Opinions on "Elementary OS?"

Just testing the distro for a bit since I've been hoping back and forth for simplicity, since i lack general knowledge of coding languages required for Arch (and subsequent distros using the engine) and Debian (mostly the basics of setting up a desktop environment) so thoughts?

It's basically stale Ubuntu repos with a shitty postmodern DE over it
>mactoddler's first distro

If you want simplicity install Solus

"simplicity" turned into a scam the day eOS devs created their own appstore.

>i lack general knowledge of coding languages required for Arch and Debian
What kind of languages are these?

Elementary is shit. It's buggy DE and restricted system settings - just use Ubuntu Gnome and tweak DE to look like Mac if that's what you into.

Sounds like you lack knwoledge in general. I recommend reading more.

literally poorfag macos without anything that makes macos good and slow dev times because the devs are up their own asses about 'design' (they still dont know shit tho desu)

First off, go learn the basics, OP. Get Ubuntu and any Ubuntu book with good reviews. Read the whole damn thing and do what it says.

The eOS guys really made a mistake to invest in Vala and Gtk3. They should have picked Qt. With QML they would have been able to iterate on their DE, basically the selling point of the distro and the only reason you would donate them money, quicker.

You're better off with macOS

Plus you also get this

not even the dark mode, NEETs

>dark mode
lmbo

It's Ubuntu with a gimped GNOME 3 DE installed over it by arrogant devs.

1) Install Ubuntu GNOME
2) Go to extensions.gnome.org
3) Download and/or enable the Dash to Dock, Applications Menu, Dynamic Panel Transparency and User Themes extensions
4) Install a theme and icon pack from gnome look or something

It's Elementary without needless restriction (even compared to GNOME) and outdated libraries. It's easy to rice Linux and make it look good. Elementary is for lazy people that don't know how or want to pretend they have a Mac.

Let's see.

Really dated, for one
They take stuff from people
THEN they have the gall to call people thieves if they legally download their system for free
Really as a concept it's decent and they got some things closer to macOS than anyone else has achieved, but these people are a cancer that should not exist. I'd rather be left without that.

Hello Kevin Parnell.

Hello user Ymous

>call people thieves
When did that happen?

There's very little reason to use anything but debian, mint, ubuntu, fedora, redhat, centos, arch, or gentoo.

It's neat and clean. I genuinely like it but a good majority of the default apps aren't very good if youre a "power user." Replace them and it's not a bad operating system.

>Dock
Replace it with Docky
>Email
Replace it with Thunderbird
>Browser
Replace it with Chromium/Firefox
>Music
Replace it with Banshee or Rhythmbox
>Video
Replace it with VLC

The desktop environment is arguably a decent mix of style and efficiency. If you are familiar with the OS X look and feel then you'll understand it.

It's a good Linux distribution to coax a "normie" into Linux.

>hoping back and forth for simplicity
gnome3
>general knowledge of coding languages required for Arch
kek
>and Debian
top kek
neck yourself boi
you haven't seen any of this OSs

this

It's fucking shit.

Mr. Ymous for you.

No u

agreed.
Though, Pantheon does have some original features like window manager. It also has a media player with thumbnails on a timeline. That's nice

Big guy

No one has mentioned that you don't have the option to add third-party repos out of the box anymore?

>scam

You can set the price to 0$ in their store and get apps that way, also the only apps they will sell have to be FOSS and it is really just a donation system for the developers of the app.

What the fuck? You can easily put off that design with Ubuntu and GNOME with the arc and arc os x themes.

and they fucking charge $10?

> Can't operate a website

How the fuck did you even wake up this morning you dumb cuck?

Hi Nick

if you really want a cohesive experience please use kali linux, that is the only distro you can use, leet haxors

when will linux icon pack makers into actual design

I just wish "Linux designers" would create something original and stop ripping off Windows/macOS/Android. I guess that's part of why Arc is so popular, but even that has become boring and cliche at this point.

Wtf kevin i remember when you were shilling solus??
where did the days go by

kevin detected

Oh, quite a bit ago. They soon edited that but I'm paraphrasing, what they said exactly was “We want users to understand that they’re pretty much cheating the system when they choose not to pay for software”, textually. They then edited that blogpost for damage control.

That was in 2015 but yeah, nah. They can go suck a nigger dick. I bet they love and and daydream about that.

It's not even that complex. I can understand linux programs themselves not looking that great because that requires much more design finesse & general patience to deal with the open source community. But it's just icon packs. A billion icon packs ideas you can take from anywhere but all we get are "material design" or some muted macos take.

Yeah unfortunately ever since numix and arc they've been doing the same fucking thing. It's like people want to actively make their desktops look like smartphones. Ironic given that many of them used to complain about modern desktops turning into fisher price shit for touchscreens a few years back.

>coding languages required for Arch

what

Don't you get it? You need to understand at the very least how to program in assembly to be able to open an mp3 file in arch I'm fairly sure

This is actually Kevin
I'm with macOS now

I like it. I wish I could put stuff on the desktop, if I could do that and a few other things I would use it as my main is on NY laptop because it just looks so nice and works pretty well.

look at the pic you posted closely
that System Settings window does not have any business having a scrollbar and the icons positioned that way

I just tested on my local install and that has been fixed.

It's for homo people. If you are real man you download openSUSE and not fagotry like that.

The bistro that keeps Vala alive. Can't say anything about its DE, but judging from it using GTK it won't be that good.
t. GTK user

it looks good until you install other programs and it clashes with the look of the environment.

what did you do to your thinkpad w530 tho :(

Speaking of Elementary, what's a good photo viewer with basic editing options like its default one

It's still my Linux machine, I have Solus running on it.

There's a couple apps that were """made for Elementary""" but any GTK3 app that conforms to GNOME's HIG fits in nicely as well. I've used Fedora in the past and limited myself to GTK3 apps that support GNOME's top bar and it's really not that hard to live with Qt/GTK2 programs if you're that much of an autist. Exceptions have to be made for shit like Steam (but GNOME Games is going to pick up support for Steam, apparently) and Firefox has a couple extensions that let it fit in if Epiphany is too basic.

Kevin im confused
What happened to Solus?

>i lack general knowledge of coding languages required for Arch (and subsequent distros using the engine) and Debian
What the fuck? You don't do any programming at all when you use those distros lol. You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. I recommend you try those out first to clear up these misconceptions you have.

It's on my Thinkpad

>> Can't operate a website

What the fuck do you mean Nigger?

Just set the payment amount to $0 you fucking retard.

I give them credit for what they did, at least they tried to costumize it a bit harder than ubuntu fags did.

I run arch and I do not know how to program

ubuntu gnome is better

Just use Ubuntu 17.10 or 18.04 when it comes out.

Also, Solus is better.

Also, if you can afford it, macOS is better

everyone here will complain but I set it up on y laptop for six months

really fucking nice. the environment is actually nice. other than that its ubuntu. definitely recommend

Hello Daniel Foré, didn't expect to find you on Sup Forums, please stop shilling Elementary, it's a failed macOS clone using a cheap knockoff of GNOME.

I am loving eOS. It does everything any other Linux distro does and looks good while doing it! There are some bugs, but some researching and troubleshooting can go a long way.

Note: I'm not in it for the Mac style interface. In fact, I hate the Mac interface. Although there may be aesthetic similarities, the functionality is completely different.

BTW, you can disable the dock if you don't like the dock, ya fucks

Hello Daniel Foré, didn't expect to find you on Sup Forums, please stop shilling Elementary, it's a failed macOS clone using a cheap knockoff of GNOME.