/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for select gaming scenarios (ask if unsure)
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/dTnTkT
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/TpKPBP
pcpartpicker.com/list/JckcD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/GgbtD8
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/BL48tJ
amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Cooler-YD1700BBAEBOX/dp/B06WP5YCX6/
pcpartpicker.com/list/
pcpartpicker.com/list/pm3fzM
support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c02131097
twitter.com/pcper/status/891843635829809152
youtube.com/watch?v=51SsMsUXTt8&feature=youtu.be&a
pcpartpicker.com/list/vKwrbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/p6ttD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/b6G3Yr
pcpartpicker.com/list/XnZxBP
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is it true that you should get an overpowered PSU for reliability and silent running or is it a meme to go more than 100w over your max usage?

Kek

Is this seriously a video Gigabyte released

Not a meme.

If you get a 1000W+ PSU to run a 400Wish system it'll remain passive all the time. Pretty pointlessly expensive to do it though unless you have autism and really care about noise. For most PSU's the fan noise isn't that much, but if the rest of your system is super quiet it could easily be the loudest component.

looking for a new HDD. is there any reason not to get a WD Blue? is there anything better in the same price range?

Hitachi has great HDDs for cheap, with amazing reliability. They're pretty underrated.

I don't know how i missed that HDD, thanks
Is this better?
pcpartpicker.com/list/dTnTkT

Not bad, people will no doubt rip on you for not going Ryzen though. Check some benchmarks for whatever games you intend to play and decide for yourself. If you're doing any productivity work Ryzen will piss and shit all over a 7700K.

Also a 1080Ti is roughly another 10% total system expenditure and will net another 30% gaming performance, something to think about.

is 4k gaming possible now? considering building a new rig.
are there any graphics cards that can run TF2 on max, 4k, and 120fps?

>is 4k gaming possible now?
1080Ti does 4K ultra 60FPS in its sleep.

>are there any graphics cards that can run TF2 on max, 4k, and 120fps?
Yeah the 7970 came out in 2012 if memory serves me correct.

What about the newest games on max, 120fps? like the new hitman?

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/TpKPBP

About to pull the trigger on my first gaming build.

Anything here look out of place? Already a little over budget. (Australia)

the ssd is too small, 500gb is what i consider minimum for OS. it fills up fast!
pretty sure you're paying too much for that HDD, dunno about aussie prices though.
monitor is too small(atleast for me), consider 23" or 27"
pretty sure you're gonna have problems with that small PSU.

I doubt it. I've got a 1080Ti and Hitman and it sits at 100% GPU usage at 1440p on max at somewhere north of 60FPS. If you're wanting 120FPS in everything you'll have to wait until better CPU's exist, and given the number of single threaded games out there you'll be waiting a very, very long time.

Pretty much what he said. A lot of games are 50GB or more these days, by the time you've got your OS installed and account for the amount of dead space on an SSD that's like three games.

how about this for a ryzen build?
pcpartpicker.com/list/JckcD8
would be using the stock cooler because i don't want to wait a month for the manufacturer to send out an AM4 plate.

pcpartpicker.com/list/GgbtD8
How's my build? Budget of $4k, meant for gaming 1440p 165Hz on AAA games. Are any parts just meme and useless, or any bottlenecks?

was considering 1440p but i feel like might aswell just jump on 4k and save myself the trouble of upgrading my monitors again. my current ones are over 6years old.
what about sli? wasn't it directx12 that would allow you to run multiple cards and get linear performance gain?

I'm waiting for whatever takes the 1080 Ti's place in the next progression. I'm looking for a similar jump from my 980 Ti as I experienced when moving from my 770 SC. Though I wouldn't mind a similar jump as the one from the 5770 to the 770.

you don't need to buy separate thermal paste, the cpu cooler comes with some on it.
i'd consider a 850w psu or higher

Where can i get windows 10 for cheap?

Yeah I'd definitely recommend 4K for a 1080Ti, at 1440p I'm finding it to be kind of underutilized in a lot of games. Not like it's a bad thing, but it kind of means you're throwing money down the drain on an unnecessary GPU.

SLI is pretty much dead at this point and there's no evidence to suggest that it'll make a comeback any time soon, see pic related. Nvidia has killed support for anything above 2-way SLI for anything other than benchmark usage, and even 2-way SLI is very limited in it's support recently.

The 'problem' of not hitting 120FPS in a lot of games is primarily going to be a CPU bottleneck issue in most games anyway unless you're running a retardedly high resolution, SLI isn't going to help.

Honestly though my monitor is 110Hz and so long as FPS is above 60 I don't really care. In my opinion super high FPS is only important in first person shooters.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/BL48tJ
Swapped out the SSD, monitor and PSU. Looking a little better?

Thanks

breddy gud, that's an ultrawide monitor though, check you like that kind of shit first.

get 7, you can still upgrade if you claim to use the accessibility features. there's no actual check, so they just take you at your word

hyuck hyuck

more brackets == better performance

>building on a carpet
>AIO cooler
>assrock mobo
Unironically kys you are self.

amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Cooler-YD1700BBAEBOX/dp/B06WP5YCX6/

Should I do it?

nothing had happened senpai

free-sync or g-sync?
if you go nvidia, will you have free-sync?
not that it seems to matter so much to me but if i'm going to buy a new gpu and monitor i'd like to have it

>that setup
What could possibly go wrong?

well I got a bit of cigarette ash in the radiator but it shook out easy. other than that runs great, I can watch YouTube in 1440p on Linux with the Nvidia drivers so I'm happy

is 1TB of extra storage going to be enough? and why WD blue?
what's the price difference between the 6GB and 8GB vram gpus? if it isn't too much you might aswell get a 8GB one.
still think you need +800W on PSU but i ain't sure.

>foil
why?

>free-sync or g-sync?
Neither, I don't use vsync in any games. Tearing isn't really a problem on a 110Hz display, and it sure as shit isn't a problem at 144Hz and above. I've not used Freesync or Gsync but I can't really see them being worth it unless it's a 60Hz panel.

Your mileage may vary, some people are very sensitive to stuff like frame tearing. It doesn't bother me unless I actively look for it.

it's mylar desu

nothing

>I can watch YouTube in 1440p
you're joking right? you can do this on your phone or tv, it doesn't require shit

It states there that the Wattage breakdown is 289W, why are you trying to make him buy 800 watts when 650W is fine?

that's probably idle though, not under load.

The cheapest 8GB GPU is an RX580 for an extra $70 (around $50USD). Worth it?

Should I be looking for 2TB, minimum?

You can click on the number to have it explained to you, retard.

probably gonna last you longer

No, the ranges pcpartpicker states for the GTX 1060 for example are 30W-120W, the 120W being under load. This means the PC ranges from 76W idle to 289W under load.

A friend of mine did the finishing touches on his computer at a paintball field's parking lot once.

No but we are not too far away, maybe next year for 4k 120 fps but probably using SLI/Crossfire compatible games.

>The secret driver doesn't exist
Whelp. The 1080 it is then.

So, since the Vega is confirmed shit (and also not shipping until september), final question is Ryzen or i7?

Ryzen + Nvidia looks to be the best option at the moment

Should I buy parts for a computer now, or wait? Will there be "back to school deals"?

WAIT FOR VEGA

If you are building from scratch the radeon pack actually looks like good value.
2 free games
Combo with Ryzen
200 dollar off a FS monitor
Free heater in the winter

>back to school deals
kek

Depends what you're buying. If you want a top-tier GPU it isn't looking like Nvidia's next gen is going to be anything special, so you're pretty safe in buying a 1080 or 1080Ti. If you want to save some cash on a GPU it would probably make sense to wait a few months for mid-range stuff to come down 25% or so, but the savings are kind of meagre in my opinion.

I personally wouldn't buy a CPU at all in the current climate, I'd wait til early next year unless you're desperate. Were on the cusp of a Sandy Bridge tier jump, Intel is finally dropping 4 cores as their mainstream mid-tier offering.

Ryzen is not a good option?

It's breddy gudd but a 6 core 12 thread i7 will piss all over it. By the time that comes out Zen 2 or whatever the fuck AMD are calling their Ryzen refresh will be out and hopefull have some tasty IPC improvements.

Intel new CPU will come out this year or was in pushed back?

Yeah that's the expected date for the Intel release, I don't think the Ryzen refresh is due until early 2018 though.

What do you think of this?

pcpartpicker.com/list/

whoops
pcpartpicker.com/list/pm3fzM

Case is overkill but if you like it go for it. None of your shit requires a casing like that.

