/pcbg/ PC Building General - gtx 760 edition

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/j78Wqk
mindfactory.de/product_info.php/ASRock-A320M-AMD-A320-So-AM4-Dual-Channel-DDR4-mATX-Retail_1169767.html
jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=500
pcpartpicker.com/product/H4M323/gskill-tridentz-series-32gb-4-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c14q-32gtzsw
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/s4xLRG
es.pcpartpicker.com/list/DxX9m8
es.pcpartpicker.com/list/fJz8gL
asus.com/support/cpu_support
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

oops just made a thread but I will post here.

Building my first computer.

Anything wrong with this setup?

My 20+ hour struggle continues, I plugged in the power switch and reset switch wrong and I think I connected my HDD and optical drive wrong, I'm just going to take a break from this for a few days

disassemble all the part and start with simplest one,
- connect psu to the power, turn it on does your psu fan spun?
- add psu to motherboard and cpu without ram, it should beep
- add ram and gpu, connect the monitor, try to go to bios
- finally add your hdd

mining is on it's way out famm

Yeah I won't be mining eth and stuff, just some shitcoins on the bitcointalk forum before they hit exchanges.

Went to turn on my PC last night and it made a big pop sound and a flash and then went quiet. Smelled like burning too.
After that it was conpletely dead, press the on button and nothing.
I opened it up and looked for any signs of a problem but didnt see anything. I looked at the mobo for a while and didn't see any signs of a short or burnout. So... power supply?
Not sure how to test it.

>recommends iGPU graphics
>only one CPU with iPGU in the list
Why? Also the R3 isn't really a much better value than the Pentium, is it?

Better get a spare PSU to test it with. Sounds like exploding PSU to me.

2 vs 4 cores matter

R3 1200 when OCed beats the Bentium. Ditto for A12-9800 which has a better iGPU and can also be OCed.

Sure but it's almost twice the price right now and you need to spend money for a gpu (which unless you are a total poorfag you would do anyway9 but leaving the Pentium out makes no sense in this context.

But would a poorfag build really include an A350 chipset?

R8 and please don't h8

pcpartpicker.com/list/j78Wqk

I'm getting it prebuilt on another site for peace of mind/included warranty, but as a result I have to pick certain stuff like Corsair RAM because they have deals with suppliers

Do I need to upgrade to splash out for liquid cooling or anything?

It will be used for a wide range of game genres. MMOs, FPS, RTS

>But would a poorfag build really include an A350 chipset?
There is barely any price difference between the two. Maybe $5 or something.

I've been driving myself insane with my obtuse need to fit a computer into a hole for /aesthetics/ and I find the case with the perfect size and features. (Antec ISK 600M) But oh wait it hasn't been made in years and can only be bought used for like $200.

Anyone else have some suggestions for this one?
Dimensions: 13in Width x 13in Height x 15in Depth.
mATX. Preferably with some sort of disk drive space and I/O connections on the front. My alternate option is the Corsair Air 240, but it's lack of disk drive pisses me the fuck off.

Look at your connector diagram and bend a paper clip and complete the circuit in two pins to make the PSU think it's on. If you hear the fan whim, then it's probably fine.

Or you can just get a power supply tester.

Yeah that seems the most likely I guess. Thing's only 2-3 years old. Sonofabitch

>building PCs

>1366x768 59Hz

G4560 is still relevant faggots.

Reminder that not everyone is American
>$40 price difference is significant in other currencies
>still available in other countries
>it's actually $57 in mine, with good availability

Of course, this would change once we know for sure whether it can be upgraded to Coffee Lake or not.

that is pretty sexy

>Alienware

I've been waiting for >1 month for GPUs to be back in stock, and I'm at the point where I'd like to have my PC right now, by next Sunday if possible.

Should I just go ahead and buy a 1060 6GB for 280€ or am I getting ripped off?

Best psu for a 1080ti?

How are 980 Ti prices where you are? They're like 7% worse than a 1070 but there should be plenty of used ones around by now. I won't upgrade from mine until 2019 or 2020 if my estimates are correct.

600w?

It's >400€, insane prices

tfw bought a 970 for 100 euro

Sub 500 € light-gaming build for the Krauts

Not going to buy it, just was curious what is possible with the R3 and what not in terms of money.

