Obscure Operating Systems

Alright Sup Forums, I've been trying out as many operating systems as I possibly can. I'm mostly looking for stuff that has a GUI available and isn't widely used. It can be discontinued or in active development, closed or open source. I'm just doing this for fun. Here's what I've tried so far, mostly in emulators:

>OpenBSD
>FreeBSD
>TrueOS
>Slackware
>Gentoo
>Debain/Hurd
>9Front
>Windows Longhorn
>OS/2 Warp 2-4
>eComStation
>Android x86
>Arca Noae Blue Lion
>BeOS
>Haiku
>Kolibri
>MenuetOS
>TempleOS
>Solaris
>OpenIndiana
>ReactOS
>AmigaOS
>SkyOS
>Syllable
>MINIX
>AROS
>NeXTSTEP
>RISC OS

I've also tried most of the mainstream GNU/Linux distros, every OS X version since 10.1, every classic MacOS version since System 7, and every Windows version since 95. Is there anything else I should try? Please no bully.

Other urls found in this thread:

harvey-os.org/
programatica.cs.pdx.edu/House/
redox-os.org/
hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/
theisozone.com/downloads/misc/freeware/unz-fm-towns-marty-emulator/
doperoms.com/roms/fujitsu_fm-towns/Towns%20System%20Software%20V2.1L51%20%281995%29%28Fujitsu%29%28Jp%29.zip.html/599818/Towns System Software V2.1L51 (1995)(Fujitsu)(Jp).zip.html
openingupnorthkorea.com/downloads-2
ghostkernel.org
pedigree-project.org/
github.com/mosa/MOSA-Project
dex-os.github.io/
helenos.org/
github.com/fuchsia-mirror
sortix.org/
rbt.asia/g/thread/59945016
gerigeri.uw.hu/DawnOS/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ToaruOS

Thanks. Looks pretty good.

debian/kfreebsd
dragonflybsd
ghostbsd
freedos
dr dos

GuixSD
NixOS
QubesOS
netbsd
remixOS
cyanogenmod
aosp
aokp
rockbox

PureDarwin

Looking for an OS to run in virtualbox, needs to be lightweight to enable running several instances for connecting to individual irc servers or such like for reasons. Thanks in advance

OP here. Just use something like Lubuntu or Debian with some kind of lightweight WM.

Thanks I was thinking this would be the way to go

Do you just want to try them all so that you can say you've tried them?
Have you ever done anything with one of them besides booting it up?

I just want to explore them and see what each one looks like and just poke around a little. My favorites have been Haiku, Blue Lion, and RISC OS. I use Fedora 25 with XFCE and Mac OS X Sierra as my main desktop operating systems.

Source Mage

Maybe later. I've really come to hate source based systems after installing Gentoo. I'm autistic but not that autistic.

Okay. sounds good.
Here are some that haven't been mentioned yet
harvey-os.org/
Harvey OS, which is trying to be a modern distributed operating system inspired by plan9
programatica.cs.pdx.edu/House/
House OS, an operating system written in Haskell. I've never tried it myself, so I'm not sure if it even runs.
redox-os.org/
Redox OS, an operating system written in Rust which is actually still in development. People are actually trying to get it to a state where it's a usable system.

+1 internet for you.

What software did you use for emulation?
How do you get the OS images?
Are they free?
How many images can you swap between at a time?
Is there an overhead whilst you install the image?
How long does it take to try a new OS in a virtual environment?

>What software did you use for emulation?
QEMU with AQEMU as the GUI.
>How do you get the OS images?
I download them from different websites. I just search for what I want and eventually I find it.
>Are they free?
Most of them are. I paid for Blue Lion ($99) and eComStation ($145).
>How many images can you swap between at a time?
What do you mean? I can make as many VMs as my hardware allows, which is maybe 15 Ubuntu VMs if I give them 1GB of RAM and 1 core each. I only run them one or two at a time though.
>Is there an overhead whilst you install the image?
I don't know what this means? I have a pretty powerful desktop so storage, RAM, and CPU are never maxed out.
>How long does it take to try a new OS in a virtual environment?
Like two minutes to get it set up, and then however long I feel like playing around with it.

Try elementary Os, imo, most comfy, rest are memes

Tinycorelinux.

try plan 9, then plan b, then inferno.

I did and I wasn't really impressed. It's not terrible but there's nothing that it offers that I really want.

I've tried all kinds of Plan9 forks. They're pretty much all the same except for Inferno which was kinda boring. In all honesty I don't really like Plan9.

Thanks user this looks even better

b is actually pretty different from concept and softwre standpoint.

redox

Those colors gave me an aneurysm.

There's one I've seen on Sup Forums before that I think is called SweetOS. There are a few webms of it floating around, but I guess I didn't save them.

Anyway, there were animated graphics of a cartoonish dog and some other stuff on the desktop that were just really unsettling.

If you google it, probably add -cheetos because there's a similarly named flavor of cheetos.

I've seen it. It's just concept art like pic related. Pretty cool but fake.

Get fucked, frogposter. gb2/b.

Kill yourself, faggot. You can't even speak English.

EEEbuntu

>QEMU with AQEMU as the GUI.

thank you for your informative post

This, I have it on my laptop

There's a japanese OS they use on a bunch of embedded stuff, has a GUI too, can't remember the name though

TRON/ITRON?

wait, that's still around?