What case would you pick? I currently have the antec 300, loved it but I guess I want something better looking

Case is pretty gay and expensive for how gay it looks, but if it's to your taste then it doesn't really matter.

Rest of the build is pretty solid though. If you decide to get a different case get different fans. Ones by NXZT, Phanteks and Corsair are pretty good.

R5
P400s
S340
200R
These are normally the cases recommended whenever someone ask.

If pcpartpicker lists my wattage at 350W and i got a 650W PSU am I fucked?

Yep, your PSU will deliver too much power and your system will catch fire.

is that Hellmann's Mayonnaise

No. Unless you want muh 50% efficiency but the money you spend on the better PSU will never match the saving from that little electricity.

Is it worth it getting a Pc if I only want to spend around 500 dollars on it

Depends what you want to use it for.

you have a keyboard, monitor, and a set of headphones lying around?

Shitposting, anime and a few games

Totally doable, even more doable if you go used with a few components.

I want to make a basic HTPC out of this machine: support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c02131097

What should I add to it?

VEGA NANO NIGGAS
twitter.com/pcper/status/891843635829809152

I currently own 1600mhz ram, does upgrading for 2400mhz ram worth it for gaymin or not ?

>nano
>thicker than a normal pcie slot
?

this gets sadder and sadder as he continues to post

Processor?
Absolutely

VEGA NEWS
youtube.com/watch?v=51SsMsUXTt8&feature=youtu.be&a

Is there anything wrong with this?
pcpartpicker.com/list/vKwrbj
And should i get a 1TB WD black or 2TB WD blue?
(I do photo/video editing, music production, light 3D modeling and gayming)

SSD + HDD

pcpartpicker.com/list/p6ttD8
How am I looking here boys? Getting ready to begin ordering parts. I've only got about $10 more than I'm already spending in my budget. Ripped an optical drive from an old 2005 PC that I think should fit in with this, though I don't really have any explicit plans for using it. Anywhere I should improve a bit?

fx 8370

I'm thinking about going Skylake-X
Stuff marked as purchased is what I could reuse from my current build
pcpartpicker.com/list/b6G3Yr
For gaymen and video work

8GB isn't really enough these days in my opinion, and it's dumb to go with only one dimm. If you can only afford 8GB ever, get 2x4GB sticks, if you might be able to get the pennies in the future for 16GB, stick with your current setup of 1x8GB and add another later.

Other than that, it looks pretty good.

>that psu

>Skylake-X
It's a housefire that will be irrelivant in 6 months, don't waste your time.

Also the Asus Strix and Gigabyte Aorus are better than the MSI Gaming and cost the same.

>It's a housefire that will be irrelivant in 6 months, don't waste your time.
Should I wait for Kaby Lake X but won't be at least a year?

>Also the Asus Strix and Gigabyte Aorus are better than the MSI Gaming and cost the same.
Better how? The MSI 1080 Ti with the Twin Frozr cooler is supposed to be the quietest air cooled 1080 Ti which is very important to me.

Got a better one? I was feeling iffy about it and the RAM.

Stop overpaying for trident g skill meme shit.

Corsair vengeance lpx 3200 is like 139$ +- 5$ depending on what color you pick.

>curved monitor meme

save up for 16gb high frequency. You'll thank yourself later if you want to pickup r5 when they're even cheaper.

pcpartpicker.com/list/XnZxBP

>Should I wait
I'd give it at least a month and see what Intel's pricing response (if any) is to ThreadRipper.

>Better how
Better thermals/noise. There are a few sites that have tested all three, I think TechPowerUp is one of them, the Aorus and Strix are the best. Unfortunetly I don't think there's been a roundup test yet like TomsHardware used to do where they normalise the temperatures and see how much noise a GPU needs to stay at that temperature, but the Aorus and Strix almost always come out on top in the reviews I've seen.

Honestly though I doubt there's much difference between them. I've got the Aorus Extreme card, I undervolted it as much as I could get it while staying at 2000MHz, repasted with NHT1 and set up a fan profile to run as close to 90C as possible. It's barely audible above my 600RPM case fans, even if a different card is 20-30% louder it isn't going to be a whole lot of difference.

I am adding an ssd later. But what should i get now?

So, is the Vega meme dead now, or will it actually be worth getting over a 1070/1080?

Just get the 2TB HDD, the speed differences aren't going to make much difference as once you've had an SSD anything slower feels like slow as shit garbage.

WD 1TB is the most value