/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-1730-radeonsi&num=1
github.com/redox-os/redox
link/to/jewtube
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>before bump limit
no

First for Void GNU/Linux

Real new thread:

How do I learn how to use systemd?

made some void papes a while back (4)
bumping for void

daily reminder what arch users look like in real life

Shit thread, saged
Everyone wants the thread to be renamed to /flt/, fuck off stallmanfags, no one cares about you

fuck off nigger, it's called GNU/Linux for a reason

why do we have 3 threads?

I think you mean GANOO SLASH LINUX

#is my fstab entry correct?
#i want compressed btrfs to store marinaDB
#baza0
UUID="77e859cc-5d59-4ff2-9cd6-5af5e9270f7f" /mnt/baza0 btrfs defaults,auto,user,compress=lzo 0 0

gone for two weeks, Sup Forumseddit spillover tries to schism muh fglt.

What the fuck happened and how bad it is?

Looks fine friend.

/fglt/ itself was the schism you fucking retarded Jew lover, now fuck off back to Sup Forums and cause your schisms there

kthx

>Everyone wants the thread to be renamed to /flt/
Yeah, you and the two of your autistic friends. Everyone.

Of course I remember that, before /fglt/ this general was a massive piece of shit full of drooling manchildren asking for windows and android advice.

/fglt/ served it purpose for a long time and filters undesirable content (like the forementined android tech support) and it's the ONLY non-cancerous general on this board.

82 people in the last thread. Nice try kike. Go back to Auschwitz any time.

Because you posted it before the post limit like the autistic little child you are so "yours is on top lelelee XDXDDXD" and people not paying attention to things like that did the rest.

Exactly how you tried to make faglet legit, kike. Now go back in the oven.
Sage

Anyone tried kernel 4.13?

I'm not the one who insist on force his retarded preference for androshit garbage and other non-GNU/Linux operating system.

Sage

What the fuck is going on with Devuan project?
Debian 9 was released over a month ago and there's still not a single rumor of Devuan 2.0 ever becoming stable

probably me (i dont remember but i have sorce in /usr/src :P)
why u askin?

huh?

Keep on strawmanning, kike. That's all your tribe is good at. Then we throw the strawmen into the oven with you.

Shut down by the NSA
bad goys didn't use systemd

Apparently Linux 4.13 + Mesa Git RadeonSI just got a performance boost
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-1730-radeonsi&num=1

>n-nno u XD
>k-kike look mom new offensive word XD
great fucking argument there dearest friend.

You forgot to call me a nigger and a spic for good measure.

But telling me I forced android is literally a strawman, I never did anything of the sort. I just can't stand you GNUjews and your unwanted garbage in my tech. Get out of my website, kike.
I'm glad the anons of this general have started resisting your Jewish tricks and kicking you out like you have been kicked out of Europe since day 0.
Sage

I'm still not getting the gist of what purpose does AMDGPU/AMDGPUPRO is supposed to serve.

if AMD was keen on working with the community why not ditch efforts on muh unique snowflake drivers and use your expertise as the source of hardware itself to refine what the community already has?

>i-its the evil jew kikes taking over!!!

Sad image of a Sup Forumsedditor.
Jesus Christ.

AMDGPU PRO is open source though

guys, i need good OS for my raspberrypi. raspbian is nice but patching sudo took over month...

user, if you don't like this thread why won't you go back to the one you made? You are purposefully subjecting yourself to the things you don't like.

I want to try out some operating systems on my main computer, namely Redox, GuixSD, Haiku and FreeBSD. What hypervisor would you recommend? I remember having used QEMU+KVM a long time ago but if I recall correctly it was a pain in the ass and the commands were horrendously long. Suggestions?

I'm here to derail it like you are trying our one

Well as far as I understand the "baseline" driver for 2D graphics necessary to be able to graphically install the system is, the "PRO" bit are the extensions.
Whether true or not I still don't get why they can't just go the intel way and be fucking done with their drivers

I need to bring Sup Forums in here. Give me a minute pls

Dunno about haiku but redox works fine with KVM/QUMU
github.com/redox-os/redox

>not including ponyOS into list

Intel graphics are far simpler than that of AMD/NVIDIA. You see, you already have mesa-git for generic drivers.
AMD's in-house drivers like amdgpu pro are for specific kernels and tuned for max efficiency

Are you referring to the process of patching and rebuilding a package?
It's quite complicated on debian, true.
RPM-based distros are a lot easier in this regard, the

Try Devuan, they maintain ARM images.

kek

>and tuned for max efficiency
I can see that.

