Western Digital housefire hard drives

WD hard drives is literally a house fire.

And people fucking shill for this company because Seagate had one (1) shitty model in 2010.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Toshiba-3-5-Inch-SATA3-Drive-DT01ACA300/dp/B00B229W04
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>black residue on the outside of the hdd enclosure

Let me know how those cheap Chinese molex/sata cables work out for you OP

On my second WD, this will be the last one.

When will people learn it's HGST or bust?

this, bunch of retards in here lmao

/thread

sample size: 1

More looks like you put some burning substance on the HDD for virtual internet points.

>2017
>still using spinning cans of rust

Are the 1Tb and up mechanical hard drive no longer having failure issues any more.
Been a while since I've been on the market, but my 500Gb external dirve is almost full and looking to expand.
>Too poor for solid state drive.
>Got two 500Gb drives from fried laptops, plus 500Gb external drive.
>Thinking 3 hard drive RAID Making a 1.5Tb Drive affordable.
Thoughts?

1tb models are pretty solid. Haven't tried 2tb, but I know 3tb+ is prone to problems. I think 2tb might be safe.

Thanks for the input, will keep in mind.

I wonder who owns HGST

Every ps4 owner

2TB from what I understand are good to go. If you get enterprise grade stuff, 3TB and up are fine. I have a few video recorder servers at work that have like 12 8TB drives running on them. Haven't had to replace a drive yet, knock on wood. Consumer grade though aren't quite there yet.

I still don't trust seagate

PS4 uses HGST?

That's what he said.

Currently have a Spinpoint from 2011. I'm considering buying a new HDD to bring a little of the quickness back to my PC until I feel the need for a whole new build.

What's the go-to 1TB drive? Barracuda or WD Blue/Black?

I'm going to buy this: amazon.com/Toshiba-3-5-Inch-SATA3-Drive-DT01ACA300/dp/B00B229W04
How fucked I am? I'm not paying like 50 bucks more for a WD Black.

>red
Good. That's why I bought purple.

I have my green WD since 2012
it's shit but it still lives

I agree with this statement.
Got "my book" around the same time.
Still my most reliable storage.
I only back up on it every six months.
Any thing else important I don't want to loose in the meantime gets put on a thumb drive.

Forgot pic.

>2017
>people are still using archaic spinning discs

>2011+1+1+1+1+1+1
>spending money on a collection of silicon chips that output high and low signals when electrically stimulated

Got mine around 2011-2012
My connector broke, got a HDdock, was unreadable but after a format it works great for over 2 years now.
Great for keep your coffee hot.

>2017
>spending money in a more efficient manner than in a less efficient one to please the arbitrary standards of faggot memesters on the internet
scooby doo

>Won't stop being edgy.
How does this make you feel?

you 3D printed Save button?

Too niche. Memesters will still hate anyone using these, even for those niche uses, but it's just not a thing. Also, it's older than a lot of them.

Memesters need something they are personally familiar with. This is why they won't memerage when they see, say, an LTO tape drive, because it's totally beyond them, they don't even know what it is.

A few years ago, the object of hatred of memesters in regards to data storage was optical media. This was very much the case in 2011 or so. Now that SSDs are still falling price and cloud storage is becoming even more of a meme, USB flash drives and HDDs are being hated right now.

From late to 2016 to now it has slowly gained traction. By 2018 until 2020 memesters will very toxic to HDDs, like said optical media between 2011~2013, then the aversion will become slowly less aggressive but still present for years to come.

Eventually, the new generation of memesters 10 to 20 years from now won't even know what a HDD is. It'll probably still exist in its own niche use, like tape, unless it hits a hard limit that makes it excessively inferior to both tape and SSDs, then it'll just die naturally.

Anyway, that's the meme cycle for you.

HGST and WD are still separate entities. They keep their processes separate. HGST still uses processes handed down from Hitachi.
Sad to see Sup Forums is anti-seagate too. I've had 5 WD drives in my life and they all fail within 3 years. I use Seagate exclusively now, they work exceptionally well except that one bad model number.

Atleast I have seen them in the 500gb and the first productions of the 1tb. The HDDs are also more slim then normal HDDs in height

I've never had a Seagate that didn't shit its pants. It's not "one model", it's literally all.

WD, like every other American company, just had to follow the CUT MOAR COSTS FOR MORE LE PROFITZ meme, which means inconveniencing your users with inferior products for marginal gains.

