Which phones age worse, Android or iOS?

Which phones age worse, Android or iOS?

Both
Androids quickly stop getting official updates, but the every official updates for iOS slows it down

Nexus 4 working perfectly with lineage OS.

Android is not a phone.

Some phones running Android age great and some suck. Depends on hardware and user.

I prefer Android.

Android. What makes Apple so good in comparaison is that every iPhone you buy never becomes obsolete, thanks to the update support.
Don't even hope of getting improvements or updates on an android device after 6 months. Except if you like bloated pajeet custom roms, that is.

Apple is better on so many levels, you can't imagine how much.

Android?
You mean a modified for mobile proprietary version of GNU + Linux

>every iPhone you buy never becomes obsolete, thanks to the update support
>buy iPhone 6
>iPhone 7 comes out
>iOS update
>iPhone 6 becomes gradually (but quickly) obsolete

My 3 yo LG G3 still running like the first day

iOS:
>Long software support (5 years)
>Small number of overall devices means good support by application developers
>Unbeatable availability of hardware parts and very easy to repair, comes with tons of support online
>Gets somewhat more sluggish with every update
>High resale value

Android:
>Short software support, sometimes not even a single update is provided
>However, third party software is available and easy to install
>Hardware parts are often very hard to come by unless it's one of the more popular devices
>Usually extremely difficult to repair
>Very low resale value

I'd say that point goes to iOS, no question really. Might not be the most important point for people, especially people who buy a new phone every other year for whatever reason.

>resale value
wat

>what is the AOSP

high resale value

which is offset by paying someone to unlock the phone

Unlocking is free, user.

Why would you buy a locked phone

pretty useless without Play Services

Lagrdoid drops support (even Pixel) after ~2 years despite being priced dollar for dollar the same as the itoy. There is also OEM lag for implementing updates for many models. After 2 years you're chasing trash ROMs to get on the latest version

The itoy on the other hand gets longer official lifetime but the updates make the device shittier

Android. no updates, no security, apps are total shit.

Depends on the android phone, some are supported by LineageOS, otherwise you're screwed.

iPhones are supported on stock OS for 4 ish years, _some_ androids can be updated for a longer time with LineageOS

why do you need Google services?
You can use Youtube, Gmail and Maps from a browser.
There's a play services-free Youtube app, and a of free email apps.

iFags out in full force
You gotta try harder than that

nice argument

I wasn't even taking a side there but your disability called fanboyism clearly has delusion as a key symptom

Yeah, if you update the first iPhone, it's not going to run, same with Galaxy 3 updating to Android 7.

What are some must needs for recent updates anyways?

>Buying it locked in the first place

I guess if you're poor and need to do payment plans

wat

What's a non-meme reason I would update my phonr anyways ?
You get me tho, I had my htc m8 updated it as soon as I could, many times. Now it's a piece of junk. My new phone a honor 8 was never updated and it's as great as it was on day one.

>IPhone
>Easy to repair

You won't, mate? They're fucking glued together.

Android doesn't have GNU software

>Android
Install custom ROM - runs better than before. HTC HD2 has Android N ported to it.
>iPhone
You can't even downgrade, lel.

I work in a phone shop and I'm kinda loling at the recent wave of 'Apple picking' so the trick works like this . Customer buys new phone and puts insurance on it. Before the end of the contract they sale their almost 2 year phone for around 1/3 to some teenage shit head. Than they come to the store and raport that the phone was stolen. As a procedure we have to blacklist the old phone and customer receives brand new phone from the insurance. On this stage some people just keep the phone or sale it brand new and put the money towards the new phone. Salesman are happy because they get their KPIs , companies insure the phone for X amount and that amount never depreciates so 2 year old iPhone 5s is still covered for €400 even if the price tag went down to

I could probably get by without, but many apps need them for maps (Underground Weather radar comes to mind)

can you name an android phone that has gotten OTA updates 4 years out without involving custom ROMs? the iPhone 5S will be getting iOS 11.

