Graphics overheat

My graphics card, MSI R9 270X hits 100 degs in a few minutes when running on 100% activity (gaming). Already replaced thermal paste, reinstalled drivers, cleaned off the dust - did not help. I haven't found any physical damage on it. The ventilation in my pc is good enough - one fan front one back, two on graphics, one on processor heatsink, one in power supply. Although, the room my comp is in has about 30°C. I'm a poorfag now and don't want to buy a new graphics unless this one is beyond repair. What do ?

take it to geek squad

sounds like it needs a reflow
I had this before
some solder on one of the power regulators snapped meaning it was drawing a huge amount (always on) and got too warm for the thing to handle

warm up your oven to 220 Celsius, then wrap your GPU in tin foil but leave a small hole around the GPU die (it will look like pic related)
leave it in for an hour, pull it out, let it cool off over night, and try again

Make sure the airflow in your case is intake though the bottom front and out the top back. Make sure there is plenty of space around your graphics card and tidy your wires in the case. Make sure none of your front panel cables are stuck in the fans. Open the case and check they turn when you turn it on.

All pretty simple things but I can't really think why it would be overheating. I have a similarly-designed graphics card by MSI shoved at the bottom of a tiny cube micro-atx case and it never gets close to overheating. Refund it.

what speed is the fan running?

Sounds a bit dangerous. What are the chances of pulling out a completely dead GPU out of the oven ?

full when 95°c - 100°c and they are functional

I've done it to three GPU's so far (not all mine, friends and family), it worked on two, and on on one the problem was still there and the GPU died 6 months later
It was an ancient GPU anyway so I was surprised it didn't die as soon as I turned the computer on

I had the same thing happening with my r9 290, decided to just sell it when the mining stuff happened, even made 20bucks by selling it for more than what I bought it for.

>buying AMD

Found your issue

>AMD
Found your problem

dont listen to this cuck, this is only when gpu's are fully dead and ur desperate, will def not help with your case.. maybe try switching the pads on the Vram

Wait cooking your gpu is an actual repair method? Thought he was just trying to troll

Alright. So should I unscrew the heatsink off of it for the sake of it not melting down ? Also, I've read now that a few minutes in an oven should be fine, hour is probably an overkill. Also, 200°C should be fine. Probably, idk, just read it now. So unscrew heatsink, wrap up in a tin foil, 200°C for 10 - 15 minutes then oven off, let it cool down inside the oven for a while so it will not melt my hands, then take it out, leave it somewhere for half a day, put heatsink back on, plug in and hope for the best ? :D

Just googled it out and seems legit and working so yes, although it is a last resort. I'd like to try other stuff before preferably.

yep

yeah its a very last thing to try, have u tried downclocking gpu or things like that?

I had that problem with an MSI 7970 lightning, pic related. reapply thermal paste didn't really help it either, after maybe 15min in OCCT the temps would hit 105c and the system would shutdown. all I could do was RMA it, the replacement (new) one worked fine and would only hit 79c at full load.

pretty sure its just an MSI cooler issue, you could maybe find an alternative/replacement cooler on ebay for cheap I would think.

No. I think that it would help since the temps raise gradually and it would surely lower them down but it's not like I want to have a gpu functioning on a half of its speed. I play games after all.

AYYMD HOUSEFIRES

The original Xbox 360 had a similar problem, shitty soldering on the GPU causing a red ring of death.

The best solution - apart from claiming on the warrantee like a weakling - was wrapping it in a towel and leaving it on. If your house wasn't on fire when you came back, the accumulated heat would melt the solder and let the connections settle back into natural positions, and then when it cooled it'd be fixed.

Or a brick.

>you're a weakling because you dont want to expose yourself to toxic chemicals in the air
wew lad

I don't see how this would work since the 360 automatically shut itself down afterwards. Most people were using a blow dryer towel trick and that make the entire plastic melt around it. It was mostly just for pulling your game out of the system