/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for select gaming scenarios (ask if unsure)
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/fZGxJV
pcpartpicker.com/list/zY4CRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/MnZtf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/wGgs3F
youtu.be/lolWyt_-6EQ
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/y2sZbj
amazon.com/gp/product/B072M34RQC
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>i5
>for any reason
>intel in general

when will vega benchmarks be out

Does the number of PCIe lanes you have SLI going through (8x or 16x sli) matter? Documentation says that 8x is half the performance of 16x, so when I buy any CPU that isn't an i9 with 40+ PCIe lanes am I losing a lot of performance?

I want to buy Ryzen, an M.2 and do SLI in the future. But Ryzen only has 24 PCIe lanes which would mean:

8x - GPU #1
8x - GPU #2
4x - M.2
Total: 20 with 4 to spare for some other card

Which is great, unless 8x sli is horribly inefficient compared to 16x.

If your son has requested a new "processor" from a company called "AMD", this is genuine cause for alarm. AMD is a third-world based company who make inferior, "knock-off" copies of American processor chips. They use child labor extensively in their third world sweatshops, and they deliberately disable the security features that American processor makers, such as Intel, use to prevent hacking. AMD chips are never sold in stores, and you will most likely be told that you have to order them from internet sites. Do not buy this chip! This is one request that you must refuse your son, if you are to have any hope of raising him well.

Reminder that AMD is communism

Fucking stop. You're the cancer of this board. This is Sup Forums, go back to with ur "communism" and "muh shekels" you autistic fucks.

This board is a pure cancer.

do me a help
fix clock_watchdog_timeout error
plz respon

dead

>Go to buy monitor
>Realize it's gold-brushed
Why? Just why do they do this tacky bullshit? Does it appeal to nip nong ching chongs or something?

gonna pull the trigger on friday when i get paid

do I have everything I need? (already got an SSD and HDD) am i missing any cables or w/e?

apparently the fan I've got here is a bad pick for my case, any other suggestions?

I just need a nice (AMD because nicer on Linux) GPU (for gaming even) but they're sold out everywhere. Is this because of coinmining or something?

Fuck it. I give up shopping for monitors. I'll just stop using computers. Shopping for tech products is such absolute bullshit. I hate it.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/fZGxJV

How do I make this cheaper without losing performance quality?

vega
ive seen mixed reports that drivers are ass or even non existent though. I'm biting my nails waiting for more information

How long for GPU prices coming down?

NEXT GPUS WHEN???????

If I'm dualbooting Linux with Windows then what's a good Windows OS?

Never ever

windows 7 to avoid a headache
10/ltsb if you want slightly better performance

wtf I want msi now!

Which one isn't a botnet?

I'm on Linux so I have enough driver issues as it is, thanks though

All botnet. That being said 7 is a lot nicer than 10 but 7 will end up losing official support a lot sooner of course.

also for
is
650W gonna cut it or should i go higher on the PSU?

building a pc for my mom,
pcpartpicker.com/list/zY4CRG
is what I got so far. The only thing she needs is to be able to run the Corel Photo Suite.
I'm looking for an ok case with two external bays for a cd reader and the second for all the phone memory shit. which I'll just take out of her current one.
The monitor is one we'll already be using and I already gave her current computer an SSD but it's looking the like motherboards about to die.
Is there anything else i should get or that you guys recommend?

now that we have some specs out for the x399 mobos, what are Sup Forums's favorites? trying to decide what to go with right now.

bumping

Anybody got any advice or experience on Zotac as a GPU brand?

They look decent enough, but I'm wary.

> pull the trigger
> memelake
> just_burn_my_house_down.exe

ffs

What gpu to get 1440p 144hz ultra in pubg?

So long as windows 7 remains the minimum on Steam, who gives a shit about Micro$hit closed garden crap.

two 1080tis or two 1070s SLI if SLI is supported in game

p sure a single 1080ti is enough, iirc the game is super processor intensive due to the poor optimization

used PSU y/n?

no

Indians

Big NO NO

remove the cooler, wraith spire is good enough
apart from that, you can't get it cheaper if you want to keep performance unless you want to drop to a 60hz monitor and get a cardboard box pc case

>gaming
>on linux
stop trying to give your Sup Forums boyfriends a boner and install windows you push over cucket

Not him but I game and haven't had a Windows installation since 2007.
Stellaris, XCOM, Civilization VI mostly.

Someone I know owns a trading store and he owes me 3000$ off of a shitty bet, now i can't really ask him for cash and he offered me any pc below 3k$.he has very little tech knowledge so I have to pick something prebuilt. Basically what is the best prebuilt rig I can get below 3k$ ? Can any poo in loo help me because he is dealing in india and I don't know anything about prebuilt pc's availible in india. A part of mwhat just wants to get an alienware and call it a day.

i5 6700k or i7 7700k for gaming?

Without price being a factor.

PSUs and hard drives are the only used things I don't fuck with.

Any more suggestions for good monitors ~$150?

which ones better?
b350m or ab350m?
whats the difference?

no difference I've found.
They're both B350 boards.

also curious. so far they all seem the same

should I get msi or gigabyte?

MSI

Just installed a lighting node pro. I'm pretty much a walking meme at this point.

I hope you actually just use those for subtle back lighting.

pcpartpicker.com/list/MnZtf8
Any thoughts on how I can improve this before I pull the trigger?

They're definitely too bright now. I just installed them, haven't messed with any color profiles yet. Gonna read up and mess with Corsair link later.

