input.conf example:
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/etc/input.conf

User Scripts(including opengl shaders):
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/User-Scripts

Migrating from MPC-HC?
github.com/dragons4life/MPC-HC-config-for-MPV/blob/master/input.conf

Vulkan(Linux only for now):
github.com/atomnuker/mpv

Test vulkan and post logs if it gives you any kind of problems.

For better playback quality paste this in your mpv.conf file:
# Specify high quality video rendering preset
profile=opengl-hq
# Scaler used when upscaling chroma (color information)
cscale=ewa_lanczos
# Scaler used when upscaling video
scale=ewa_lanczossharp

# github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/Display-synchronization
# Force video to lock on the display's refresh rate
video-sync=display-resample
# Reduces stuttering
interpolation
# Interpolation scaler
tscale=oversample

Notes: Remove cscale and scale if your computer isn't powerful enough.
Interpolation can also reduce framerate drastically.

Mpv uses software decoding by default.
You may want to enable hardware decoding using hwdec=auto or hwdec=auto-copy.
Note that it can lead to issues, depending on your video card.

Getting freezes under Windows?
Add

angle-flip=no

to your mpv.conf.

If MOUSE_BTN3 and MOUSE_BTN4 aren't working in your input.conf, try using AXIS_UP and AXIS_DOWN to control scrollwheel.

To get error logs, please add

log-file=log.txt

to your config file.
Then search the log for "dumb" anything or for [e].

>RAAAVUUUUU!

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1813837#post1813837
raw.githubusercontent.com/google/angle/master/extensions/EGL_ANGLE_stream_producer_d3d_texture_nv12.txt
diff.pics/tBcqlLeAHhap/1
diff.pics/zZfBgPWWVyan/1
madshi.net/FsrcnnVsNguSharp.zip
forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1810884&postcount=44255
kickstarter.com/projects/kirilleremenko/deep-learning-a-ztm-online-course
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Which RAVU is better, the regular one or native? Native hooks RGB, regular hooks Luma.

MPC:HC->mpv/AXIS_UP&DOWN person here.
You can keep the OP cleaner and put all the extra stuff as a separate first comment instead.
Looks better, more structured and cleaner in the catalog.

What do you use to auto-download subtitles? , the thing I like the most about mpc-hc is that you can download subs, just pressing d, is there something like that for mpv?

look at the user scripts in op. or stop downloading shit rips.

system wide or user specific for config file?

Explain this. Is it mpv or the source?

Try with other players to be sure, but probably the source.

It was the source apparently. Weird though, I thought Ohys-Raws had good quality.

>forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1813837#post1813837
>I don't know what mpv does in d3d11va zero-copy mode, but considering its primarily linux-focused, I wouldn't expect this to be a fully optimized path.
Is nevcairiel right?

Is he mad because mpv decoders are faster than his directshow mess?

Is that right?
Should I add scale-clamp=0.5 and remove antiringing shader?
profile=opengl-hq
vd-lavc-dr=yes
hwdec=auto
opengl-shader="~~/shaders/ravu-r4.hook"
opengl-shader="~~/shaders/adaptive-antiringing.glsl"

No, you're a clueless shitposter

Yes, I think he's right. d3d11va supports P010 decoding but the OpenGLD3D11 ANGLE interop API does not, it only does NV12. This is the reason for the quality loss (10->8 bits rounding) when using d3d11va with mpv.

Source: raw.githubusercontent.com/google/angle/master/extensions/EGL_ANGLE_stream_producer_d3d_texture_nv12.txt

no support for P010

What about dxinterop?

hwdec=d3d11va requires angle

Damn!

Back to linux...

ohys does shitty encodes from shitty broadcast sources (and AT-X is one of the absolute worst broadcasters in terms of quality)

Why isn't there any d3d11va decoder in LAVFilters?

Thats why hwdec is generally worst

Is interpolation working well with angle-flip=no for you?

User specific is a good Linux policy in general since backing up your home directory is pretty standard policy if you decide to wipe the operating system for some reason.

What I do, that I find useful, is to put all my settings into custom profiles and then load them at the top (note you can nest profiles in order to extend/override.

profile=my-profile

[my-profile]
profile=opengl-hq
cscale=ewa_lanczos
scale=ewa_lanczossharp

video-sync=display-resample
interpolation
tscale=oversample

If you want to use a global config then it may make it cleaner to only add custom profiles to the global configs and then choose them in the local ones.

Also, imo the manual isn't super clear on how over-riding works between local and global configs, whether an entire config is over-ridden or if local settings are just over-laid on top of the global ones. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

what's the consensus on cscale?