General thouhgts of this build:

>Use 2 x 4 GB of RAM to profit from dual-channel over 1 x 8 GB which would have been way cheaper
>Only 120 GB SSD to avoid spending too much money on storage
>Focus on a good PSU to avoid losing the hardware quickly, but renounce a modular PSU. Non-modular will do in this price range

Since it's still almost 30 € below 500, you can still either put a bigger SSD, or get the 1050 TI

Thoughts? What would you have done different?

That's 555 $ in retard btw, but I assume US prices should be way lower anyway.

4gb isn't enough ram.

The Athlon X4 950 is cheaper and has 4 real cores.

650w Gold

Seagate is a good choice.

Why get an SSD instead of HDD for a budget build.

it's 2 x 4...

Because it's 2017

What about EVGA? I have a 750w I'm looking at for 109USD

>4 real cores
user...

Never mind the fact that the G4560 will be faster. But personally I'd get the Athlon just because I can upgrade to whatever until 2020

>4 real cores.
You mean as in "two cores sharing one FPU"?

Get a cheaper mainboard like
mindfactory.de/product_info.php/ASRock-A320M-AMD-A320-So-AM4-Dual-Channel-DDR4-mATX-Retail_1169767.html
and get faster RAM instead.

Psu is packed with dust, pretty sure that killed it. I ain't fucking around with these caps, just going to replace it.

So my stupid computer guy built me a PC with no CPU cooling. My graphics card hasn't come in yet so I'm just hoping the pc hasn't even been booted yet and he hasn't fried my chip. Stupid cunt. Is there anyway to tell if a cpu is damaged when I finally get it home? Yes I'm a complete scrubby noob at this.

>Seagate PSU
Do you buy Seasonic HDD?

EVGA G3 or P2 and you should be set for the next 7 years

Sounds good I'll go with the G3 750w

Which CPU? Except for certain models, most would come with a cooler. The PC would automatically switch off if the CPU gets too hot btw

Are there any graphics cards in the gtx 10 series that have two DVI ports?
Or is there any way to get 144hz on two monitors without the use of DP?

HDMI 2.0 cables are expensive fuck

It's an i7 6800k so that's an unlocked one right? I don't think they come with a stock sink, and I assumed it did until yesterday, and I think he does as well. That's good to know that it will turn off, so I shouldn't worry too much? I'll be slapping a liquid cooler on it tomorrow before he gets everything rolling.

>he fell for the 3.5 GB
970 are dirt cheap at the moment because everyone is trying to get rid of them

You should be fine, CPUs will automatically halt the system if temperatures climb to unsafe levels.

>Are there any graphics cards in the gtx 10 series that have two DVI ports?
No. DVI is pretty much dead at this point and it's only included in cards for legacy reasons.
>Or is there any way to get 144hz on two monitors without the use of DP?
You could buy DP to DVI adapters, but those aren't cheap either.

oh yeah

Alright thanks for the extra reassurance I was really worried I'd be booting up a brand new PC with a damaged chip.

Reminder to always check the QVL on your motherboard's website before choosing hardware for it.

>RAM at 2133 CL15

What did he mean by this

Where to buy cheap win 10 key

Don't. Last batch of Supernova G2's are no longer Super Flower manufactured and none of these new models are.

What?

jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=500

>R3 1200 - Budget builds (

Hey I remember you. I see you took my advice on the case. You want RAM with 14-14-14-34 timings. It's more likely to hit 3200MHz.

pcpartpicker.com/product/H4M323/gskill-tridentz-series-32gb-4-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c14q-32gtzsw

Hey man, I remember you also, thanks for advice on case. Is the 'RAM with 14-14-14-34 timings' better in general or just for mining?

check were is the fail first, unmount gpu hdd ...

only conect motherboard and one stick of ram try power up.
if it power up continue inserting extra hardware one by one
if not bot is psu mother board (procesor or ram) check the psu with a fan or wathever.

Any good build around the Vega?

What total budget would one expect for such a build?

Living in Austria

Yeah I remember seeing it 5-6 years ago and not really feeling the design but I really want it now.

>1700X is down to $299 on Amazon

That stuff is pretty expensive.
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/s4xLRG

Why do you Aussies even try to play video games when your country is so desperate to make it affordable?

Still using a 760 lmao, how shit are they now and would it be bottlenecking my 4690k

Anyone here have experience buying hardware from another country namely the US?
A lot of the stuff is way cheaper in the US.

