So i'm attending a coding bootcamp this month, it's a 4 month program...

So i'm attending a coding bootcamp this month, it's a 4 month program. I imagine I'll be finding a job in webdev within 4 months of completing said bootcamp.

I hear average salary for my area is about 75k in webdev. What are things I can do to increase my chances of landing a better paying job. Also upon getting hired what are things I can do to increase my appeal to a company and get paid more.

Along with this, how does developing ones own app work? I have an idea, I make it, I try to get it picked up through apple or some shit? What does someone even get paid for that?

In general I just want to know what I can do to make more money

>pic filename

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITT_Technical_Institute
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>memejob
>expects to make $75k off the bat
Do you have an amazing linkedin, a degree, certs, and 4 years minimum experience? If not, then good luck bud.

>4months
>expect job
>75k

Congratulations you got scammed.

>coding bootcamp
LOL
tell klossy i said hi
>>>/reddit/

Expect to find an internship in a startup company after 4 months

Honest question. Do you even have an IT related bachelors/masters? Do you really think some scamcamp will help you in any way whatsoever aside from emptying your wallet?

>What are things I can do to increase my chances of landing a job at all

Get a university degree.

I've got literally jack, I'm hoping to have a good portfolio after completion. Also praying that career services can work wonders at this bootcamp.
idk what any of that means but I don't go on reddit
thanks for being helpful. this wouldn't be terrible.
I've got jack. bachelors in basically communications. Scamcamp seems like honest to god best option for me. Really have no work experience and still have no direction, but i'm ready to be a workhorse.

the place I'm going to has a pretty comprehensive job report on what everyone does after completing the program. The numbers look solid and I don't think it's fake since they've gone to all sorts of lengths going through the gov't to make sure everything is legit.

Dude...skip the camp and go back to school. This is your best option. Trust me.
After you get a legit degree, try to get as many certifications as possible, get an entry level job for experience and then your chances for a high paying job will increase significantly.

>but i'm ready to be a workhorse
Fuck that, look at it more as being an artist

the way i see it is that I've wasted 3 years doing nothing, so whats another 4 months and load of money. Worse result is i get some shite job where I get paid 45k a year. At least I'll be working. Can't I get some certs once I'm working?
hey I'm pretty creative, that's part of the reason why I was interested. But also because I don't mind being a mindless drone code monkey(if thats a thing)

Go full stack developer, you can be in any poswition they need any time. And it will help you to identify in wich areas you are good.

Try 25k a year...
And why waste 4 months getting scammed out of your money instead of using that time getting a DEGREE? And yes you can get your certs whenever.

>So i'm attending a coding bootcamp this month,
>I hear average salary for my area is about 75k

>I've got literally jack, I'm hoping to have a good portfolio after completion
>going through the gov't to make sure everything is legit

>whats another 4 months and load of money.
>Worse result is i get some shite job where I get paid 45k a year (!!!!!!!!)

Fucking hell, user. Make it less obvious next time.

>I imagine I'll be finding a job in webdev within 4 months of completing said bootcamp.
Thanks for a laugh kid! Yeah, I'm sure you'll be able to get a job after 4 months of that shit.

Remember ITT Technical Institute?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITT_Technical_Institute

These coding camps are same types of scams.

Haha that's fucking hilarious. I didn't even know ITT Tech filed bankruptcy. I can't believe people fall for scam schools like ITT.

it is a fullstack web-dev program. but maybe it's dumbed down or whatever since everyone seems to be against this.
It's a start, and I can always build up from there(getting certs etc.) wouldn't you say?? I don't want to spend 2+ years getting another degree.
are you saying im baiting? or im being baited? i've no clue.
i seem to recall ITT and phoenix university too.
if these coding camps are such scams why wouldn't more people speak up about it? I read pretty positive results about them and like I said this bootcamp seems pretty transparent with their jobs report

Certifications are a meme. I knew someone who came out of makers academy in old street (3 month course) with a £38k job, one year later he was on about £50k. No degree. No "certifications" (which certifications for web dev btw LMAO). He was a music teacher before he became a programmer. I don't have a degree and my earnings are basically the same as my colleagues with degrees, I'm just considerably younger. I say go for it, these guys don't know what they're talking about. The job market for programmers is piss easy if you actually work hard and aren't a shit programmer. If you're a shit programmer, you won't get work. If you're good, you will.

Some people seem to think that applying to 50 or 60 jobs is "a lot of rejection". You should be aiming to apply for that many every couple of days.

In my opinion, instead of going for useless meme certifications in fucking terrible enterprise software, contribute to popular and widely used open source projects instead. Smarter headhunters and even some internal recruiters trawl the contributors lists for major projects. If you interview at a company and they're technically already running your code it's a huge foot in the door.

Coding bootcamps are quickly going out of style, companies realized the people who graduate from those hellholes are literal code monkeys who will write you dumpster fire tier code, although it will compile. Do yourself a favor and just get a degree.

Also, depending on your integrity this may or may not matter to you, but webdev is no longer programming. With all the frameworks and npm nodes, it's literally just a game of google -> copy & paste -> pray it works with some shitty networking mixed in.

Where do you live OP? I would check out your local community college for continuing education courses regarding programming.

If you're near Austin then I recommend their community college. I got a paid internship after completing my classes.

expanding on this, bootcamps are the definition of taking a turd and polishing it and splashing some perfume on it. whether you like it or not, computer science is a branch of mathematics, which takes critical thinking, a good intuition, and patience. none of which can you develop in 4 months.

>webdev in 4 months
AHAHAHAHAAHA you really think that faggot?

>I can't believe people fall for scam schools like ITT.
At least ITT was accredited and was offering some type of certification. Coding camps are completely unaccredited which means you can't get loans and you can't even get certifications of any kind.

>why wouldn't more people speak up about it? I
They are. You're just not listening and don't want to know.

If you want a piece of advice, try to get your money back ASAP before you start this shit.

What is webdev? All of my internship experience is in asp.Net web applications. Is this webdev? Is it less prestigious and lower paid?

>With all the frameworks and npm nodes
>webdev is no longer programming
i can tell you don't actually do webdev, or at least if you do you're a total retard.

Several years ago when bullshit JS spaghetti was in fashion I'd have agreed with you, front end web dev was not programming. Luckily, we now have frameworks like React which LET us treat languages like javascript as if they were real programming languages. Web dev (or at least frontend) looks more and more like real programming as time goes on. This paradigm then means that backend programming becomes more and more geared towards APIs and languages such as Go and Elixir (using Elixir in production at my day job to serve a fuckton of requests), which means the memey languages that aren't really programming are getting pushed out.

What you're saying used to be true, but as Javascript has evolved, it's looking more and more like real programming.

OP doesn't want to waste 4 years and a shitload of money just for a piece of paper.

OP needs coding experience. I recommend reading certification books on a a more well known language. After that, work on some github projects and gets good portfolio.

>begins a sentence with "so"

webdev is basically what nearly all "self-taught" people go into, it's considerably easier than app or embedded development, more saturated and paid less

I can assure you that certs are not a meme. Just cause you and some dude you know were really lucky doesn't mean certs are useless. Albeit a degree/experience is far more important. Regardless, certs should only be used to add to a resume, not the focus of a resume.

what the fuck is a cert? I thought those were just for retard IT dudes where you take a 300 hour course to have a piece of paper that says you know how to ping a server through cmd line

>it's considerably easier than app or embedded development
i've done app development, i've done embedded development, and I've done web development and I'd say they're comparable in difficulty. Depends what kind of webdev you're doing. Some of it really is difficult.
>webdev paid less than embedded
I'm a DevOps engineer now, but back when i was a "full-stack engineer" I was paid 1.5x-2.0x what my friend was getting paid who was developing embedded software and chip virtualisation systems for ARM. webdev is paid a lot if you get into the right parts of it.

>more saturated
if by "saturated", you mean "has such a talent shortage they're hiring people fresh out of 3 month coding bootcamps" then sure lol

Certifications usually require you to take a test to prove your competence, but some require experience. Any jackass can put all kinds of IT skills on the resume. Certs basically prove that your skills are legitimate.

the military hires embedded programmers with EE or CompE degrees fresh out of school starting at like $130k average, I dunno man. Different fields, have to look in the right area I suppose.

I get paid 200k a year to shit out javascript right out of college.

>were really lucky
how is it luck? please tell me. they are throwing jobs at warm bodies all over the world. I just took a contract at $70/hr, remote, with flexible hours and i didn't even have to interview. are you gonig for your first job or something?

It really depends. If you're going for startups or mid sized companies, certs aren't worth shit without a good portfolio.

A certification shows that you have a basic understanding of the language and it's conventions. Some of the certifications are crazy specific and don't really apply to normal projects that you'd see in a job.

>posting on Sup Forums at 4 AM on a worknight
sure you do, bud.

see this is a response i like. I plan on milking the career services to fuck after i finish up the program and yea I'll probably be applying to as many positions as possible. I don't mind working hard since i've been putting it off my whole life.
i figured as much, but i'm trying to get on before the ship completely sails. I only see myself working in the biz for 4 or 5 years before i try moving on to something else.
nyc, but like i said i don't want to get a degree in something that I only want to work in for 4 or 5 years.
you can get loans for it though
this is neat advice thanks man
so whats the problem?
sounds like I've got a good shot then
this is cool
i wish
what if i work IT for a place like ernst and young?

It's 1AM and I usually go to work at 11AM.

I taught myself to program and to be honest I can think of better problem solving solutions compared to my mates who did comp science.

Program is about designing, understanding, production, implementation, and maintenance.
As time forwards people may introduce new stages.

Thinking as a computer programmer is simply a way of finding a solution. It does not mean you are a good programmer. You need to practice logical designs and programming. No course teaches problem solving since practice is the only teacher of that.

A few books -
Algorithmic design can be learned from "the art of computer programming, design patterns, computational computer science"

Specific programming languages are easily found on google. C++ is a cunt so start with C first (if you go that way).

HTML/CSS/Javascript is so fucking easy to learn and make. Teach yourself the basics and learned effective UIX of UI and best practices.

Don't fuck with being lazy and wanting to be a webdev/programmer.

For me I wanted to do computer science but I have an iq of 71 and maths works of my cognitive impairment. So one day I wanted to design and program using a simple sorting algorithm and utilise a GUI program.

Since I made an original idea and had no idea where to begin I had taught myself had to think of a problem and solve it using modern methods.
It is easy for someone to say make me a program that does that. Where it gets hard is when a person wants a program to do specific tasks and yet be limited to other specific tasks. Understanding constraints are where this coding schools fail to teach people.
>No don't fucking assume I want my text centred.
>I didn't specific it so compile a list of questions and ask me you cunt

All of this is my opinion but I sure have learned a lot from wanting to make something without using Internet searches and using basic language syntax and design rules

I think you meant you get paid 200k good boy points from mummy to get her java (coffee) in the morning.

No I get paid 200,000 United States Dollars. The embedded pays a lot meme is dumb.

>thinks that aren't exactly as I experience them first hand is a meme

Yikes. I thought you Silicon Valley boys were supposed to be critical thinkers?

I'm not even in Silicon Valley.

>claims to make 200g fresh out of school
>it's 1AM for you, meaning west coast
alright champ, you're either in Palo Alto or Redwood, or you're full of shit

It is nice to have a degree but expanding your abilities to program using logical idea generation is something that consistent practice allows.

I had no idea of sorting algorithms so it took me a few months to understand how it worked in theory and how I could write the algorithm in code.

Web design was the first language I taught myself. "language meaning web languages"...
PHP was a bit of cunt since it is a string slut.

Again if a guy who has is on the edge of borderline intellectual functioning I have to wonder how easy it would be for others to do the same, if not better way.

I'm not in California. Whatever keeps you awake at night thinking that your 1337 skills in C is worth more than the average codemonkey.

Honestly mate, I would pay my programmers 75k as average if they pass the interview process. Having shit code is not acceptable.
I am hiring managing in research and development btw.

There are stupid kids that have degrees because mommy and daddy paid for them. I'd say you definitely stand a chance.

Bootcamps alone won't do much, you need to show that you understand what you're doing and be able to explain why you're doing it.

sounds awesome, hire me plz
that sounds reasonable to me.

so whats the general consensus? for the most part you guys have been telling me not to attend and to go to college and get a degree. But lets say I do land a job, should I just be a hard worker and work on github projects? Also whats the deal if I want to develop my own app, and what are the returns on that? I have a pretty good idea that hasn't been used as of yet