Its not available because its entirely wrong nowadays and had been for a year until it was removed.
FFmpeg is much cleaner and more secure than libav nowadays who still have a ton of old library wrappers like libschroedinger because they don't have anyone to write new encoders or decoders. FFmpeg has much less dependency on external libraries than it did 2 years ago. The ffmpeg api is also much improved, especially in terms of filtering and resampling.

He doesn't do much for either project, and also libav merges some ffmpeg commits. That's why his name is there.

>implementations
libav hasn't had any new implementations of anything in 3 or 4 years. Their clean up work is crap and complicates things further, which is why ffmpeg doesn't even find anything that's worth merging from them.
You'll definitely notice a regression if you used libav, their decoders are slower and buggier than ffmpeg. They don't have anyone writing assembly. Seeking was broken last I checked with some vp9 things.

Don't recommend it to anyone, its written in the readme in black and white, ffmpeg is what's supported. libav is dead.

is there any way to make mpv only allow one instance on wangblows?

not that important.
it's not always ideal to use a super sharp cscale, but a softer one hardly looks any better in situations where you might notice a difference anyway.

How do I make it so itll always run in one instance

Convert script is broken and unmaintained, and even when editing for temporary fixes, mpv still throws warnings. The only other webm script is made by a Brazilian who admits to stealing code from other scripts (e.g. also unmaintained). How do you people make webms efficiently? Ffmpeg is slow if you need to crop, cut, or rencode multiple times.

So the rebels lost.

There's a script for that in the main repo, called umpv or something like that.

QuadroSharpen masterrace config vs default
diff.pics/tBcqlLeAHhap/1

Are you still at it? I thought you were ironic about that whole quadro shader thing.

no man, I actually use it. At least on videos that aren't too small because then it looks bad and I set up a profile for that. But on 720p an upwards it looks pretty good to me.

You misspelled FSRCNN
diff.pics/zZfBgPWWVyan/1

FSRCNN is dead, user...

Why? Because madshi said it?

Because haasn abandoned it.

Yes, but because madshi proved it is a slow ringing generator!

In madshi's own tests it was almost indistinguishable from NGU, actually.

>more interesting things
?

Was he talking about vulkan?

>vulkan
>interesting thing
Lol, no.

why should I choose mpv over vlc?

mpv performs better
mpv is more configurable

I could understand if you were too lazy to switch form MPC-HC but VLC is crap.

You shouldnt, stay on vlc and on WinXP forever.

not true.

> VLC is crap
never had any problems with it, though
And I like its clean UI and sane defaults

lol

So keep using VLC? Obviously you have low standards, which is fine.

Wanna me to dig those old pics?

madshi.net/FsrcnnVsNguSharp.zip

no need to dig. first google hit:

forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1810884&postcount=44255

Does MPV run better on *nix?

t. madshi
t. *******all

Did you think
> mpv performs better
> mpv is more configurable
> VLC is crap
would persuade anyone?

I might have low standards, but then: how do my standards differ from yours? I mean is there anything specific about mpv or are you just used to it (like I am to vlc)?

VLC isn't crap. mplayer is. After I set up a machine one of the first things is installing VLC (which can play any format) in favor of mplayer (which can't unless you install the necessary packages, and even then struggles).

fwiw, haasn has been working on improving the fsrcnn ringing artifacts, so there's hope his fsrcnn implementation might compete with ngu sharp, we'll have to wait and see, as haasn isn't finished with it yet.

>wait and see
I hate this!

I still wait for RAVU.

VLC doesn't even have interpolation lmfao.

>wait and see
>kickstarter.com/projects/kirilleremenko/deep-learning-a-ztm-online-course
I am sure I could master neural network and so on before haasn or bjin beat NGU. :D

Already competes with NGU-AA, try using scale-clamp=0.5 or maybe the adaptive-antiringing shader.

>we'll have to wait

MEME PLAYER Sup Forums GENERAL

>try using scale-clamp=0.5 or maybe the adaptive-antiringing shader
I tried both. Still cant compete with madvrs antiringing+NGU AA. Not even close in terms of ringing.

gtfo with your shitty madVR shit you gimp. My quadro config is superior, pajeet

ravu does seem to compete with nnedi3 and ngu-aa well, although somewhat limited to softer anime sources. nnedi3 and ngu-aa still do better (less aliasing and ringing) with sharper anime sources, heavier aliased sources and sharper film sources. so while ravu seems to work well for softer anime sources, nnedi3 and ngu-aa seem to be better allround algorithms at this point.

> software X doesn't even have [insert completely unnecessary feature here]
> lmfao

I don't use bloatware

>VLC
27MB
>mpv
14MB

Ayyy

RAVU works fine with somewhat decent quality animu without strong ringing, but with shit quality videos with lots of ringing it shits itself. Pic is RAVU r4 haasnsoft clamp 0.5.

Now NGU AA very high jinc with ticked remove ringing artifacts. ctrl+tab between two.

Bump to the question.

Fucking scale-clamp=0.5 makes image blurry as fuck! Why mpv cant into antiringing? REEEEEEEEEE~

ok, but how much of that comes from the "remove ringing artifacts" filter? it's not completely fair to compare ravu alone vs a combination of ngu-aa + "remove ringing" filter. i mean it might be fair if you want to compare mpv to madvr, but if you just want to compare ravu vs ngu aa, then you should do so without the "remove ringing" filter. or alternatively you should activate the filter also when using ravu. you can do that by playing the video in madvr first without any scaling and with "remove ringing" active. then make a screenshot and upscale that with ravu in mpv. this way you truly compare ravu vs ngu-aa.

>or alternatively you should activate the filter also when using ravu
The problem is i cant! adaptive-antiringing shader is too weak even with tweaked settings and mpv's clamp makes image blurry and AR doesnt work on ewa scalers. I already compared ravu vs ngu and vs nnedi3. Imo its better than both in lots of cases (for anime) but with heavy ringing anime sources it looks like garbo even compared to mpv's nnedi3.

yes, you can. if you read my previous comment starting with "or alternatively", i've explained how you can simulate having "remove ringing" in mpv. of course this only works for screenshots, not for a full video.

>also unmaintained
but it works? why do you even care about stolen code, it's not like the other scripts weren't open source to begin with.

Here is a nnedi3 vs ravu r4 without any antiringing measures. Same shitty anime source.

Now nnedi3 64. All settings are identical. Again ctrl+tab between two for maximum effect.

nnedi3 looks clearly better to me. biggest difference is of course the ringing.

Yup. But in images free of ringing i like RAVU more. The problem is mpv has nothing to fight ringing. This is what confused me since when i started using mpv. AR (for ewa) was there but caused hardcore artifacts often, then it got removed. Adaptive antiringing shader is alright but too weak and simple.

>But in images free of ringing i like RAVU more.
ravu causes those ringing
>Adaptive antiringing shader is alright but too weak and simple.
Because it's not for prescalers

can you post comparison images where you like ravu noticeably more? if possible also with the unscaled source image? i suppose we're talking about somewhat soft content? i think with sharp anime content (e.g. high quality 720p or 1080p sources) ravu should add noticeable ringing artifacts?

thanks!

How long until gui?

>ravu causes those ringing
The problem is not RAVU there. Its a really bad source. NGU AA without AR enabled has ringing in this image too.>Because it's not for prescalers
Then we need some shader for prescalers? Or something that will work fine on both.
> i think with sharp anime content (e.g. high quality 720p or 1080p sources) ravu should add noticeable ringing artifacts?
I have a 1080p monitor so i can only test RAVU -> mitchell to scale down. Tell me which of these two you like more.
>i suppose we're talking about somewhat soft content?
Kinda, yeah. Low res but decent quality anime rips. Ill post some later.

For the mpv team, antiringing is overated and mostly useless. Hope they finally accept to consider it.

couldn't really say which i like better, they're too similar. there are some minor differences, but nothing to write home about.

Well, yeah. First is RAVU r4, second is nnedi3 64.

Post the rendering times too!

Lets comparing boys. Which you like more?

>using mpc-hc
>take a screenshot
>no subs on the screenshot

pls help

>inb4 mpv thread

Use mpv and press s

mpv doesnt have this problem. AFAIK you cant make screenshots with subs if you use madvr.

it looks like shit on windows

i'm not using madvr.

just default mpc-hc

>rebels
Not rebels at all, they insisted everything be done to such strict reqirements patches sat for half a year before being applied even after reviews. This slowed development down to a crawl which hardly fit an enormous codebase given how few they were.
They took the website server and all the machines the project had along with the funds (which were shared between mplayer and ffmpeg) and half a year later they killed off the mplayer website (because they wanted their mplayer2 fork to be used) and mailing list. That's hardly a rebel thing to do, that's an asshole thing to do given mplayer was uninvolved.
Funny thing is one of the main people behind the fork (BBB, the VP9 guy) returned 3 months after it started and cut all contact off with them because nothing worked out at all. He's still apologizing to this day.

Are ravu-r3 and ravu-r4 (luma only) faster than SSimSuperRes? My toaster can't handle SSSR. :(

RAVU has better lines but FUCK ringing.