I haven't really used Firefox since FF4. Is it good again?

I haven't really used Firefox since FF4. Is it good again?

Stable, Nightly, or Waterfox?

What are Sup Forums approved addons/extensions?

Other urls found in this thread:

filterlists.com/
xuhaiyang1234.gitlab.io/AAK-Cont/)
github.com/pyllyukko/user.js/blob/master/user.js
github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js/blob/master/user.js
theverge.com/2017/6/14/15802102/firefox-54-update-faster-less-memory
wiki.mozilla.org/Quantum
wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Is it good again?
not yet. come back in a year or at least in november

Firefox is worse now than ever.

vivaldi

it's shit, it's just less shit than your other options, most of which are just chrome reskins

It's SJW shit.

P A L E M O O N

In November, when the plugin system (read: literally the only reason to use Firefox) is gimped forever?

That's not SJW shit.

>meme browser
>written by a furfag
>slower updating than even mainline firefox = insecure
>autist design choices

Use Icecat or Seamonkey.

Do you know if Icecat for Mac will be updated beyond 38.8.0?

no, in november when the partially debloated and partially speeded up version gets released in stable channel

>Is it good again?

It's worse than ever lol.

Waterfox will have separate versions going forward. Big reason to use it.

Pale Moon is the only FF based browser worth using anymore.

>firesjw
>2017

why is chrome the only good browser?

Nightly all the way

I am a filthy macfag, and I used Firefocks for years. Occasionally uses too much RAM, but iz gud. NON-privacy/safety addond that are good are YT Video & Audio Downloader. It is THE best YT video/audio downloader available, since it can detect all the video/audio versions available, and combines those into a single video with sound. Or just lets you only get the sound.

unjewgled chromium...or just continue supporting the Google until it gets too big to fail

why not.
you are supporting google right now by doing captcas so what are you even trying to say?

its nice

Is icecat actually any different from firefox or is it the exact same except for no proprietary logos + librejs? Like is there a difference in performance at all?

Comparing it to FF4 it's a heck of a lot better at memory management (this is coming from someone who actually uses the browser for long ass periods of time).

No. It's a meme

Icecat is firefox 52ESR but without botnet in deep, obfuscates the user agent and other tags that normally other browsers don't do, if you want privacy go for it, with ublock and privacy badger is the best, the only problem is how handles ram but this is more cuckzilla problem

No, its not a meme

I just use Nightly.

Did you actually look into it ? Because I'm really interested on using it but what are the differences between IceCat and Firefox Nightly for example ? Privacy tweaks (like about:config) are already done on IceCat ?

I recently came back after almost a decade of using chrome, I finally got 16GB RAM and felt like using them

FF beta

USE ICECAT

WHY
answer me please

Because muh freedoms

Of course but HOW it is less botnet than google chrome or original firefox ? WHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT ICECAT

Nothing

Go with Nightly, it's fast as fuck (regular Firefox will be as well eventually but Nightly is a few weeks ahead). I can't really find any website that doesn't load in less than a second, except for of course the ones where my connection speed would be the bottleneck.

For addons I recommend

>uBlock Origin
Will take care of 99% of all ads and trackers. You can find more filter lists at filterlists.com/ but default ones should be good enough, just enable whichever ones you feel are necessary.

>Decentraleyes
Decreases CDN botnet.

>CanvasBlocker
Spoofs the canvas fingerprint, which is highly unique and can be used to track you. You'll probably be fine without this if using uBlock Origin but it doesn't really use any resources so might as well use it.

>Google search link fix
If you use Google it will "clean" the links from tracking parameters.

>Greasemonkey
Allows you to use userscripts. Anti-Adblock Killer Continued (xuhaiyang1234.gitlab.io/AAK-Cont/) is a script which will help bypass certain scripts that block access to websites if you use an adblocker. I also recommend Sup Forums X for improving your Sup Forums experience, as well as Oneechan or Stylechan for ricing.

