/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this purpose for safety reasons.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with Linux.

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, duckduckgo, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
Trying to run Linux on an old computer?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
explainshell.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1061546-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hello I am running Debian 9.0 with the 4.11 Linux Kernel with a Ryzen 1600x

If I start doing a lot of things (many tabs open, ssh in multiple terminals, GIMP open, etc...) my computer locks up

I read that I might have to disable C-states, but I kinda don't want to do that.

Any friendly help for a femanon?

You might wanna run a full memtest.

>Ryzen
enjoy your buggy microcode
forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1061546-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html

anyone here running a GNU/Hurd based distro?

>Hurd
Even Redox is at a later stage of development than Hurd at this point.

>full memtest.
passed
Literally this person did the same thing as me
> Then I switched down to 2x8GB of CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 and OC'd it to 3200MHz 16-15-15-15-36 @ 1.35V and I haven't seen a Segfault since. I've compiled GHC, Chromium, and Firefox multiple times each.

I have the same memory kit that I OCed with the same timings to 3200

Stay jelly intelfaggit

>femanon
>ryzen
>trip code
There are just so many things wrong with this post.

Anyone use Debian with Docker? How is it?

Also good work on re-renaming /flt/ back to the correct and original name. GNU trolls need to fuck off back to sucking fat ugly Jew dick.

;)

GUI with remote desktop on a web server.
Yay or nay?

Whatever poorjeet, enjoy your IPS

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

based stallman

/fglt/ is here:

Every user must report the thread this links to

why do we have 4 threads?

Thread spamming GNU haters.

t. shitty apps guy.

Go back to your thread

sup reddit

We don't, this is the only legit one.

The "/fglt/" one was created before bump limit, and the other /flt/ was created way after this one.

>The "/fglt/" one was created before bump limit
learn2count

Manjaro installs TLP by default.

Is it good on a desktop or should I remove it for slightly faster boot times?

Bump limit on Sup Forums is 310, you newfag.

plz halp

New thread post was 311. As said, learn2count.

Kinda late for:
Busybox
musl c
clang
llvm

Never too late to shit on GNUjews

also disable copy-on-write since it's counterproductive for databases

Does anyone here use NixOS or GuixSD? Care to share your experiences?

GNU=commies, the exact opposite of jews you retarded drone.

lol, Jews invented communism you asinine cunt
Back to the oven you go

It was 310.

>its the jews, they're out for our money!
>its the jews, they want to destroy capitalism!
kys retard nigger

Ok kid, it's time to go back to Sup Forums. Tech illiterates like you are not welcome here.

>they're out for our freedom! wtf! I never asked for this! fuck gnu, here are some replacements!

I'm a programmer, as I'm the kind who gets paid for my work, nice try though kike.

JS isn't programming

It can be though it's not what I do. Stay mad neet Jew.

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument.

Should I run hardened linux kernel with arch?

There is no hardened anymore. grsec is proprietary

How about zen?

what is the most secure linux kernel for linux?

GNU Hurd

GNU Linux-libre

This,cause literally nothing works on gnu hurd.

learn2space, dumb phone poster

>cognitive dissonance

Hi.I loose partial internet connection after 1d13h uptime on linux mint.I have tried
restarting the network manager
restarting the router
restarting the modem but only restarting the computer brings back full connection.
>what do you mean by partial loss of internet
I can browse Sup Forums but cant connect to captcha,can search google,but no site opens outside of most used sites with errors-no comment section etc.
I have no idea where to look.

Your router/modem is shit

>using linux on bare metal
no offence but, lol, linux is nice to tinker with but for serious business use windows

Then why does restarting the computer only solves my problem?

Debian HURD

Just reboot, works flawlessly.

can I install linux on android?

You see i rather go back to windows than restart every 2 days.Thats why i try to solve,it cant be a big problem i think.

Debian GNU/HURD*

Is fedora retard friendly? Does debian have any advantages over it?

So, OP is the one making the anti-GNU threads?