I had a Samsung Galaxy s4 Google Edition — Google Edition being one of the *many* abortive initiatives Google made to signal long term support and first class status — and its last official update was Lollipop in 2015, about 2 years after it launched and even then something like 6 months after Lollipop officially came out.

Say what you will about the OS being usable or too slow or whatever — but let me make that decision. And since there are substantive security updates that come along with these Android updates, I should at least not have to wait 6 months for an update that'll come anyway. Every minute a vulnerability is known to the public and you're not patched is dangerous.

Why are you so racist?

Android:
>phone supports gets dropped after 1-2 years, even right when the phone is launched like samsung does to its variants
>can use custom roms, but if your phone doesn't any good one that can be use as daily, then tough luck, enjoy your vulnerabilities
iOS:
>phone can get updated even after 5 years of its launch
>apple however will try to make it slower so that you will want to buy the new iphone
>can't downgrade

i doubt that apple is trying to make the phones slower. they're probably just told to prioritize usability on the newer phones.

the outcome is pretty much the same, but arguing that their intent is malicious when empirically it's much more likely just negligence makes critics look paranoid. look up hanlon's razor and apply it more often.

>apple however will try to make it slower
Can this meme die already? The only reason your iphone will be slower is if you have 100 apps running in the background. I have an almost 4 year old 5S and it still doesn't show any signs of "slowness" on the latest ios.

In order worst to best:
Regular Android < iOS < Samsung or Moto Android w/ Lineage OS

/thread
I'd rather remain on Android 4 with sec patches rather than upgrading to a laggy Nougat

This isn't a meme. My brother has been owning an iphone 4s since forever. When the ios 10 came it made everything so fucking slow with all those animations. He only uses facebook, snapchat and spotify.

>every iPhone you buy never becomes obsolete

>snapchat
That's the problem right there. This shit app is written so poorly it literally heats up my phone after 30 seconds of use.

>N
>laggy
What shit are you smoking.

>Usually extremely difficult to repair
Nigga what, unless you have a phone no human being has ever seen before, most android phones are dirt easy to repair, its pretty easy to find parts for most flagships.

I was saying that I'd rather stay on an outdated version thats well optimized rather than upgrading to a less optimized one just for the name. This usually isn't the case with android but it is the case with iOS, sorry if I worded that poorly.

>a 6 year old phone runs like shit on 2017 software

huh...

Android had only one dip in performance so far: 4.4 to 5.0. Otherwise next versions are faster than previous ones. But I get you, on Android you can always downgrade if you don't like something.

microg
i
c
r
o
g

not the guy you're replying to, but the way i see it there's pressure on both platforms.

with apple, the phone becomes progressively sluggish with each update, especially after 2 years. you get updates on day 1 (or within the span of a week), but your user experience diminishes over time.

with android, you generally *can't* get updates after 2 years. some flagship phones last longer, but google's own programs like Google Edition, Nexus, etc... don't seem to be great signals for long term support

if you want to think of them as opposite forms of pressure, that's pretty reasonable, except that the pressure android uses also results in users not getting necessary updates, like patches for the Stagefright bug, which had to go through carriers, resulting in such a prolonged rollout that more than 850 million android devices (way more than half) were still vulnerable a year later.

for a lot of people, security isn't *that* negotiable.

>"just install a custom rom you retard, how hard is to google lineage os?"
>Not working:
- Fingerprint scaner
- Camera
- Video playback in some formats
- App switch button (Uses old layout (Hold home key) will fix soon)
- Bluetooth(Has some issues as of now will look into it)
- Report other bugs/issues in posts

I have no idea how pepole use the tiny-ass screens on old iphones. Using an iphone 5s untill I replace my phone, holy fuck its awful

>Buy me a beer: paypal.me

There isn't. Apple will just fucking bug you every day until you succumb to the update and it'll brick your phone

That's enough reason to buy an iPhone. You get 5 year support cycles with everything working. You don't have to trust alpha quality software like "Lineage" or any shitty Android ROM.

I wish but seeing how locked iphones are isn't enough for me to change my phone. I can do what apple allows me to do, which fucking sucks.

not him, but i'm curious what you do that iPhones don't let you do. is it more important that you can do those things than that you get security updates in a timely manner for more than 3 years?

many phones have a locked bootloader or proprietary drivers that are not compatible with new android versions and cant be fixed because they are closed source.

