Do you think there is room in the market for a 3rd home desktop CPU manufacturer?

Do you think there is room in the market for a 3rd home desktop CPU manufacturer?

of course not. amd exists just intel isnt a monopoly

many people just use phones now as well

Apple has enough power to make it happen. They are control freaks so they might wanna switch to their own CPU's based on ARM. Companies like Adobe might desperately start rewriting their apps for ARM for that reason.

There are some minor - very minor - CPU manufacturers, mostly Chinese, that exist solely to challenge the monopoly of American companies.

You don't hear of them, because they are so insignificant, they barely sell any products.

There are those Russian ones they are trying to push over there for security reasons too.

arent both of them just using ARM derivatives

Russians are using MIPS and SPARC derivatives too bruv.

Yes. There's enough room for competition in the desktop cpu, and gpu right now.

sure, if they offer something actually competitive
but not if they're going to just offer gutless garbage at a bottom of the barrel rate and try to crowd AMD out of its home territory
unless they start licensing OS X to other OEMs again it's not going to do dick, nobody gives a shit what Apple does underneath their shiny gimmicks and design

>rewriting their shit for ARM
It's not the '70s anymore my man, people don't right major pieces of software in assembly anymore. Adobe's no stranger to alternate architectures either, considering their software was 68k-exclusive for quite a time before select pieces were ported to x86, MIPS, SPARC and everything else worth a shit at one point. The architecture is just a buzzword under a million layers of abstraction.

Apple switching to ARM isn't going to make running Photoshop on a Raspberry Pi or Surface RT any easier, just like they weren't flourishing on RS/6000s in the '90s just because they shared the same CPU with Macs, it's all about the platform as a whole.

>people don't right
And apparently I don't write.

No because nobody wants anything worse than AMD for actual computers.

Apple has 10% market share, you think they give a fuck about a gay fashion accessory company run by a literal cock sucker?

Android is a different matter of course. Though rewriting desktop apps for android doesn't seem very profitable desu.

Who the fuck would give a shit about Android in the context of desktop computing, you dumbshit fanboy?

Nope, in any market where demand is greater than supply, duepoly is the most stable market condition.
t. economics minor at uni

People who want to reach a large growing market. But like I said rewriting shit for Android is probably not a good idea. Not because of the hardware fragmentation but because people who use phones and Android in general expect very simple UIs and expect the app to know what they want.

I think in the end desktops will keep losing market share until the only ones who use it are nerds and sysadmins. Shame really, we went from guiding ICBMs to browsing a vast selection of stale and outdated memes with computers.

Yea MOS Technology is coming out with something they've been cooking up for 30yrs, a successor to the Commodore 64 processor, but it'll be under the brand name of GMT Microelectronics, who bought MOS Tech.

How dogshit is the IPC and how many cores would it need to compete with a budget kaby lake pentium from intel?

my very first computer was Cyrix based, pic related.

i believe VIA used to make an x86 cpu that came with some of their mini itx boards but they were totally shit.

VIA still makes x86 CPUs.

Pre-Sorry-Oh

Any ARM SoC with better, wider DRAM controllers and a dozen or two PCIe lanes would make a fine desktop.

Figures only (((patriots))) use x86.

>muh babby lake

China uses MIPS processors too

IBM and PowerPC was legit and dropped the ball. Who knows what could happen with memristor and memory driven computing when Moores law continues to slow down.

yeah we're still looking for someone to bridge the gap between gaming performance and MOAR CORES

End users overwhelmingly don't give a damn. Intel is dominant, but a good portion of that is because they've got name brand recognition. Do people care about AMD? Not really, and not really either way. You just have to hit the magical "does it go fast" heuristic and people are happy.

Look at gaming as a proxy. Gamers generally care much more about PC internals than the average user. Nvidia dominates the market. Intel only hits the charts because its integrated graphics chipsets come standard on so much stuff.

The market for people who care this much about CPUs is a very small subset of the total market. From there, the people who care enough such that a third company will be able to profitably steal business from Intel or AMD is a tiny subset within that already small subset. A third party would have to dramatically outperform the current market on either price or quality in order for it to be a worthwhile business venture.

the only true and viable competitor that can lay waste on both intel and amd if they get serious being invovled on the cpu market is ibm and ibm only

So that's why you can't see anything related to processors without hearing about Ryzen. Because nobody cares.

Would be quite nice to see them do it too. IBM is a sleeping giant in the general consumer world.

i think that ibm is building up their patents so that they can sue everyone at some point in the future

people talks and helps amd (their earning just shows that..) because amd made the market to realise how much of a price gauge intel was doing on all segments...
and the funny part is intel cant do jack shit to fight amd price because intel is locked on a escalation of commitment

Sup Forums could make its own. I'll make the logo, someone download Logisim.

>tfw you will never see a Mill CPU in your lifetime

Yes. With Intel skipping starting to choke a bit, and more and more desire for a more open architecture building, I think we're going to enter another period of diversity in CPU architecture for the PC in the not so far off future. ARM is just waiting to jump in, and POWER is at least somewhere in the picture with those TALOS workstation guys cooking something up that is now available for preorders. We might just see an entirely different arch come about seeing as how we are running into limitations either current technologies.

Of course, Qualcomm is going to be that manufacturer.

Limitations with*