Solus, is it worth?

So, I'm fucking tired of W10 so I started looking for a Distro to install in my hp 840 elite book, so I have to ask you Sup Forums:
Is Solus a good?

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntubudgie.org
solus-project.com/2015/07/27/clear-inspiration/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No.

openSUSE.
Manjaro. Arch. Fedora.
Ubuntu. Debian. All those are better.

Install OpenBSD

840 Elitebook? Is that one of the new slimbooks that are super overpriced?
I can recommend these
Manjaro KDE
Debian
Arch-Anywhere
and maybe Fedora if you enjoy having issues.

FreeBSD is the better choice anyways, fuck off

install gentoo

Pretty mediocre, the only unique and interesting thing about is the DE which you can install on other distros as well

FreeBSD devs are a bunch of screeching autists. If someone from FreeBSD project makes anything that also benefits Linux, OpenBSD or DragonflyBSD they get mad.

No. Solus is still pre-alpha
Ubuntu is the only choice for a first distro. Just pick DE that you like (Ubuntu Gnome, Mate, etc.)

This. Maybe look at as well ubuntubudgie.org

enjoy your kevinnet

You should install it, it's really good.
The main dev is known for getting things done with no bullshit, now that he's gone full time dev you can expect state-of-the-art softwares coming to solus in a few weeks.
For now it has :
-really fast boot
-sane default
-lts or current kernel
-best steam integration of all linux distros
-fast package manager
-flatpak for third-party packages (including chrome spotify, android studio, sublime text and much more to come)

You can expect to have in a near future :
-delta upgrade when it's possible
-budgie 11 based on qt (not kde)
-best optimus support
-easiest packaging manager so everyone and their mom can use it
-package manager re written in C for highest performance and lower footprint in the system
-better steam integration
-state-of-the-art build system for faster updates availability

it may lacks some packages for advanced users given the distro is new and they don't want to maintain absolutly every different softwares that do the exact same thing.

solus is quite possibly the fastest most powerful distro ever made

If you want a distro that Just Werks™, yes.
If you want to learn Linux so that you can manage servers or whatever, no.

>Pajeet "distro" made by installing certain packages in ubuntu vs highly optimised distro made from the ground up

It's just Clear Linux + Budgie.

Wrong. They have nothing to do with each other.

Guys, I just need something to replace Windows and that looks good, basically I'n the noobiest here.

Solus is great, it's my Linux distro of choice, but if you can afford it, macOS is also a very good choice/option.

arch-anywhere installer

This but unironically
Not to mention if you have any issues you can go into irc directly and talk with the devs including Ikey himself. I run the testing .iso using the unstable repo, and one time an update completely fucked icons and theming in apps like the software center or discord file preview stuff. I went into the irc and said "hey the new update fucked things up and now everything looks like shit" and posted a screenshot and a log of my eopkg updates, and one of the devs (blaz I think, or sunny) recreated it and gave me the command to downgrade if I wanted to and the issue was fixed within a few hours. I didn't even have to go through the official bug reporting. Also packaging for Solus is super easy and is getting easier.

my friend fell for the solus meme. how do i help him?

hahahahah
>"So what did you steal? Actually, quite a lot!
solus-project.com/2015/07/27/clear-inspiration/

It's just Clear Linux patches on top of Budgie

>flatpak
I though AppImage took over?

It's my work laptop, very nice overall honestly, I have it set up to dual boot but mostly run windows for work shit

This is why no one will ever take this shit seriously. Yes, a non-intrusive alternative to Windows is sorely needed, but you people can't even agree on which one to use, let alone stop yelling at each other over it. There are now more Linux branches than I have fingers and toes.

Pic related. This is why everyone still uses Windows.

I'm sorry you can't pick something yourself without others telling you what to do, user.

Oh get over yourself. You know damn well that when it comes to computers people STILL can't play electronic legos and put Tab A into Slot B. It only gets worse when you get to the software side of things. As long as Linux developers keep fighting like children over who has the shiniest ball, people will never adopt it except neckbearded NEETs. And that is a very bad thing.

Here we go again, why do you base your actions and decisions around "what's popular" or what others opinions are?

Clear linux and solus are literally made by the same guy dude.

Like said, you should install Ubuntu. Ubuntu is the most noob friendly distro and will probably give you the best experience.

He also made the clr-boot-manager for Solus.

In my opinion the best Distro out there. Unfortunately the KDE Plasma support is not that great yet. As soon as solus adds plasma it'll be my main Distro.

They are quite close to added KDE and making a KDE iso.

Yeah I'm using it on my elitebook 2170p, it's my favorite distro.

Shit just werkz and looks great otb. Only change I made was moving the taskbar to the bottom. Battery life is great for a Linux Distro too, I'm averaging between 4-4.5 hours per charge on my laptop which is roughly the same as it would get on windows.
It boots up in 3s on my old sata II SSD, and everything just looks and feels smoother and more fluid than when I was running Ubuntu.

Taskbar is at bottom by default now

>Arch-Anywhere
A N T E R G O Ś
N
T
E
R
G
O
S

You could make an argument for any of those being better, or at least as good as Solus, except OpenSUSE. OpenSUSE is a fucking broken piece of shit. Absolute Nazi gutter trash. Fuck Richard Brown, and fuck you.

He pretty much made that shit himself when he was working for Intel anyways.

I'm dual booting Solus with Windows 7, no issues whatsoever, pretty pleased.

>Antergos
>Shit logo and no benefits over AA or Manjaro
great job, I bet you like mint over ubuntu as well faggot.

there are 3 good choices

1. Linux Mint Cinnamon
2. Ubuntu MATE
3. Xubuntu

what text program is that underneath your fetch

Please don't choose that. JUst install budgie on Ubuntu if you want Budgie. That distro is probably the worst thing I have installed on my computer. Slow as fuck, package manager doesn't work. Wifi drivers shit.

Get literally anything else. OpenBSD would work better

Nice thread, Kevin

>Antergos
Only thing worse is Manjaro
AA gives you the most basic vanilla arch experience at no cost.

toilet

There's only one answer to the kernel question, user.

Neat.

Now it's perfect for me otb.

I don't use Solus, but I have to admit, Ikey is a brilliant motherfucker.

Mint. You'll be fine.

Manjaro Gnome. You'll never regret it, and only a shitposter would disagree.