>tfw Alpine
>no one actually talking about alpine

To busy using it

-Posted from my Alpine Linux Computer

I'm using busybox :^)

>tfw borg seems to be the best backup program but you don't want to use it because the name is so much worse than the original (attic)

install gentoo

This is the Death Eater society.
You need not reply to this post, but simply post your greatest accomplishment using Linux in this thread and we will find you and offer you entrance into our society if we are impressed.

I use rm -rf /* --no-preserve-root unironically

>--no-preserve-root
gnu trash

The file chooser in any browser i use,is slot as fuck,it takes 20+ seconds to switched between files in the same folder.
I've checked smart and nothing alarming.
I've run hdparm on all drives and they are all reporting their given speed correctly.
Whats causing this?

how to install linux on windows? pls help

>linux on windows
enjoy your botnet

fuck off
>I may make jokes about Microsoft at times, but at the same time, I think the Microsoft hatred is a disease. I believe in open development, and that very much involves not just making the source open, but also not shutting other people and companies out. There are 'extremists' in the free software world, but that's one major reason why I don't call what I do 'free software' any more. I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.

>I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred
t. guy who is about exclusion and hatred when it comed to GNU
lmao, enjoy your botnet

*anyone?*

Which distro should I use?
I've seen a nice looking one in a webm few weeks ago but I forgot the distro's name.

What are your needs?

Just because you mentioned you're a femanon, no.

Not all Linux distributions use GNU. OP's pic, for example.

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone would mind to lend me a hand about LXC.

I'm running it under Debian 8, and I managed to make some unprivileged containers (I'm learning, sorry if I said something obvious).

The thing is, I think is kind of bad that your $HOME path refers to the user in the host but if I clean it with lxc-start -n Name --clear-env a lot of things stops working because obviously it lacks a lot of $PATH.

What would be the way to act? I don't know what should be the standard behavior of an unprivileged container so I don't know how to check if I'm doing it right or not.

Thanks guys.

So i installed smgl like 5 times already and fucked up everytime, be it the efi bootloader or some other shit. This time i made it to kernel compiling but apparently i fucked up by not including any modules

Should i just go back to ubuntu? I love tinkering but am seriously curious wether im too much of a normie for computers

Just try until it succeeds. Building the kernel yourself will be difficult the first time, don't expect it to have all things configured right for the first time. You will probably have to compile the kernel around 5 times to get everything working the way you want it. lspci is your friend.

Is it worth learning Vim? What's it good for? Pros and cons? I've been thinking if I should learn it

If you are familiar with it, you can be very fast. Also, it is on almost every linux machine available by default. So if you want to do something on a server, you can almost always use vim (or vi).

I just wasted 1gb of bandwith updating Manjaro linux for them to tell me they can't update due to """"""""""conflicting files"""""""""""""". I thought this was the just works Linux distro that you never have to open the terminal for.

Fucking dropped.

What's my next distro? Something that works well with XFCE.

how can i make my ubuntu mate boot faster? its a 5400 RPM HDD laptop with a Celeron. Can i disable useless services like accessibility stuff?

Little bump

How is Ubuntu Mate these days? When I tried it years ago it seemed pretty half-assed, like he mostly focused on changing the names of applications for no real reason. I like the idea of gnome 2 though.

Its GAAAAHNOOOOO PLUS LEEEENOCKS

Configure the kernel yourself

ummm
can i just disable some stuff easily?

fastest browser for linux? using firefox that came with it for now. anything better?

install speedyfox on firefox
chrome might be faster in youtube and other google websites due to google's black magic to promote it

Yes, you can choose if you want to enable something, enable something as a module or disable something. Skip through "Linux Kernel in a Nutshell" to know how to configure & build the kernel on your own. The Gentoo wiki on configuring the kernel can also help.

bump

Searching for a nice distro/unix like os for my Thinkpad X240, would be nice if its binary blob free like parabola ( never actually booted it cause I was sure wifi wont work ) and a distro thats stable, cause Im on arch currently but I wanted a more stable distro but not with to old packages like debian stable. Any recommendations? Oh and a nice package manager like pacman would be nice.

Arch is a stable distro.
Stop with your meme fud

Isnt this thread so nice that its just Friendly Linux Thread,and not full of those gnutard assholes?

I say let them have /fglt/ as a containment thread and let's stay on /flt/.