/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Vega soon.

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/PDJtD8
pcpartpicker.com/user/chaos1463/saved/kHc3CJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/smMw4C
pcpartpicker.com/list/wqzkQV
youtube.com/watch?v=LbpqkiaO7q4
es.pcpartpicker.com/guide/tXNnTW/entry-level-gaming-build
corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-clear-600c-inverse-atx-full-tower-case
youtube.com/watch?v=nuFGUVg0U9U
ebay.com/p/HP-611835-001-LGA-1155-Intel-Motherboard/141717495
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NKGnRG
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Previous thread:

First for Thotripper

pcpartpicker.com/list/PDJtD8
I want to upgrade to Coffee Lake when it comes (sometime this month)?
Stuff marked as purchased is what I can reuse from my current build
Any thoughts? And is the FTW3 iCX cooler quieter than the 2 fan version?

I thought Coffee Lake's supposed to be incompatible with Z270 boards?

Can't seem to find QVL for Asus Prime B350M, anyone got a link or something ?
Plus any straight up ram models you'd recommend for that mobo, I'm thinking 2x8gb

Is it? I read something like a week ago that it was gonna work with any 1151 board.
It doesn't really matter for me either way as I have to buy a new mobo regardless.

same socket, different chipset

Gotcha, I guess I'll have to buy a Z370 mobo when Coffee Lake is released
I really hope EVGA has a Z370 board upon release.

pcpartpicker.com/user/chaos1463/saved/kHc3CJ

how's this look? first time picking parts, threw this together over my break, I'm no stranger to building though.

planning on upgrading to an i7 later, getting a better gpu, and will be getting an ssd next paycheck

im broke, need an upgrade from a sempron 3850 and a gt 710 for under 200 bucks
pcpartpicker.com/list/smMw4C

will possibly add a GPU later if the APU isnt enough, likely an rx 470 when the miners start dropping them

shit not sure if that link will work for anyone but me here maybe this one pcpartpicker.com/list/wqzkQV

uh how do i reset my bios
its saying something like "the following product info in the mainboard is wrong"

if you plan on upgrading later to a 7700k or something, dont bother with the i5, go with a pentium G4560 or something, perfectly paired with the 1050ti

>i5 instead of 5zen
5zen better
>wifi on a desktop
save the money and powerline

2 more days until my new build arrives

I need help. iw as building my PC but it doesn't work:

>Plug PC into electricity and screen via VgA
>The computers seems to work fine, all the coolers working, leds on, etc
>But monitor won't show anything
>Also PC shut down after 10 seconds and turn on again without me touching anything

show us a list of the stuff you got

youtube.com/watch?v=LbpqkiaO7q4

Is Seasonic M12II-EVO520 a good PSU ?
I have a very limited availability for high quality PSUs (most discussed "good" PSUs are nowhere to be found locally)
The evo520 is surprisingly cheap and on official site shows that it's fully modular, although on the store I'm looking at it, there's a picture that it's semi-modular
If that doesn't work out, what about Cooler Master V series RS550-AFBAG1-EU, or just recommend some models I could look into for ~550W
Don't plan to overclock, maybe just a little bit, no plan to stress the build too much, so basically just need a high enough quality PSU to feel safe and use it for years to come

What the fuck is this motherboard

Okay so can we talk about Vega? Is it really that bad? Do Nvidia cards really age much worse? Will a 80-series Nvidia last me at least 3 years, because I'm kind of content with upgrading a video card once in 3 or so years? Will the non-reference design Vegas be much better, with OC out of the box and better cooling system than a "metal brick with one fan"? When are they supposed to come out?

Honestly, the only thing that even makes me consider buying AMD is Freensync. Lots of very attractive monitors with it if you don't want 144Hz IPS.

Too early to tell anything really specific about vega, it still lacks proper drivers or even getting non-reference launch

Well this sucks because I need to buy a monitor very soon.

es.pcpartpicker.com/guide/tXNnTW/entry-level-gaming-build

It should work since that build is used by lots of people.

Also this is my first build, maybe I missed something. Do I need to connect a data sata between motherboard and PSU or just the power one?