Thanks in advance

wew lad, guess that's not an option for me. thanks for the effort.

aussies need gaymen too

r8 my build.
CPU: AMD Opteron 6272 x2
Mobo: Asus KGPE-D16 AMD
Ram: 16 GB of Kingston DDR3 ECC RAM
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 EATX
PSU: EVGA - 80 PLUS 600W
Graphics card: Gtx 660 ti
Storage: 250GB SSD samsung plus 4TB HDD
Cooling: Bunch of fans I have.

Where are you located?

You have to think about things like import tax and other things

Shipping, customs, no warranty. Not worth it

where can i buy a 970 for that price?

South Africa, as far as I know hardware is a 0 rated item here(no tax).
Now that you put it like that, I'm not as interested as I was before

Just bought 12 1080Ti. Equihash here we come :)

should I add something or does this look alright?

How do you guys shop for a monitor? I cant decide on a 27" or a 32"

i would change the mobo to something else, i've had some problems with pc mate

You'll need a GPU and I'd go with a 2,5" ssd over yours.

thanks for the heads-up

waiting for VEGA
any reason as to why you prefer an SSD over the m2 drive? budget wise it's not an issue that's why I picked a m2 since it's faster or am I missing something?

Just because 2.5" is cheaper, if you can afford it M.2 is great (no cables and less space + more speed).
What old GPU are you running with until then? Isn't that case a bit shorter than normal in terms of GPU length?

oh okay
rx480, the case is pretty big and it should be sufficient for any kind of gpus I think

What problems? Mine has been fine so far, only problem is my ram can only hit 2933.

>PC part picker thinks that the EVGA CLC280 is incompatible with AM4
kek

What do you think of this build?
es.pcpartpicker.com/list/DxX9m8
Can I make it cheaper or better?
I already have a 700W PSU.

Lower timings are in general better, if not significantly so. What's special about 14-14-14-34 is that it's Samsung B-die, which gets along better with Ryzen. You're more likely to be able to run it at full speed compared with lower quality ram. A set of Hynix or lower quality Samsung may say 3200mhz, but have trouble actually running at that speed. At least that's how it is for regular Ryzen. BIOS updates since launch have been improving the RAM situation, so Threadripper could fare better.

my ram was unstable at 2133 and sometimes the pc wouldn't boot at all

hello i dont know if this belonged on /sqt/ or here but if i want to upgrade from i3 to i7 do i just need to buy the processor or do i have to replace the motherboard too?

1050ti oc and rx 470 4gb are almost equal in price where i live, I'm going to pair it with ryzen 1600 for video editing and gaming, which one will be a better choice

Get faster RAM. If you want to save money, you may want to consider just using the stock cooler. Wraith Spire is quite acceptable even for decent overclock.

The 470 is almost as fast as the 1060 3GB, and significantly faster than the 1050 ti. So unless you have an actual reason to prefer Nvidia, it's the better choice.

I updated it, thanks.
es.pcpartpicker.com/list/fJz8gL

That's weird, even with bios updates?

Would I run into any issues using a 710 as a placeholder in a R5 1600 build until I get a decent GPU? Won't be used for gaming right now.

check if your mobo supports the CPU

If they're both same socket, the i7 should work fine.

it does, its the lga1150, which one should i get? im not a gamer btw its more for video/music production

Ty man, I will look into this. Do you have any recommendations for '14-14-14-34 ' ? I am looking for pretty much top tier parts, but not so much that they are priced like several thousand per piece, but still very high.

not just the socket, the actual CPU

if it's an asus motherboard put the CPU name and check if the mobo is on the list, i'm sure other manufacturers have the same
asus.com/support/cpu_support

Ok, the old thread died, got one comment (to switch 1200 for 1600)
What do you think?

> Buget up to 1000 USD - hard mode - VAT included (23% EU-fag here) and screen incuded
>Goal: facebook/writing machine, YT, watching movies, occasional editing of pictures, rarely trimming down clips for YT. However, I want something that will last for a couple of years::
>CPU
Ryzen 1200
>MOBO
Asus Prime B350M-A
>GPU
MSI GF 1030 (silent version)
>PSU
Corsair CX450M
>MEMORY
Patriot 2x4GB, 2400, validated with mobo producer
>STORAGE
ADATA 128 GB SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda