Not impressed. Why buy a card with double power draw for similar performance at the same price?

Not impressed. Why buy a card with double power draw for similar performance at the same price?

The prices should've been:

Vega 64 Liquid - $499
Vega 64 Air - $399
Vega 56 - $299

AMD truly delivered with Ryzen. Not with this.

Other urls found in this thread:

gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3004-rx-vega-64-and-vega-56-power-specs-price
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=CUDA-On-CL-Coriander
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

pretty hilarous considering the 1070 and 1080 are literally cheaper so amd doesnt have that going for it.

Why is everyone ignoring FP16 which no consumer Nvidia card has. It is twice the performance of FP32 and is a yuge block of die space. This and other features are likely where the power draw is tied up.

>they don't have TBDR enabled even for RX Vega launch
Hahahahahaha
Whaddyafuck.

Who gives a shit?

I saw the 1080 for $450 today and it's a far better card and has CUDA for pro applications that support it like Adobe stuff.

The only thing I would say is impressive on Vega is HBM2 memory to the masses, which is good because maybe Volta will have HBM2 as well.

>Vega 64 Liquid - $499

Buy the air edition and add your own water block.

Dat sandbagging.
I kind of like it desu.

I think the Vega 56 is pretty neat for the price as a guy who needs a mid tier rendering setup for a workstation.
The new WX series cards werent that impressive, but the low end Vega is really promising from a sheer price to performance ratio and the features it has.

They went the same way as with Hawaii few years ago, brute force performance with astounding power consumption.
At least Hawaii did well against competition, this one does poorly.

I guess you can't top score at everything, at least Ryzen is alright. That's a start.

>inb4 they left it turned off because the tdp would be even higher
Fermi 2.0 Red team edition

You're a retard. Water setups are very expensive.

AIO's are cheaper.

$499 for a fucking GPU slower than the 2 year old 1080 running hotter is fucking ridiculous.

>TBDR increases powerdraw
Hahahahahaha.
Stop it.
But anyway this is fucking retarded.

The prices are high because the miners will still buy it. Once demand slumps, there will be a price cut.

LOL, do you understand what double the performance is? A 1080 wouldn't beat this card in Computational tasks that only need half precision because a 1080 doesn't have a half precision pipeline and its full precision FP32 could come nowhere near to the double performance the radeon cards could perform.

In such a way, fuck CUDA. Were talking double the performance and there's already tons of applications that convert CUDA code directly to openCL that can run on radeon cards.

Could you name at least a couple?

Are you retarded?

It's only 31% faster than Fury X which was released almost 3 years ago.

Volta won't have any competition in 2018.

Bye bye gAyMD

tile based rasterization and power management is still not enabled properly in drivers.

gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3004-rx-vega-64-and-vega-56-power-specs-price

well

So the dreaded motto from AyyyMD?

Waitâ„¢

LMFAO kys

I'm enjoying my 1080Ti which came out months ago.

AyyMD is finished.

Oi what the fuck are they even doing?
Chocking on dicks?

well this pretty much explain what we all know till now..
vega is a bad motherfucker on drivers

That also explains RR delays but whatever.
This is getting silly, Maxwell2 delays level silly.
>w-we have to launch it
>b-but the features are not working
>l-launch it anyway

...now you get to Waitâ„¢ for proper drivers.
Typical of AMD, at least they will optimize it more with time.

>why is everyone ignoring meme buzzwords that don't affect the gaming performance of a gaming card
gee I wonder why, retard

So what's happening is that they need to work on the software to actually use yhe hardware it's equipped with?

I'm looking down the road..
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=CUDA-On-CL-Coriander

For now, there are packages that somewhat work. Not on par with CUDA, but it will get there.
I'm making considerations from an eval perspective. I already have hooks in the CUDA ecosystem.

FP16. Learn to read. Take FP32 performance and multiply it by 2.
Volta wont match that unless it has FP16. I'm not talking about vidya performance brainlet.
I use a shitty vidya for that because I dont want my room to be a clam bake.

GPUs are becoming more than just gaming cards and are being bought for more than just gaming pipeline performance which is why vega was unveiled at siggraph and not a vidya gaming centric venue.

Yes, that's the case with thing like TBR or the way they do culling.

