2 SSD M.2 NAND slots

>2 SSD M.2 NAND slots
Is there any sort of possibility to use that as a disk to cache large files? Say, things like textures or 3D models?

Other urls found in this thread:

amd.com/Documents/Radeon-Pro-SSG-Technical-Brief.pdf
gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3004-rx-vega-64-and-vega-56-power-specs-price
hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/siggraph-amd-studios-opens-hollywood-1025318
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Think of it like shared video memory. Its got the 16gb of HBM2 like the WX 9100 has, but then its got the slots for the SSD's that are basically a cache of extra assets needed for video memory. It transfers stuff to and from the HBM2 and SSD's as needed.

Say the HBM2 is currently pulling 8gb of ABC, well the SSD will fill the other 8gb of HBM2 with XYZ that will be used next, when ABC is no longer needed, its pushed back into the SSD and the SSD sends over more data.

Instead of having to take data from a drive elsewhere in the system, it can be held on the GPU and use that memory controller to access it much quicker.

Though im still more interested in the WX 9100 from a performance standpoint, i dont need those large caches of assets to be pulled through vram, the 16gb is enough.

Wait, what? M.2 on the GGPU?

HBCC makes the transition from VRAM to local/remote memory seamless, it's made for 3D models and in the future I bet it could be used for memory demanding calculations, gonna have to work on the latency for that one though.

AMDrones are pushing that it acts as memory despite being leagues slower
It acts LIKE memory, like Jared Leto ACTS like the joker despite being terrible at it

It's about latency, not bandwith.

Did you miss yesterdays presentation?
Yeah, the SSG has a 2 TB SSD for caching purposes. For a price of $7000 (professional card).

amd.com/Documents/Radeon-Pro-SSG-Technical-Brief.pdf

That thing is a niche in itself.
What the fuck.

Workloads have long surpassed the slowly moving VRAM limits, even if the SSDs are slower than GDDR/HBM they sure as fuck beat them on sheer capacity, and that's just fine for these workloads.

It's to prevent CPU bottlenecks in extremely high res editing/playback and be able to accomodate larger datasets

I understand this.
That's why i said the card is a niche in itself.

That's what it's for dumbass

Engineering sects would be using it, which isn't really niche. Say oil companies or Boeing/Lockheed/ sukhoi

Why don't nVidia make one?

If you have the money to own this thing, most likely you don't have a shit CPU that would actually be a bottleneck in editing
Even the 1700x does fucking great

it's also about bandwidth: if the CPU and the GPU have to process a huge amount of data at the same time, they need to share the bandwidth in a normal system, but the Radeon Pro SSG can pull the data from its own SSD while the CPU uses the system SSD.

So how many organs do I need to sell to buy this? Also, what would I need it for?

>So how many organs do I need to sell to buy this?
An arm and a leg
>Also, what would I need it for?
To process 8K hentai.

Do you do high end professional animation, weather forecasting, medical modeling or engineering work? That's the kind of work this card is made for

8k video playback gets bottlenecked by a 6950X user

So if I play Skyrim with 4K textures, I won't suffer popins and shit?

That's a small dataset.

Good thing threadripper exists

Would there be any noticeable benefit over a RAMDisk?

I don't know since i don't have a working SSG card on hands.

even so, sending hundreds of GB of graphical information from PC storage > RAM > CPU > VRAM is very tasking on the cpu

We're still stuck to 32GB of VRAM tops until 2020, this is a necessity.

only if you're getting cpu bottlenecks while playing because the textures can't all fit on VRAM at the same time

Even with HBM3 doubling the capacity per stack it's still only 64gigs for 4 stack configuration.

So putting DRAM on these things is actually possible?
Will we have GPUs with DIMM slots hanging off the back?

Probably.
Vega has incredibly complex (for GPU that is) memory subsystem.

consider the fact that skyrim was programmed by the entire dev team taking turns smashing the keyboard with a chair

You can extend it to spinning rust if you want, but yes a card with a bunch of DIMM slots fitted in some crazy way is gonna happen sooner or later, SSDs are too high latency for any number crunching.

With 7k you can probably pay a poor exploited Japanese animator to make your own short hentai of whatever you want

Shouldn't HBCC memes ease the pain of low memory?

It does that by using system memory.
If system memory is lacking as well it doesn't help much.

They do.
The datasets SSG aims for are still MUCH, MUCH bigger.
Anyway RTG has only gaymen drivers left, they totally delivered on Pro stuff.

