Vi or Emacs?

so?

Other urls found in this thread:

fqa.9front.org/fqa8.html
doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/4th_edition/papers/acme/
doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/4th_edition/papers/sam/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Vim keybindings in VS Code, Intellij IDEA or Visual Studio.

What's the best for Python?

Neither. I use the superior, cross-platform, well-rendered, fast Atom editor. This isn't 1985. Get with the times.

I might be illiterate but atom takes AGES to open in my ubuntu vm

>VM

Atom is anything but fast.

How can you argue that an ancient (synchronous) text editor is _faster_ than a modern, cross-platform runtime?

I like to believe nobody on Sup Forums uses emacs.

True, they are all repping Atom!

>editing text on a browser
lmao

I unironically use emacs for almost everything I do. Music, RSS, email, and programming.

Are you suggesting that the majority of the world never edits text in a browser? You are in for a rude awakening.

Editing text in a terminal "emulator". lmao.

>61701979
You disgust me. It's 2017. Grow up.

Sorry that you can't remember basic keybinds, brainlet. Enjoy your mouse.

VIM bindings mongoloid.

>editing text in an operating system

i use stock emacs for org mode.

>modern, cross-platform runtime
Precisely therefore.

>Are you suggesting that the majority of the world never edits text in a browser?
No, only that it sucks and they don't know what they're doing.

Whyever would you be hoping for such a thing?

> Literally hundreds-of-millions of people more successful than you don't know what they're doing.

Great logic. I hope you're not a programmer.

>hundreds of millions
Poo doesnt count

>hundreds-of-millions of people
You must be speaking of people who don't edit text for a living, unlike me.

Emacs FTW!

Emacs. Even though lisp is a retard commie language.

Wtf, I hate Emacs now.

Vim.

Sublime

Learn vim first then transition to Emacs with evil. The emacs hotkeys are awful by default, but as a software package it's all I use.

Emacs has a ton of utilities, and plugins you can download.
Too bad it lacks a decent editor.

>The emacs hotkeys are awful by default
No they aren't. They are actually the first thing that attracted me to Emacs when I first started using it.

Different people like different things. We're definitely in the minority, though. A lot of people like vim keybinds.

I keep my keybinds mostly stock, but I use modalka for modal editing like vim so I don't have to hit ctrl nearly as much.

>modal editing
What are you using to get back out of insert mode? I like the idea of modal editing, but I do prefer using modifier keys to having to reach over to the Esc key all the time to switch modes. One of the main things that I like about stock Emacs bindings is that literally everything is available within the stands alphabetic part of the keyboard, so that everything is within the reach of my fingers and I never have to move my arms around to reach other parts of the keyboard.

i just use vanilla gedit

I just remapped caps lock to escape and then use escape to change modes. No sane person has a use for caps lock.

Not too bad, I guess, but I use caps lock to switch between keyboard layouts.

is hhkb good for emacs or vim?

Ctrl + [ is pretty good to get into normal mode.

True enough, hadn't considered that, will try the next time I'm using vi. Thanks for the tip.

>>>vm

Just as good for either. Emacs already keeps within the main part of the keyboard, so it would be exactly the same. Vim probably benefits more from it, since the Esc key comes closer.

how often do you switch between fucking keyboard layouts? I do it maybe once a day. I have it bound to meta+space bar.

Quite often; I use the US layout for anything programming or system related, but my native' country's layout whenever I need to type text in that language, so I switch back and forth on a fairly regular basis.

>tfw open a small css file
>it takes 13 seconds to open
I like using Atom but fucking hell it's so slow

>vi=vim
Off yourself subhuman scum.
The simple elegance that was vi got mutilated by some jew who wants you to donate to nigger babies in africa.
Certainly it wouldn't be fair to compare vi to the horrendous bloated mess that is emacs. Now emacs vs vim is ok since they are both overgrown piles of poo.

a vi clone with a decent extension language would be nice

perhaps scheme though i think neovim has lua

Have you considered using Sublime? It's far less autistic. Free key from CIA vault7 on WikiLeaks

I used to use sublime, I the feel and plugins for Atom more
No need for a key either, there are publicly available commands to modify the program so it's activated

chromaggus text editor is what I use. It's not a terminal-based emulator but it's still really good.

>reach over Esc

I wonder how is the emacs user world, esc is literally at the tip of the middle finger for every task done with keyboards on shells/terminals/multiplexers having it on the editor is just natural.

>esc is literally at the tip of the middle finger
No, at the top of the middle finger is the numbers row. In order to reach the Esc key, you need to move the whole hand up by an amount similar to reaching over to the arrow keys with the right hand. In Emacs' default bindings, literally every keybinding is within the main part of the keyboard.

Emacs with vim keybindings. It just makes the work flow so much better.

I can read programming ebooks and code on the side in the same environment.

I can keep schedules and todo lists

I can use a shell within the program

And many other things I still have no idea of.

I long for the day when the Emacs GUI browser is up and running.

vim for less bloat. its a text editor not an os within os, this isnt the matrix or inception

For me the main part of the keyboard are command keys, and it's important the fact I can activate them with a single hand.
Btw do emacs user tend to use the GUI front-end?
I think that is the main difference between vim and emac users, vim users tend to couple it with shell tools and pipe stuff in to it with tiling wm or terminal multiplexers while emacs users do everything inside of it.

I don't care what editor you use as long as it's Turing complete. Personally though, I use Vim because it's elegantly lightweight, simple, and yet powerful. Emacs gives you much more customization, I'll give it that.

Nano

>written by McCarthy
>commie

What's a good emacs tutorial?

the info pages and experimentation

I vomited a little.

I use Emacs it really excels at working with any language with a REPL. I can also easily use debuggers, git, switch easily between projects, and edit remote files.
Emacs has also completely infiltrated my personal life, since tools like org-mode and ledger-mode are vastly superior to other tools. The strength of Emacs is in customizing it so that it fits your workflow exactly.

I haven't used Vim much, but it seems like it appeals more to a terminal-centric workflow alongside other tools, as opposed to the Emacs swallow-everything-including-the-terminal philosophy.

Emacs

You fucking manchild faggot

>fast
it takes 10 seconds to open up and lags during editing even on small files

VIM for editing text (like configs or some small stuff)
emacs - as IDE (and more!)

that's one disgusting color scheme

I almost always have Emacs open for one reason or another, I wish my whole computing environment was more like it.

Vim is neat, I like its editing model, but trying to cram extraneous features into it is like flogging a dead horse. I would love to see some kind of revival for Acme, looking into it really blew me away. It makes Vim's 'Unix as your IDE' implementation look incredibly clumsy and backwards by comparison. However, it's really not at home on Linux.

>command keys
What are the "command keys"? By the main part, I mean the part that contains the alphabetic keys.

>Btw do emacs user tend to use the GUI front-end?
I can't speak for others, but on my main computer I use the X front-end, yes. However, with the menubar and toolbar turned off, it's basically identical to the terminal front-end except that all keys are usable. I do use the terminal front-end over SSH connections, though, and the difference is minimal. The most I notice is that M-C-S-v can't be used in the terminal.

vim desu

also you should be using vimfx with your browsers

>atom
>not vim
get the fuck out of my face

>Acme, looking into it really blew me away
Why, if I may ask? As soon as I saw that it was mouse-focused, I was immediately disgusted.

>modern, cross-platform
GNU Emacs runs on pretty much anything as well. Try running Atom on Android, I dare you.

>not using notepad++
weak

man I lost that fizzbuzz webm of acme that shit was really dope

nano

nvim

I use Vim so I can be useful on any terminal

GNU Emacs with some setup like Prelude or Spacemacs

>fast

atom is literally the slowest text editor out there

neither

>esc
>q!

Spacemacs evil mode

Vim8 is asynchronous and the time you take to load Atom on a single file I'm already editing 2 different files. Vim let's you edit code at the speed of thought. Fucking hipsters...

How hard is it to figure out Emacs if I've editing with Vim for 6 months?

regarding the mouse usage you can can read this[0], I believe that in that document there is also a link to a web page that talks about "scientific" evidence of the mouse being faster of the keyword usage, is also interesting to read about this topic the papers about acme(1)[1] sam(1)[2] and another one that in don't remember about the blit terminal or one of the first about plan9 that explain the reason for the mouse usage instead of falling into using more and more complicated key bindings

[0] fqa.9front.org/fqa8.html
[1] doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/4th_edition/papers/acme/
[2] doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/4th_edition/papers/sam/

Atom for basic scripts, PyCharm for projects.

I've been*

keyboard*
I*

>I believe that in that document there is also a link to a web page that talks about "scientific" evidence of the mouse being faster of the keyword usage

please notice the
>I believe
and by the way I'm taking about things like text selection in opposition to ctrl - v jjjjjhhkkkkklllkk

9front is soo sexy! It's a pure joy to browse web-pages made by maintainers of the project.

Vim's a trash editor. What I want is modal editing.

Emacs if you enjoy Lisp and don't have any vi muscle memory yet (evil is shit), otherwise vim.

8/10

>ctrl - v jjjjjhhkkkkklllkk
See, that is precisely why PC editors suck in comparison with either Emacs or vi. Proficient users don't select text like that, unless in very tiny amounts, in which case it is indeed faster to type a few repeated keys instead of reaching for the mouse.

JetBrains and their products

ah, the old favorite "boogers on raw sewage" color scheme