/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Vega soon.

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/4n648d/gskill-tridentz-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c16d-16gtzkw
nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/amd/rx580/
nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1060/
pcpartpicker.com/list/xjw3Yr
amazon.com/MasterAccessory-Universal-VGA-Holder-MCA-0005-KUH00/dp/B01IQCBKOI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1501662164&sr=1-3&keywords=gpu brace
youtube.com/watch?v=eiy1kZaQT1s
youtube.com/watch?v=NCjYKDXmnAs
pcpartpicker.com/list/wmV4LD
youtube.com/watch?v=ylvdSnEbL50
pcpartpicker.com/list/Pp9dzM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I have a AMD 6300 i need to render from CPU which Ryzen CPU should i buy? i need mobo and ddr4 ram all under 500$

1700x

Going to re-post my question from the last thread.

Is this a good motherboard and a good price for this motherboard? I'm hoping to grab an R7 1700 when they are back in stock on amazon and I want to overclock to roughly 3.6-3.7ghz on all cores.

Also, is this good RAM for hitting 3200mhz?

pcpartpicker.com/product/4n648d/gskill-tridentz-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c16d-16gtzkw

I checked this particular motherboard's QVL on the ASUS website but couldn't find this particular ram kit on it. I found some that had similar product numbers up until a few of the digits but they also had different kit sizes and I am just a little confused about which memory to pick.

Find the exact model or we cannot guarantee you anything.

On the list = 100% works and will boost to the speed on the kit.
Not on the list = Try your luck.

why not a cheaper 320 from MSI

Looking to buy an RX 580, but they are out of stock everywhere. I assume this is a common question, but when goes anyone expect them to come back in stock? Even the 1060's are low and expensive at the moment

Sadly, Ryzen doesn't have integrated graphics, so can't wait it off without.

nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/amd/rx580/
nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1060/

I've gotten 4x8gb tridentz rgb sticks to 3200mhz stable at 14CAS so you should be okay. I haven't attempted anything higher than that

You can't buy one unless you're a miner and buy them in bulk or you buy one at a massively inflated price on eBay, get something else, as soon as they come in stock they'll disappear again within seconds.

How's my build so far?
I'm trying to make it a combination of attractive and powerful, without spending extra on features that I won't use.

pcpartpicker.com/list/xjw3Yr

When does the BreadDipper NDA lift, I thought it was this week?

>M2

Not bad son, personally wouldn't use that PSU but it's a fine choice. There are better coolers for the 1080Ti though.

>meme

Can the A320 chipset overclock? I was hoping to do some overclocking on whatever board I got.

Are you happy with the features that this board offers? I have heard that the audio is pretty nice compared to some of the other motherboards out there. That's part of the reason that I am considering this one.

I know Ryzen tends to do better with higher RAM clocks, but is 3200mhz a significant improvement over 2933mhz? I'd like to get as much gaming performance as possible, but it's not my only concern so I'd be willing to sacrifice some if I can have stability.

I think Thursday is the day according to a few tech channels for NutsLicker

>BreadDipper NDA lifts on Thursday
>Vega NDA lifts on 14th
What the fuck?

>Can the A320 chipset overclock?

You'll need B350 or X370 to overclock. B350 does it just fine.

I don't use the on board audio on that system, it's piped out via HDMI in my setup. You shouldn't run any settings that aren't 100% stable through a memtest and stability test. That said 2933 is maybe 2% worse or so in the extreme case. I think techreports did a memory analysis that showed that

>Not bad son, personally wouldn't use that PSU but it's a fine choice. There are better coolers for the 1080Ti though.
Any that are as small as the one on my list?
That was the best 1080 ti I could find for that size; I really don't want GPU sag.

Buy fishing lines to hang it up.
Or ghetto up some lego stand to prop it
Or if you are buying a 800 dollar card you can afford amazon.com/MasterAccessory-Universal-VGA-Holder-MCA-0005-KUH00/dp/B01IQCBKOI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1501662164&sr=1-3&keywords=gpu brace one of these

Get the evga sc2 if you want a good 2 slot card. Strip if you can do 2.5 slots

>strip

Wew I meant ASUS Strix

If you don't want GPU sagging you don't have many choices. Either a case with vertical mounting or motherboard laying flat. I'd say the best bet would be to get a case with mobo lying down.