With android I can:
-customize
-use torrents
-use a file manager
-install any apks
-root that brings a shitton of features like adblocking
-bigger screen
-installing apps that aren't from google play store
-microSD cards
-use bluetooth to transfer files to any phone
-removable battery

That's what you get for buying Samsung.

Install apps outside of app store and develop my own apps for free.

i don't want to do a line by line here, but some of these sound like use cases that are more appropriate for a desktop operating system (e.g. torrenting), and some are just hardware issues and not differences between android and ios (screen size, battery, external memory), so i feel like you're losing focus or just grasping at everything that comes to mind without thinking very critically about my question.

you also didn't answer whether any or all of these things is more important to you than reliably getting timely OTA security updates for more than 2 or 3 years.

there was a second part of my question. you guys are neglecting to answer it for some reason.

>-customize
who cares
>-use torrents
I don't watch chinese cartoons
>-use a file manager
not needed
>-install any apks
enjoy your malware
>-root that brings a shitton of features like adblocking
Safari has adblocking
>-bigger screen
no thanks
>-installing apps that aren't from google play store
not needed
>-microSD cards
not needed
>-use bluetooth to transfer files to any phone
never use
>-removable battery
which most Android phones do not have

like i said in i don't want to get into a line by line argument about this. i don't see the point in arguing the necessity of a file manager (although my understanding is that ios 11 is offering some kind of functionality in that direction). i just wanted to get a sense of what things outweigh security to people that prefer android. the fact that android devices don't get timely updates for very long isn't exactly a secret, so people are making that decision in spite of it. i want to know why.

Not him, but I just like to use my phone as usb device. Being a GNU/Linux guy and having a rooted android phone is like a mini Gnu/linux computer in your pocket.

Spoiler : The Honor 8 update is great.

T. Honor 8 owner.

Updates are a meme.

is that a thing you actually take advantage of or is it just nice to feel like you have that power?

everything i can imagine using a linux machine for would require more resources than most phones these days have, so i have an ssh client on my phone that i can use to remote into a server i have at home. so i kind of understand the desire to have access to a *nix machine, but i'm not sure that having it locally solves any additional problems vs having a client and using tmux or screen sessions remotely.

Sometimes updates can't be as important as having more freedom on your phone. My phone is supposed to be a pocket computer, a mini-desktop. I use bluetooth a lot with my friends because we either share music files and all that kind of stuff. microSD cards are useful too, when you don't have a lot of space in your phone, you can just use the card, which I do, got a 8gb one. Bigger screen is better, iphone is limited to either 5" or 5.5", do you want to read websites on a small shitty screen? And what is wrong with external battery? If I don't have an external outlet, I can just swap it with a new fully charged battery, very useful when hiking or just outside.
(You)

>-use a file manager
>not needed
Dumb facebooker.
>Safari has adblocking
Android blocks ads system-wide.
>-installing apps that aren't from google play store
>not needed
Dumb not-programmer.

if you don't believe that security updates are for real, then i guess that answers my question in some sense. thanks i guess

Are you retarded or just stupid?

Here's how you sell an iPhone.
>Step one: wipe your data from phone, phone is now unlocked and in the setup phase ready for new owner
>Step two: sell the phone and get way more money than you'd get from an AndroPajeetshit phone

Stop making up bullshit just because Apple products don't fit your nasty NEET "lifestyle"

you're going through and justifying hardware differences again. also, i want to confirm that you're saying *security* updates — not just generic "updates" — are not as important to you as the use cases you just described like sharing music and stuff.

i feel like i'm in uncontrolled environments a lot — airports, etc... — and the idea of an unpatched wireless device that's tied into my personal accounts and stuff seems extremely risky.

I don't wanna have to root my phone to do basic stuff
I do all of my financial activity on my phone so security is very important
>My phone is supposed to be a pocket computer, a mini-desktop
min isn't. I already have a desktop and tablet for that. I just need my phone to do it's job

Your phone is compromised by design, security updates are just there to make you think you're safe.

