Systemd does it AGAIN: prevents encrypted systems from booting

And it only took them two weeks to fix! github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6381

Poettering is on fire lately:
- A couple weeks ago it was discovered that valid POSIX usernames starting with numbers were assigned root privileges and they refused to fix it
- Some days later systemd-resolved (the nonstandard systemd DNS resolver with hardcoded Google DNS servers as fallback that just a month ago was discovered to allow remote code execution through a malformed query) was found to be unable to resolve Netflix domains
- A few days ago, Lennart Poettering received the "Lamest Vendor" pwnie award at Black Hat USA

But, as if that wasn't enough, systemd has prevented systems from booting two releases in a row:
- systemd 233 broke network booting
- systemd 234 broke booting with encrypted /

Will this madman be stopped before it's too late?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6369
github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/5998
github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/6225
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6237
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap03.html#tag_03_276
redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/gnome-desktop-project
worldofgnome.org/red-hat-gnome-part-i/
devuan.org
alpinelinux.org/about
trueos.org
openbsd.org
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/5644
archlinux.de/?page=FunStatistics
cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20170801.iso
a.pomf.space/bstsdjddijgg.webm
youtu.be/hdHZ5hp45Fc?t=2m44s
github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/0864d311766498563331f486909a0d950ba7de87
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenRC?wprov=sfla1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No, he won't. This is the future you chose.

He can't even speak English properly

>wanting him to stop
Haha no. Let him continue, let systemd cancer die by his own hand.

He looks like he makes too much noise when he's sucking. You know, like that throaty "ungh" sound?

>tfw lennart will probably get stabbed or decapitated by a 'new european'

What's wrong with the sentence?

If you think that's bad, you should read his posts in the issue tracker:
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6369
github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/5998
github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/6225
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6237

He and his team think they're smarter than everyone else by ignoring standards, reinventing the wheel and not following secure practices, despite everyone else (including Linus) and reality telling them otherwise. The fact that this is now basically mandatory on the modern Linux desktop has made me lose all trust on it.

Time to install Gentoo

>as nobody of us tests this
It should be "as none of us tests this".

>valid POSIX usernames
Nope
>systemd-resolved (the nonstandard systemd DNS resolver ... was found to be unable to resolve Netflix domains
Illegal characters in dn; non-systemd library
>Lennart Poettering received the "Lamest Vendor" pwnie award at Black Hat USA
True
>systemd has prevented systems from booting two releases in a row:
Unsure, but I'm sure as hell not going to take your word for it

There are enough good and true reasons to hate on systemd that you don't need to invent new ones.

>running an encrypted machine

not a bug/fixed

.t nsa

this, systemd is literally the best thing ever, stop lying OP

Remember whenever we used to make these threads lennart himself would enter and try to shill his systemd

Or devuan. Devuan seems pretty usable for guide following handholders.

The problem is Red Hat.

Lennart Poettering and Kay Sievers are just symptoms.

If Red Hat management wasn't all "push arbitrary features by trojaning it in with major Linux-related system architecture mostly implemented by people on our payroll such as Poettering and manipulate OSS funding and thus project leaders to fall in line," we wouldn't have this mess.

kys

>Nope
Why are you lying? Read the issue, you were proven wrong three.

Please stop trolling.

Usernames starting with numbers are valid according to POSIX:

pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap03.html#tag_03_276

>3.276 Portable Filename Character Set
>The set of characters from which portable filenames are constructed.
>A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
>a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
>0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . _ -

>3.426 User Name
>A string that is used to identify a user; see also User Database. To be portable across systems conforming to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, the value is composed of characters from the portable filename character set. The hyphen should not be used as the first character of a portable user name.

useradd lets you add it.

And Netflix domains were perfectly valid and could be resolved in Windows, macOS and *BSD. Even if the fault was at a third-party library, they should have tested it.

So Cannonical were the good guys after all?

Devuan Stretch when?

Jesus fuck, Potty is such an asswipe. He even gets offended that his shit gets CVEs assigned. He's a golden god of computing and anyone pleb enough to suggest he's wrong is a troll. How can a sperg like that climb the corporate ladder? Is he that good at fellatio?

As with any business, they didn't have the interest of users in mind, but at least they were more or less non-intrusive towards the ecosystem, their stuff was self-contained (Upstart, Unity, Mir...) and gave the community a relatively polished Linux desktop experience.

Red Hat has basically hijacked init, essential services and GNOME (the most popular DE) and just keeps pushing their shit onto everyone. If at least they were good... but quality is atrocious.

achshully, "as none of us test this"

WHY THE FUCK DOES A DE HAVE A HARD DEPENDENCY TO SYSTEMD? FOR WHAT PURPOSE?

>Is he that good at fellatio?
Have you seen OP picture?

