Why don't you have a solar panel pack to charge your devices...

Why don't you have a solar panel pack to charge your devices? They have panels now that fold up and easily fit in your messenger bag.

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/ALLPOWERS-Portable-Solar-Panel-18V-18W-Solar-Maintainer-Charger-for-Automobile-Motocycle-Car-Boat-Tractor-Batteries/32790489788.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I live in a country full of clouds

Sorry

Because I don't go camping often enough to have a need for one.

Those aren't great panels....

>messenger bag
lol OP carries a purse

Because I have a power brick to charge my shit instead.

>leaving the house

fucking casual

Poor weight and cost to usage value. Just find a fucking outlet.

because i have a inefficient and polluting generator that also lets everyone in this neighborhood know i have power while they sit in darkness.

i love it

how long does it take to charge your laptop? 2 days? if so then fuck that. it's too slow

It depends on the maximum power output and the amount of sun, you... you double nigger.

The real question is what the fuck is this?

google it, faggot

I know what it fucking is, faggot.

>britbong
you have bigger problems

So 1 day near the Sun? It's shit.

Get batteries.

Actually, it's possible to run your laptop entirely on solar power on a sunny day, let alone charge it.

The ground hasn't thawed in years here. I get insane temps when I open the windows though.

But that'll deplete the energy from the sun. What will we do when it's gone?

Then why did you even bother wasting your time asking the question, holy fuck.

>messenger bag

I did some rough math to see what one of these units can do.

Dimensions of portion of unit with panels: 0.95m * 0.6m = 0.57m^2
Round down to account for spacing between panels 0.5m^2
Efficiency of panels is supposed to be 0.22, will say 0.20
Will assume efficiency of DC-DC conversion and battery charging has efficiency around 0.75
That means we should get 0.075 of the solar insolation. (1m^2/0.5m^2 * 0.20 * 0.75 = 0.075)

Even in place with a lot of clouds or fairly north in the winter the insolation is usually above 2kWh/m per day for a flat facing panel.

That means in we should expect to end up with at least ~150Wh of energy per day in a non-ideal location. The highest default laptop batteries are

You can charge macbooks from battery banks. Pic related has enough capacity to change a mbp three times.

yes but only the new ones... almost woth the usbc dongle hassle - almost made me wanna upgrade instead i just built something for my 2011 mba with spare 1650s and magsafe cable from a busted charger

I haven't purchased nor made one yet. I do have a solar power bank though, I've never plugged it in to charge once.

Because I avoid getting out of the house at all costs

A computer

> (OP)
>Poor weight
So diet, fucking dumbass

>implying there are outlets in the great outdoors

>for a flat facing panel.
A panel laying flat on the ground is inefficient.
Then, will one charge last you a day? will you leave your stuff laying there for 8 hours? You need to charge some battery bank with the soler cells, making it twice as heavy and even more inefficient.

Sure it's good for the apocalypse or just camping, but then you just need a smaller one for your phone.

I just ordered pic related from aliexpress, and I planning to charge a power bank with it, with will charge my phone at night.
It generates about 0.5-1A at 5V, alongside with the powerbanks 0.2A solar panel it will be sufficient enough

that's pretty low. when are you gonna use it?

the best way to use these things is in conjunction with
you attach the solar panel to your backpack when you're hiking or in the back window of your car when your driving on the highway or whatever and have it charge 1 or 2 of these batteries. then at night you use the batteries to recharge your phone or laptop or whatever.

I will place it on my window and so it will charge all day, and at night I will charge my phone with the powerbank

These things look really good these days. You can get enough power to run a phone and ultrbook for about $50. I'll definitely get one if I'm ever going to travel with the chance of no access to power. Until then though it doesn't cost me more than $15/year to get that power from the wall.

Backpack use sure isnt going to be very efficient most of the time.

But you already have power at home...?