MSI Gaming if you really need it to be 2 slots. The Strix and Aorus are a little better but if sag bothers you they are heavy as shit.

Make sure your card fits that case

Intel BTFO
youtube.com/watch?v=eiy1kZaQT1s

Specs right now:
>i5 3570k
>Gtx 760
>12 gigs of DDR3 RAM
>550 watt psu
>2TB HDD + 120GB SSD (these are still fine)
>Shitty 24" 1080p TN
Do I:
>Upgrade mobo
>Get r5 1600
>DDR4 RAM
>Mid range GPU
>maybe new case for non-shit cable management
>Maybe new PSU depending on GPU and CPU power
>Keep shitty TN and keep gaming in 1080p
Or do I:
>Upgrade to RX vega 64
>Upgrade to 4K ips/1440p widescreen ips display
>Hope i5 doesn't bottleneck
>Hope 550 watt is enough

>Upgrade to RX vega 64
>Hope 550 watt is enough
Hahahahahahahaha

why does pc part picker not have certain parts from dell? it has no optic drives for example

latter, i managed to run a 290 on a 450w unit without any house fires somehow. OC your 3570k for now and upgrade when 7nm ryzen has matured.

youtube.com/watch?v=NCjYKDXmnAs

Wanna reuse my old mobo and i5 3570k so was wandering if I could run it with linux without a GPU
Ill use it mainly for light gaming (snes emulator), drawing and watching videos
if i should get a gpu, can someone suggest something udner 50burgers pls

If your mwinboard has a connector you don't need a dedicated GPU, the IGP is plenty.

>GPU sag
Literally a non issue. 16 layer PCBs are stable as fuck and can take a bit of bending as long as it's not changing position all the time

>Acer Predator XB271
>core i5
>Evga 700 watt power supply
>8gb ram
>GTX 970
>G502
Have a 1080 ti coming soon. Planning on bumping up that ram too as well as the processor.
Should I settle for a core i7 or get an Xeon or core i9? How would you make my build better?

Ryzen 1700

>Looking for a new mATX case
>Corsair Air 240 looks great
>Apparently 1080 Ti is too big to fit in

fugg

Guess I'll go with Thermaltake Core V21. It has what I want but cables are gonna look somewhat messier.

pcpartpicker.com/list/wmV4LD

What do you guys think of this? Already have HDD and SSD from my old computer.

Good luck finding any 480 in stock

Where is the catch?
Is this card broken? How is it so cheap?

You know what they say about things being too good to be true

Currently waiting to see what third parties do with Vega, hopefully sapphires will be worth getting.

being a german cuck

I already have it

careful with the atx psu, non-blower cards have been known to overheat from lack of airflow in the nano s.

No you don't, good luck finding one though.

Then there is nothing wrong with your build.
Why do you need a X370?

there isn't much variety for itx on am4, looks like all b350 boards are unavailable.

what are you talking about, are you daft? why would I lie on a random imageboard about having a year old graphics card.

I've heard that having 2 case fans in front can eliminate a lot of extra heat from that, but it still is hotter than other cases.

Yep, there's about 2 itx mobos in stock and I would trust ASrock over biostar.

Nice fake image, you don't need to lie on the internet, we know you don't actually have a 480.

My bios settings reset when I turn off the power strip, after shutting down my PC. My mobo is a brand new MSI b350 tomahawk.
What is going on?
Is there an issue with the cmos battery, or could it be something else, lite the auto clear cmos option?

Dear Intel shills.
This is a reminder that the optimization in games DID come for AMD's FX chips, and the FX8350 outperforms the i5 2500K in most games.
The same will be true of Ryzen if it isn't already.
Future-proof is a thing.
youtube.com/watch?v=ylvdSnEbL50

OCing might require a new cooler too desu. I'm gonna try reapplying thermal post to see if it doesn't pull 50-60 °C in idle. The shitty cable management might cause a bit of that too.

