubt it'll work. Some of the ports are usually marked with a color and supposed to work without drivers, on my board there's a green box around two USB 3.0 slots for that reason.

I have tried all the ports including ubs 2, 3 and the headers. They all work during the bios but stop when going into windows installer.

Any recommendations for a small (128-250gb) NVMe? I want to get a dedicated drive to use as a scratch disc and maybe priority boot as well.

Samsung 950. It's not that useful for every day stuff though

Fucked. I doubt a bios update would help. Apart from getting a PS2 mouse/keyboard out of your cellar i don't really have an idea what to do. That's what i did when i had that problem at least

overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/781091-AMD-Ryzen-Win7-ISO-Guide

he just said he wants it to use as scratch drive

yeah, i'm retarded and overread that

>pump in my liquid cooler died
>have a 6 year warranty however
>submit a ticket for customer service from the manufacture to get a replacement
>been waiting since yesterday for them and they haven't responded with an email or anything

spam them

What do you guys think about liquid cooling for graphics cards?

why would you?

saves space, better temperatures for higher OCs if you want that. Hybrid solutions are retarded, and with full cover blocks you need to make sure that all PCB componenets are cooled properly. Expensive. Really silent when done correclty

Longevity

What do you guys think the best full tower case I could also reasonably fit into a carry-on suitcase? I'm moving overseas and would much rather bring my new rig with me than ship it.

I'm thinking about the Thor, just because lmaologicalincrementstoldmeto

>full tower case I could also reasonably fit into a carry-on suitcase

Not happening.

Buying a new cpu tonight to upgrade from 8320.

1700 or 7700k

what
do
you
do

gaems

Mostly old school runescape and watching youtube.

Any other suggestions?

Same question, gonna also buy 16 GB of 3000mhz ram and gtx 1060. Mostly for gaming

In that case, what would you recommend in terms of "will survive being checked with a decent amount of packing material alongside it"? I'm just really fucking paranoid about shipping it, though checking it feels almost as bad.

Is this a good build fora home NAS, and HTPC?

NAS:
pcpartpicker.com/list/FrVMtJ

I think this should be enough RAM for just a media server. Going to use FreeNAS

HTPC:
pcpartpicker.com/list/FZWhcc

And this should do fine with 4K shit. Might add a video card some day. This'll run Kodibuntu

If your stuff will fit, get an mITX board and a slim case along the lines of this (just an example): newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108065 and then, since this is just a temporary solution for travel that you won't be plugging in, fill the interior with some kind of no-mess shipping foam.

I was going to get a Phanteks something really smol case, the smallest one, but it looks like I'd have to get a tiny motherboard aswell since my actual one can't fit there. I don't know what to do since I have a i5 4460 and buying a new mobo for it looks retarded as I'd spend like 80€ or so and then 60€ on the case. Maybe I should go straight and upagrde it all and get that sweet 1700, but RAM prices are too high.

I have a gtx 760, I'll probably upgrade next gen

8>4

R3 1200

You could probably get away with a used Q6600 for 20 bucks

coffee lake when

unless intel makes 6 core i5's, it's fucking nothing

wasn't there speculation about i5s becoming six cores and i7s six cores with SMT? Anyways, information is still thin

redpill me on higher ram speeds. is it worth it? or can my cheap ass just use 2400 ddr4 and be fine?

STFU SHILL

entirely depends on your CPU and what you intend to do with it

ryzen 7, play games while doing some video encoding in the background and/or streaming.

vega and volta fucking when?

Finally, this board is real.

Gaming and just general use, nothing else.

1500$ budget, not including peripherals.

I'm going to use the SSD for boot and put the two HDD's in Raid 0.

I'm ready to pull the trigger, I just want a go ahead from someone else.

pcpartpicker.com/list/9hj6tJ

tell me more.

just look up benchmarks, even AMD published some
community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/07/14/memory-oc-showdown-frequency-vs-memory-timings

ryzen really likes high RAM speeds and sharp timings, probably especially since the IF that connects the two core clusters clocks with the RAM. You can overclock the RAM yourself if you want to.

You don't really need a 750W, look at the power thing at the top. 550W would be more than enough.

How much can I sell my 780 Ti's for?

Alright fuck it then. I'll just check the thing.

I actually don't see it talked about much in here but
what do you guys like for full towers these days?

nothing because they are fucking shit

>pcpartpicker.com/list/9hj6tJ
>i5 7600K
>H100i
get a ryzen 7 1700 and a decent aircooler. AiOs suck especially if you don't need them. Louder than a good aircooler, and one part more to fail. Crappy pumps often shit the bed after a few years.

If you cheap out on a few other components you could squeece an i7 7700K in there if you really want maximum gaming performance and got a matching screen to feed.

With the GPU it's probably worth it to wait until monday for the unlikely case that Vega is competitive. Even if it isn't it might drive prices down. Or it won't. Anyways, no harm in waiting two days.

I know they're a couple of years old now but "fucking shit" is a bit much isn't it?

anything that looks decent, non gaymery and won't cut my hands while installing shit, really. I like things like the fractal design define R4.

Would it be safe to just assume that since TR is just two Ryzens jammed together, it would benefit similarly from higher RAM speeds?

>tell me more.

See the op pic.

so many pcie connectors.

Did you not read the op you fucking retard nigger?

being as """"fast"""" as a 960 is fucking shit

they don't really get much optimization anymore, and the 3GB VRAM hurt in many new titles. Here in central yurop you can get about 120-150 eurobucks for them, depending on model and condition. Hawaii cards (R9 290(X)/R9 390(X)) sell for insane prices right now due to miners, and that has also driven up the prices for other used cards. If you want to get rid of them, now is the time.

yes, it still got two dies with two CCX each after all. I don't know if the inter die GMI connects are affected by RAM speed.

>Even if we pitted Radeon RX Vega against the mightier GeForce 1080Ti, my money would still bet on a similar outcome: that you wouldn’t really be able to tell the difference with variable refresh rate. And I believe no gamer should ever consider buying a monitor that isn’t capable of variable refresh rate.

I don't want the fan to spin. If you think I could get away with a lower wattage and have that, please tell me.

Okay, I'll change to Air. Any suggestions on a specific cooler?
But I feel like I'd be wasting a lot of the potential a Ryzen 7 1700 has, because I'm simply not going to use most of it.
If you tell me what parts I could maybe cheap out on, then I'd definitely change to a 7700k, but I just feel like the i5 7600k is a sweet spot for me.

>I don't want the fan to spin.
Ah, okay. I guess that makes sense.

The 780 Ti is more comparable to a 970 you stupid nigger
anandtech.com/bench/product/1717?vs=1743
I have 2. I was going to sell both them towards a 1080 Ti. Should I wait for Volta?