They are all paid employees of CIA that's why.

Pure coincidence :^)

redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/gnome-desktop-project
worldofgnome.org/red-hat-gnome-part-i/

>But, as if that wasn't enough, systemd has prevented systems from booting two releases in a row:
>- systemd 233 broke network booting
>- systemd 234 broke booting with encrypted /

neither of those are deployed to any distro that matters so it doesn't matter to anybody but testers. Ubuntu 16.04 is on 229.

Sometimes being a part of the free software community means that you are beta testing software on your special snowflake systems to find bugs. Lennart is under no obligation to patch software to work on your special snowflake system.

systemd may have some problems, but this is not one of them.

How do I escape systemd?

gnome has been a lost cause for years

install devuan

Why does Red Hat keep promoting self righteous idiots to the top?

>Too much noise

Not possible

devuan.org
alpinelinux.org/about
trueos.org
openbsd.org

But it's all worth it to parse QR codes in your init system

Don't forget this one: github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/5644

PCLinuxOS, its like templeos but linux and has no bible.

REMINDER. Potterfag is an SJW scumbag.

He is a tranny what do you expect.

How do I contribute bitcoins?

>GNOME (the most popular DE
that subversive shilling

I'm not shilling, I don't like or use GNOME, but it's just how things are.

archlinux.de/?page=FunStatistics

Keep in mind that this is Arch, which is mostly by tech-savvy users. Debian uses GNOME, Ubuntu will use GNOME starting next years, all of Red Hat distros use GNOME...

No. Canonical is just the other side of the same shitty coin. Their NIH syndrome is even stronger than RedHat's. Look at all their overpromising and underdelivering: Ubuntu One, Mir, Unity, Ubuntu Phone, etc.
Fuck companies, the only sane distros are by communities led by people who know their shit. Take Slackware for example - still going strong after all those years.

>cringe that stats

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20170801.iso

Fuck systemd and fuck "muh POZIX" cucks.

this

>Their NIH syndrome is even stronger than RedHat's.

They've finally given up and capitulated to redhat

Exactly, I hate when they are all quiet in deepthroating videos, what's the fun in that?

>>>/reddit/

It can be fun too when she tries but to make noise.

a.pomf.space/bstsdjddijgg.webm

>>Too much noise
>Not possible
youtu.be/hdHZ5hp45Fc?t=2m44s

Void
Free/OpenBSD TrueOS
Alpine
Slackware
Gentoo
Devan
As a matter of fact all the BSDs will do but they are a little behind compared to linux

i ran into t the issue on my lfs setup, including /etc/crypttab in the initramfs (dracut built) fixed it.

Can't watch the video now since I'm with family, but I guess I could see the fun in that. Based Japs make the best deepthroating videos.

It's strange they still have ATI listed

Gentoo
Funtoo
Slackware

nah
they're just incompetent

there's a lot of good stuff from redhat (vfio, for example)

launchd does not have this problem.

>systemd prevents encrypted systems from booting
systemdick fanboys BTFO

God what a fucking fag. The OSS community doesn't give a fuck about minorities. The guy who wrote Bash is black. We hate people who act like stuck up cunts and write abhorrent software. I hope some extremist neckbeard shoots this guy.

It's even worse when you look at the patch that fixes it

github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/0864d311766498563331f486909a0d950ba7de87

They used an arbitrary constant assuming that 0 would mean infinity forever and it turned out false. The cause of this *major* bug was simply bad practice.

The USEC_INFINITY constant is defined as boottime - 1, so it's certainly a positive number. I'm guessing what happened is they added this to their default config and that made it wait for USEC_INFINITY microseconds, which wasn't enough. Previously infinity was the default 0 value behaviour (a wild guess).

Also, a simple fix for this without patching systemd would be to change your config to set the timeout to 0, but then it would break again next update when the patch is applied.

Alternately, it would always work through the default, hardcoded behaviour if you just removed any configuration.

>BSD

The systemd epidemic encouraged me to try out BSD, which has been great for an older x86 desktop system. Sadly, a lot of my work uses CUDA, which isn't supported on FreeBSD. Maybe some day.

Also, I know it doesn't matter much because no attackers give a shit about FreeBSD, but it not having ASLR still makes me uncomfortable as a former security researcher

-- and the person who wrote openbox is a woman
nobody ever complains about them, because they're good pieces of software.

I'd take stdint any day over whatever ridiculous typedefs the Linux kernel uses, but that coding style for conditionals is just asking for another "goto fail" incident

it's cultural marxism.

When I worked in security research, my boss was a huge black dude who knew his shit, had high standards, and was amazing at security. I have a huge amount of respect for him. People who act like the only explanation for underrepresentation is racism piss me off like crazy.