Are there any major complaints about MSI B350M Mortar mATX motherboard? I'd like my next build to be smaller and this board is looking okay.

Is there any game out there right now that justifies a $1000+ PC?

144fps is a lot more demanding than 60. If you're fine with 60 then not really.

Is 144fps really that good? People told me g-sync was good and I got a monitor and I don't even notice it.

any better gpu for $661 aud than a 1080?

do you actually use gsynch though (games that support and nvidia card

1600x or 1700 will do you ok

I don't know. Does GTA V?

Yes.

>Is 144fps really that good?
No, not really, unless you are super into competitive shooters. Just having a 144Hz monitor is enough even if you are only getting around 60FPS, it means you never need vsync which is fucking cancer.

So don't get tearing unless your GPU is putting out frames higher than your monitor's refresh rate?

Is BreadDipper going to make any sense for gaming what so ever? I'm still on a 2500K with a 1080Ti, and looking at getting BreadDipper when it comes out.

I would guess it will have zero performance improvement over Ryzen 7 right now, but is there any chance in a few more years games will use the amount of cores it has? I don't do any productivity work at all. Would Intel's Coffee Lake make more sense for what I want to use it for?

With a 144Hz monitor you pretty much don't get any noticeable tearing at all, regardless of frame rate. It's still there but you'll stop caring and forget it exists within about 5 minutes.

So why does adaptive sync exist?

Adaptive sync is total shit and doesn't work, it's just an Nvidia marketing meme like most of their other technologies. Gsync works but you pay a premium for it.

Adaptive vsync was conceived when 99% of people were still using 60Hz monitors, it's useless on a 144Hz panel. In theory it turns vsync on when you have FPS to match your refresh rate, and off below it, but it doesn't really work that well.

You aren't going to get a consistent 144FPS in any game anyway, so it's kind of pointless to worry about vsync.

I meant G-sync. What is it good for if you don't get tearing with a 144 hz monitor?

For games it wont be noticeable as the difference between Threadripper and Ryzen is quad channel memory and extra PCIe lanes.

>if you don't get tearing
You do get tearing, but it's such a small amount it's not worth caring about. It's like the difference between 4x MSAA and Supersampling.

If you can, go to a store and use it and see if you care about it or not. Though I don't know if too many stores have demo 144Hz displays you can screw around with.

Nvidia could also support freesync but instead they charge a premium for their own version. Which makes some good monitors cost more than they should.

Yeah well G-sync actually works outside of a small range.

>not using freesync

can anyone recommend me a good mobo for an i7 7700k?

please don't meme me i already got the i7 anyway so its not like i can change my mind.
please just give me a general direction to look on because i want to grab it tomorrow already but i don't know what to look for.

>please don't meme me

But a used fury for $200.

you win im a pleb im not here to argue about brand loyalty i simply need help my choices right now is trusting thebestgamingmotherboards.com
or wait until someone actually gives me an informing reply here which would probably never happen but i really don't want to base my purchase on a site called thebestgamingmotherboards.

would an i5 2500k overclocked between 4.8-5 ghz depending on season bottleneck an rx vega?

if not, should i buy the watercooled version or just the 56?

i have a 750w power supply so it should probably be fine.

or should i just buy a new system at this point?

Sorry about the autism here.

Go for the ASUS PRIME Z270-A.

Top end Z270 chipset, looks sexy af, and is low in cost.

hahah its funny its actually the mobo i got for the first time.
it ended up having a problem with its chip and the place i got it at refuses to give me a new one because they claim i damaged it.
would prefer to avoid this one.

Get the CAS14 version of that RAM kit. The C16 one is dual rank hynix/Samsung E-die and struggles to clock high on any board as far as I know.

that's a kek

Asus makes great mobos, probably just got ripped off.
Best bet would be order from someplace that accepts returns.
I use a asus TUF Z270 mark 1, see if you can get a mark 2, they are very durable.
It even survived a power surge that killed the psu.

