/tpg/ thinkpad general

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) and P, T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-silver/5823026.p?skuId=5823026
giocc.com/custom-bios-splash-screen-for-new-thinkpad-series.html
youtu.be/czao5OcvlkA
support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/tpad-fru-kr
aliexpress.com/item/New-Orig-for-IBM-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X200-X200S-X200T-X201-X201i-X201S-X201-Tablet-Keyboard-JPN/32774766978.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for actual previous thread

Where do you buy similiar stickers but in a smaller version? Just a small enough to fit well on the palm rest of a T6x

I just recently bought a simple laptop for indie pixel games, browsing and streaming.

Here it is. Got it for $504 total with tax. bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-silver/5823026.p?skuId=5823026

How'd I do.

Are any of the ThinkPad laptops suitable for video editing?

Amateur editing? Sure. T420 or later/more powerful in same gen with dedicated graphics.

Professional? Better have a more accurate monitor.

HEY FAG,

next time include a link in the old thread to the new one.

Recently combined 2 thinkpad T420's. One was a base model but in mint condition. The other had much better specs, but was work and beat to shit. Anyhow, I swapped over the i7-2620m (2c/4t). Applied IC diamond thermal paste, properly reseated and tightened down the heatsink (X pattern until bottomed out)

Yet my CPU idles at 68-72C. Mid 90s under moderate load. Is it possible I added too much paste? (Size of a large pea) I'm used to desktop chips and graphics cards. Been a while since I re-pasted a laptop chip, so it's possible.

If all else fails, I'll break down both laptops AGAIN and steal the cooling assembly out of the old T420 because that one worked fine. Anything I may be missing that'd lead to high temps like this? Appreciate any help here Sup Forumsents.

No

Modern Thinkpads have excellent screens.
And most importantly: matte.

A tricked out P71 is probably the best laptop for video editing money can buy.
But a more reasonably configured P50 or P51 is great too.

Macbook > Cuckpad

(You)

Putting "too much" paste might increase the temps by a degree or two. Something else is the problem.

Then what on Earth could it be? I'm still going to double and triple check everything.

I also made sure to set Windows processor power management to active so the fan will ramp up.

That high idle temp makes me think the heatsink isn't making proper contact with the CPU. I would take it apart and re-apply the paste etc.

Yea that's what I'm thinking as well. Ok, thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Waiting for a new "-120" Hydis display, display bezel, palmrest, and Nip keyboard for my Librebooted X200! It'll be all shiny on the inside when it's all together!

All shipping from China, though. I'll be waiting a few weeks.

you also should spread the thermal paste over the whole die, since there is no heat spreader like on desktop CPU's

missing the corners of the die far outweigh the tiny bubbles you make from spreading it

Found a new-in-box W530 at work. Was told to make it disappear.

I7-3820QM
32GB DDR3
Quadro K1000M
1920x1080 LCD
180GB SSD (Replaced with a new-in-box 500GB Evo 840 Pro sitting next to it)
9 cell battery
2x 135W AC adapter
Docking station

Not sure what I'm going to use it for yet. Might start playing with docker containers, as my Surface Pro 2 (i5 4200u/8GB/250GB) is feeling resource constrained these days.

The core i3 version of the T420 has a smaller heatsink with aluminum fins instead of copper, so that may be the problem.

Hope you made sure of the exact model display you ordered, the chinks sent me a "compatible" one that was actually from AUO and definitely not IPS.

Later I bought the entire top screen assembly from a Gateway E-155 convertible and that was the right screen (but glossy, and I had to very carefully remove the digitizer).

I just put a small line of the same Diamond stuff he used on my x200, and it idles at ~35°C (40°C sitting on my lap). Didn't spread it or anything, and the heatsink is cool to the touch. If he put a proper amount, putting the heatsink on should flatten it out over the rest of the die.

I see. Ok I'll make sure to manually spread the paste. That's something I didn't do. I figured the contact surface of the sink would spread it for me. That's good info to know that it doesn't. Maybe that's my entire problem.

Thats a fucking awesome deal (free). Hell yea, make that laptop your daily use! Fully specced out W530 will run circles around your surface. Older CPU/GPU or not.

Really? I thought the heatsinks were all the same. This one is copper though I think.

I have the same "-100" display in my closet, I also had to remove the digitizer. I scratched it a little in that process, and the gloss is annoying as shit. They messaged me on Ali asking if my device had a touch sensor and I made it as blatant as possible that "I WANT THE ONE THAT ENDS IN 120! NO DIGITIZER, NO TOUCH PANEL, MATTE FINISH!". Hopefully they send the right one.

X260 for 400€, should I?
Intel Core i5, intel 6300U 2,5 GHZ
4GB DDR4-2133
DD 500GB
Screen 12,5in 1376x736 LCD
Intel HD Graphic 520
Intel 8260 (2x2AC) avec Bluetooth 4.1
Webcam HD 720p
USB 3
HDMI
Miniport
Ethernet
Trusted Platform Module (TPM 1.2) Security Chip
Windows 10 Pro 64 bits

if you don't mind paying more money for more RAM and an SSD and being stuck with the 1366x768 display, then sure

HOW

there's at least 3 kinds of T420 heatsink
>3 heatpipes with GPU pad
>2 skinny heatpipes
>1 large flat heatpipe
but I'm not sure which of the last 2 is the better one.

Can the one with 3 heatpipes be swapped into a T420 that has no dedicated GPU?

giocc.com/custom-bios-splash-screen-for-new-thinkpad-series.html

this?

can you post your splash screen

;)

My battery is old as heck and most likely needs to be replaced. It only lasts about 40min

Would this be a cause for the fans being loud as fuck and always on?

no, temperatures cause that

but that could be a result of high cpu usage which would give worse battery life

youtu.be/czao5OcvlkA

How far back can you go and still watch x265 1080p anime?