Considering that now it's possible to do highres realtime work without multiple TB's of DRAM and 40+ cores which would cost you well over a $100k I think AMD is really fucking selling this shit cheap.

You can stick 20x $6000 Quadros on this and it wouldn't change, it's a fundamental difference.
The market that this is target is dominated by CPU farms since GPUs had no way of extending their memory amount like CPUs did.

They can price it as $20k and people would still byt it.
The card competes with itself.
nVidia's SSG when?

And it would still be nothing compared to the software utilizing it.

Yes.
Anyway, the card is a bargain.

>when they put the SSG vs the P6000 side by side to render 250 million polygons and the P6000 crashed
top kekels

RED have a card to help editing 8k videos at the same price but that SSG looks far better than the RED solution.

RED card is up to 6k AFAIK.

This thread is surpisingly dead considering it's about Vega.
Where's shitposters?

They're all in here
And here

as this thread is about a professional GPU with special features that no Nvidia gpu has, they can't say anything bad about it

>benchmarks in 10 days
I wonder why

Oh, there's two dedicated shitflinging threads to contain shitposting?
Nice.

But they can try.
Why don't they defend jacketman and his Quadros here?

because even the Vega FE is at the same performance level of a P6000 on professional workloads, and the SSG surpasses it on dealing with massive datasets

all the shit they can talk about Vega is that it performs like shit on games and that no driver updates will ever fix it because reasons

But RX Vega performs like shit even in AMD's official slides and i don't know why.

the short answer is that DSBR (tile-based rasterization) is turned off on gaming drivers

gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3004-rx-vega-64-and-vega-56-power-specs-price
>The architects loosely confirmed that tile-based rasterization was in fact disabled for Frontier Edition’s launch, which we think mostly aligns with statements about pushing the card out in time, and noted that DSBR will be enabled on both Vega FE and RX Vega on launch of RX Vega.

hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/siggraph-amd-studios-opens-hollywood-1025318
Ha ha this is getting silly, it's like if nVidia demoed Maxwell2 without TBR.
TOO FUCKING SILLY.

>One thing we do know is that the voltage targets change, so voltage checks are at different frequencies than FE, and voltage should be lower. We’d expect that this will align with our findings in the undervolting testing on Vega: Frontier Edition, where power consumption can equalize while improving performance. It’s still AVFS, but just a better tuning profile than FE.

Like any GCN card, give it a few months and then it'll shine in gayming.

Too bad that they'll never be in stock outside of the initial launch.

>speshul mining instructions baked into the ISA
The fuck are you doing AMD...

if I had to take a guess, they're building dedicated mining cards with that specific feature enabled

Maybe a separate GCN-like ASIC?

They're not dedicated to mining, they're generally ISA instructions used in cryptography, you can find them in codebases like verycrypt/truecrypt, openssl, ssh, etc etc and god knows what else.
Being very fast at some instructions is a real good thing, this is the reason why Haswell is so much faster to anything before it in Dolphin even though the arch has

>Raja managed to create a card that NVidia has no answer to
tbqh that's pretty cool

Just like 1S EPYCs, it's a niche no one knew ever existed.

>niche
Everyone says this nowadays but imo Intel and nvidia held back technological advancement with their jewery for too long. We got used to 5% performance upgrades between generations that something that actually differs from the current stuff is a shock. What a sad timeline.

That's what business should do. Find a niche and close it.

Well they did.
Nothing can compete against SSG or 1S EPYCs.

nVidia is actually trying to push meme learning, too bad they're fighting an uphill battle against ASICs.

Vega cube for mining? you can be extremely space efficient and AMD will get their revenge when it burns down and kills the miners who bought it

>AMD
>high-end work
lol

Go away favela monkey.

there are four shitposting threads about gpus right now, this is not one of them

It's a fucking BR monkey shitposting about AMD.

Sorry user, but I'm not poor enough to buy AMD products

Yay the retarded shitposters finally arrived to shit up the thread. You're late.

SOPA MACACO

Fucking chimp kill yourself.

>S-SOMEONE DOESN'T LIKE WHAT I LIKE
>T-THEY MUST BE SHITPOSTING
Jeez, user

This is an American site, Pablo, get back behind the wall

Fucking favela monkey kill yourself.

I'm whiter than flour, long live white power

You're as white as BR monkeys get, aka not at all.

Sorry, user, but all minorities here get thrown with rocks and kicked down a well, just like AMD trash

DELICIA