So it comes down to either:

A 24" monitor with a TN display w/ 1ms response time.
-or-
A 23" monitor with an IPS display w/ 5ms response time.

The 24" is just a standard ASUS monitor with the fun features.

The 23" inch has brushed gold as one of the central colors. It's a sacrifice of speed for accuracy and better picture, but it also features a color I hate.

Also, none of them are actually the size stated, because monitor companies are lying cocksuckers who inflate and include the fucking bezel in the measurements. So a 23" is actually a 21". Because fuck you.

Unless you're into competitive FPS gaming, get the IPS.

I was going to order it earlier, but I really fucking hate the color. I hate gold. I fucking gold. Like, to an autistic degree I hate gold.

Ok, think I have this down, is this a good build?

pcpartpicker.com/list/wGgs3F

Get one without gold?

I'd rather wood paneling than fucking fake gold bullshit. Tacky-ass gold uglyness.

The one I was looking at only comes in gold. I hate digging through a million monitors by every company trying to figure out what's the best at the moment. They all make too many products.

Also, is it an issue that IPS monitors have really bad backlight bleed issues?

What's the best cooling for a 7700k?
I was looking into AIO liquid cooling but started looking at Noctua's nh-d14, but now i'm just confused as to what to get.

Samsung 850 EVO

Kingston UV400

or

Kingston A400?

Someone explain this. A hyperthreaded dual core should not have better average performance than 4 physical cores

youtu.be/lolWyt_-6EQ

read the fucking op
no i5

Here's my current build

I have a GTX 980 Ti in place atm for my GPU instead of the GTX 1080Ti, I'm looking to get one real soon in a few days but I'm researching which one would probably be the best for me and my usage. Which GTX 1080Ti is the best bang for buck in terms of high performance and cooling capablities?

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/y2sZbj

The GTX 1080Ti in the link and screenie is the one I'd like to get but I want to see other opinions which GTX 1080Ti is actually favoured by you faggots

>i5 6700k
kek

I just got a 240GB UV Kingston delivered today. Great price..was like 85 dollars from Amazon. So far so good but obvs just got it.

Instructions per clock and single thread performance. Intel has better IPC, and better single thread performance.

But in everything else Ryzen pretty much destroys it.

They could have really closed the gap if they hadn't left the Ryzen at stock speeds.

What's the best sound card for a true audiophile such as myself?

definitely Intel 540s

correct. Besides. GTA V is an old game> look at more modern games, and Ryzen wins hands down.
Games are becoming more and more multi-threaded every year. Intel won't hold onto the gaming crown for long. They can't compete with AMD on multi-threaded performance.

wife's son*

>getting this triggered

None. 7 is less botnet

Install GNU/Linux.

is WD Blue still the best HDD in its price range?
or should I get something else instead?

That's not my question. How are 2 cores out performing 4 cores when games are allegedly being bottlenecked by 4 core i5s and most people claim ryzen 5 1600 is the minimum for games. There's either a lot of misinformation being spread around right now or these are some major outliers. I'm leaning towards the former though.

Depends on what you value

Quiet operation & long warranty: WD Red

Just outliers on an old game that prefers single threaded performance.
Look at more modern games. Ryzen always wins.

All the 7 games that were tested had the i3 in front. Even in BF1

depends on when you're looking. They're pretty evenly matched.

But once again that doesn't make sense. It's constantly being said that games right now are being bottlenecked by 4 cores yet in a game which is supposed to be very well optimized for 4+ cores, the 1200 still gets beaten out or at the very least matched by an older locked processor with only 2 cores.

It's being beaten out because they're still both using 4 threads. The Intel chip has more Ghz, and more IPC. When they're equally matched on threads on most games, the better IPC is going to win, even if slightly

Does HP make decent monitors?

amazon.com/gp/product/B072M34RQC

HP does nothing decent.

Best ATX Z270 motherboard for 7700k?

Anyone have any input?

2 fake threads don't make up for 2 physical cores my friend

Shame. I like the idea of a cheap IPS monitor with full mount versatility, but there are no real reviews. None.

Either the Asus Z270-A or the MSI SLI plus

>implying when gayms actually start using 6+ cores Intel won't release 6 core mainstream
>what's that, is i5 8000 series 6-core?
>also implying intel doesn't have the money to "support" game and software devs so they give you The Way I'ts Meant To Be Computed©®™ experience
>implying implications

forget to add that it needs vt-d
these specs are a pain in the ass to search

whats the difference between these two
AB350M-HD3 AM4 ,
AB350M-D3H AM4
it's only the 2 dimm 4 dimm right?

What's with the rambling? Nothing you said made sense. It's like trying to listen to Donald Trump talk about what was actually in Trumpcare.

saved same money up for this new build. Old one became useless. Anyone got any ideas to improve or parts that i should change?

>inb4 ryzen meme

Also, gtx 1070 is impossible to get anywhere for a normal price. Thanks miners

x370 is only worth it if you're going for multi gpu. Also any psu over gold is meme. Ditch those 2 and buy a better monitor or smth.

not plat because you can get fanless

X370 is only worth it for SLI.
1700X is worthless. Get a 1700. Comes with a decent cooler too. There is no difference between the 1700 and 1700X beyond base clocks. They overclock the same.
>but I want muh 4.0 Ghz!
The use a Gryorig H7. No need to spend double the price on a hideous Noctua fan with no additional value.

And don't get the WD Black. It's noisy. Just get a WD Blue 1TB or a 2 TB Seagate Barracuda.