Hello Sup Forums i have some questions for you.

1) are all these parts compatible?

2) did i get the right ssd (m.2)

3) is there a cheaper psu i can get
? Is the one i have ok

4) is the ram ok for ryzen? Im too poor for 3200mhz samsung b-die but feel free to recommend other ram

5) is the gtx 1080 enough to play all games on very high at 1440p 60fps?

6) i live in korea and found this cheap ass monitor, is it ok? (Pic related)

7) any way i can make this build cheaper without losing performance

Im into gaming streaming workstation rendering cad multitasking everything basically

Sorry i forgot to mention i changed the ram to this cause its cheaper in korea

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit 8GBx2 DDR4 2400 MT/s PC4-19200 DIMM 288-Pin Memory BLS2K8G4D240FSA/

2400MHz RAM? You should go for 3200 or 2933 because Ryzen loves that speed. In some games you can see close to 20% increased performance in 2400 vs 3200.

>1) are all these parts compatible
Yes

>2) did i get the right ssd (m.2)
For your operating system, you're not going to notice a difference compared to a normal 2.5" SSD on a SATA connection. That said, Samsung Evos are damned good. Just don't expect it to be faster than a normal SSD.

>3) is there a cheaper psu i can get
>?Is the one i have ok
The one you have should be fine, but look at getting a G2 or G3 instead

>4) is the ram ok for ryzen? Im too poor for 3200 mhz samsung b-die but feel free to recommend other ram
Corsair vengeance ram is actually HIGHLY recommended because it generally has great compatibility with Ryzen and is fairly cheap. Good ram.

>5) is the gtx 1080 enough to play all games on very high at 1440p 60fps?
It's overkill. You could downstep to a GTX 1070, or an RX Vega 56 and get the performance you want

>6) i live in korea and found this cheap ass monitor, is it ok? (pic related)
144hz is overkill, especially if you're aiming for 60 fps. 144 hz monitors will support haming up to 144 fps. The monitor is overkill for your choices.

>7) any way i can make this build cheaper without losing performance
change the monitor for a 60hz monitor. I'd recommend a gaming monitor with some form of vsync. Each vsync technology is specific to a different manufacturer. If your graphics card is an AMD car, like the Vega RX 56 for example, you could get a fairly cheap vsync monitor. If you got an nvidia card though like a GTX 1070 or a GTX 1080, you have to pay out the ass for a monitor with G-sync.

AMD Vega cards are launching soon and prices were recently announced. a base model Vega RX 56 (which takes aim at the GTX 1070) will be $400 USD, while the top tier Vega RX 64 (taking on the GTX 1080) is $500.
All in all, the AMD platform in its entirety is cheaper.

Also, I would change the motherboard to one with better VRMs, and 4 ram slots. My personal recommendations are the MSI B350 Mortar and MSI B350 Tomahawk
stick to the Corsair ram

btw, AMD's vsync is called Freesync. I ran out of fucking characters in the post.

>is the gtx 1080 enough to play all games on very high at 1440p 60fps?
More than enough.

>i live in korea and found this cheap ass monitor, is it ok? (Pic related)
I envy you. Yes it'll be good, they'll just be using a Samsung panel I presume. I have a Qnix monitor which is the same deal, no name Korean monitors are a steal for the price.

>recommending someone get a shittier monitor when he lives in fucking korea where all the world's monitors are made
Are you gay or just retarded? Why would someone buy a 1080 and pair it with a shit monitor? 144Hz makes such a massive difference for games.

Replace the battery and make sure the cmos jumper isn't set to clear if it has a jumper connector.

So does Freesync/VESA Adaptive Sync if the refresh rate window is larger than monitor refresh rate/2.

Give me a quick rundown on CPU /pcbg/

no.

Please user-kun
I just trying to save some money

Watch some benchmarks on youtube.

i don't have one but I heard the board's VRMs heat up like a bitch so I am going for an AB350M Pro4 from ASSROCK

R7 1700
Slightly over 500, but you can likely find some cheaper RAM
pcpartpicker.com/list/Pp9dzM