So/g/ what do you expect computers will be like in 2050?

So/g/ what do you expect computers will be like in 2050?

Everybody running Quantum computers?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Data_Center
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah, one that calculates your mothers weight

6ghz 50 cores maybe

More like 2.5ghz 8096 cores

non existent

everyone will have quantum smartphones instead.

Quantum computing more than likely won't be on a consumer level by then. You have to super cool current quantum computers so unless they find a way around that we're just going to end up with bigger phones and computers than we currently have since we won't be able to make transistors any smaller. The phone of 2040 could possibly look like something from the 80s and be insanely powerful.

Pretty much this. Just use the holographic VR display to play your chinese MMO games from a phone.

1 nm x86 cpu + integrated gpu and ram chip + 1nm ai coprocessor.

Quantum computing can't replace linear computing, a quantum computer will take ages to do a simple calculation, which can be done by a normal computer at the speed of electricity.

Quantum computing is only useful to generate large amounts of relative values, not an exact value.

Expect to see hybrid computers tho.

they'll be the size of cochlear implants and directly feed tweets, kikebook and snapchat into your brain.

That's exactly what we need
wait

There is nothing wrong with that. I still don't understand why they make desktop components so small. It's a fucking desktop, but they're still making that small CPU's and not so big pci gpus

Convenience plus micro atx seems to be more popular...

Nah I reckon quantum chips will be mostly restricted to research for quite a while. Look at how underutilized GPUs still are. If they were pure compute cards (as some are now) there'd be no consumer market for them.

I like your optimism.

We probably ran out of some rare earth half the way to 2050 and in 2050 everybody will be fighting over still functioning chips made in 2020

I think quantum will be the meme of the century.
VERY good at certain specific cases, but mostly useless with everything else.
Most CPUs probably will have an integrated quantum core used mostly for encrypting shit in a way quantum computers can't break in 10 seconds, as will be the case with our current encryptions.

Them cores will have NSA/Intel backdoors anyways.

AFAIK it's only certain crypto algorithms that are vulnerable. Namely asymmetric ones like TLS, rather than Rijndael or something.

they'll still feel too slow

>Most CPUs probably will have an integrated quantum core used mostly for encrypting shit in a way quantum computers can't break in 10 seconds, as will be the case with our current encryptions.
All of the ciphers being seriously considered for post-quantum crypto run just fine on classical computers, and there's no reason to believe that they would run better (or even as well) on a quantum computer.

I really hope so.
it would be quite a bad thing if suddenly everyone was vulnerable to everyone that have a quantum computer.
The rampage of the russian chinese quantum computer would be endless.

>TLS
>an asymmetric crypto algorithm
No.

Also, it's not that the quantum vulnerable algorithms are asymmetric that makes them vulnerable, but rather the specific approach. There will still be asymmetric ciphers in a post-quantum world, they just won't be based on the factoring problem or the discrete logarithm problem.

in 2005 it took thousand dual cores to do a petaflop
now it's one rack
count from that.

4cores 50ghz on consumer platform from intel.
32 cores 12ghz on consumer platform from amd.

>it would be quite a bad thing if suddenly everyone was vulnerable to everyone that have a quantum computer.
Even if there is wide adoption of post-quantum ciphers before quantum computers become widely available, nation-state actors will still be able to decrypt many exabytes (or more) of stored communications. PGP encrypted emails, https web browsing sessions, Tor traffic, etc.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Data_Center

32 cores in 2050? Try 2020.

Will the systemd war ends at that time?

>Quantum computing more than likely won't be on a consumer level by then
They said the same about normal computers 30-40 years ago.

i9 7000k inside fidget spinner?

I think nobody will own a computer anymore, not even a phone, there will just be terminals everywhere where you can login to your cloud shit.

By 2050 data centres will have quantum expansion cards attached to servers for database looks ups. Many companies will buy expensive plans hoping to speed up databases, only to find they need normalised databases and the pajet they got to write it didn't know what he was doing.

The NSA will be using it to decrypt all internet traffic. EFF will have a hissy fit when it gets leaked but the public won't care because they'll be watching the Fidget Spinner Movie IVV

I'm talking about most popular cpus that your random Joe going to buy in bestbuy in prebuild.

actually doesn't sound so bad if there is not performance downsides

we are back to 60s theorycraft
everyone thought there will be only terminals and calculation done far away
but than PC became a thing and it's all done at home
now w are back to cloud mentality
that freaking AMD petaflop demo where they rendered some thing in a second, the rack can support 1200 such terminals for a studio/company
shit already going there

we already renting games and movies for a license, why not performance?

there will be no computers in 2050 since all the smart races will racemix themselves into extinction and the nigger hybrids will burn civilization to ashes.

beam me up, carmack

They'll be depressingly similar to what we have now.

There will be no flying cars, there will be no space stations, there will be no moon colony.
We are ants in a vivarium, allowed what little it takes to keep the masses quiet.

>>Expect to see hybrid computers tho.
So basically we'll just have another thing to fill a PCI-E slot with. A QPU or something.