There are "programmers" on Sup Forums who don't know category theory or lambda calculus

>there are "programmers" on Sup Forums who don't know category theory or lambda calculus

>category theory or lambda calculus
Not programming.
ASM & C is programming, everything else is bloat, sugarcoating and memes.

I'm a NEET.
It's k, but it also isn't k.

Category theory is literally the most dull field of math ever

>Its a I just learned something now I'll go on Sup Forums an act superior episode

>there are fat assholes on Sup Forums that think they are programmers because they do stupid shit on javascript

>category theory or lambda calculus

yeah, all these fields that failed to become actual mathematical fields, so lets associate them with programming, that way they seem legit and important.

>he uses OOP
never gonna make it

I'm no programmer
hell, I only go to consumer electronic threads and other things I have limited knowledge in
am I allowed here?
of course I am
I know you're all kind :)

>he uses OOP
How did you come to that conclusions.
Also, spoiler alert, no I don't.

>thinks you can "just learn" category theory
seems like we have a winner

>they don't use oop
Are you trying so hard to be cool and unique that you're literally tossing one of the single most effective programming paradigms out there?
Are you so shoved up your own procedural asshole that you LITERALLY can't think any other way than what is essentially a glorified checklist?
How do you function in everyday life? Do you have a handler that makes sure you don't shit yourself in public?
There is absolutely no reason to not use OOP.
>takes longer to compile
Worth being able to make incredibly efficient, readable, and powerful software with it.
>it's too complex
A brainlet like you would say that.

The only way I could see OOP being hard is if you were a mathlet, which I am not.

I bet you barely passed calc III and linear algebra in your undergrad

We call those "App Programmers" nowadays.

>needing math to type lists of commands into an IDE
Shit programmer confirmed

Where the fuck did I say it was hard?
If anything, OOP makes EVERYTHING easier in literally any field.
Imagine a function that's significantly more dynamic, AND the objects are in their own files for ease of access and readability.

Unless you're programming some shitty web app or blog site you're going to AT LEAST need high school algebra under your belt.

No you don't

>not needing math to write your code
shit programmer confirmed
it's almost as if you _want_ buggy spaghetti code

>Are you trying so hard to be cool and unique that you're literally tossing one of the single most effective programming paradigms out there?
No, I just don't like OOP.
It promises reusable code and performance, but delivers on neither.

>he's implying oop is italian red sauce and noodles
If I had a whole year to make a presentation explaining what's wrong with that statement I couldn't list half of the reasons why.

>objects aren't reusable
>objects don't enhance performance
What did he mean by this?

>What did he mean by this?
That OOP is literal snake oil.

>brags about some trivial shit yet he cant write a function that returns the sum of all primes larger than 2 million
lmao fucking brainlets I swear

All I've been hearing is baseless slander.
Anyone who talks shit about OOP is either a hipster or brainlet.

>he thinks he's hot shit for solving the first 3 project euler problems

>Anyone who talks shit about OOP is either a hipster or brainlet.
Or, wanna think about data the way the processor does, not in some abstract black magic "follow all of these arbitrary rules and you will be ok" way.
But then again, presenting data in the way it's expected to be presented is hipster shit, I guess.

If we thought about data the way a processor does all computers would be blinking on or off lights.
All languages are a means of a abstraction for the sake of human readability.
You're literally stuck at the torch while we're using steam engines.

the fact that youre browsing the shithole named Sup Forums proves that youre not very smart either. welcome to the normie coders.

>All languages are a means of a abstraction for the sake of human readability.
And the more they abstract the slower and more tedious they become.
>You're literally stuck at the torch while we're using steam engines.
My torch is versatile, it can light the fire that powers your steam engine, while your steam engine, can only run itself.

this
I don't come here for quality, I come here to shitpost

>the fact that youre browsing the shithole named Sup Forums proves that youre not very smart either
You do realize this applies to yourself as well?

of course. at least im not pretending to be a special snowflake hacker.

at least

post code
ill wait

>the more abstract the slower and tedious they become
I think slow and tedious comes from have to read through everything in order to get just the one thing you need. Versus being able to just go straight to an object that has the methods and data I need.
>my torch is versatile, it can light the fire that powers your steam engine
>while your steam engine can only run itself
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of engineering principles.
The steam engine is a """technically""" more complex mode of transportation, but its benefits outweigh the complexity.
Ie, OOP.