Both android and ios have their advantages and disadvantages. It' easier to say that android is for powerusers, for people who really want to have a lot of freedom with their phone, and ios is for people who just want a fast phone, with good security and app performance.

>I don't wanna have to root my phone to do basic stuff
Sounds like iOS.

apple can make updates because its their phone so they have the driver sources but android phones cant be updated after the proprietary chink chip driver blobs become obsolete and unsupported by the latest android version.

iOS works tho

That's google faults for wanting to release android as fast as possible and be adopted by all carriers in order to compete with apple.

It clearly doesn't because without jaibreak it has no more features than a console.

what do you jailbreak for?

this is kind of my position. it's one thing that android devices' effective lifespans are short in that i won't be getting OTA updates after 3 or so years. it's another when some manufacturers won't be upfront about that in advance of update releases (in other words, when marshmallow was announced, i would've liked to hear from samsung immediately that the SGS4 google play edition wasn't going to get it).

but the third strike — and really, the thing that makes this all much, much worse to me — is that there are a lot of so-called flagship, first class, etc... devices that *will* get updates several weeks or even months after google first releases them. this kind of trickling pipeline for security updates is fundamentally unworkable. controlled disclosure of security vulnerabilities only works on the assumption that every relevant device can be updated promptly after the disclosure is made. if my device manufacturer doesn't take that seriously and i only get these updates after a prolonged lag time, i'm spending that interim time walking around with *publicly known* vulnerabilities. any script kiddie could pwn my device.

ok

Seems like Google fixed that in Android wear and attempts to fix that in Android O.

why would you use bluetooth and not wifi? do you like slow transfer speeds

I'm just being optimistic and assume all those iOS "cant's" are fixable by jaibreak apps. Otherwise it's a really sad device.

iPhones only seem to get 'slow' because close to the upgrade cycle people have filled up the device to 95% of its storage capacity and NAND performance goes to shit at that point. At that point it feels like its running off an old iPod's hard drive. As evidenced when I cleared all the tens of thousands of photos from my iPhone 5S, it runs good as new on 10.3. You just need to fucking keep the storage below 80% capacity at the most.

it would not be a problem if they didnt make breaking changes to every update. theres absolutely no reason to change how a driver works for every fucking release.

that's fair, but i resent when people insist that android is better for all people everywhere. the false sense of power and control that one has with android devices arguably lulls people into a sense of security that's misplaced.

if you're not actively keeping up with every update, doggedly researching custom ROMs and whatnot for the most up-to-date patches and fixes, then you're arguably worse off (at least from a security standpoint) than if you went with ios at the outset (depending on how quickly apple patches things).

to use a slightly leaky metaphor, taking protein powder and creatine is good if you work out regularly, but if you slack off it'll just make you bloat up, and you'd be better off sticking to a regular healthy diet.

at least Android offers a quick and easy way to clean app caches. with iOS you have to do stupid workarounds like trying to download crazy huge apps to force the OS to clear space

This. The whole "just change the ROM" argument is absolute bullshit. Only a fucking poorfag retard would trust software made by complete strangers without proper development and support.

>LOL hey man just install this totally virus free ROM from ELITEPAJEETHAXXOR87!!

Funny, given the 4S can't run iOS 10

do iphones still use non-standard display resolutions so every 1080p video looks like crap?

9.3.5 is the latest and I have one 4s with me right now and it still works great kek

Busted

That's nice, Timmy. But here in the adult world we have gained assets such as money by doing a thing called "work" and these assets require protection through security.

come on dude, don't take him seriously. just say "okay that's nice" and leave it at that.

I'm talking about stored media in forms of photos and videos not fucking app caches. There's only a few dogshit apps that don't clear their caches every week or so.

Yeah I know it's usually just a troll, but sometimes I get this feeling with certain posts. Sometimes it's too obvious the poster is a morbidly obese basement dwelling NEET who sucks on the tit of welfare and shuns all things which require work or ambition. I sensed that in his post.

>Security updates aren't important

Here have a free (you). But don't spend it all in one place, okay?