/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P SERIES, HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), and Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AFWJP5yCujw
photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNiqhcPg4-O8lUl6eWXLa4UetXS44WYrbjp0JoULFgPJjHkKrQGklHf77JA2puNJg?key=ZkZtY3pRcFN3MVRlT1RaOENqRGZNSmZTbUUtQmhB
ebay.com.au/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X230-Laptop-i5-3320M-8G-128-Gb-SSD-WiFi-12-5-Win-10-Pro/172744867525?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

just got a t420 what should I upgrade first to the laptop?

Rosetta Stone English.

Install Gentoo

Just got my first T420 today and the CPU/GPU temperatures are disturbing. I have the i7-2620 processor and running Windows 7. In five minutes of turning it on and opening Firefox to install RealTemp, I was at 87 C. Left idling with a Firefox tab open it was consistantly at 60 C. I tried downloading TPFancontrol and the temperature shot up to 95 C, so I just panicked and force shut down. Again, it was only on for about five minutes total.

I'm hesitant to even try reapplying thermal paste and cleaning it now, can't imagine it will make that much of a difference, what do? Should I just try to return it?

What's the oldest ThinkPad you use regularly?

SSD

x60. Still great in the current year.

What are you expecting in the mail, /tpg/?

Get an SSD if you don't already have one, that's the most important thing

What's the point of owning an old thinkpad if you're scared to tinker with it? Change the thermal paste and clean the decade's worth of dust out of the heatsink and it should be fine

Get a compressor and blast that motherfucker clean.

>tfw no retro thinkpad

>overpaying for shit on purpose

>not paying a premium for memes

You're right, I just get really nervous and avoidant about starting things for some reason, then trick myself into giving up entirely. I always think I'll fuck up and somehow set it on fire. Taking it apart now.

>buying a bigger meme than the entire thinkpad meme itself
Post your second gen X1 carbon too user

does anyone have the picture of that thinkpad with the velcro back and a pineapple stuck to it?

Grabbed a T60p outta the Trash, working battery and HDD. 1920x1200 looks great.
Fantastic condition.

If i remember correctly the HDD bay is SATA2 speeds but the ultrabay isn't?
Other than Ram, anything worth a upgrade?

would I be a retard if I brought a new T470 w/ FHD for 800?

There's something wrong with that, i run my i7 2640m T420 with the fan turned off when the cpu temp is

T440p to replace my T420.

can't wait for $150 or $200 in shipping and import fees alone

user don't tell me you like to get blacked

You'd be one if that 800 doesn't include an extended battery

Do all ThinkPad users rummage in garbage bags or did you somehow see this T60p in plain sight?

the 6-cell?
On their website its a discount if you go for the 6-cell over the 3.

Grow a pair and grab a screwdriver
worst thing I ever did to mine was put the screws back in the wrong place

72wh one especially

Plain sight. Company offers free electronics recycling.
The sheer amount of working computers I get handed is ridiculous. MacBooks, Elite-Books, Thinkpads etc.
I once had to recycle a liquid cooled i7 build with some SLI Nvidia cards because "it blue screens on me so I replaced it"

Is it the retarded bottom protrusion one? Or does it come out like the back?

I don't want my battery to make the laptop tilt.

X1 Carbon owner here and I demand respect.

Drop hinges. How would it ever come out the back
Also 25+ hours and slightly better typing angles are a positive user

I finally bought a X220, it should arrive in a few days. What should I check it for, besides Computrace?

does anyone have link to the bios for t420 that allows any wireless card? Also is the minipcie slot under the ram door useful for anything? Does it support ssds?

>he bought a X1 carbon
How's your mac little girl

Post boy pucci

youtube.com/watch?v=AFWJP5yCujw
>how would it ever come out the back

Ill have to think on it then. How bad would battery life be on the 3cell?

ssd

>not reading what I told you
>rossman posting
user please read what I wrote again
Also check notebookcheck or something
It's only 25 dollars anyway I'd rather go big

they can't extend rearward because of the new drop hinge design, you also can't put ports on the back of the laptop with this, the old design the hinge was on 'top' of the laptop

and it literally says the battery capacity
>3-cell 24Wh
>6-cell #1 48Wh
>6-cell #2 72Wh

Wh is Watt-hours. The 3-cell gets 1/3 the life of the big one.

Personally the extended batteries is never something I have or would ever compromise on.

I like it a lot more than my mac pro.

When you've just finished upgrading your T530 and now feel empty on the inside

Please tell me where the fuck you live, holy shit.

my.mixtape.moe/yvasab.zip and yes, i have my main msata ssd as only drive there.

It's originally meant for wwan cards though, you can also use it for eGPU iirc

ah hurp durp Im retarded.

I guess Ill just go for the bigger one. Meh, Ill just get used to the elevated angle if its really that superior.

Oh okay that's pretty neat then

is the western digital one good?

Yeah, looking at it now, it seems there was somehow no thermal paste on it at all, and I have never seen a fan as dirty as this in my life. I swear it even has dog hair embedded in it. It's like the damn thing was left in the corner on the floor of a musty library closet for eight years.

Part of the optical drive and underneath the keyboard is also a little bit rusty, the arrow keys are sticking a little and making loud clicking noises when depressed. Hopefully that can be fixed by cleaning as well. Wish I hadn't throw out my spare keyboard.

thanks for the help! can I flash this with linux or do I need windows.

no

>mac pro, 1st gen x1, 5th gen x1

then which one that is 250 gb?

i did it with windows in a small partition because it seemed like the most straightforward way to do it

also if you're changing the bios remember to change the default bios boot logo for an Akarin image because she a qt

samsung 850 evo

Other pre 2000 thinkpad users, is your machine capable of proper screen resolution scaling?