Yeah, but I try to minimize my power needs, I am a "greenfag"
>inb4 cancerbank and cancer sticker
They are shipped to africa anyway, and I don't care about that shithole

Yes flat facing is inefficient, I was just trying to find out the energy produced in near worst case scenario, though I was a little optimistic on the DC-DC conversion it closer to 0.60. This type of set up would have plenty of utility for camping or field work, adding a powerbank is not a big deal. A modern 100Wh power bank will weigh around a pound today (EasyAcc 20000mAh @ 5V = 100WH is 454g).

DC-DC conversion is way more efficient than you think, it's easily above 90% if not 95%

At optimal voltage and current it is, though from reading reviews people are saying that you are looking at 60% in real world conditions for these solar set ups.

I asked in /o/ and never got a response
If I got a device that could convert 5v from a usb battery bank to 12/14v for my car could I just plug it into the cigarette jacks and have it slowly charge my battery?
Or would it blow a fuse/something else up?

because I use one of these

The sun is for everyone, asshole. Stop hogging it all up.

aliexpress.com/item/ALLPOWERS-Portable-Solar-Panel-18V-18W-Solar-Maintainer-Charger-for-Automobile-Motocycle-Car-Boat-Tractor-Batteries/32790489788.html

It's already a thing

you could, but you'd be better off using a small solar panel, they've been available for years, ones that plug into the cigarette socket

neat
I was mostly asking because I keep a battery bank in my car at all times, and when I go on trips I always take a much bigger bank with a solar panel built in
Might just get one of those since they're so cheap, and my car has a dash thats about 30 feet long

you are better off going through the OBD2 port, by the standard pin 16 is a 12V connection to the battery and pin 4 is ground.

Compared to nameplate capacity, perhaps, but dc-dc converters are reasonably efficient at handling whatever they're given.

t.houseplant

I actually might have to do that instead
My car shuts off power to the cig lighters when its off, but my obd2 reader will stay on 24/7 if I leave it plugged in
I'll have to see though, the cig ligher would be perfect because I have one right next to the center console on the passenger side and running the cable behind the growth known as a radio would be easy

>MUH HOUSEPLANT CONSPIRACY
go back to /out/

If you want to be green you should be as efficient as possible. If it's not saving you money it's probably less efficient. You are a cancer on the earth with an out of control ego pretending to save the planet. Greenest thing to do at this point is KYS.

>Charing battery via obd2

Is it even safe?

Yes, it all standard and you don't have to worry about those pins leading to other accessories. It is safer than going through the cigarette lighter on modern cars.

How do you carry it in your man purse? You must be a big guy.

>this tiny ass solar panel actually powering up a laptop
Nope.

Those things are quire noisy, but i barely can hear it when i fire up my retro PC with an geforce FX5800

Unless it is a DTR then it will, it can provide 60W at peak. Heck even Clevo models with desktop i7s draw less than 55W at load while on battery. This solar panel will be more than enough to power and charge Y and U series Ultrabooks and H-series Notebooks. Unless you need constant load power this panel will be more than adequate.

>saving you money it's probably less efficient
>implying that your econ 101 fantasies are reflections of reality instead of delusions of morality
You really need to step outside more often.

I wouldn't. I'd add an unswitched cigar lighter jack directly to the battery and plug it in there.

I got a 14 Watt folding panel, takes about as much space as a large tablet. on a sunny day I can get full 2.1A 5V out of it. if it's cloudy I can generally charge at 1A for the powerbank.

This has enabled me to spend an entire week out boating, fishing and camping without hassle.

Interesting.

So it won't be be enough to Power a normal laptop most of the time. Ultra low power, most of the time sure.

My city is cloudy 60% of the year.

(OP)
I can understand having a solar panel or a few on your roof, but when would you use a portable one?

You'd have to be hiking on foot or some thing like that. Why aren't you using technology to avoid the "on foot" part instead?

Actually that also doesn't work too well because how do you even use a bigger solar panel while walking? I guess you'd have to be stuck in some camp site with no power?

Why would I avoid something I'm going out of my way to do?

Solar panels on you roof is pointless unless it's for survival/prepping, or you get some massive state rebate.

Some people enjoy walking in nature you know.

Does one like this actually charge a laptop?

I think he wants to know what laptop is that

We'll use up all the wind power next my man.

What do you consider normal? A Dell XPS 15 with a 4k display and a GTX 1050 at 200 nits will use 25W while running the WEBGL benchmark. Laptops have plenty of dynamic power scaling, under a more realistic workload an XPS 15 will be averaging around 10W.

> Solar panels on you roof is pointless
Solar warm water for household use is efficient in most places, solar PV power... yea, that takes regulations against fossil fuels and/or subsidies for solar.

>Some people enjoy walking in nature you know.
There are power outlets near nature that you can walk into... you know, in houses and so on. A few steps outside from them you may still see nothing but nature.

Or you can just use your laptop at home with much better utilization of that solar panel if you want any, and an internet connection.

Or I could go somewhere where there are no audible/visual signs of civilization and still have Internet. I actually do so quite often. It's fine if you want to waste your life in your mom's basement but don't go try forcing your utter shit lifestyle on others.

If there is a smartphone antenna, there is a power outlet nearby within some kilometers.

Might as well live near that and go to the same places during the day... but I guess your place is "healthier" or something, right. Gotta love placebo shit.

What the fuck are you on about? I'm supposed to move to the middle of nowhere so I can enjoy nature without venturing more than a few feet from my house? No thanks, that'd get old as fuck after a few days. Besides, what about when I want to go somewhere else? Am I supposed to move every time I want different scenery? What if that power outlet a few km away is in a not as fun location? No thanks, Captain Autismo.

x200/x60 with windows 8

Pin 16 on the OBD2 port is battery positive so you could charge through there but there is often a 10A fuse in that circuit - you wouldn't want to charge more than a fairly modest current through the OBD2 plug anyway as it's not really built for that. Also, make sure you use pin 4 as the earth as it's connected to the chassis earth. Pin 5 is the signal earth and you could bugger things up if you use that.

>10A
Don't think he will have to worry, most of the OBD2 chargers are less than 5W, that means they will be in the ~300mA range

But you don't save money, you could have charged your phone for years with the money you spent on that solar panel.

>messenger bag
You meant a purse? Is it same color as your eyes too?

I seriously have no idea why anyone would pull out a laptop in the great outdoors, or spend enough time on it to deplete the battery.

>everything I need or want will always be accessible to me on demand
>t.has never managed production systems
Sorry, kiddo. Shit happens.

You arnt going to be charging a damn thing with the laptop on. better shut the phone off too.

i don't believe so, his crop was the screen, not the whole laptop

The production of that chink solar cell and your battery bank damaged the enviorment more than producing electricity for your phone would have done.

I gotta go outside to do that

> (OP)
>You can charge macbooks from battery banks. Pic related has enough capacity to change a mbp three times.
Nigga just buy a jumpstart for cars with a USB so you buy an USB => type c cable and you can charge it for more than 7 times cheaper than your expensive powerbank

why on gods green earth would anyone do such an atrocity?

Estonia gets like a week of sun per year.

I have no idea why I'd restrict myself to being stuck inside while computing when I can go sit at a river bank or in a meadow.

If you're on your computer when camping for any reason other than music, you're camping wrong

It sure is "I'm 12 years old and what's this" here.

For you

Because winshit fuckboys will defend using winshit on computers capable of greatness.

>tfw the summer has been really cloudy over here because the solar-power meme has popularized solar-chargers globally and thus all the new solar-cells keep using up all the sun

>tfw there will be no going to the beach in the future because a bunch of jackasses JUST NEED to keep their phones at 100% 24/7 SO badly

>If you're on your computer when camping for any reason other than music, you're camping wrong

>implying I ever want to leave the house