Radio Autism General - /rag/

Radio Autism General - /rag/

>Discord
discord.gg/aKnVs5f

>WebSDR (Netherlands)
websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

>Normie-tier FAQ
pastebin.com/9uYXMhVm

Feel free to ask any questions here or in discord.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_node_controller
elazary.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51:hacking-the-uv3r&catid=14:baofeng-uv5r&Itemid=17&limitstart=2
github.com/lelazary/UV3RMod
elazary.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49:hacking-the-baofeng-uv5r&catid=14:baofeng-uv5r&Itemid=17
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Can you hook up ota to a scanner?

If you're talking about an amplifier, idk, I'm sure there are much better amplifiers out there. You'll want something with really low noise.

I'm sure you could but you would be limited to HDTV frequencies.

Wiki for US:
" the VHF band which comprises channels 2 through 13 and occupies frequencies between 54 and 216 MHz, and the UHF band, which comprises channels 14 through 83 and occupies frequencies between 470 and 890 MHz."

what kinda of antenna are you using?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_node_controller

cant a TNC be replaced with foss software now and a digital analog converter?

couldnt i just use a computer and screen and keyboard with a irc and have a DIY TNC without the extra box?

NA-771. There's a few fakes on amazon, so be careful. If you want a link to the real one I can send it.

And it's an SMA, I pretty much just use it with my UV-5R (which has twice the scanning speed of the newer UV-82.)

look at soundmodem for linux.

btw don't go "muh raspberry pi + uv-5r" I learned the hard way.

I can recycle my sound cards!

Thanks!
Exactly what I was looking for.
This is why I love Hams who tinker.

Just be warned -- the noise from the CPU is your enemy. If you're using VOX (voice activation to transmit), be sure you can set it high.

Unfortunately, baofeng's VOX settings range from 0-10, but don't do anything..

Intersting.
I'd figure the newer model would be better.

How does the uv-5r+/v2 compete?

I think the only reason the UV-82 scans slow is because it has 2 transmit buttons. This is just a theory though.

Does the noise change with different architectures?

Meaning ARM/MIPS? (compared to x86/64)

Noise is very unpredictable. Your sound card may or may not have filters to prevent it though, but I would be surprised.

what do you think of this baofeng?
this guy was able to heavily modify it easier than the uv5r

too bad it doesnt have a keypad

elazary.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51:hacking-the-uv3r&catid=14:baofeng-uv5r&Itemid=17&limitstart=2

also i wish their SOC was open so we could flash it with homebrew software

will we ever have a FOSS ham radio or will it have be a diy SDR built up a module at a time

heres the repo with the flashable software
its outdated though

github.com/lelazary/UV3RMod

pretty amazing what he was able to achieve with that simple handheld

I wasn't expecting a clean gui.

Very nice!

Personally I would avoid the UV-3R, I would even go as far as to call it a collectors item at this point. It's probably the exact same cost as the UV-5R everywhere (if not more expensive.)

Interesting; I wonder if there's a comprehensive list of updates. Or a similar project for UV-5R.

What do you recommend for an earpiece? What would you combine it with radio wise? Besides that edgy spy gear video radios, are there any actually good video radios that aren't for autists? Please answer my questions, thanks user.

You can just use normal headphones. With a baofeng you'll want to use a 1.8mm to 3.5mm adapter for the headphones. They're pretty cheap.

I would pretty much just get a UV-5R or a UV-82. There's a lot of documentation on them and they don't have sticker shock.

youre probably right.

that guys site i linked he has a section for uv5r hardware modifications too

elazary.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49:hacking-the-baofeng-uv5r&catid=14:baofeng-uv5r&Itemid=17

Thanks user, I'll look into it.

Interesting, it looks like you could make it scan from python. Might even be able to scan faster -- the bottleneck might be something stupid like the LCD. Who knows.

tnc

cool.

thanks for the help!

Woah!
Really?

I cant wait to get one now and tinker with some hardware and interface with my linux machine!

Why should I choose Baofeng over something established like Yaesu or Icom?

Cheaper entry into the hobby.

bump

bump

bump