My 380ED wont scale when in 640x480, only makes a little box in the center of the screen

The Pastebin link on the sticky lists an Alienware screen mod for the T420. Has anyone here tried one out? I can't bear the screen on my computer and desperately want to change it

Really? Someone in /tpg/ told me the t420 wwan slot couldn't take an msata.

yes

It's capped to SATA2 speeds though, unlike the main HDD slot and optical drive slot which can do SATA3 speeds.

I don't have it personally but it's pretty good

But it's also glossy

ah, then I'm probably be better of with a regular SSD and an HDD in the optical drive. Why did you do that? did you just happen to have a spare msata ssd?

send the thinkpad back, get a refund.
As the unholiest tripfag of Sup Forums I recommend you buy a mac, get the fuck out of /tpg/ and post on BTFO window threads

T61 but I'm surprised on the screen delay, I don't remember how bad it was.

Seconding this.

there's no difference to a SATA2 SSD

Its fucking night and day.
Didn't take much photos of it. Will need to post a video reviewing it.
>photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNiqhcPg4-O8lUl6eWXLa4UetXS44WYrbjp0JoULFgPJjHkKrQGklHf77JA2puNJg?key=ZkZtY3pRcFN3MVRlT1RaOENqRGZNSmZTbUUtQmhB

My 380Z did that too, but I never was able to figure out how to install windows on that device.
It might be a loose screw... I had removed one screw on a 770 I've had and the screen is just gray... lol

>did you just happen to have a spare msata ssd?
Yes this is one of the reasons but it doesn't bother me because i don't notice the difference in daily usage, my desktop has a SATA3 SSD and it's the same shit.

you can use 3 drives at the same time

three drives full of anime

Looking to get a new laptop(Current main laptop is X140e, which is nice for light tasks)
Budget: $ >500
Size: 13'' to 17''(unsure)
Performance: would like dedicated GPU but unsure
Other requirements: I'm a CS/InfoSec student. I got to security competitions, do password cracking, digital forensics, report writing, penetration testing, movie watching and gayming. I'm thinking a T or W series, used on ebay.

what do yall think?

That looks usable at the very least. I don't care if it is glossy. The current screen is almost unusable. Colours are washed out at any angle except head-on, and the screen takes many seconds to display colours properly.

Which specific Alienware screen should I look for and what's the resolution? Can I find it on Aliexpress?

>Budget: $ >500
>greater than 500

Got an x230 i5, 8gb ram ready to go for $175

Should I pull the trigger? Should I lowball to $150?

sorry im retarded

I don't understand why everything has to have a drop hinge now. I like my normal hinges and my normal port placement.

It's $25 user, is it worth the risk of losing a good deal for a computer you would enjoy for such a small amount?

new wireless card for my t420, pack of trackpoint nubs, msata ssd, slice battery, extra charger

I did it bros, I have a t430 coming in a few days, you guys wouldn't meme me would you?

Does someone use t430 with i5 3320m and 8GB for programming in vs/unity. Could it work ?

>ywn own this beauty

no it will trigger world war 3

/tpg/ I did it, I bought a brand-new T460 from ebay for about 500 eurodydoos, slapped a SSD on it and I could not be happier. What have I been missing all my life? Is this the thinkpad experience? I love it

: /
I'm asking about the performance

Are msata's worth getting?
Or are they overpriced for bad performance?
Thinking about getting one for my t420.

only get one if you plan on using 3 drives at the same time or want to have the optical drive slot and the main hdd slot empty

I bought an x220 about a week ago. Out of the box worked fine the battery life wasn't crazy but it was running well off the cord. Today when I went to open up my laptop it refused to boot unless I put the power cord in. My battery just stays at 63% and windows is telling me it's plugged in and not charging is all. Is this some sort of software issue or am I looking at buying a replacement battery so early on.

No, get a Samsung 850 or an Intel equivalent. Samsung is much better though, since they fabricate everything rather than just shoving together parts like Intel does.

>buying second hand memepad
>run game
>heats up
>smells like boiling cum-dick
>cum crusts

Do the T60 and T61 use the same type of ram? I have 2x2GiB sticks in my T60 and 2x1GiB sticks in my T61 and I'd rather swap em entirely because I don't really need more than 1.5GiB on my T60

thoughts on the t61?

my thinkpad arrives soon and i can't wait to get comfy and meme with it

Is this piece of shit worth anything?

Can I sell it for enough to buy the new halo game?

>oh hey bro you mind if we sit... OOHHHHHhhhh FUCK DUDE! Is that a fucking x230?! No way, brah! And... my goodness! Is that a real x220 keyboard you're flocking in its sockin? That's fucking scandatious bombatious, my man. I just got 32 gig RAM in my littl beast, dude. Bro, what GNU slash Linux distro do I see there? Hang on let me look, bro. Oh okay, bro, okay bro, ubuntu is pretty gnarly but, ya know, I'm more of a freeBSD kind of guy. Anyway, dude, my squad and I need to fly so catch ya on the flip side, bro.

just bought a x230, 8gb ram 180ssd i5 for 280AUD. Did i do good Sup Forums?

How did you do that?

I got a x230 with 500gb HDD, 4gb memory for $270

What accessories you use to get comfy thinkpad experience?
I was thinking of getting a ring mouse, to minimize stress on my wrist.

ebay. just kept watching and found a deal.

just did a quick search, best i just found was $330

ebay.com.au/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X230-Laptop-i5-3320M-8G-128-Gb-SSD-WiFi-12-5-Win-10-Pro/172744867525?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

That's fucking sexy

I use my X40 every day. I put an SSD in it and a different Wifi card and it has a new Chinese extended battery, gets a good 10 hours of battery life.

It's comfy, no botnet.