>>objects aren't reusable
most objects have shit implementations; you go to re-use them, you end up with anything but what the object was. In which case - what was the point of re-using it, when you had to rewrite it?
>objects don't enhance performance
of course it doesn't, that abstraction you're using comes at a cost, and the cost is speed. Just as some things are "good enough" to use, OOP is just "fast enough" to use. Assembly code will basically open a can o'whoop ass any day of the week by comparison.

tl;dr OOP is ok, but it's not fucking God's gift to programming, it is simply one paradigm of several you can use

There are no programmers on Sup Forums, you just proved you aren't one with this post.

Category Theory and Programming Language Theory are not really a part of the core curriculum of most university computer science programs. They may be offered as electives, but almost never as required classes. They are also not popular as electives, especially when compared to the alternatives (artificial intelligence, security, computer graphics, web programming, etc...), which have better job prospects. As such, you can generally expect that if you are in a crowd of programmers and start talking about monads, almost no one will know what the hell you're talking about.

>You have a fundamental misunderstanding of engineering principles.
No I just don't buy the "OOP is the end all be all of programming, because some jew told me so" story.

thank you for being reasonable, so many weeaboos on this board continuously trigger me with their unfounded stigmatization of OOP

>well, yeah, you're programming but you're not actually programming

That's basically what I've been arguing.
That it's fucking useful and not total garbage.
Obviously, yeah, it's not gonna solve EVERY problem, but it solves a lot and has its place in programming.
I'm just sick of hipsters and Sup Forumsentoomen refusing to use anything new or not non-mainstream.

Never said that, just said it was incredibly fucking useful, and you're an idiot for not using it.

>Tfw b.s. in comp sci and couldn't even do fizz buzz right now if asked
>Tfw make good money doing what I love
>Tfw get to wear pajamas to work every day
>Tfw some of my code is used in the diploma memes
>Tfw Sup Forums made fun of me when I asked for help on homework

Who's laughing now?

Us.
Go make a company why work for someone else and make them rich?

that would be me
never went to college

>why work for someone else

Too late, I owe the Navy 8 years.

>just said it was incredibly fucking useful
its not

It is though, just because you are a brainlet and can't utilize the paradigm properly doesn't mean there aren't others out there that can.

>brainlet
I love this meme, when you don't have an argument, just call someone brainlet and you automatically win the argument, OOP in a nutshell.

sorry I should've just called you a drooling retard, probably would've gotten the point across better.

>I'm too retarded too handle the state

:(

i want to learn

>I'm just sick of hipsters and Sup Forumsentoomen refusing to use anything new or not non-mainstream.
OOP is a fairly dominate paradigm right now.

Have you tried some retro stuff like stack languages? A little forth won't hurt, I promise.

>putting some advanced math and λ-calculus in the same box

>should've just called you a drooling retard,
there you go again, providing 0 arguments, beyond name calling.

dominant*

I lost my login a while ago. that prime number example is something that could be done after an introductory programming course

> there are zero Haskell, Ocaml, F# or Clojure programmers on Sup Forums that have ever had a job

there are plenty of elm developers on Sup Forums who make $100k/yr

Modern category theory doesn't even line up with how things are defined in Haskell.

> plenty

[citation needed]

too tired to give two fucks right now, but thanks.

Calc 3 sucks man fuck Stoke's theorem and whatever.

I prefer brainlet.

I use BASIC languages and scripting only

Fuck your lower level shit, I don't care about it. I am glad you like it, but for my needs all I need are GUIs for shit.

This is the problem with this field. Autists want everyone to learn ALL the high level maths, while being managed by some bro that got to go casual on some bunk business degree getting paid more than you.

Ah I make 72k and make video games for a living, and idk wtf that stuff is.

>feels good man

>there are people in this very thread that haven't read SICP

>he doesn't program in cuneiform

daily reminder some people never develop dreams and drop out of high school

neither do you, you just know how to say the words you read on twitter.