/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: #
/t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: #

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

rbt.asia/g/search/text/arch "that's normal"/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Patching
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for debian and golang

what's the white man's distro?

Windows 10

Fourth for Arch

First for
Busybox
musl c
llvm
clang

I just did a full disk encrypted install of arch using LVM on LUKS. Everything is working fine but whenever I plug in external storage it mounts it as read only. Is this happening because of the encryption or is it something else?

Setup a udev rule or setup the drive in fstab

my wifi is from tp-link who do I figure the real name of the device using a command line?

>Slackware is too difficult for a beginner, install Debian
So what makes Debian any better? I have been trying to teach myself unix, so I'm not a complete retard. However gnome is still a mystery to me

You mean a tp-link wifi dongle? For the network device name your system is using try `ip addr` and look for the interface with an IP on it. If you mean the model name of the dongle try `lsusb` and look through there for it, although it might just say the chipset which is probably an atheros one.

lshw, lspci

>golang
>google programming

it's a pci-e card.
so lspci? how do I download the driver using command ? thanks

You have the driver installed already. Have you actually tried using it? Does it request firmware from udev that you don't have? Install the relevant manufacture's firmware from you operating systems package manager.

How many bytes is a megabyte?

debian is botnet
Ubuntu is least bad since they removed adware/spyware in 16.04

STOP
SHITPOSTING

I downloaded a kernel with non-free software removed i wanted to install the driver by myself from debian rep but I need to figure it out how to do it

bout tree fiddy

1024*1024 = 1 MiB
1024*1000 = 1 MB

Can I have a clear answer please?

I stopped using a computer 2 years ago because every Linux distro is shit and windows is Botnet

Is Linux good yet or should I just keep using my superior phone / tablet combo running based AOSP

Linux has been good for decades

Install Debian GNU/Linux

new to linux - how do I save the config file or settings/installed packages so I can automatically run it next time i clean install or use another machine and save me a bunch of time and tinkering?

You copy them over.simple

dumb phone poster

Why is arch looked down here? I'm new and Arch forums and wiki has been so much help and so kind to get my system up and running.

Salix, Devuan, Parabola and Chakra are pretty good

dumb question answer

because the packages aren't reliable and stable and it may break your system

MB * 8192 [converts MB to kilobits]

People who cant use arch,becuse of some mental block or just retardation on configuration, are the loudest group of people that complain about arch, but will use their wiki for their problems.

There is nothing wrong with arch.
"BUT BUT BUT BREAKING"
Things break when users dont update their configs to replicate new/removed features when the system is updated.

The wiki is the only good thing about Arch.

>reliable
>stable
Arch gets its packages DIRECTLY from upstream.Meaning the developers of said programs,who decided an update was needed.

I see FAR MORE people posting about apt systems breaking their system then i ever see about arch breaking

I have heard a lot of stories of Arch breaking on its self on here. I've haven't been using it for long to experience this but is this still true? How do I prevent this?

Its completely false

>How do I prevent this?
install only trusted packages and don't update your system often

Happens a lot.
Stop shitposting.

My arch install is 9 years old.
It has never "broken".

When major user configurable issues arise it is posted on the front page news BEFORE they push it

>don't update your system often
Arch users everyone.

I don't really want to add a usb stick to fstab everytime I plug one in, is there any other work arounds? Why is the encryption fucking with the external storage mounting?

>still true.
It was never true to begin with.

>why is the encryption fucking with the external storage mounting?

It isnt.Encryption has NOTHING to do with mounting drives
Your udev rules arent setup properly

>don't update your system often
that's actually how you break arch, retard

>Friendly linux
But not him, how does it break it?

Jesus Fucking Christ. The wifi modules are free, hence why the firmware is split into different packages at all. Fuck it, if you are to retarded to figure out if you even need the firmware or not, let alone which chipset you device has, just install all if it.
sudo apt install firmware-\*

rbt.asia/g/search/text/arch "that's normal"/

quite the opposite

Depends what distro you are using what programs you have installed and what stuff you want to save.

>sudo apt
*get

>stable
>DIRECTLY from upstream
You mean upstream authors that don't give a shit about working with arch and all the other packages? Distros have seperate maintainers for a reason.

It's apt now.

>tfw escaping your depression by shitposting in /fglt/
feels good

Certain programs need certain versions of other programs to work properly.
Sometimes you need to manually do something(systemd) to update your system.
If you're behind 20 revisions on everything shit may not work properly when you update if you didnt take the time to set it up correctly

Where can I put a file if I want to be able to open it directly from the terminal despite the directory I'm in?

Or, rather, I think there's this thing about configuring environments that allows us to say what folders are "global" or something like this.

Arch gets VANILLA packages from UPSTREAM. Arch dosent patch shit in,what UPSTREAM releases is what is used.
All that is changed is setting it up a PKGBUILD for the package.

>Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.
I've been thinking about making a GNU/Linux distro. I could go Debian, but a Debian-based distro has been done by everyone and their mother; plus I don't really want to make "just another shitty debian derivative". I looked at OpenSUSE's YaST and while it looked the easiest, it seems neglected. I imagine there should be some tools to help with creating a derivative that's done somewhat properly, KISS and all that, rather than me distributing some shitty virtual machine image that everyone else could only log into with the username that I set once.