Devuan netinstall, use irssi to work from tty if you can do without xorg or install vtwm

Yeah, is great

By the way OP, try FreeVMS and FreeDOS, I can't imagine anything more different

Illumos is p. compheee

try Hannah Montana linux
hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/

Has anyone managed to get hold of INTEGRITY, specifically INTEGRITY-178B by Green Hills Software?
I hear it's the highest classification in secure/realtime operating systems and is used on at least a few "weapons platforms."

Does it do anything beyond point and shoot? Don't sound too useful.

FMTowns

That's amazing, is there an ISO available anywhere?

I haven't tried this yet, but first you will need an FM Towns emulator (Unz) and then you'll need to get Town OS (second link, I think)

theisozone.com/downloads/misc/freeware/unz-fm-towns-marty-emulator/

doperoms.com/roms/fujitsu_fm-towns/Towns%20System%20Software%20V2.1L51%20%281995%29%28Fujitsu%29%28Jp%29.zip.html/599818/Towns System Software V2.1L51 (1995)(Fujitsu)(Jp).zip.html

how's qubes? been looking at trying it the past week or so but haven't really done it yet

>for reasons
what the fuck kind of reasons? are you just going to chat with yourself on irc across multiple vm's to pretend you have friends?

also this seems obvious, but have you done ms-dos yet? only mentioning it because it seems like you're going for every os under the sun

try to get your hands on Red Star OS (aka, 붉은별 사용자용체계)
may be a meme or a virus, but could be fun
openingupnorthkorea.com/downloads-2

Also one of the best DEs

Take a look at Pharo. A tiny Smalltalk-based OS with its own VM.

It also has a GUI (completely written in the Pharo language and completely customizable on-the-fly).

Red Star is a real OS. Seems to be quite decent as well, with implemented tracking functions.
Seems cool.

>Red Star OS

Thanks for the vtwm suggestion user

If you do not know what this can be used for, do not worry about it m8

I've been collecting a list of meme operating systems

ghostkernel.org
pedigree-project.org/
github.com/mosa/MOSA-Project
dex-os.github.io/
helenos.org/
github.com/fuchsia-mirror
sortix.org/

There was something called PonyOS, I think.

dont forget freevms kek
also redox

PHANTOM OS - totally object oriented OS. In linux, everything is a file, in Phantom OS, everything is an object. Available in english ports

REDSTAR OS - Like linux, only communist. Created due to the direction of our generous glorious leader

>ctrl-f "red star"
3 matches

>filename

Hikarunix, FreeDOS and PuppyLinux

Conehead OS

It's similar to TempleOS in that it was created by a mentally ill man using a programming language that was created specifically for the OS.
Here's an archive of the last Sup Forums thread about it.
rbt.asia/g/thread/59945016

The guy's website seems to be down again, but it'll probably come back up within a week or two.

MS Xenix
ForthOS
Coherent
AUX
System V release 4 Version 2 for PCs
Genera

Also X68K HumanOS with SX-WINDOW.

Also you could try BSD/OS.

there are many dumb pepes in this thread

OP here. I'm now interested in this because I can't find a download for it anywhere. I've checked several public trackers and searched Google and Startpage for it. I also asked some people on IRC and they couldn't link me to anything. In fact, I can't find much of anything relevant outside of the company website and a Wikipedia page. Looks like software for airplanes.

I found this neat but frustrating because I don't speak Japanese.

Yes, I've tried MS-DOS. I play games in DOSBox all the time.

This is on my list.

I've tried it before but forgot all about it. The UI is pretty polished but I don't speak Korean.

Now that one was interesting.

I can't find this one.

>I deliberately entered a thread of things that I do not like and I am now upset
>how could this possibly be happening to me
Have another one.

when did i say i didn't like dumb pepes you dumb fucking pepe

You should try plan 9 and inferno

Blow it out your ass.

I have.

Here's another one
DawnOS aka the subleq operating system
gerigeri.uw.hu/DawnOS/

Ubuntu Netbook Edition
Windows CE Versions
Windows Starter Editions

They're fun to play around with

How is Gentoo an "obscure" OS? Google uses Gentoo based servers.

In the Desktop field at least.
It sticks out of the rest and isn't quite popular

Longene, an operating system kernel intended to be binary compatible with application software and device drivers made for Microsoft Windows and Linux. In order to accomplish this, key features of the Windows kernel are ported to the Linux kernel.

LUnix, short for "Little Unix", is a Unix-like operating system designed to run natively on the Commodore 64 and Commodore 128[2] home computer systems. It supports TCP/IP networking (SLIP or PPP using an RS232 interface). Unlike most Unix-like systems, LUnix is written in 6502 assembly language instead of C.

JNode is a simple to use & install Java operating system for personal use.

Thanks. I'll try out Longene. I'd like to try out LUnix but I don't have a Commadore machine, so I'll try a few emulators.

Reminds me of Lovebug/Loveshack. Now THAT was interesting.

Conehead is actually just the newest version of Loveshack.

>all those useless systems

For what fucking purpose?

I don't seem GEM in there (old PC and also on Atari). Would that count as interesting for you?

I have seen it, but do not have a copy. INTEGRITY-178B is only one tiny part of a baseline embedded system. On its own, less functional than even most of the toy things here. Used by NSA's "Data Diode", contracted via BAE (the firewall boxes which separate the NSA secure networks from the internet) and some older realtime aerospace control systems, but not the newer stuff.

It's pretty uninteresting. Maybe look at seL4 instead.