>HTTPS Everywhere or Smart HTTPS
Makes sure HTTPS is used when possible. Smart HTTPS might be slightly better.

>uMatrix
Uses a matrix interface to allow or deny individual domains from:
>reading cookies
>fetching css files
>fetching images
>fetching media resources
>executing scripts
>using xhr
>using frames
>other (not sure what this covers)

If set to a default blacklist mode uMatrix will basically catch everything that uBlock Origin misses since it relies on a rule set in order to block items.

You can also fiddle some with about:config entries if you feel like it.
github.com/pyllyukko/user.js/blob/master/user.js
github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js/blob/master/user.js

> What are Sup Forums approved addons/extensions?

HTTPS Everywhere, NoScript & uBlock Origin

This is the type of information that we need. Thank you.

>NoScript
Is there any reason people still recommend noscript over umatrix? To me umatrix is miles ahead on both functionality and usability.

>regular Firefox will be as well eventually but Nightly is a few weeks ahead

How exactly will Firefox suddenly be faster in a couple weeks? Is there an update coming that will enhance performance?

Yes.
54 is faster, 55-56 will be even faster
theverge.com/2017/6/14/15802102/firefox-54-update-faster-less-memory

Well, I tried the new servo CSS rendering/stylo with multiprocess in nightly, and I have to admit it has better perf than it had for years (compared to webkit/blink based browsers). But it's still not as fast as competition. And the experimental webrender is far from being ready. Firefox is still behind the competition. If only they got their shit together and made it fast, it would be great for everybody.

On Xubuntu 16.04 right now. Using Firefox 54. I thought it felt faster.

When does Firefox 55 come out?

They're working on project quantum and pieces of it is gradually being implemented into the code. The improvements are first added in nightly, then in beta and finally in release.
wiki.mozilla.org/Quantum

August 8. You can see future release dates for major versions here.
wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar

Nice. Too bad there's not a changelog of added/removed/improved features in the wiki.

Can Quantum DCOM and compositor be enabled in current nightly builds?
They're very slow implementing these techs. How long has servo been in development now? A couple of years?

Not really, no. From experience uMatrix also performed much better when I switched (although it might be because I had so many rules for NoScript whereas with uMatrix I decided to go with a clean start) and this is just personal preference but I like the UI of uMatrix better. Unlike NoScript you can also allow e.g google.com to only run scripts on specific domains but with NoScript it would be allowed to execute scripts on every website.

>Can Quantum DCOM and compositor be enabled in current nightly builds?
No, only Quantum CSS (Stylo) and WebRender has been added so far. Quantum CSS works really great and I haven't noticed any bugs lately (there were some minor annoyances early on and it would fuck up layout of some websites) so it's pretty much ready for release.
Webrender does sort of work but it's extremely slow (guessing it runs in debugging mode or something) and should only be enabled if you're an actual developer working on it.

>They're very slow implementing these techs. How long has servo been in development now? A couple of years?
Yes, but it was only until last year they started porting the components of Servo to Gecko. I notice a major difference between Firefox today compared to a year ago.

It comes with snakeoil to make you feel better about yourself.

Try qupzilla

Firefox Developer

Thanks mate

Is there a viable uMatrix like available on android ?

who cares?

No, don't think so. You could try installing it on Android, I think it works just that it'll open the UI in a separate tab similar to how uBlock Origin does. Less user friendly and more time consuming but then websites only need to be configured once.

Since this thread exists, I might as well ask. Is it okay to use Firefox Sync and Pocket or are those two serious privacy and security risks?

What about Violentmonkey instead of Greasemonkey? From what I heard Greasemonkey is probably going to be deprecated, while Violentmonkey is already WebExtension compatible. I switched recently and don't notice much of a difference.

blyaaaaaaat

i just stay away from them. i read everything as i see the article and i don't save it for later reading unless i really have to, and then i wouldn't use Pocket

Full screen function -- press F11.

H264ify