Meanwhile, HGST and Toshiba have kept the noble tradition of Japanese quality and reliability, and respect of the Bushido.

HGST and Toshiba are the only good brands left.

> Seagate had one (1) shitty model in 2010.
Bullshit, they still go out of order more frequently than WD. The problem is BMH contacts, I think, they corrode faster on Seagate, maybe they use shitty copper or something,

>still uses processes handed down from Hitachi.
buy hitachi?

Except Toshiba is hotter in use than WD. Not that I have an issue with either. I bet you faggots ran stuff that kills your hdds early. It's not the drives' fault.

i was memed into buying four of those 8TB WD externals for $159/ea.

>Japanese quality and reliability

kys weeb

Bullshit, and HDDs are perfectly rated for working even at 50 degrees, a temp that's hardly if ever reached in a home setting.

And "stuff that kills your hdd early" is a bullshit excuse that makes no sense.

If your drive requires you to write only in very small bursts two hours a day then it's a shit drive, fact.

It's a joke, faggot.

>2004
It was IBM's fault that the Desktar (aka Deathstar) drives were awful. And even then shit like Maxtor was waaaay worse (which, surprise, was bought by Seagay).

Also, that was more than 10 fucking years ago. Hitachi has since then fixed the Desktar years ago.

Hitachi or don't bother shilling.
Everything else is literal trash.

The harder you work it, the quicker it will degrade.
If you baby it, it'll last forever. (At least that's the dream)
You'll learn one way or another.

>stuff that kills your hdd early
hey guys I put 500k miles on my car and stuff started breaking I am not at fault for assuming it would last forever

>Seagate had one (1) shitty model in 2010
They had more than one...

But then again, if you're only running one brand of any drive, you brought this on yourself.

Thar be some chink shit in there somewhere. I've literally been using WD for almost 20 years. I was a teenager when I built my first desktop. I've only had one drive fail out of dozens. Statistically it has to happen sometime. No HD is 100% fail-proof. But none of them have ever caught fire. You fucked up somewhere, OP

It's not nearly equivalent. The mechanics of a HDD are much more stable and spinning it 24/7 is no more damaging that constantly stopping and spinning it up (which is worse in fact).

But mechanical failures aren't even the most common issues, it's usually the discs itself or occasional the drive controller. There's no limits to how many times a sector may be rewritten, it's a magnetic disc, and "too much electrons" flowing won't make a difference in the controller's life, so it might as well be permanently on.

they don't even make good coasters

>implying it's not all chinkshit in different colored packaging

A cable is a cable, especially at such low voltages.

And a sata cable wouldn't even do this, retard.

>a cable is a cable

Get the fuck out of here. There are generic cables that fray, tear apart, to burn up your electronics. Not all are the same. Go to the gas station and buy one of those no-name chargers on the counter and use it for a couple of months.

>spinning it 24/7
Just stop talking, your idiot.
The hhd only spins to get information over to the ram.
It literally starting and stoping all the time you use it.

To run nonstop would burn out the motor and start a fire
>Op' problem solved.

>What is a seedbox?

Your mom, basically.

Seagate has a model literally named after the house fires it caused

No, it doesn't, you dumb poseur fuck. That only happens if your system is configured to stop the hard drive every few minutes and/or you have a power-saving saving model that does that on the hardware level, regardless of power settings.

Even PS3 and PS4 have Hitachi in them.

get toshiba

Strangely, no.

The Hitachi-HGST-WD situation was weird, vut the result is that HGST is tops.

My SSD has a silent spin feature. So quiet.

What's the least shit hard drive manufacturer?

I've got a 4TB WD Black and there's no-backup data on it, I'm panicking rn what is this about what problems do they have oh fuck

Toshiba drives make more noise than WD Black.
Toshiba drives supposedly use HGST tech while somehow being worse, not sure about this.

I'm tempted to buy the Barracuda Pro 8TB, anyone have this model?

WD Black is a good drive but very expensive and it makes too much noise, I have 2x2TB WD Blacks.

Deskstars in general weren't even that bad, it was just one manufacturing defect in the 75GB model that caused enough failures for IBM to say "fuck it, we're done here". Which has kind of been IBM's general motto for the last two decades.

4tb ssd master race here. Spinning hard drives are for poor fags.

