Why are all of these young kids wanting graphical programming languages with the mouse instead of text with the...

Why are all of these young kids wanting graphical programming languages with the mouse instead of text with the keyboard?

Other urls found in this thread:

llamalab.com/automate/
developers.google.com/blockly/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because they want to code it on their mobile phones.

They don't. It's a meme pushed by retards

"Let's learn Scratch!" generation

Because that's what's pushed on them and they are kids, they'll get into real programming languages at some point

what do graphical programming languages mean? css/html?

it means educational purposed stuff where you make simple programs by drag and dropping boxes on a gui

dubs and
trips of truth

Look at me, I am a programmer!

so programmes, not languages

I actually taught elementary school kids with scratch.
It's great for teaching children the concepts of logical thinking and problem solving needed for programming without having them learn the syntax and "vocabulary" of a real programming language. They actually made some pretty good games using scratch, considering they were only 4th graders.
So yeah, scratch is great for children, you shouldn't teach high school/college kids with it though.

That's actually a pretty cool program.
What did you make that with?

llamalab.com/automate/

Are there some ways to actually program on a phone tho?

developers.google.com/blockly/

Thanks dude

you're doing god's work

I teach programming to primary and middle school aged kids. Honestly the best way to keep them interested in to do things with making games and other things with graphics. All of the kids start with scratch because it's easy to start with and then they get moved up. Here we actually teach them programming, still with games but with real skills for their age. For example to learn about arrays we make tick tack toe. We also make a calculator to learn all about functions. Most of them are simply to young and more to quickly for "real" programming and those that are mature enough begun using Java or c++.

Thank you my man

Real programming requires a lot of abstract thinking that children, hell, most of adults can't handle.

I'm not a programmer by this looks like an improvement over the current system.

It's extremely unflexible.

Shouldn't it loop back to the block where you get the location instead of just checking the location? Otherwise it's just going to always fail/succeed depending on what the location was when it first got the current location.

The idea of graphical programming is as old as the microcomputer itself, it's not a new thing at all. The point of things like Scratch isn't to replace real programming languages, it's to teach people the core concepts of programming such as boolean logic, loops, etc in a way that is intuitive to humans (especially children). If you use a real language to teach someone these things then they also have to learn the syntax of the language too as well as any language-specific quirks. It is best to learn about the fundamental programming concepts outside of a programming language.