With all this BSD talk happening on Sup Forums the past few days, I'm curious, what companies use *BSD...

With all this BSD talk happening on Sup Forums the past few days, I'm curious, what companies use *BSD? I see this on the openbsd donations page, but no one ever seems to mention they use *BSD.

Is it really a viable alternative to linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPort_Time_Capsule
netbsd.org/gallery/products.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Supposedly nintendo used some of it to make their 3ds and switch os.

hardware support lags by at least a year on average, less eyeballs means less secure in reality regardless of theoretical advantages like as touted in openbsd

that said, im still a mac/bsdfag and think the future is pretty bright, linux has a lot of problems in the long term im not sure it will be able to deal with

PS4 os was based on freebsd

I thought the openbsd guys did regular audits though. So their security is just marketing?

unpublished audits and again, limited eyeballs
if you're under the impression a secure operating system exists you're kidding yourself

Netflix uses FreeBSD

Yeah, I guess you're right.

Whatsapp too, those are the most famous examples.

PS3, Vita, and PS4 are all FreeBSD based
OS X is FreeBSD based
Apple's Time Machines run NetBSD
Nintendo Switch is FreeBSD based
Netflix, Facebook, and WhatsApp all use FreeBSD
Some ISPs use OpenBSD
Adobe uses OpenBSD for its firewalls
etc.

>Apple's Time Machines run NetBSD
Just looked this up, it's actually the 'Time Capsule' router:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPort_Time_Capsule

That's actually really cool, never expected NetBSD to be used professionally.

Yeah, I always get the two confused. Time Machine is the program OS X uses for backups.

>OS X is FreeBSD based
russianchicken.jpg

Apple likes to copy and paste bsd before they rebrand them. It's odd that they aren't listed as a top donator since all apple os are just a mix of all the bsd ever released.

>OS X is FreeBSD based
Yeah, sure.

It is. It's not like it's just a fork of FreeBSD, but the OS OS X is based on, NeXTSTEP, is 4.3BSD based, and when Apple started developing OS X they updated those 4.3BSD components to FreeBSD ones.

OSX is more netbsd than freebsd.

Ohhh, so like "based on a true story" or "based god emperor" alright maybe I'll believe it.

source?

No, the original Mac OS X Server was NetBSD based, but every one after that was FreeBSD based

No, it's like "OS X is based on FreeBSD because it uses FreeBSD components"

>source
NetBSD, and applel. Web search if you want to find out more.

Yeah, should have done a basic search. I literally never knew that NetBSD was so prominent:
netbsd.org/gallery/products.html

>what companies use *BSD?
Lots of enterprise-grade stuff and appliances use BSDs as their base system. NetApp Data ONTAP and Juniper JUNOS are FreeBSD-based.

>Is it really a viable alternative to linux?
It's stable, robust and lightweight. BSDs are generally licensed using a *very* permissive license, which allows companies to legally modify the source code without having to give anything back.

That's pretty hilarious when you see heavy incompatibility with freebsd. Few drivers don't make an os.

Most of the command line utils come from netbsd and openbsd