>noise
fuck off kid. my fucking 3tb black is silent.

hard drive noise hasnt been an issue since the 1st gen 10k raptors. now THAT drive is worth mentioning the sound

I've personally used dozens harddrives over the last 20 years and literally tens of thousands professionally. I've found that no matter the reputation of the manufacturer, eventually they will fuck you. At this point I've been fucked by just about every manufacturer. I've been fucked so much that you can use my ass as a caddy for 3.5" drives now.

>I've found that no matter the reputation of the manufacturer, eventually they will fuck you

Truer words were never spoken on this board. Of course nobody will listen and revert to memeposting.

you're deaf

So just buy any brand, make backups, and hope the drive doesn't break?

I feel like HDD brand reliability talks is 99% memery. It's mostly anecdotal shit and even with higher sample sizes it often comes down to different models of the same brand having different failure rates.

I've only had 2 drives fail on me so far. A 4.5GB Quantum(or whatever they were called) and a 40GB maxtor like 10 years ago. I currently have 4 WD reds and 1 old 1TB WD black and my only complaint is that the black is kind of noisy

Any kind of discussion of brand loyalty is going to be down to people's random one-off experiences, but at least with hard drives we have data from large cloud storage providers using consumer drives broken down by model. The data may not generalize across a brand's entire model range, but Backblaze's results do seem to recommend HGST 4TB drives, at least.

Wrong.

It's not a meme, they're more reliable than seagate
friend had both his 250 and 1tb die recently and they're not older than 5-6 years

One bad model might be a meme, but I'll never buy another Seagate.

3-4TB HDDs have a bad rep because when they were new, Asia got hit by a storm or something that knocked out many drive factories, resulting in less than ideal drives getting pushed out to a demanding market. Consequently, many more failed than normal and now people hate 4TB drives.

Also, a pack of 4TB HDD's raped my dog and killed my wife. Now I dress as a bat to take back the night.

mine uses some toshiba. switched it out to use as a main in my laptop. honestly its the best hdd ive ever owned over wd, seagate or hitachi

Bought 4 of these back in '10. 3 in one purchase so that I could run them in RAID 5. Had one fail less than a year in but didn't know about the model defect, figured it was just a fluke, so I bought another and rebuilt. A few months later two failed back to back before I could rebuild again and I lost everything on that machine. I will carry that grudge against Seagate until the end of time.

underrated post

I have a Toshiba X300 5GB and 6GB. They are great. Not the fastest. Not the quietest. Not the coolest. But good value for their sizes. They are quieter than my 2TB HGST by a wide margin.

Are these a meme? Considering using this alongside my ssd.

>alongside my ssd.
Wat?
They are meant to be used instead of an SSD. They are for people who can't afford one.

I have a Toshiba 5tb and it works just fine. Still healthy even after a couple reformats. Got it because it was cheap. It's too bad that Toshiba is selling their storage business, I just hope that western digital doesn't get to buy it.

They still read write faster than hdds, would be where a lot of games and media will be so I figured the load speeds would be worth it. Opinion?

I wouldn't buy from WD if all my old 8 year old drives weren't still working and the only seagate drive I bought died soon after the warranty expired.

>They still read write faster than hdds
Why would you think that? They are just normal HDDs with a tiny flash drive where the controller copies what it thinks are your most used files for faster access.
An SSHD is like having a normal HDD alongside a very small SSD which you don't have direct access to.

>wear and tear on micro usb/lightning shit having anything to do with build quality

How the fuck is a sata cable going to fray you fucking mongoloid?

>he bought the bad model

lol

HGST and WD are NOT separate entities. Integration started 2 years ago and the HGST brand can be freely scrapped as WD pleases by the end of this year. Whether they scrap it or not I don't know.

Their model lines have already gone through merging procedures too. WD Golds are identical to HGST Ultrastars. Maybe not all of them are merged, but it's only a matter of time now.

>Fell for the raid 5 meme
>Fell for the "raid is as good as a backup" meme.
You probably know better now, but I'll inform the summerfags:
Raid 0, 1 and 10 are the only levels really worth using. 6 is acceptable but not ideal. Never use 5, as tempting as it may be. Always keep an offline backup regardless. Raid is not a backup, it's an availability and/or performance tool.

>Why would you think that?
b-because that's what they told me!
seriously though should I just get a HGST for storage and be done?

The cables are placed in a mold which is then filled. When this is done by chinks for fuck you wages there's bound to be a bunch that will short out.