Well if current generation is anything to go by, you might as well stick to AMD, they really didn't fuck up with 480/580 (although the price after miners fucked everything up is atrocious, at least where I live) so maybe VEGA won't disappoint in the long run or they'll release new series that will also be great

Fuck off underage

Any idea if Corsair CMU16GX4M2C3200C16 (the white led ones, I know, LEDS and all that shit, but it's actually one of the best prices I can get, compared to other RAM) will be compatible(QVL) with ASUS Prime B350M-A mobo, since I can't find the fucking QVL for that mobo

you need to connect your monitor to the GPU, not the motherboard

you need a HDMI cable

as for the computer turning off after 10 seconds, I don't know what could it be, try to remove the cpu cooler, change the thermal paste and install it again, it may be sitting on the processor improperly

any anons here planning threadripper builds? post 'em senpai

>Tinfoil builders
Yes we get it, you have super secret files and don't want backdoors.

RAM manufacturers have their own QVL lists, try looking it up on Corsair site?

will the prices of midtier GPUs such as gtx 1060 and rx580 go back to normal by the end of this month? or am I deluding myself? when do you anons think is best time to buy?

Intel
>just works

AMD
>just wait

is this a meme?

corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-clear-600c-inverse-atx-full-tower-case

>1950X
>that 140mm Noctua cooler they made for the socket
>(don't know the mobo yet, will get one with 10g ethernet and the best power delivery I can find because I want crazy overclocks on zen2/3)
>128-256GB of DDR4 3600MHz (3200 if it doesn't work)
>two samsung 960 pro 2TB
>watercooled RX Vega 64 (best freesync card that'll be available this year)
>coolermaster H500P

Where can I buy a 486DX and a Socket 2 motherboard with VLB???

holy fuck I'm stupid, I managed to find the QVL on asus too, it lists the same RAM but on 3000MHz and CL15, no word on 3200MHz CL16
How likely would the faster RAM work properly or should I just go with the bit slower but supported RAM
I thought I read that the support is getting better and better, so should that mean that even if now the faster RAM might not work properly, it could later on ?
Corsairs site wasn't helpful

>10g ethernet

if im a stupid burger with shit net speeds this will be useless for me, correct? best burger net is like 1 gbps fiber

I plan on building a NAS for myself too, and I don't want to bottleneck file transfer on LAN

>you need to connect your monitor to the GPU, not the motherboard
I tried connecting it with a HDMI. Need I to buy a dvi-vga adapater or something like that?

>256 GB RAM

p sure all the mobos only support 128 GB

thanks boys. will update list in a bit. so I do like the price of the g4560, so do I go with that or the 5zen or whatever? and why?

also, I've heard often there's not a whole lot of reason to go over 16gb of ram, but I do like being able to multitask. will I be fine?
appreciative of all your help

I guess that's why all those people are waiting for Coffee Lake.

It's HUGE, do you really need a full tower?

>locked i5 in the year of Ryzen

If you are really too poor for 7700k but want to buy into the platform, get a Pentium to hold you over.

I still think it's dumb and you should just get god's gift to man the R5 1600, then you don't have to waste money/time for upgrades.

>only 8 dimm slots per socket
what is this trash?

i could do without, but as far as dimensions go it doesnt seem that outrageous, there are mid towers that size?

i was more inquiring about the inverse setup.

So my grandparents dont understand building a pc but im not gonna pass up a free computer
Is this good for older games and tekken 7?
3.6ghz intel i7-7700 quad core 8 threads
16gb ddr4 sdram
Nvidia gtx 1060 6gb

My motherboard finally went out in my HP 8200,

The power supply is also loud as fuck so I want to replace both.

I'm a noob and I've never even built a PC before.

Suggestions?

What would be a good compatible motherboard and power supply?

yes

The Pentium would be a good pick if you intend to upgrade, since its cheaper and still good for most games in 1080p. Saving you a significant sum of money over the i5 that would later be replaced anyway.
The other anons suggestion of going Ryzen is also a good pick for future upgrade plans, though I would get a Ryzen R3 1200, their basic cheap quad-core. They're 120$ compared to the Pentium at 80$. You would need a nicer motherboard comparable to that Z270 board for a potential future upgrade to say a Ryzen R7 1700 or 1800.

16gb of ram is plenty for gaming and multitasking, realistically you could get away with 8 but extra headroom is always nice. 32gb initially wouldn't be used for anything right now unless you do professional work that requires a lot of ram. But ram is an easy thing to upgrade in the future if you need 32gb later.

