Do you use surge protectors?

Do you use surge protectors?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/6x98TW/cyberpower-gx1325u-ups-gx1325u
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

YES!!!!!

Yes, Its some shitty belkin one i bought from Walmart when i moved in. Its not like i didnt need a power bar for all my shit anyways.

What sort of third world country do you live in, OP?

Almost all AC powered computer components have internal surge protection in their power supplies.

Yes, but only for the extra plugs.

Because of

>almost all
I think you're forgetting the sheer prevalence of cheap chinese junk

No, because my country has sane plugs that already have built-in fuses.

also redundancy helps

But are you using a 5280J surge protector with Level 2 power filter?

yep - we used to have very flakey mains here that zapped a couple of things, so surge protectors on anything iimportant

mains is long fixed but still do it from habit.

I use a cheap one for the extra plugs. These things are zero help during a lightning strike. The overpriced ones are just a meme to sell to normies.

Fuses don't protect against surges. A fuse will still allow a damaging amount of energy to pass without even blowing. Fuses only protect against current overflows not high voltage spikes

Are UPS power surge protection as good?

Yes, with a battery.
pcpartpicker.com/product/6x98TW/cyberpower-gx1325u-ups-gx1325u

Yes, especially on my server. The Server plus all networking equipment and backup nas are on a UPS. Desktop and all other electronic devices in my living room use regular power strips

Potentially destructive surges are maybe hundreds of thousands of joules. How many joules in that APC? A few hundred? So where are hundreds of thousands of joules absorbed? That question must always be answered to have effective protection. A completely different device, also called a protector, provides protection by answering that question.
Lightning is typically 20,000 amps. More responsible manufacturers provide a 'whole house' protector that is at least 50,000 amps. An effective protector does not stop, block, or absorb surges. Effective protectors connect to what does all (and so effective) protection. Single point earth ground. Then hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate in earth. Nobody even knows a surge existed. Surge does not even enter the building. Everything is protected. And the protector does not fail.
Critical difference is a ground wire that makes a low impedance (ie 'less than 10 foot') connection to earth. Wire thickness is mostly irrelevant. Wire length to earth (as short as possible) is critical. Other critical factors are no sharp wire bends, ground wire routed separately from other non-grounding wires, and wire not inside metallic conduit. More conditions that say why APC will not even discuss earth ground.
Best protection for a TV cable and satellite dish is a wire from that cable to earth. Then destructive surges connect to earth without entering a building. Everything is protected. That wire must be low impedance ('less than 10 feet, no splices, etc). Other incoming utilities (AC electric, telephone) cannot be earthed directly. So a telco earths a 'whole house' protector for free (as also required by numerous codes and standards). Everyone has one.

Only incoming wire that has no protection is AC electric. Therefore a lightning strike far down the street enters the house hunting for earth ground destructively via appliances. Where does that energy dissipate? Will hundreds of joules inside the APC somehow absorb that energy? Of course not. Once permitted inside, that current will hunt for earth ground destructively via appliances. That surge is incoming to everything. May catastrophically destroy APC MOVs. Will damage appliances that make a better connection to earth.
Surge damage means that current has both an incoming path and an outgoing path. Protection means that current does not and need not enter the building.
Facilities that can never have damage earth BEFORE current enters. The 'whole house' protector connects current to what absorbs the energy - single point earth ground.
More responsible manufacturers provide these superior devices. Most are names that any 'man(male)' would know for their integrity. Including Siemens, Leviton, ABB, Polyphaser, General Electric, Ditek, Square D, and Intermatic. A Cutler-Hammer (Eaton) version was selling in Lowes and Home Depot for less than $50.
That protector is only simple science. It only does what a wire might do better. For AC electric, it should be 50,000 amps or larger So that MOVs and protective fuses do not blow. But earth ground (not any protector) defines the protection. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. Questions about surge protection are mostly about how to install the single point earth ground. To both meet and exceed National Electrical code requirements.
Where does hundreds of thousand of joules dissipate? Destructively inside appliances. Or harmlessly outside in earth. The homeowner makes that decision. Because a protector is only as effective as its earth ground.

I don't think that device will absorb the energy of a surge it has one of these things
that melts or whatever in the event of a surge cutting the power to your stuff but protecting it from the surge of electircity

I believe you're dezgribing a fuse.

yea but the point is that the surge protector doesn't absorb the electricity in the event of a surge

No kidding, it passes it on to the connected devices.

no because im cheap

No, I just leave thousands of dollars worth of shit plugged into the wall and trust my incompetent electric company to not fry my shit

Well yea, on the mains connection in the houses "fusebox" (on DIN rail). Looks mostly like in the photo, though that isn't mine.

Sockets and power rails dont need their own individual fuses though, no.

More filtering is more smoothness.

based

what kind of third world country doesn't have surge protection built into their electricity grid?
hell, I never knew surges were a thing before I started browsing Sup Forums

Yeah, a cheapy one, even though in my country surges (bad ones at least) are extremely rare.

This. It is incompetent not to have this in a house.

I have a nicely grounded outlet, I plug my pc on a filter with a nice big fuse too. psus, mobos and gpus have surge protection, but I once lost a mobo for a lightning that hit my tv antenna and yeah it only burned my mobo dont ask me why (probably the only thing that was turned on at the time).

I would assume that if the electric company was responsible for the frying, they would have to pay for the replacement.

No, because I don't live in the 3rd world.

yes buy another psu goy.

cant even trust them to fix their own equipment properly.
fucking transformer a few blocks over blows a few times a year for as long as I can remember.

Yes. But I don't expect it to protect against lightning strikes.

>computer components have internal surge protection
It is cheaper (and easier) for me to replace a decent surge protector.