ITT: redflags that instantly mark software as garbage

ITT: redflags that instantly mark software as garbage
>custom UI that has standard buttons in different place (like close window) so if you opened 10 different programs and clicked in the same place to close them all it wouldnt work for this one
>option to launch on startup but no option for launch minimzed

>Designed by Apple in California

Custom UI in general is a red flag, you should always inherit your style from the operating environment's style.

>desktop app
>doesn't have a menu bar or static sidebar
>instead has a hamburger button which opens a pop-out sidebar
Why? Just why?

This pisses me off to no end. I don't want your bullshit flat/minimalist design, because as pretty as it might look, it's shit unless it matches my theme exactly.

Electron apps

>every change of UI elements plays an animation you cant skip
fuck JS

when this is a baseline network reading

In defense of Electron apps, you can do a lot of interesting stuff with the framework. Too bad most Electron devs are fucking faggots and the native code that results is just as shit

>random 3rd party opt-out software in installer

>an operating system that requires me to visit dozens of websites, download their installers and install them one by one

this

With chocolatey on command prompt and the Windows Appstore, this is no longer a problem.

top kek fpbp

when they use "proprietary" as a selling point

>you should always inherit your style from the operating environment's style.
I generally agree but sometimes I like it to not work like that.
For example, I like my file manager to look white and generally like windows 98/xp/7.
In plasma I have everything set to be black. everything opens black. it looks cool, but for some stuff its shit, like file managers.
I was using nemo, which isnt kde so it doesn't give a fuck what kde/plasma has to say and draws itself as white.
dolphin on the other hand listens and draws itself as black.. nemo wins imo

there are exception to just about everything
pretty sure he just means the general look and feel should match the host system, as long as it doesn't detract from the functionality of the program

I bet hed hate the early 2000s.

such as?

well, i was a kid in the early 2000's, so all those ui's with rounded edges and gradients everywhere seemed pretty cool to me at the time

chrome/chromium does this well tho. the titlebar that firefox has wastes too much space.

or patented

>firefox
>wastes space
This is nightly with the default compact light theme.

This.

Looks like your Chromium has the "use system titlebar" option enabled

*cough* Qt *cough*

That option doesn't exist on Windows.

>Appstore
garbage of a worse tier than mobile garbage
>chocolatey
there is no way in hell this has even a quarter of the software I want in its repos: sysinternals suite, superf4, findandrunrobot, everything search, ditto, unchecky, flux, thunderbird, quiterss, synctrayzor, sharex to name just some. A software repo that doesn't contain at least a sizable portion of all software is useless.

"patent pending"
>literally saying "we're so conceited we've filed a request for a patent but it hasn't even gone through yet"

Deal with it, user. I can agree that the Microsoft Appstore is garbage, but chocolatey is growing with more packages, and even has some of the software you mentioned. The packages I don't find on chocolatey, there is always the option to use an installer.

wtf are you on about nigga
Qt follows the system theme
well not anymore by default on linux because the qt faggots removed the gtk theme from the main distribution

qt does, if you use KDE
its just gtk based systems think they are too good to build any qt support

How about textboxes that don't work? I was recently using some very sophisticated software at work, with a lot of complex work put into the algorithms and verification, etc... however, among other things, when we entered a - into an empty textbox it'd go berserk. For some reason we had to clear everything (shit starts showing up on both sides of the cursor), enter the number, then add the - at the end. Not a huge deal, but I don't know how you fuck up a textbox like that.

> Compiler source
> You need Ocaml, gtk and webkit support to build this
y

>closed source
>labeled as "app"

>a number box
>it says 32
>you want to change it to 64
>you press back space a few times
>but if you delete everything it defaults to 1
>you have to write 164
>then go back to delete the 1.

>No self contained update process
Yes, let me go and visit your site every week to download the newest installer. What a great way to ensure most users are 2-3 versions behind.

It's 2017 for fuck's sake, even the Minecraft server I ran 4 years ago had an automated update process for new/updated mods and configs.

>mfw my software has an automatic update process that works pretty damn well

>useless animations that waste time
>have to deactivate option to install other shitty software (ie avast or mcafee)
>java UI
>made by chinese/indians
>website decription includes "revolutionary", "hackable", "21st century", "modern"
>devs are hipsters
>electron

>uses electron or anything similar

>hybrid apps are making my C/C++/ObjC skills less valuable

even better: if the box doesn't allow numbers as high as "164" or if it won't let you type more than 2 characters (in your example), making it even more complicated

>Minecraft
>Proprietary auto-software update
Your OS should support auto-software update, if it doesn't, complain until they fix it. GNU/Linux does it.

In my opinion, many softwares are fine with their own design. For example i like Steam or blender gui. But i agree, sometimes it sucks (for bloated low quality softwares).

Your chrome bar is wide because you are not in full size window. But i agree with you, the new compact firefox is a real improvement.