What I'm looking for is something
>stable
>good hardware support without modifications
>low bloat
>not too prohibitive for me to strip bundled software out of and replace
>will get out of the way on updates and let me get out of the way.
>will get some packages from my server, but otherwise use base distro's default (ie. Salix or whatever I choose as base)
Preferably not too much maintainence on my side. Although when it updates, I would still like it to:
>request (from my server) and show a message/prompt if necessary before letting the like 2 users who might actually use this upgrade
>request list (from my server) of packages to skip upgrades for (from base distro's server) and obey it, but allow overriding from the user end

So I'm considering something Slackware-based, but not directly. I looked at Salix, Zenwalk, Slackel, and Vector. I don't know what's best for me really. I don't have much experience with anything Slackware-based, although I tried Slackware itself for a month.

Fuck off and get meds.

how do I log irssi chats?
how do I save the current session in a file?

Its called $PATH
Somewhere in your path.
Normally ~/bin

install gentoo

>open it
With what? There is PATH for executables and CDPATH for cd, other than that just make an alias.

don't those animes get dizzy inside a dish washer?

Idk man, you don't seem to use Arch. If you would, you would know that Arch maintainers indeed patch packages (like all good distros).

It would be pretty silly to use a distro which actually only uses upstream packages; what if there's a security flaw? Do you want to wait till the developer gets his ass up to fix it, or do you want to have it fixed by the security team immediately?

tl;dr your "UPSTREAM UPSTREAM UPSTREAM" is a meme

you know, type "vim" in the terminal and it opens vim. you type "gimp" in the terminal and it opens gimp. I want to be able to type the name of a certain file in the terminal without having to specify the directory it is in.

>Do you want to wait till the developer gets his ass up to fix it,
Yes,this is how arch works

it is an executable, to note.

Regarding hardware compatibility, I know with many packages you can make performance optimizations during compilation that will work best/only on your system. Using a Slackware derivative that already runs equally well on many different machines means less thing I could fuck up, one less low-level thing to worry . I probably don't know better than one of the more polished derivatives about compatibility so I would prefer to just piggyback off of their efforts.

also general question. how hard is it to compile a package /once/ that work well on multiple systems? with the scale of supported systems being the same scale as like the average distro? I'm not really looking for the speed advantages of compiling from source like gentoo has/is memed about, just something to make a stable binary from that will work on various different computers to the scale of a major distro' s support.

I'm not expecting to make a real competitor distro, but I figure using Slackware (or something even further down) as a base should help me meet a lot of my goals, and meet them properly.

TL;DR: Making a distro. Slackware-based? Salix?

>troll posting

>now
?
no more apt-get? when?

apt-get is still there, for compatibility

Shit, and I learn this just now. Thanks for the tip.

apt without -get is pointless
I seriously hope canonical didn't change this and you are trolling

"Sudo get''
this is literally /r/ tier

Why does everyone here seem to shit on gnome, or at least favor other DE's? I'm guessing they just like to jerk off to eyecandy bullshit. Is there anything actually wrong with gnome? shits been around since 96'.

Because i dont use 99.999% of the programs that come with the suite.
It is bloated as fuck

Since apt 2.0. apt-* are still there, apt is just supposed to be a unified interface to all the stuff that the individual binaries do. It still doesn't support quite all of the features of the other ones though, like showpkg.

slow and sponsored by google/red hat

filepicker_meme.png

I think that depends on the distro, right? I mean, gnome doesn't seem bloated in fedora workstation, for instance.

i can see you're prolly critical of enterprise distros but mane some of us use that shit to make a living

Gnome is gnome is gnome on every distro.
The base install is the same

>Many package managers have their commands neatly packed in one single command with options enabling different actions
>Somehow it's wrong that apt-get became apt

>"""""enterprise distros"""""

I think you're confused, some distros don't ship with the entire gbome suite

yeah like RHEL and CentOS

>Many package managers have their commands neatly packed in one single command
source?
Still, apt without -get is shit I hope the degenerates at canonical bankrupt
They are destroying linux

>yeah like RHEL and CentOS
memes for stupid people

stop shitposting

why are you arguing about this? i work in fucking data centers, i'm talking about enterprise linux. fucking memers. i just wanted to know why people hate on gnome DE here that's all

People liked GNOME2. People don't like GNOME3 (for the look/feel and for the programs).

I personally can't stand OSX/macOS clone shit, primarily because I don't understand why people think Apple is the king of aesthetics. It's not that attractive, and 99% of the time, you sacrifice usability for lame shit.

That's just my opinion, but if we're talking Linux people, then I can't imagine I'm alone in preferring usability and function over anything else.

GNU/Linux*

dont make my bust out my last FSF mailer

Who's the cutest GNU/Linux mascot? For me, it's gotta be Freedo!

>it just showered and is clean from any blobs

people who fall for the enterprise buzzword (aka redhat memes) remind me of people who pay 1,500k for helvetica typefaces

I'm 100% serious
You don't start to destroy commands like that in the name of ''simplicity''

>canonical
apt is debian country

Legit question, do you have autism or something? I've never heard someone care this much about what amounts to essentially a name change.