Wow that looks like new, did you buy it new or refurbished? Hmm I'm thinking if getting another x220.
>tfw thinkpads are extra comfy

dock is locked

40th for G40 guts

Someone with a YouTube account should tell him in a comment.

Do you have the images of this sticker plz

How well do laptops like the T420 manage some light gaming? Stuff like TF2 or other semi-old and unoptimized games. I dont mind using minimum settings.

TF2 and Source stuff is OK, Skyrim sort of runs on minimum settings, nothing newer is going to run unless you use some sort of insane eGPU setup

best place for new battery? desu

It's like $4 on stickermule
Support lain

neat setup

dumb frog booter

where can I find list with free wificards
need something to work with my t410

getting my first thinkpad today. its a mint t420.

>tfw my a key and a few others on the left side of the kb have died on my t420
Fuck. Is this an easy fix or should I just buy an x201?

try reseating the cable, or just replacing the keyboard?

>tfw too dumb to hackintosh my t420
kill me

You can't follow a simple guide?

apparently not, what guide did you use and do you have a mac from which to source the files needed or did you VM it?

Anyone running Manjaro KDE on an X220? How is it?

I have a mac to source them from, what do you need

hmm any ideas on how to get the temperature down on these things?

thanks but you gotta make a bootable usb using a mac which i'm unable to do, I tried doing it with VM but it didn't work ;__;
Wanna send me a bootable usb? :3

It does, you just need to lurk harder (that's how I did it myself)

i'm not trying that shit again, takes ages

yes, quit doing cpu intensive things

There are some X120E's on my local Craigslist for $35. Look to be in good condition based on the pictures. Too good to be true?

worthless

Even for just browsing and word processing?

T42 memepad

>wants a solution
>gets one
nah that will take ages

What is the cheapest model? I just want a dirt cheap (second hand) one to play around with and use.

whatever you can find? look at local classifieds

Have you tried looking on redbubble? Anyway is it really worth showing everyone your weeb stickers?

What's a good ThinkPad for someone who has never owned a ThinkPad before but wants one?

Just found an X220 randomly in my house, dont think it belongs to anybody.

Battery is out but I bought a charger. Did I do good Sup Forums?

What do I do first after I wipe it? Should I finally install linux on something?

My first was an x220. I think it's pretty good

That model always seems so highly revered but why? Isn't it old and no longer being sold?

>Just found an X220 randomly in my house

Fuck, we have hobos in /tpg/

yeah, that's the point of thinkpad threads

getting secondhand business/enterprise class laptops for cheap

best one for vidya games?

Lenovo Legion
Predator Helios 300

Thinking about grabbing a modern Thinkpad from Lenovo's website while it's on sale. Any models I should be looking for? Anything I should be avoiding? And is TP's reputation for being durable and modular still applicable to the newer models? Mainly going to be using it for school so I want I to handle any accidental drops or anything like that.

I tried doing similar on the t520, and went through destroying my stock of fans/heatsinks. From my experiencing, the heatsink with gpu pad has a different fan connector than the ones without it.

As long as the connector or the same, should be fine.

As long as the connector are* the same, should be fine.

>put stickers/tape over the branding
>push the stickers into the outlines of the branding

what fucking brainlet did this

>desired reaction: acquired

Yea I figured as much. Thanks user. I'll probably scavenge the assembly from the old Laptop on top of re-pasting the CPU again. Hopefully it fixes the problem. I'll check back when it's finished.

That lcd looks gorgeous! Is it superior to newer tp?

Which is easier to hackintosh - t420 or x220? I already bought the dell dw 1510 wifi card.. gettin ready.

>after buying and selling various ThinkPads, I've finally settled on keeping my X200 tablet and upgraded T430
>tfw both have shitty screens and already spent too much on the T430 to justify buying an IPS or X1 panel

I guess I'll have to live with it.

>keyboard
Where'd you buy the keyboard from?
What other places sell keyboards besides eBay?
Looking for a T450p.

>T450p
did such a thing ever exist?

Sorry, typo. Meant T540p

I just love my T400.
Bad thing its that it doesnt run any games besides CS 1.6, openarena etc...

support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/tpad-fru-kr

open parts list for T540p, find keyboard FRU you want, google the FRU number, you can find other sellers and specifically what you want on Ebay

Well Sup Forums I found a good condition X61 on ebay
>4GB Ram
>T9300 2.5Ghz cpu
>120GB SSD
>2 batteries
>"2 fans inside"
I currently own an X201 and I'm hoping the X61 can do everything i do on my X201, would be fun to carry it around instead.
I've read that the X61s has longer battery life due to slower cpu, is there any way to underclock/overclock the T9300 on the go, and is the X61 still good enough to be a daily driver?

It is a regular T42 TN panel (There are superior 15" IPS T42's). I cleaned my panel to perfection and Arch scales very well on low rez panels, also I installed Truetype fonts (vector) and hi rez wallpaper.

Nice dubs & thank you for the tip.

Should be nearly the same except if you have a dedicated graphics on the t420. If you want a guide that spoon feeds you everything, the x220 is a good choice.

Not this guy, but china man.

aliexpress.com/item/New-Orig-for-IBM-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X200-X200S-X200T-X201-X201i-X201S-X201-Tablet-Keyboard-JPN/32774766978.html

Thanks, but I can't find the FRUs I need on any of the sites listed in the /csg/ sticky.