That's good for every modern game, pretty much.

youtube.com/watch?v=nuFGUVg0U9U
start on 37:35, raja says 256GB on TR

Thanks guys.

oh sick i stand corrected

don't mind it too much, with so many rumors saying different things these last months it's easy to get it wrong, at least now we have a official-ish confirmation

Your video card doesn't seem to have VGA out, or the analog pins of DVI.
Either way, post photos of your PC's inards.

I think one of these is what you are looking for. I would just buy a new pc because those MBs cost half or even more than that PC alone.

fuck forgot link
ebay.com/p/HP-611835-001-LGA-1155-Intel-Motherboard/141717495

What's the most modular/compatible mid/full tower case?

cooler master master case series

I am unsure if upgrading my FX-6300/GTX 1060 build is worth it (I'd upgrade the CPU/MOBO/RAM) because there aren't any actually good games that require lots of power that are coming out, are there any good ones coming out at all (exc. indies)?

new assassins creed looks alright
middle earth shadow of war also looks pretty good
destiny if you're into those fps mmo's
new wolfenstein - first was good

Forza 7 is coming out That looks alright. Forza games are always a blast.

Hey Sup Forums, anybody got experience with eGPUs? Or even laptop CPUs?

I've got a Latitude E6440 that I want to get an eGPU for. I've got expresscard gen-2, which the forums say won't be a bottleneck for any cards.

My CPU is a 4702MQ, and I'm thinking of getting a 1070 or 1060. I really want 120FPS@1080p, I don't play very demanding games.

Is my shitty CPU gonna fuck me? I could upgrade to a 4900 or a 4900mx line and get
good overclocking, but I seriously doubt my laptop could handle the temps, because my current CPU will already brush 90C under a benchmark.

an overclocked ryzen 3 processor shits on that FX-6300 both in single and multithread, you'd see some reasonable performance improvement on old cpu heavy games

How are EVGA mobos? I don't want to give any more of money to chink companies with shit support.

I considered a Ryzen 3 but 1600 provides a really REALLY significant boost to FPS in comparison and I can afford it, it's just that I don't really know what I'd have to play in the future, the only thing bugging me now is Nier not holding 60 (hovering around 45-55) and Witcher 3 also hovering from 45-65

Looks like the Maker 5 is best for me.

And uhh I guess PS2/PS3/3DS emulation is not the best either so I'd like to play that stuff too

Just got my new pc build and I notice the rear exhaust fan is making a clicking noise. Thinking maybe a cable was hitting or something I checked it out but nope it's clear, no obstruction. The sound seems to be the fan itself, it moves back and forth on its central mount. Is this a problem? It's not too loud and I always wear headphones so idgaf. Just wondering if it can cause damage. My hunch is it won't.

what was that about driver 17.7.2 improving driver overhead? has anyone actually confirmed this via benchmarks?

EVGA products are great and as you said they are all made in USA

oWo what's this

how to overclock ryzen on a320 board? there's a bios mod right?

You chuck that shit in the trash and buy an Intel rig like a white man.

not interested schlomo

reported

You can't. Overclocking is only allowed on B350 and X370 motherboards. There's no mod to unlock overclocking

bitch ass nibbas, guess i have to be a good goy and shell out for b350

Pc Exploded, needing a hella cheap one hella fast. Mainly for Essays and browsing but games are essential however not anything advanced mainly csgo, binding of issac, overwatch etc. Thoughts?

better than on Intel and having to shell out for Z270 for overclocking

yeah. that psu probably isn't the best for the price, not sure who fractal's psu oem is, I'm sure you can find a 400w or 450w seasonic built unit at that price which would be ideal.

autism and faggotry

Any recommendations?

>GTX1050 2GB

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

plz, mercy

just wait, no good games coming

only thing worth upgrading for right now are cemu and rpcs3, but honestly your fx6300 might just cut it for those emulators once they're more optimized assuming you overclock it to at least 4.5

get 8gb ram

That CPU will fuck you. Why not get a PC?

Gotchu oniichan
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NKGnRG

It's a lot cheaper to buy a PSU, a GPU, and an eGPU connector than to build a whole PC.

1070 or vega 56

do you want a gpu that's going to lose support in two years or five?

can you cope with increased power draw and thermals?

Vengeance lpx at 3000/3200

Its pretty low profile, pretty cheap, comes in a few colors, and doesn't look retarded

Would you rather go with an intel i7 7700 or an amd ryzen 7 1700?