>power draw is a valid factor

>Bought 1080Ti before etherium boom
>Expect to be pissed once RX Vega launched for real
>Poojeet dropped the ball

Fuck, even if I don't own Vega, I still feel so disappointed with this condition.

>AMD truly delivered with Ryzen. Not with this.
On point.

AMD screwed the pooch with this, clearly based on the slides, this was supposed to be a clean sweep but as per the VegaFE reviews where it seemed like all those new features were just completely absent - they're probably absent here too.

Either the drivers are fucked (possible since AMD, but not considering the current marketing) or something went wrong in the hardware and those features are broken at a hardware level which can't be fixed without taping out again.

Either way, the performance simply isn't there, these cards use 30-50% more power then equivalent nVidia GPUs whist performing and costing the same - moreover nvidia's GPUs are 12 months old now...

This is just embarrassing for AMD.

WHERE IS TBR IN MAH GAYMS YOU NIGGERS.
Also 45MB of SRAM on-die?
Dats HUEG.

>bbut it's got these expensive features so surely it's worth the money.
Not if it can't perform for price.

WHERE IS MUH CULLING IN GAYMS?

that's because zen was made by white man

>all these posts in broken English

So this is the gaming graphics card audience... woah...

Powerdraw != TDP

Yeah, because ignoring calculations somehow doubles powerdraw.

>ftw bought 1070 at launch and resold it 2 week ago for a profit
>bought a 1080ti anyway despite vega launching
>amd fan but knew it was going to be dogshit

Are u retard?

What about culling?
B3D suite benches showed Vega being slower than Polaris in geometry.

If i was going to of any of them, it's probably the 56.

WHAT ABOUT FUCKING CULLING?
DID RTG SAY ANYTHING ABOUT CULLING IN GAYMS?

t. mommy pays for electricity

>hash / cryptocurrency instruction

Vega will jump to 2000 USD.

Which would probably kill Radeon in the long run.

Miners eventually always move to ASIC. Do you want a generation that knows nothing but nvidia? Because that's how you get it. Then the ethereum hype dies and you're left with nothing.

>Miners eventually always move to ASIC.
No, most modern currencies are ASIC-proof.

eth is asic resistant, and hbm dosen't play well with it either

Currencies are proof against chips custom made to perform well against that currency?

>Do you want a generation that knows nothing but nvidia?
14 y.o.'s with 970 being their first card already know nothing but nVidia.

Radeon Packs:
>Pay $100 more
>$100 off a R7 and X370 meme board that is no better than a B350 but costs $100 more.
>$200 off a $950 Monitor that is available for $750 on amazon
>2 $50 games.
>Value

>1080
>2 years old
Are you people retarded?
It has been barely a year since 1080 was released.
True, AMD still has nothing on it, but hyperbole just make you guys look like retarded manchilds.

Can someone sum it up/link me somewhere that sums up what the situation is? Reading through the thread but I'm not sure who is serious and who is memeing. How much of an improvement would the Vega 64 air be over the rx480 and how does it compare against the 1070/80?

One pack may be a good thing for people looking at a CF setup anyways to grab the x370 board.

Let's see if you can get a CF setup without having to buy two packs, because I'd wager all the singles will be gone in seconds.

When will nvidia volta be released?

Eth requires at least 2gb of vram for caching. ASICs with high ammounts of cache would be expensive af.

Why wait for volta?
Whats wrong with the 1070 and 1080ti?

You can get bigger die for cheaper in Volta.

B350 cant crossfire.

Q1 2018

Yeah that's what I want, 600W worth of GPUs.

only 5 years ago this was norm

And thank god it stopped being the norm. No reason to go back to that shitshow.

It has better tech and more potential than 1080/1070. 56 seems pretty good price/perf wise at 210W.

B350 can Crossfire. What B350 can't do is SLI.

You are overestimating the power that will be consumed by the cards tbqh.
Most games won't have both cards @ 100%
Tho, You shouldn't even go CF or SLi because they are utter garbage.

Supposedly the idea is to have a deal thats bad for miners.

RX Vega 64 has identical memory bandwidth and slightly more FP32 than a 1080ti. I was honestly worried it wouldn't even get past the 1080 so this is a pretty nice surprise. Will need to see the reviews obviously but there's still a chance I won't have to go nvidia on my next build

If the card is profitable for mining, it's profitable at $100 more as well, so that's meaningless.