I looked it up expecting that it's just a fork of some distro but apparently ponyOS has its own kernel kek
>tfw you don't run 4.0.2-mlp

i mean after secu-bug was fond it took long time to upgrade their repository.

does devuan-arm contain kernel that support GPIO and other single board related staff?

I can **(((Install Gentoo)))** but i afraid kernel compilation will took long time

actual benefit in learning and using gentoo? Or is it just a waste of time?

What are some cool terminal commands?

Jews are inferior though. You wouldn't call a malevolent virus superior because it's good at infecting people. You would just call it an annoying fucker.
By your logic, herpes is superior.

>I can **(((Install Gentoo)))** but i afraid kernel compilation will took long time
There's this thing called offsite compilation, you don't have to do it on the underpowered machine.

If you have to ask, probably not for you

curl wttr.in/zurich

genkernel all took about 2 hours last time I tried.

Man I'm tempted to try this on manjaro

>If you have to ask, probably not for you

that's a pretty great logic.
Do you continue to stick dildos in you ass when you have to replay?

tfw

>offsite compilation
good point...
looks not that bad.

thx guys.

mpv -o /local/dir link/to/jewtube

you again with your ugly gnome shell...

:^)

Why there is so much hate on Tor?

I know perfect security is impossible but its not reason to make surveillance harder...

pic figuratively rel

It's just NSA/anti freedom shills

ulimit -u
never get fork bombed again

What are the great dangers of installing the newest kernel versions available?

There are no great dangers.

Now, that Arch is going to leave 32bit, with which distro should I replace it on my t60? I'm a long time Arch user, is Gentoo my only option? I'm a bit scared from the source based distributions, because of my ancient cpu.

If you're so fucking smart why haven't you looked for your answer already?
Even the fucking gentoo website/wiki lists you the advantages of it you cumguzzling faggot.

Debian supports i386.
Devuan jessie has announced support till 2020.

Aight, time to update to 4.13

Question: Is there a reason for it to leave 32bit? What are the benefits of that?

What's the best way to burn .iso files to USB drives from CLI?

Hey there, was just wondering on what distro to use. Im mainly a graphics designer ( mostly blender and gimp) and play some casual games from time to time. I know there is no perfect distro and I can literally install these packages on any other distro. I just want to move away from Ubuntu Studio for a bit and wondering about other good pleasant experiences

Rate my terminal separator animation.
for((i=0;i

its dangerous to keep old kernel :v

Manjaro

>wondering about other good pleasant experiences
There's only pain. If you want productivity, stay on Ubuntu

Because some asshole decided to make a /flt/ thread the other day.

>free kevin
who?

orgasm/10

Anons, what sandbox techniques are (You) use?
i just ran that commands as user that have no privileges to my files, but as far as i know its mot enought due to existence of Synthetic X events and probably other issues

But muh Ubuntu is boring. Any distro can run blender and gimp flawlessly for me. Open source amd drivers works amazing for me so I don't need to worth about that

bugs + regressions

What processor in your T60? My T60 is 64 bit.

Focusing development on the future where 32 bit computers are irrelevant.

>Pokeball Linux
They don't even have automatic partitioning in their installer. Even Debishit has this figured out in their non-graphical installer.

Listen, I support Void. It seems like a really, really good concept. But for fucks sake it needs the massive amounts of dedicated developers like Ubuntu or Fedora has. Maybe the lack of systemd scared away all the pajeet-tier developers and that's why its so slow.

troll posting

It's okay to have a bug in the kernel if its such a new bug no one knows how to backdoor it yet.

And by the time they figure it out, you'll have upgraded to the next kernel with different bugs in different places.

Which kernel?

xcalib with an .icc profile only seems to work for a very short period before reverting back to shit. What am I doing wrong?
Arch, T420 TN, memes.

4.13.0rc2-1 in Manjaro.

Manjaro keeps telling me "update your kernel sir, sir, you have kernel updates, you should probably update the kernel. I keep telling you, there's-" I'm running the LTS kernel (4.9.39-1) and I've been thinking about it, that is all.

Grub is not showing open suse
any idea why ?

Nice try, NSA.

how to find all new files from the last 7 days in a directory?

He probably has Yonah core, and it really is still 32-bit. T60s also have 64-bit Meroms.

Just buy Core 2 Duo T7400 or T7600 off Ebay. Those are the fastest 64-bit CPUs compatible with T60.

smrt.