I want to put my dick in his mouth

You're right, didn't even see that.

dumb frogposter

so tell me Sup Forums, how do I get rid of systemd and what do I use instead?

>if we can't get in it neither can you!
It's a feature, numbnuts

Frog website

>Will this madman be stopped before it's too late?
No. Enjoy faggots.

I abandoned Linux at the start of the Poettering reign of terror
I hope it ends, to make a comeback

>Will this madman be stopped before it's too late?
No, because ricers that just sit there and fuck with their WM and font rendering sit on Sup Forums and rambloe on about how systemd is fine because they don't have to actually deal with this retard's fuckups.

Most people on Sup Forums have never had to deal with Linux in any professional capacity. Hell, most people on Sup Forums probably have a job as a burger flipper. Their entire understanding of computers usually pertains to either ricing or video games (which is reflected in this board's content), so they have no idea why bugs like these are absolutely unacceptable.

Lennart is an asswipe, his software fucking sucks in terms of stability and security, and the only reason it has any traction is because Red Hat convinced the likes of Sup Forums that their vendor lock-in scheme totally isn't a vendor lock-in scheme.

>he's too stupid to switch to a distro without systemd

What OS should I use

If it is that bad, just stop using it.
Oh, wait

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenRC?wprov=sfla1

If you're looking for a desktop operating system and don't give a shit about some pretty nasty regressions/vulnerabilities, pretty much any Linux distro will work for you. I recommend Ubuntu, just because Canonical supports it well and there's a lot of info out there for it.

If you're looking for a desktop operating system and don't want to work around retarded shit that systemd causes, Devuan, Slackware, and Gentoo are basically the only major projects still fighting the good fight. It's only a matter of time until most software requires systemd, though, so no matter how long those guys hold out, you're going to have to cave in and use it one day.

I've personally just moved over to BSD. It's not as polished, but if you're familiar with Linux it shouldn't be any harder. PC-BSD just werks out of the box.

Voidlinux uses runit: its maintainers are both shit and basically non-existant.
Gentoo uses OpenRC: great maintainers but you'll have to compile everything
FreeBSD and OpenBSD use BSD init: both have very good maintainers, give you the option of using source-based or binary-based package distribution at will and interchange between them, but their hardware support is a bit behind, they're however both actively working on this possibly for the next major release.
TrueOS uses OpenRC with BSD init backend: Very good maintainers, work is backported from FreeBSD, work on the kernel is backported from the FreeBSD development branch which means it supports more hardware, it has a stable rolling release package distribution system that supports a lot of things freebsd doesn't, but it has a bunch of quirks like the lumina desktop and its own update system that makes you reboot for every update. Lumina is both a blessing and a curse though, as it gives you an intuitive GUI for configuration

I recommend FreeBSD personally, you can add binary repositories for the development branches which would give you the same packages as TrueOS. It's better if you're on older (graphics) hardware though until FreeBSD 12 is released.

As someone who hasn't yet been fucked over for using a systemd distro, I have a couple of questions.
Why do distribution developers keep using systemd if it's so bad?
How come there hasn't been a systemd-compatible fork that allows you to delegate the tasks to other smaller programs.
Why is the head developer so against at least adding the options to delegate tasks to other programs, doesn't it lower their workload?
I apologize if some of these sound smug, they weren't meant to, English is my second language.

Because redhat dictates the linux world and every other distribution is well aware that they'll have to put in tons of work if they don't just follow the trend.

This. I've met some EXTREMELY talented people who didn't need this social science bullshit just to justify more work for HR departments.

>mfw I don't have to deal with this shit because I'm on FreeBSD

ops quoted the wrong goy
it was meant for this globalist scum

What about Alpine for desktop?

I wonder if it has a glibc distribution, but musl really isn't viable for desktop just because the devs are so hard-headed.

Musl is a pain in the ass to port to anything of decent size, and the devs just refuse to define __MUSL__ to make it a bit easier to port. Not only that, they also refuse any semblance of compatibility with glibc. So end line is a lot of things won't work on your desktop. It's good for servers because it IS a better library and more efficient, and servers generally don't run really huge programs and libraries that run on glibc magic like gtk, webkit, qt, firefox, etc.

Things that do work are smaller, more posix-compliant and standard libraries like curses, X11, etc.

Otherwise alpine would be alright. I still recommend FreeBSD or OpenBSD because it does still have a bigger user base and is more supported.

None of the BSDs are compatible with my laptop, so I guess Gentoo is my only choice? (I'm not interested in Slackware)

How are they not? You can most likely make them work through the work they've been putting on their drm modules.

>>>/reddit/

Not him, but I wanted to run openbsd on my laptop until i realized they don't really support nvidia cards (no hardware acceleration, even on my ancient pos) or broadcom network cards

FreeBSD supports the proprietary nvidia drivers