/pcbg/ PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/j8CjVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/BZDBnn
pcpartpicker.com/list/8xKYFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/hjMRPs
pcpartpicker.com/list/cvMRPs
pcpartpicker.com/list/b9g2cc
pcpartpicker.com/list/3XDBnn
pcpartpicker.com/list/MDDBnn
pcpartpicker.com/user/foxhunt/saved/hWnWZL
pcpartpicker.com/b/tqD8TW
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

vega will be $800 i can feel it
nothing good happens these days

>believing memes on an anime imageboard

Router question. I couldn't find anything in the wiki regarding this.

Can anyone recommend an 8 (at least) port gigabit or higher router that can be flashed with Tomato or other custom firmware?

>R3 1200 - Budget builds (

pcpartpicker.com/list/j8CjVY
Thoughts?

Did they ever come up with a fix for the segfaults on ryzen yet?

>expensive beautiful case on the table
>cheap Ugly case under the table
Which one?

the beautiful case.

pcpartpicker.com/list/BZDBnn

How we looking lads.

go away

If you can afford 10 bucks you can get the G4600. Otherwise that is a good build.

will you come with me bb

Get the Evga W1 500 instead of the antec psu

*tips*

recommend me a one?

feel bad for anyone building a pc at this time..

GPUs and Flash memory are in shortages, ya'll are fucked

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Pick one that isn't a budget case (so anything $50+) that you like the look of and don't think you'll tire of for years.

Will GPUs ever return to their original prices

No

Hows it looking guys ?
pcpartpicker.com/list/8xKYFd

>tfw the linux compiling meme after getting a 1600

You can afford a seasonic PSU

what's the white man's graphics card

Unless you're aiming for a strivt 144 fps in gaming and have a monitor to match, you'd be better off with a Ryzen chip.

gtx 1070.

like shit

I'm unironically thinking of buying this PC, talk some sense into me anons. I'm a heavy gaymer so Poozen is out of the question. I already have the ssd and the PSU from my old build.

pcpartpicker.com/list/hjMRPs

>1000W PSU
No

>I'm a heavy gaymer
>7820X
but those are worse in gaming than Ryzen. Ryzen is only a few percentage points worse than a 7700K which is still the best for gaming.

LMFAO

>heavy gaymer so Poozen is out of the question
Wait for 2000$ 18 core Intel so that you can get those sweet coars without sacrificing any single core performance.

If you're going AIO Liquid cooling, go 280mm or go home.

All the test and the people I've talked to told me 7820x is slightly better in gaming. It has higher IPC and freq. You need to heavily OC a 1700 to get similar fps to a stock 7820x.

Obviously 7700k is king but I'm not going to buy a corelet CPU.

No need, 8c/16t is plenty for me.

>Buying intel at twice the price, same multicore performance
>Falling for GAYMING motherboard meme
>1000W lowest tier 80+ certification
Are you going to upgrade to 4 graphics cards, or do you just like to fill up the space in your case?
>Cheap HDD, Cheap PSU
These are the only 2 parts than actually break and the PSU can even kill other components.
>32 gb ram for gayming
Are you going to be gaming in a virtual machine?
You still can't fit gta 5 on a ramdisk.

>wtf is sacrasm?
8c/16t is plenty for gaming so why would you go above 4c/8t? You are basically throwing money in a pond.

pcpartpicker.com/list/cvMRPs

Please rate. I already have a 144Hz monitor, case and SSDs.

You look like the kind of guy that can afford a ASUS strix or EVGA 1080ti.

>the people I've talked to told me
Why the fuck are you asking Sup Forums if you already got an expert opinion. Your expert opinion is sure to be better than any Sup Forums troll.
>You need to heavily OC a 1700
Being this tech illitterate

spend more on the motherboard.

>being left handed

Almost 100 EUR difference here in yurop.

Any suggestions?

I don't care about CPU price I want the best gayming performance per core and that's Intel. Would have went with 7700k if it would have had at least 6 cores.

Didn't fall for GAYMING mobo, went with that one because the other ASUS boards have shitty Realtek audio chip while the STRIX one has Supreme FX audio

I already have the PSU from my old build, I took it to an electrician who checked inside and gave the OK. I'm not gonna throw it away if it works, get real dude. Certifications are a meme.

HDD I need a big one for storage, any recommendations? Don't shill me M.2 trash because I don't fall for memes.

RAM I admit might be overkill, but that's why I asked for advice

any restrictions? You chose an mATX mobo, and most of the ones I have in mind are full ATX

Wow. But yeah. 3 fans vs 2 fans. MSI gaming is really good if you don't want to spend. Your list is good.

Rate it: pcpartpicker.com/list/b9g2cc

WHEN IS THE COST FOR RAM GOING DOWN

My only restriction is that the price is below 120 EUR.

Thanks my man.

Does anyone here have any experience with water-cooling? I would love to try it but I don't know where to begin. EK's Fluid Gaming series seems nice since it has a gpu block. It's also 1/3 the price compared to what EK's configurator said a custom loop would amount too ($250 vs $700). I'm currently using the stock Ryzen cooler

Awesome build. I have the same thing. Why won't my monitor display anything?

I need some for productivity aswell but I'm not willing to sacrifice gayming performance
basically.

Am I not allowed to ask? If you on't want to help don't respond then, easy. So far I've seen zero arguments from you other than dude ryzen.

so vega changed nothing as expected

MSI B350 Tomahawk, Asrock B350 fatality or Asus Prime B350 Plus

pcpartpicker.com/list/3XDBnn

What do you think of this? I have a decent GPU and SSD that I can use.

