Sup Forums how do you feel about Ham radio operating? For some reason it appeals to me...

Sup Forums how do you feel about Ham radio operating? For some reason it appeals to me. Communication with friends without the need for the internet or cell service sounds awesome.

I guess ITT General Ham Radio Discussion

What if you made a global network of independently-run HAM radio stations in order to form an Internet run without ISPs? I don't know much about radio; is there enough frequency space to transmit that much data? Is it at least theoretically possible?

I can guarantee you that no "communication" will happen over ham radio. Also, those people are not your "friends". Finally,
>no need for internet or cell service
So you're a neo-luddite.

Ham radio is a sad little mix of feeling like you're in control of the conversation because you can turn it off any time or spout some bullshit and then go to another channel, and also being way too scared to see the other person's face. It's essentially an even more luddite, retarded boomer version of IRC.

Damn.. someone was bullied when they were younger.

In the event of a disaster a ham radio would come in handy. Plus going innawoods, it would be neat.

It is genuinely useful if do outdoors stuff and live in a country that doesn't have 100% mobile phone coverage.
>being way too scared to see the other person's face
Ham tv is a thing

For any large network to be functional there needs to be hubs with orders of magnitude more bandwidth and range than normal users.

Is there a beginner's guide to ham radios

>Ham tv is a thing

neat

where can i acquire a ham friendly tv

be advised encryption is not allowed on amateur transmissions except under very limited exceptions (controlling a spacecraft)

meh, last time I lived innawoods CB radio was the thing. granted, that was a very long time ago.

arrl.org

you make one

Does anyone on g actually use ham radios?

What's the differenance between ham and CB radio

I actually have a General class license (that's basically the medium tier license). It's pretty much useless; you are calling in to random 50 year olds and going to be talking about the weather where they live, or if your connection is not strong enoguh you will just listen to other people having conversations. It's neat how the technology works, though. One more problem is that you need to install a pole in your backyard, which your family probably does not want.

Getting a license is very easy though. As already mentioned, arrl is the place to learn, and you can pay like 20 USD to take practice tests that use the exact same questions as the tests have.

practice exams appear to be free with registration.
t.passed the non-radio-related chapters with 90% first try

separate services, separate regulations. citizens' band does not require a license to transmit, but there are power limits and a particular band of frequencies allocated to the service, not that truckers usually care. amateur radio does require a license but has much more latitude in allowable transmission power and frequency.

Great counter

>in the event of a disaster
You won't have time to jerk off on ham radio.
>innawoods
you're like that typical range shit carrying a 30 pound rifle and your "bug out bag" doesn't contain any form of water filter or even food

So luddite shit

What did I say? no "communication" is going to take place over this. Just save us all some time and admit you're a failure and cannot fit in modern society and have given up.

HAMs providing communication between isolated pockets of people and assisting EMS is an actual thing that happened many times in the last decade.

>implying luddism is bad or something to be ashamed of
>when he was absolutely 100% right about his concerns

You would need a ton of expensive specialty hardware running at higher frequencies than what people normally use and limited to line of sight links (as you aren't going to have enough frequency bandwidth to get decent data rates in the normal bands people use). With high speed multimedia radio (which uses off the shelf wifi routers to lower the costs involved by a significant ammount) you would be extremely limited for bitrates as even with 802.11 AC and using every channel available on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz you aren't going to break 10 Gb/s, and that needs to be split between upload and download for every connection to that router so connecting to 4 different routers would shrink that to less than 1.25 Gb/s synchronous up/down which is very little for a backbone router.

With more common frequencies like the 70cm band, you only have about 30 MHz of bandwidth to work with and you aren't going to have more than 4 MHz of bandwidth to work with if you're going for non line of sight communications (keep in mind these numbers are for if you use the entire band, which hams would hate you for as it would keep anyone else from using it). For comparison, a single 802.11 channel is 20 MHz and there are several non overlapping channels.

>It's essentially an even more luddite, retarded boomer version of IRC.
That's CB radio.

>>innawoods
>you're like that typical range shit carrying a 30 pound rifle and your "bug out bag" doesn't contain any form of water filter or even food
Some people refer to normal hiking in unpopulated areas as "innawoods", and given that some of those areas have no cell coverage, carrying a radio for emergencies makes sense.

I guess this one time they used ham radio immediately undoes the daily terabytes of phone and internet usage

>defending being a neo-luddite on Sup Forums
Like I said, this is what you do when you've given up and can't fit in the modern era.

Want to know what's super cool, and out-hipsters both your shit... playing a chess game over snail mail. Oh and you can't use the post office you have to go through friends and when they just happen to be driving through states. So it takes 10-15 years to make one move. Wouldn't it be so fun, to be an autistic fuck and only respond with chess moves.

>Like I said, this is what you do when you've given up and can't fit in the modern era.
>implying that adjusting to a sick society is not an illness
You don't even know what Ned Ludd was on about. You just want to sell your crappy religion of progress stuff in here.
Like most amerifats you lack the creativity to do anything other than reenact the past in perfect period synchrony.
We can pick and choose. Progress is a policy, not an inevitability. If something doesn't benefit us, we are free to refuse it.
Nature bats last.

>I guess this one time you got in a car accident immediately undoes the thousands of dollars you had to pay for car insurance
>how pathetic, you should just drive uninsured

Bump