Yeah, go crossfire with a 4x pcie 2.0. why be flawless

It is, when your high tdp card turns your room into a sauna.

they're braindead kids shitposting and shillposters idiot

a lot faster

Not even similar performance. Nvidia pays for devs to use game works features. Anti competitive or not you are literally a fanboy if you buy AMD. They lose at every single price point.

No, t. first worlder, where I can freely leave the lights on and not worry about going bankrupt.

That's what AC is for

Do people not get this shit, honestly? Nvidia lets AMD innovate with a new architecture that ends up being 2 product cycles ahead of devs / everyone else, nvidia matures process on a stable dev friendly architecture for 2 more product cycles, which basically gives them free engineering power to develop a "new" gen architecture while AMD struggles and shits itself with terrible market share and even less dev support outside of synthetics and one or two AAA titles.

its really amazing nvidia has been able to do this for better part of a decade without amd catching on

Call me when nVidia can make a proper CPU.
No, housefi- i-i mean Denver does not count.

it's OK now you can buy AMD-branded GTX1070 for $500 and it will use 350W just like you always wanted :)

Yeah, with diminishing returns, shrinking userbase across every category, impossible license fees along with competing with a company's unethical behaviors that almost rival nvidia's own. I think being the defacto dev unit for nearly every single auto OEM's autopilot setup, having a higher margin than anyone else in the electronics space and market share in every category that has long term growth

I think they're probably gonna be ok not making a cpu man

>I think they're probably gonna be ok not making a cpu man
Nah, ASICs are already killing nVidia's attempts at meme learning.
Fujitsu's meme processor and Crest Lake will end it for good.
gl hf Jensen.

>has to split budget between processors and graphics
>up against a jewing company that has a monopoly on the market
>still beats intels ENTIRE cpu lineup despite all the disadvantages AMD had
>delivers sub-par graphics card with high power draw
>"HURRDURRRRP, HOW EMBARASSING, AMD ARE FUCKING IDIOTS"

Come back when you're 18 pls

>caring about anything else when already have a ti
Admit it, you just wanted to bitch about amd no matter what.

More like a chip designed for modern crypto work would look almost exactly like a GPU without texture units.

Because of this

Which begs the question: Why isn't AMD making a polaris chip without texture units?

It could affect the performance if games were written for it.
But as it was proven over and over again: if all the cards don't support it, no game will use it.

>Why buy a card with double power draw for similar performance at the same price?
SR-IOV

1 card?

Why couldn't they make culling and TBR work for today's launch?
They focused a little bit too much on pro stuff.

Probably because the twenty dollars they save per chip cutting down the game-specific features likely to be worth enough to justify a whole new production run. Cryptocurrency markets are way too volatile for most companies to be comfortable investing in them.

How does vega compare for say cracking password hashes?

I want gaymers to leave this board. I want miners to suppress gaymers.

A brand new fast card priced the same as the currently overpriced older cards? Sounds good to me... Maybe if this weren't the year of bitcoin bubbles it would be different.

Our glorious thin client future awaits.

I'd rather get freesync and open drivers? That's my case, but that's not the only one. What, do you buy shit from the Walmart kikes?

>295W
>345W

AYYMD HOUSEFIRES

>I saw the 1080 for $450 today
And I saw a spotted unicorn flying across the sky. Your point being? Don't give me that shitty rebate dead link again.

>tfw bought a 480 for $199 with a free game, and got a 144hz Freesync panel for $179
>didn't sell to miners so I didn't have to worry about getting a replacement gpu that might not support Freesync
Polaris is the shit for Average Joe. I would have loved to see a super cheap ~1070 performance card from Vega though.

>I would have loved to see a super cheap ~1070 performance card from Vega though.
That is the 56 cu version. It's $400 which is still $50 cheaper than the cheapest 1070.

Store retailers are selling it for the equivalent of $450 in my country, its a 2 yr old card with a successor right around the corner, plus it's holiday season, which us when most cards sell. Why is this so unbelievable to you. I'm not the initial poster BTW.

>Only available in certain territories
AMD hates Europe