Cheap case as long as it has decent air flow. Who gives a fuck about aesthetics?

>tfw when got GTX 1080ti i7 7700k pc from old people for 100$
Story
>Neighbors kick away their son for some reason (i think it's mostly because they knew he sells drugs)
>Next day they are throwing his stuff
>See him struggling with a pc
>Go outside to help him
>Ask him if he needs help
>"Yes, thanks. i am clearing my son's room since he moved out"
>Help him.
>Leave pc to the end
>Finally finished
>Ask him to buy the pc and He agrees
>"How much do you want for it"
>"100$"
>Ok give him money and go back home
>Check pc specs
>Start jumping around like an autist

Holy fuck
Are you gonna keep it? Sell it as a whole? Take it apart and sell parts?

I am keeping it. I don't want to go back to my shitty i3 pc

he's probably gonna run crysis on it

their son will be back.
He'll find you.

That's why i am searching for a new house. I don't own the house that i am living in now so it's not a problem for me

>I don't care about CPU price I want the best gayming performance per core and that's Intel. Would have went with 7700k if it would have had at least 6 cores.
Then buy 2 pcs and get the 7700k and a 18 core Intel or 2 32 core EPYCs. Why is it so hard to think critically about your own arguments?
>shitty Realtek audio chip
Get a DAC and a cheaper mobo then.
>Falling for "Master general of master generals supreme HIFI HD definition FX audio" marketing
>A hdd for storage
You would probably want to get multiple HDD in some redundant raid if it is for storage.

>Am I not allowed to ask? If you on't want to help don't respond then, easy. So far I've seen zero arguments from you other than dude ryzen.
>Commiting a fallacy
>Defends the fallacy
>This authority who I won't name says this therefore I am right.

>must choose case now my son
>fine craft box designed for option flow or air to components to keep house free from fire
>or
>bangladeshi sweatbox with no logical thought into having additional components
>...

Which 1080 ti do you think is the best?

Ok I get it now, you're autistic, have fun shitposting, kids

>must choose case now my son
>A beautiful case that you can put on your desk confidently that has a higher value if wanted to sell later and you can add to it a beautiful water-cooling that has lower temps and better overclocking
>or
>a ugly case that you hide under the table so no one can see it with a lot lower value if wanted to sell pc later

>you are autistic
>Look at this cool gif i have

Have fun gaming adult.

looks okay but
>cheaper motherboard, $60 - $70 is the sweet spot
>cheaper ram, that cpu can't even utilize that ram at full speed, get 2133mhz
>cheaper ssd

pcpartpicker.com/list/MDDBnn

All 1080ti variants perform within 5% difference of each other and even then the difference is due to the silicon and not the variants. So the only difference you are paying for is for the cooler, fans and features.

EVGA and Asus one runs the coolest and quietest according to benchmarks. Which is no surprise since their coolers are big as fuck and have triple fan.

Outside of these more premium brands, MSI gaming X and the Gigabyte Aorus is the best

I been trying for over two hours to line up my motherboard with the standoffs on my case and it wont line up once I insert the IO ports to the IO shield, any help?

what motherboard and what case? post pics

The case is the NZXT H230 and the motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3

those seem to be compatible, post pics

Post pictures?
Did you use a little bit of force?

I just tried using a bit of force and so far 4 of the 6 holes went through so I'm guessing it worked

where are the other 2 standoffs

Yeah you have to use a little force with the standoffs. They won't fit in nicely otherwise

Why not just get a superior mac?

Doing them now but they are kinda hard since they are close to the wall of the case
That does seem to be the case

>mac
>superior
pick one. You overpay for inferior equipment they refuse to fix WHEN it breaks in order for force you to buy more expensive shit.
Windows and Linux are used to run the Hadron collider.
Macs are used to fill landfills.

What motherboard is recommended? I just bought a tempered glass corsair case so I want something that looks nice. My other specs if you need them: msi armor oc 1080 gtx, i5 7600k with a stock intel cooler, 2x8gb ram - generic ones with no weird cases. I think I'm using an m.2 ssd? It lies flat on my current motherboard. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Why do you need to upgrade your motherboard?

Because my current one is kinda ugly and wouldn't do the case justice. Vain reason I know.

Ryzen 1700 or i7 4790K?

depends on your needs.
if just gaymin go for the 4790k because it's cheaper and slightly better single core. if doing anything more dependent on more threads then go for 1700 and oc it to 3.8 - 4.1ghz.

What if I need both virtualization and gayming?

go for the 1700 my man. what gpu will you be pairing it with?

pcpartpicker.com/user/foxhunt/saved/hWnWZL thoughts ?

With a GTX 980 Ti.

pretty good actually, maybe consider a cheaper ssd or wait for a sale

2x4GB RAM would be better unless you're planning to upgrade to 16GB soon-ish. The 750 EVO isn't really very good, especially when you can get 850 EVO for less money.

I've been building on mine for the last 4 years straight, I just dropped 60 bucks on a Corsair pc lighting kit. I have issues.

actually think I might change the mobo to Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0)

Here is my current build. Been tweaking on it forever. Kinda wish I hate waited another generation for my cpu/mobo just to get the most outta m2 speeds, but ah well. Will prolly do a rebuild sooner or later anyway.

pcpartpicker.com/b/tqD8TW

can you fit 1080ti and a 240mm water cooler in a mATX case?